Colorblind

Colorblind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Shin Jungwoo woke up on Friday morning earlier than her alarm clock. It doesn’t happen very often, as she usually falls asleep late at night after finishing her work for the day, planning for the next, and letting the day run its course until she threw her body on a mattress for a much-needed rest. Most of the time, she spends the rest of her day in a dancing studio, picking a song that would enable her to release the frustration of the day, be it from parents who complained that their kids dance inappropriately, to simple but triggering things like when she slipped in the bathroom because Hyowon forgot to scrub the floor after she washed her hair.   The other days when she’s not holing up in a studio, however, were when she enjoyed the company of another woman. She might meet them in meetings, at a mixer for entertainment higher-ups, even at libraries. It’s undeniable that she found women to be more attractive, finding inspiration from their soft and sharp features, and seeking solace from the harsh reality that is the world.   It might be selfish for her to find comfort from other women, but she makes sure to draw a fine line, not promising any commitment. And the women that flock to her know the risks of being in a mutual homoual association with a prominent figure in the dancing community; of having to ‘share’ her with other women who are as careless as they are.   The lucky few that fascinated Jungwoo enough to pull her into their bedroom never go as far as binding her to a committed relationship, even if they’re aware of the fine line she drew from the first meeting. Instead of seeing it as a warning, it becomes a challenge, to see how far they could go before Jungwoo back away and cut off the arrangement.   Being with Jungwoo is an escape, and only a few stayed in the arrangement before they realize she’s consistently stubborn in not wanting to be committed in any romantic relationship.   Speaking of an escape…   I’m sorry I was out of line… Can we meet sometime before you meet Suzy? 05.13 AM   Jungwoo read the message when she was having her morning tea. Breathing out slowly, she knew she had to cut it off with Nara soon.   Kwon Nara came to her looking to escape from destiny, finding out early in her life that her soulmate is a childhood friend who grew up as a fellow actor although she had never been attracted to men before. At their first meeting on an award show backstage, Jungwoo was in disbelief that the actress openly flirted with her. It was fun with her before; the woman was into the same things Jungwoo want, understanding her limits and boundaries. The arrangement went downhill fast when she was pushed by her family into a public relationship with her soulmate. If she didn’t mind that there were other women beside her before, she does now, clinging more to the dancer at the mention of the other women.   Ignoring the message for now, Jungwoo closed her eyes and concentrated on the yoga music instead, slowing her breathing to take in the fragrance of brewed tea.   “Oh? You woke up early today, Unnie.”   Opening her eyes, Jungwoo found Hyowon sauntering to the room, rubbing her eyes. It didn’t feel like a long time since she started meditating but it probably had been, since her tea had gone cold. “I slept so well last night.”   “Yeah? With whom?” Hyowon asked instantly while taking some ingredients from the fridge for breakfast, her back to Jungwoo.   “Myself.”   “Exploring your body, huh? Nice.”   When there was no response, Hyowon looked back and found Jungwoo with a deadpan expression looking straight at her. “I’m sorry,” she mumbled, turning around to continue with breakfast preparation.   “I came home straight last night after preparing next week’s schedule.”   “For Suzy?”   “And ours too. You have that waacking competition next week, right? We’ll prepare the choreography for Suzy after that.”   Hyowon hummed, grabbing two packets of chicken to be defrosted. When she was about to put the packets in the microwave, there was a hard stare from her roommate. “What is it?”   “Didn’t I tell you not to defrost the chicken that way?”   “Ah.”   Jungwoo kept watching as Hyowon put the chicken in a bowl and sighed. “That’s not a microwave-safe bowl.”   “Ah, okay.”   “And don’t add salt to the chicken.”   “I didn’t!”   “You did!”   “I only put some in mine…” Hyowon mumbled, but it was loud enough for Jungwoo.   “Yah! You’re not supposed to add salt!”   “It’s for flavor! I don’t want my food to be as bland as my love life.” Despite the admonition, Hyowon added a pinch of salt to her chicken before chucking the poultry into the machine. “Not all of us have access to bed partners like you do,” she grumbled.   “Bed partners? What are you, five? Just say it like it is.”   “ partners?”   Jungwoo was an inch away from correcting her but decided not to, wanting to reserve her energy for the rest of the day. Friday meant more classes to teach in the evening and… ah, that’s right. “Hyowon-ah, I’m not joining you for lunch today. No need to buy me food later.”   “Why? Do you have a lunch meeting today?”   “Not exactly, I’m meeting no:ze later.”  
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter