Coincidences

Just My Type
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

 

It's a dull Saturday afternoon as Kyungsoo leaves his local grocery store with a bag of some snacks and a few canned drinks for a little get-together that he's having later on. His best friends Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Minseok are gonna be coming over to his place for his birthday today (the big twenty-five) and he already knows that there'll be plenty of fun and shenanigans throughout the night.

 

So, it's with a small smile as he thinks of said scenarios that he walks towards the other side of the strip mall that he's at to get to one of his favorite Chinese food places. Any other day and he'd drive to and fro (especially on a cloudy day like this where it looks like it's gonna rain later), but for once he felt like stretching out his legs. Taking in the windy, winter air, looking at the scenery he tends to forgo looking at, and just stopping to smell the roses as they say.

 

But it's just as he's turned the corner and started walking on the sidewalk that'll lead to the Chinese food place that he feels the hairs on his neck stand on end. Without another thought, he stops in his tracks and whips his head and body to look to the right where he sees a taller, cute man with deeply-tan skin walking across the small crosswalk up ahead towards the direction of this sidewalk.

 

Everything about the man seems innocent enough but for some reason, Kyungsoo's innate sense of vampiric beings is seeming to ping loudly as he stares at the retreating man who coincidentally heads inside towards the Chinese food place. With a sigh, Kyungsoo continues walking before he heads inside too.

 

Because Kyungsoo's not just a regular man wanting to get some spicy stir-fried pork, he's also a vampire hunter.

 

---

 

Some years back, Kyungsoo had apprenticed under a very well-known vampire hunter in his area, who also became one of his best friends. Namely Minseok Kim, a prodigy at hunting evil vampires who got to his position at the mere age of fifteen. Now at the age of twenty-eight, Minseok's still hunting them but also with the help of Kyungsoo who eventually leveled up per se from apprentice to a journeyman.

 

Anyway, whenever an evil vampire goes on a rampage, their state's governor calls on the two of them to help catch and if need be, incapacitate said vampires. Thankfully, it doesn't get to that point often, and it's only like two or three times a month that they even have to hunt an evil vampire down anyway since the majority of vampires out there are frankly sweet, enchanting folks.

 

And so, whenever Kyungsoo senses a vampire in his vicinity, usually he ignores the feeling since it's not like the vampire will automatically cause anyone any harm. But with this vampire that's currently ahead of him in line right now? Everything about him seems to be the complete antithesis of a typical vampire.

 

For one thing, it's daytime still and typically vampires don't leave their homes until the nighttime since the sun provides them great discomfort (even if it's cloudy like today). Secondly, the savory smell of garlic wafts in the air as someone walks away from the counter with their bagged food yet the man doesn't even so much as flinch.

 

Then, when the man suddenly turns to glance back at him and Kyungsoo quickly looks away with his ears getting warm, he notices in that split moment that the man's also wearing silver jewelry. From his stud earrings to his plain silver chain. Silver is another thing that vampires never seem to be able to stand for long periods of time. They don't melt if they touch a silver coin or anything but silver jewelry is something that Kyungsoo's grown up hearing is a big no-no for them.

 

So how...? How is this guy who's most definitely a vampire so...well, interesting?

 

Maybe he's a newly-turned vampire, or lost one of his senses somehow etc. Kyungsoo keeps thinking of various scenarios as he checks out the man's well-built back before the man finally gets his turn to order and he feels instant butterflies at the sound of the man's deep, honey-like voice.

 

"Hey, Lu, didn't know you worked today!" the cute vampire man greets the cashier.

 

"Ha yeah bro--" the cashier says as they both apparently do a quick bro handshake. "--how've ya been?"

 

And so, the two of them chat for a short moment before the cashier asks the cute man what he'd like to order, and the man replies with roast duck, some white rice, and like six fried chicken wings. Kyungsoo mentally nods to himself thinking about how he's most definitely not just cute but also a man with good taste.

 

Then, after he pays and gets his receipt, the man walks a bit to the side to wait and Kyungsoo walks closer to the counter to order. Only thing is, the man hasn't sat down or anything but looks like he's waiting to talk to the cashier some more since no one else is behind Kyungsoo in line.

 

And so, he tries to keep his cool as he orders for some spicy stir-fried pork and takes in a breath when he notices the man checking him out from the corner of his eye. When he's paid and gotten his receipt, he looks over to the man whose eyebrows raise a bit before he gives a small smile and Kyungsoo fully blushes before he looks away and moves to sit down and wait for his food.

 

Then, while the cute man and the cashier chat, Kyungsoo lightly slaps his hands onto his own cheeks (pushing his glasses up a bit) to somehow get a hold of himself. The two friends then chuckle over something or another and Kyungsoo inwardly groans from how cute the man's laugh is too.

 

---

 

A few minutes later, the cute man's food is ready and the cashier hands it to him but not before telling him that he's added 'a lil' somethin' somethin' on the house' for him as well. And at that, Kyungsoo's ears perk up since usually when a cashier says that, they mean free food. And by the delighted tone of the cute man as he says Thanks bro, I owe ya!, Kyungsoo's hunch definitely must be right.

 

"Hehe, don't worry about it," the cashier says to the cute man. "Anyways, I'll see ya later?"

 

They both then do their lil' handshake again before the cute man nods and turns to walk away. "Yeah man, I'll come back next week."

 

"Alright bro, see ya then!"

 

The cute man grins and says Later before he fully walks away, but as he passes by Kyungsoo, he gives him a little smile again before he walks out--the bell at the door dinging at his departure.

 

Kyungsoo then takes in a deep breath, feeling like he can breathe again now that the cute man's gone, and when he looks over at the cashier, it's with wide eyes that he finds that the man was already watching him.

 

The man laughs as Kyungsoo chokes on his spit and asks, "Yo, you okay bro?"

 

When Kyungsoo finally catches his breath, he replies with a Yeah, yeah of course.

 

"Hmm...Hey uh I don't mean to pry but...are ya like, interested in my bro?"

 

Kyungsoo immediately starts blushing again, internally wondering if he was really that obvious (he was) and why this guy thinks that this is appropriate to ask a random customer. Like what if Kyungsoo just had some medical condition that caused his face to blush easily no matter who, what or when, hm? (Thank goodness it's fairly empty inside right now otherwise Kyungsoo would wanna dig a hole in the floor outta embarrassment.)

 

Anyway, at this long pause with Kyungsoo not giving a response, the cashier leans a bit forward onto the counter with his chin resting on his palm as he continues, "'Cause well if you are interested in him, I could set the two of you up for a date?"

 

Kyungsoo ends up choking on his spit again at that, and the other man guffaws before he hears a call in Mandarin from the kitchen and tells him that he'll be right back. When he returns, it's with his food in a to-go bag and so Kyungsoo gets up from his seat to walk over and get it. He gives a quiet Thanks as he's handed his food and the guy smirks a bit as he tells him Again, if you are interested, you should stop by on Monday, like this time again.

 

And finally Kyungsoo responds with, "But why me? Like okay, say I am...interested and think your friend is hella cute--"

 

The man grins wide and is about to respond just as the phone starts to ring. "--wait hold on."

 

He then asks the person on the other end if they can please hold for a moment before he mutes the call and gestures for him to continue. Kyungsoo scratches the back of his neck as he adds, "Um, but like why do you think he'd wanna go on a date with a complete stranger though?"

 

"Oh bro haha," the man starts, still smiling. "Can I call you bro?"

 

"Uhhh, I guess?"

 

"I can just tell, okay? Like he thought you were really cute too."

 

Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows as he looks at him, looking for any signs of deception, only to come up empty. This man's telling the honest truth.

 

"I-I'll think about it," Kyungsoo finally replies, and the man lets out an Okay, see ya next time before he unmutes the phone to apologize for the wait and all that.

 

And so, Kyungsoo walks out with his food before he sees someone heading towards the Chinese food place and holds the door open for them as they head inside and thank him. And it's with a head-nod that Kyungsoo turns and heads on home, with so many thoughts running in his head.

 

---

 

Two days later, after debating with himself over this (and then asking his best friends if he should or not), Kyungsoo heads on over to the Chinese food place again to see that cute- man.

 

He's dressed better than he was the last time (i.e. he's combed his hair and put on his tight fitting sweater and jeans) and as he steps inside the place, he feels his heart pound faster as his eyes instantly lock on the cute man who's at a table facing the door. As soon as their eyes meet, the man grins wide and bashfully looks down at the table while the cashier from before says something to him from the counter that Kyungsoo can't quite make out.

 

Either way, Kyungsoo takes in a deep breath before he walks over to the man's table and asks if it's alright for him to sit there.

 

"Yeah, sure--of course!" the cute man says, gesturing to the seat. He's dressed in a loose pastel striped sweatshirt and jeans combo but has his bangs separated at the side and is that a bit of eyeliner on him? Basically, the man looks ing good today as well.

 

"Yo bro, introduce yourself," the cashier suddenly stage-whispers, and Kyungsoo's not sure if he's talking to him or his friend.

 

Funnily enough, he and the cute man start introducing themselves at the same time before they stop, laugh and then try again with Kyungsoo introducing himself first.

 

"Kyungsoo?" the man replies with a y half-smirk. Then, he seems to think about something before his smirk turns to a pout while his eyebrows furrow. "Wait, where have I heard that name before...?"

 

And that surprises the hell outta Kyungsoo since he's not really that famous (by his real name, that is) besides maybe the people who personally know him as Minseok's protégé.

 

"Kyungsoo...Kyungsoo..." the man says, still thinking about it.

 

Meanwhile, Kyungsoo can't help but stare as he checks the man out some more. Then, he finds himself asking for the man's name, to which the man's eyebrows raise.

 

", look at me being rude--I'm sorry um--my name's Jongin--" He sticks out a hand to shake. "--nice to meet you."

 

"U-uh, yeah, you too," Kyungsoo awkwardly replies as he adjusts his glasses and then moves to shake Jongin's hand while the cashier audibly facepalms at their interaction.

 

"Sorry, I'm just--I-I'm kinda nervous right now," Jongin responds, still shaking his hand. He then realizes and lets go, and Kyungsoo internally coos as Jongin pouts again. "I've never like, been in this situation before."

 

Kyungsoo's eyebrows raise a bit. "What situation?"

 

"Um, ya know, finding a hot guy that thinks I'm hot back--"

 

"That has to be a lie," Kyungsoo instantly responds.

 

And Jongin laughs in surprise. "It's not! I mean, yeah there might've been some mutual attractions with other people before but, I dunno, I've never set to go on a date--" Kyungsoo's cheeks get so warm at that. "--with someone else without ever speaking to them before."

 

The cashier cuts in, "That's what a blind date is, Jongin."

 

And at that, as Kyungsoo looks over at him--he finally realizes something. First, besides the three of them, there are no other people here and second, it's Monday. No other Chinese food place (or matter of fact, most Asian restaurants) would be/is open today, so did this guy open up the shop just to give them some time to get to know each other?

 

From Kyungsoo's pensive expression, it seems like the guy can tell what he's thinking and it's with a smile that he adds, "Anyways, I'll give you two an hour before I gotta close up shop, okay?"

 

And before Jongin can respond, the cashier winks and then scurries off to the back, the doors swinging shut behind him.

 

"Umm..." Jongin starts. "So uh...tell me a little bit about yourself?"

 

Kyungsoo can't help but giggle at how surprisingly awkward he is. "Okay, uh where do I start? Uhh, you already know my name, so hm...Uhh so I'm twenty-five, just had my birthday two days ago and uh--"

 

"Oh my, really? Wow, what a coincidence," Jongin says, leaning a bit forward now. "My birthday's today! I'm twenty-four now."

 

Kyungsoo's eyebrows raise. "Oh, really? Well, Happy birthday!"

