fin.

Missed Melodies

"No way." 

Yujin voiced out as she immediately halted on her steps, wide-eyed at the sight of a script written in black ink on her left wrist that seemingly came out of nowhere, her jaw dropped ever so slightly. 

Her concerned circle of friends stopped walking as well, Youngeun and Dayeon in particular rushed to her side upon seeing the mark that was definitely not there when they met in the morning. 

"UNNIE!" An excited Youngeun exclaimed, "You met them!" She followed her statement. Dayeon had a firm grip on Yujin's wrist, bringing it closer to her eyes as if she's in need of further inspections. 

Dayeon turned her head to face the still shell-shocked Yujin, "Unnie, finally!" She exclaimed after, this time shaking the older as if in attempts to bring her back to earth. 

The eldest looked at the excited faces of her friends, ever the observant, Mashiro tilted her head to ask, "Unnie, is something wrong?" 

"I—I was wearing headphones earlier." She stuttered, the sentence itself caused the excitement on the other three to fall upon the realization. 

Youngeun couldn't hold herself back from hitting her forehead, "Ugh, no wonder, I was thinking you must have been insane for not jumping up and down to finally having the song." 

Yujin turned her head to Dayeon, "Was there a song playing in the campus earlier?" She asked to which the blonde shook her head as a response, "The speakers are still not working, besides, who would be in their right mind to play music for the whole university to hear?" 

Mashiro was looking at her wristwatch, "We better get to our next class though, Yeseo would definitely not be happy if we're late to the cafeteria later." She reminded everyone, something that caused the other three to sigh—but this was just added weight to Yujin instead, now the possibility that she'll never know who her soulmate is definitely glooming over her shoulders. 

Make Me Happy

-------------

All four students rounded a table, Xiaoting in particular had her wrist facing up while she propped her head on her free hand. All they did was stare at the mark that showed up on her wrist, Bom. 

"That has to be from a café, there's no way that isn't from when you picked up your fruitade earlier." Yaning spoke, eyes glued on Xiaoting's wrist that then caused the other to ruffle her hair in frustration.

"I really cannot remember when I have gotten this but upon thinking about it, this does seem like a cafe song." She answered, voice looming with a tinge of regret for not even noticing when she had gotten her mark. 

Yubing looked at them with amused confusion visible on her features, "Why are you even worrying? It's called a soulmate mark for a reason, just find the one you share the song with." She said as if it was a matter of fact, Sury nodded along with the girl. 

"Since we're inferring that it's a café song, why not check it out later? Someone's bound to have heard the same as you and would come back." Sury suggested. 

The subject of the conversation's features finally straightened up, "Here's the thing, if it's really from the café, it's possible that there would be a lot of people with the same song," Xiaoting complained with a grumble, "This is honestly stupid, soulmate marks are supposed to make things easier but it's just making things complicated." 

Yubing laughed before rolling her eyes, "It's already making things easier for you! Just check the café out later, ask around, look for them." Another statement sounding like it's a matter of fact. 

"Do you want us to accompany you?" Sury asked out of concern, to which Yaning furrowed her brows. 

"Nah no, you don't need people to be with you. Gosh Xiaoting, you're already in uni, find your soulmate on your own." Yaning butted in even before Xiaoting managed to answer Sury's offer. 

This caused all three but her to laugh from their table, "Makes sense." Sury decided to retract her offer, something that Xiaoting whined about. 

"Fine, I'll go later in the afternoon." Xiaoting ultimately gave up, "After our classes." 

------------------------------

Afternoon rolled around easily as Xiaoting can be spotted walking towards the café, she really does not have any excuses as to why she would be here but her friends would not let her hear the end of it if she wouldn't stomp back to the café. 

The café is definitely swarming with university students trying to cram their ways through a paper and it immediately brought Xiaoting helplessness. 

Her attention was caught by a customer ordering by the cashier, the tattoo on her wrist ever so slightly visible as it read out, Bom. 

Xiaoting's eyes widened a bit, bringing her gaze up to observe the girl. She's quite tall, with kind eyes and bangs perfectly covering her forehead, her voice was also soothing and meek. Xiaoting took steps approaching her, heart racing abnormally against her chest, palms slowly feeling sweaty due to her nerves. 

"I already told you I'll pay for us, Yurina!" A voice snapped her out of her daze, causing her to look at the owner of the commanding yet gentle voice. Xiaoting had to shift her eyes back to her normal eye level, seeing a tall girl approaching the other. She immediately recognized that it's Huang Xingqiao from her department. 

A giggle escaped Yurina's lips, which caused Xiaoting to now enter a state of heavy confusion. At the corner of her eyes, she spotted Xingqiao making her way towards her after paying. 

"Ting!" Xingqiao called out to her and Xiaoting reflexively hid her hands behind her back before showing a smile back to the woman. 

"Hey, Qiao." She responded warmly, the smile maintained as Xingqiao closed their distance. 

Xingqiao turned her body ever so slightly, holding Yurina's hand as the taller of the two laced their fingers together, presumably to introduce them to each other, "This is Yurina! She's from the vocal department but you might see her hanging out every now and then." She introduced, "and she is Xiaoting, we're all in the same year so be comfortable with each other." 

Xiaoting then nodded politely, "Hello." She shortly greeted, heavily shy with the sudden interaction. 

The other girl showed the same kind smile as she nodded back, "Hello! I'm happy to make your acquaintance." She said before their attention was called by the barista, signing that their order has already finished tending to. 

"I'll see you tomorrow in class then." Xingqiao said her farewell with a small wave before using the same hand to carry their orders, leading Yurina and her out of the café. 

Xiaoting sighed as she walked to the cashier, "Strawberry ade please, medium." She ordered on the whim, wanting to have something to drink on for the moment. 

'Xingqiao also has Bom on her wrist,' Xiaoting thought, 'What a way to bring my hopes high up and shattering it.' She continued thinking. 

The girl inevitably entered a short state of trance before yet another voice broke her out of it, "Hi, I'm sorry, was there a textbook on composition that got left behind?" the sweet voice inquired, Xiaoting turned her head to look at the owner of the voice, an average height girl had both of her hands pressed on the sides of the wooden counter in inquiry. 

Xiaoting felt her heart race once more, the other girl looked way too cute due to her demeanor. Her cheeks raised and eyes turning into moons due to her smile, her propped up hands allowed Xiaoting to look at her wrist. 

'Make Me Happy.' Xiaoting read in her mind, followed by a slight frown as she's starting to ultimately give up on finding who she shares the song with, 'But that doesn't sound bad.' She finished her thoughts, pertaining to the title of the song. 

"Your strawberry ade is ready, Ma'am." The cashier broke her out of her thoughts as she received her order with a nod and a polite thank you. Seemingly out of nowhere, Xiaoting made her way closer to the shorter girl. 

"Hey, is there something wrong?" She struck a conversation up, as if completely forgetting the very fact that it's not in her nature to just talk to anyone, but something about her and maybe her tattoo drew her in. 

The shorter girl turned her head towards Xiaoting, even having to look up slightly to meet her eyes, the simple gesture caused Xiaoting to show a small smile. 

"Yeah, I cannot seem to find my textbook somewhere." The other easily followed on their conversation, even showing off a pout that elicited a giggle from the Chinese. 

"Composition, right? I have a friend in the vocal department that already finished that subject last semester. I can ask for her textbook for you if you'd want—or if you're able to." Xiaoting said as her eyes lingered to her wrist, something that the smaller girl followed. 

The other immediately giggled and shook her head, "Oh, I have done something very, very dumb so I don't think I'll find my soulmate." She answered the unspoken query, "So where they are, I just hope they're happy." she finished. 

Xiaoting felt a huge wave of relief flood her system, though she couldn't help herself to respond with a light laughter, "But your song says exactly the same, how about making you happy?" 

This caused an expression of confusion show on the face of the shorter girl, something that caused Xiaoting's light laughter to grow in volume, "What I'm trying to say is, I'm also dumb and I might also not be able to find my soulmate." She said when her laughter died down into a smile. 

She reached her hand out, the one that said her own title on her wrist, "I'm Shen Xiaoting, Modern Dance department." She introduced. 

The other girl's smile grown into a grin, removing her hands from the counter before reaching out to take Xiaoting's to firmly shake it, "Choi Yujin, Performance Arts department." Yujin introduced in return with a smile. 

---------------------------------------

"It's been days, unnie, do you really not want to try and look for them?" Yeseo asked Yujin; Youngeun and Dayeon were already in the Modern Dance department while Mashiro didn't have class for the day. Yujin took it as her responsibility to take care of the youngest, especially since the both of them are taking up Performance Arts anyway. 

As the both of them walked towards their next class, Yeseo decided to bring the soulmate conversation back up, "I gave that up already, really," Yujin repeated for what felt like the thousandth time already, "It was a stupid decision for me that I couldn't get out Wheein's Make Me Happy in my mind and I just had to listen to it." She said, though this time it seemed like that she's not as disturbed already as she was the first time the realization hit. 

The younger one simply looked at her in awe, highly amused, "But you've been searching for them for a long time already, don't you think it's a waste to not at least know who they are?" She asked. 

A notification rang from Yujin's phone, prompting her to look at the screen before a small smile showed on her lips, which then grew into a bigger one, "I don't really think it's a waste after all." She said, tone almost dreamy in her delivery. 

Yeseo could not hold back from rolling her eyes in her direction, "Seeing you having a crush after your so called loyalty to your soulmate is bizarre, Unnie, and I know you know that." 

Yujin roughly turned her head to face Yeseo, even smacking the arm of the younger, "Why are you suddenly bringing that up!" She said, cheeks starting to color into a full blush, something that Yeseo would point out if only she has more energy to spare. 

The younger one simply rolled her eyes, "What is it with Xiaoting unnie this time?" She dropped the name of the one making Yujin all blushed and flustered, earning yet another smack on her arm. 

"She's asking if it's alright for her to join us for lunch, Youngeun and Dayeon are apparently dragging her to do so and you know how both of them go." She answered the youngest's query, even following the statement with a light chuckle. 

Yeseo gave a smile, "Gosh if I have known you'll be showing this side of yours much earlier, we would have dropped the pushing you to your soulmate thing," She teased, "What did Xiaoting unnie say about her soulmate though?" 

This gave Yujin a pause, though she continued on with her steps, "We haven't really touched that just yet but the faintest idea I have is that she did not notice her mark showing up," She shared, "And it was in a very crowded area so ultimately, she's leaving hers up to destiny if soulmates are indeed true." 

The answer made Yeseo tilt her head slightly, "And what about you? You never really listened to music through headphones when you're in public and would always pay attention to your wrist before." 

"I waited for my soulmate mark all my life, in my head I had a couple of scenarios and you know that," Yujin answered once more, "So honestly, it kind of is disappointing that the situation turned out to be like this: especially that I was actively avoiding circumstances that would lead me to where I am right now. So, what's the harm in leaving it to destiny as well?" She continued. 

The younger was simply in awe, lightly laughing as they continued walking, "As well," She repeated, "Rather than sounding like you're leaving it to destiny, you sound like you want to go through this destiny with someone." 

"Yeseo I swear, I love you but stop talking or I'll smack you for the third time." 

---------------------------------

A teasing grin was on the features of Youngeun and Dayeon, their elbows propped on the cafeteria table as they placed their chins on their palms—blatantly staring at a flustered Xiaoting and was very much apologetic about it. 

"SO, Ting unnie," Youngeun did not even hold back, "Yujin unnie, huh?" She said, even wiggling her eyebrows to further drive the unspoken teasing. 

"H-How did— I don't even talk to you kids about this?" Xiaoting stuttered, evidently flustered about this situation. 

Dayeon was the one to answer, the same teasing tone can be heard from her voice, "We mess around with Yujin unnie a lot and , we saw her phone notified and it was you." 

"Oh," Xiaoting said, still flustered and a growing tinge of red on her cheeks, "What was my contact name?" She dare asked. 

The simple question caused Youngeun and Dayeon to look at each other before propping themselves off the table, laughing out loud that the whole cafeteria was looking at them. The red that was growing on Xiaoting's features finally fully covered her face. 

Xiaoting covered both of their mouths with her palms, "Can you PLEASE be quite, this is so embarrassing—" she said, though the eyes of the two girls still indicate that they are having the time of their lives. 

As if on cue, their eyes shifted to look behind Xiaoting, which caused Xiaoting to turn her head around: seeing a wide-smiled Yujin in company of a small girl approaching their table. 

The tallest removed her palms from their mouths, Youngeun and Dayeon rushed towards Yujin as if they were pets left at home on their own. The two took each side and linked arms with Yujin, sending teasing looks towards Xiaoting to which she replied to them with a glare. 

"We missed you, Unnie!" They said in unison, even driving the teasing worse by shaking their body against Yujin's arms, though it did cause Yujin to sound her usual giggles (which in turn, caused Xiaoting's heart to pound loudly against her chest). 

The other girl looked at the scene in front of her and rolled her eyes