 

Jongin's eyes crinkle as he grins and Kyungsoo internally swoons. "Thank you~"

 

Kyungsoo lets out an Unh-huh and finds his own lips curling up as he watches the way that Jongin's eyes twinkle before he continues his introduction. "Um, so where was I...? Oh yeah, so um I'm twenty-five...I love watching MMA fights aha, I love to cook and uh take nature pics...Um, what else..."

 

"Ooh, you cook? What are your favorite dishes to make?"

 

"Um, it kinda depends on my mood I guess. Some days I like making Doenjang-jjigae, other days some like spam and pasta. And then uh other days I like to experiment like just yesterday I made this dish called Chicken Kiev." He then grabs his phone from his pocket and searches through his photo gallery to find the photo he took of the dish before he shows it to Jongin, who looks so cute as his jaw drops in awe. "It was definitely fun but also...humbling to make, let's just say haha."

 

"Wow, that looks so good."

 

"Hehehe thanks and um what about you? Do you cook?"

 

"Ehhh, kinda? I only started cooking things myself like a year ago ehe. I dunno why I never took up cooking 'til now, like growing up I'd always hover around my family when they'd cook stuff but everytime I tried cooking anything myself--I'd burn either myself or the food. Like it was so freakin' bad that I thought I was cursed from a past life or something."

 

Kyungsoo laughs. "I'm imagining you burning like water or something."

 

"I literally did that once! My older sisters still tease me about that to this day haha."

 

"Hehehe, well what about now--what can you cook?"

 

"Well...obviously the basics like, y'know eggs, rice, pasta and uh toast hahaha."

 

"Hm, good good," Kyungsoo replies, nodding his head.

 

"Haha but besides that I've been--"

 

Suddenly, Jongin stops and whips his head to look back at where the cashier went before he seems to remember where he is and turns to look at Kyungsoo again with wider eyes. Obviously, this surprises Kyungsoo who in turn asks him what's wrong.

 

Jongin opens his mouth to say something before he closes it right back.

 

"Is your friend okay back there? Did he call for you?" Kyungsoo then pries, since that's about the only thing that he could think of that'd make Jongin react like that.

 

And if Jongin seems surprised over him asking that, he doesn't show it as he shoots up to stand and says Um, I'll be right back before he dashes off towards the back. Kyungsoo doesn't even think twice before he gets up too and quickly follows after him.

 

---

 

As they run through the surprisingly long path to the backroom, Jongin turns to look back at him and asks, How are you keeping up with me?

 

Kyungsoo pretends that he didn't hear that though as he asks again what's wrong. Many scenarios are popping up in his head right now, like how maybe the cashier had reached for something and a shelf collapsed on him (but then, he would've heard whatever Jongin had heard too) or maybe there's a fire that's building back there or...

 

Just then, Jongin pushes his arms out to open the backroom doors that they then both pass through before he whips his head around the room to search for something. Meanwhile, Kyungsoo fixes his glasses that went kinda askew from the running and notices the cashier squatting down on top of a corner table, going from looking frightened to relieved and then confused as he sees the two of them.

 

Then, Kyungsoo sees something that'll stay with him for probably the rest of the week. One second, Jongin's right next to him looking around, and then he watches as Jongin zips to bend down and catch what turns out to be a large, brown rat that was huddled up next to a pile of junk.

 

The cashier cringes at the sight of it and repeatedly tells Jongin to get it out, to which Jongin jogs back towards the main lobby, most likely to deposit it somewhere outside. Kyungsoo then turns to the cashier, who still looks a bit shaken, as they carefully step down onto the floor and he moves closer to offer a hand so that they don't fall.

 

"Thanks," the guy says once he's down.

 

"No problem," Kyungsoo responds before he hears the sound of footsteps coming towards them and sees Jongin back in the room again.

 

Jongin's not even panting or sweating, but the speed from his running has caused his hair to lift up a bit like a bird's nest and Kyungsoo has to refuse the strong sudden urge to fix it for him. Fortunately, Jongin notices where his eyes are looking at and lifts his hand up to feel and then preen his hair.

 

None of them say anything for a long, agonizing moment until Kyungsoo starts with a simple Uhhh...

 

"I-I guess I have some explaining to do?" Jongin replies with an awkward smile.

 

"...You mean like about how you're a vampire?" Kyungsoo responds.

 

Jongin nervously rubs the back of his left ear. "You could tell?"

 

And even if Kyungsoo didn't have his profession, he'd still find that surprisingly funny like he does right now. With an incredulous smile, he replies, "Yeah, what other being can run as fast as you just did and not have like fur all over them?"

 

"Okay, you got me there. But, how come you caught up with my speed like that? Are you like half-vampire or something?"

 

And this time, Kyungsoo's the one looking sheepish as he mumbles out a No.

 

"Then, what are you?" the cashier asks, moving to stand by Jongin. They're just about the same height, it seems.

 

Jongin turns to him. "C'mon Luhan, let's not interrogate the guy."

 

"I'm not--it's just a simple question," the cashier Luhan replies, eyebrows furrowed.

 

"Mhm."

 

"Really! I'm not--"

 

"Um, you guys?" Kyungsoo says to get them to stop. Fortunately, they do and both turn to look at him. "Okay so um, lemme just start off by saying that I love vampires--"

 

"Oh gosh, don't even finish that sentence, bro," Luhan says, scrunching up his face. "You sound like you're about to say somethin' hella offensive and if you do I'mma have to kick your ."

 

"Wha--? No, I'm not--ugh--" Kyungsoo replies, before looking at Jongin who gives him a nervous look. "--I'm not a bigot. Just--just, please don't hate me after I tell you what I actually am, okay?"

 

Jongin nods while Luhan places an arm around Jongin's shoulders as he glares at Kyungsoo.

 

"I...I hunt vampires," Kyungsoo finally says, nervously fiddling with his hands. "But only the evil ones, like the major creeps and mass murdering types."

 

And at that, Jongin gasps while Luhan brings him closer as if to protect him. With his hands out to show that he means no harm, Kyungsoo opens his mouth again to continue before Jongin cuts him off.

 

"Wait, now I remember where I've heard your name from!" He suddenly zips closer until he's right in front of him, causing Kyungsoo to flinch and lean back to look up at him before his nervous expression turns to one of utter confusion as he sees that Jongin's eyes are twinkling. "Are you Minseok Kim's protégé, Kyungsoo Do?"

 

Kyungsoo furrows his eyebrows while trying not to show his shock. "How...do you know that?"

 

And Jongin grins (while taking a step back as he realizes just how close he is). "Are you kidding? You two are famous in my kind's world! Somehow two humans have managed to take out the most horrid vampires that even my kind couldn't take out by ourselves! I know all about what you and him do~"

 

"You--you do?" Kyungsoo leans forward a bit and his lips involuntarily curl up. "So, we're actually cool in your guys' eyes?"

 

"Hell yeah!"

 

"Wait a minute--holy ," Luhan suddenly says as he seems to realize something, and they both turn to look at him. "You said Minseok Kim, right? Short, cuddly-looking, has a cute gummy smile, Minseok Kim?"

 

Kyungsoo glances up at an amused Jongin before looking back at him. "Yeah...? You know him?"

 

"He orders food from here sometimes, and for some reason, he always gives his full name when he comes to pick it up. It's kinda funny actually."

 

"Huh. Small world," Jongin supplies.

 

"Ha, I know right," Luhan says before turning to look at Kyungsoo. "Anyways, your secret's safe with us, bro. We won't tell a soul."

 

"Uhh, thanks? But it's--it's not really a secret that I hunt vampires, it's only 'cause I could tell that Jongin's one so, I-I didn't know if that'd be weird or not."

 

"Ahh, makes sense."

 

"It's not weird at all!" Jongin adds at the same time, pouting cutely. "And like, I'd still love to get to know ya better, um if you don't mind?"

 

And Kyungsoo lets out a chuckle, his eyes crinkling. "Hehehe, well hm do ya like coffee?"

 

Jongin furiously nods and grins. "Yeah, I'd love to get some with you~"

 

"What? Since when do you like--?" Luhan starts before Jongin zips over to him and places a hand over his mouth.

 

Luhan harshly nudges Jongin in his side, causing Jongin to let out an Ouch and Kyungsoo just chuckles some more. Then, Jongin looks back at him and asks, "Um, would you like to get some now? Change of scenery and all that?"

 

"Yeah hehe, I'd love that."

 

---

 

And so, after they wave goodbye to Luhan, they leave him to close up the shop before they walk together towards the coffee shop that's conveniently across the street from the strip mall. As they wait at the crosswalk to cross the street, Kyungsoo asks Jongin the most pressing questions on his mind like how Jongin's out when it's the daytime and how he's so easily wearing silver jewelry and such.

 

Apparently, Jongin's kind of an anomaly in his clan. Where, although he's obviously a vampire, his blood is mixed with the blood of other supernatural beings aka he's not a 'pure-blood' vampire. Specifically, he has a tree nymph great-grandmother on his mother's side and a kumiho (nine-tailed fox) great-great-great-grandmother on his father's side. Both of his ancestors' supernatural powers helped lead everyone else in their bloodline to tolerate and even love what a majority of other vampires detest and despise.

 

"So yeah, um it was kinda hard growing up and being told by others how strange I was just 'cause of stuff like that. But once I graduated college...I moved away and got my own place here. And honestly it's been amazing," Jongin says just as they enter the coffee shop.

 

"I'm sorry you had to go through all that though," Kyungsoo responds with a frown.

 

"Nah, it's fine--it's in the past. I'm just glad that I took the leap and left otherwise I wouldn't have met all the cool, different beings that I've met here so far. Also, I only realized kinda recently that a lot of half-fairies live around here--when I told my ma that she got so jealous 'cause she's always wanted to meet one hehe."

 

Kyungsoo smiles and then finally lets him know about how he's actually a quarter fairy because of his maternal grandma. And the way that Jongin's jaw drops gets Kyungsoo laughing so loud that he doesn't even mind the stares that the two of them get from the other patrons inside.

 

---

 

A few minutes later, the two of them walk towards a window table with two coffees to continue their date with. And Jongin asks Kyungsoo about his life story and how he became a vampire hunter.

 

Kyungsoo silently takes a sip of his coffee as he thinks of where to start. Because honestly from a young age, he's always wanted to help people. And as he got older and saw various news of mass-murders caused by evil vampires, he knew that he wanted to help stop any future ones. And like fate, he met Minseok and well, the rest is history.

 

In the end, he asks, "Um, do you want the short version or the long version?"

 

Jongin shrugs and smiles. "Either one. Whatever you're most comfortable sharing with me."

 

And so, Kyungsoo tells him a condensed version of his tale in hushed whispers (lest the nosy lady sitting a few tables away goes and tells her friends or something). When he's done, Jongin simply lets out a deep Wow.

 

"Yeah," Kyungsoo simply replies, giving a small smile.

 

Thus, they inevitably chat about ordinary things like their shared hobbies and favorite movies, to favorite foods and drinks, to favorite musicians and then favorite R&B singers. Ya know, just the basics. And then, one hour turns to two then three and their conversation gets deeper as they get to know each other better (and they end up ordering some food as well).

 

And Kyungsoo finds with unabashed glee that Jongin's not only cute, slightly awkward, and funny but also a very booksmart man with a gentleness about him that seems to calm Kyungsoo's anxious nerves as they keep chatting with each other. Kyungsoo still feels kinda self-conscious as they chat and thinks hard before speaking to him still, but he finds that that initial worry of looking lame melted pretty dang quickly once he listened to Jongin complain earlier about coffee getting up his nose after the two of them had a long, boisterous laughing fit over a dumb meme.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter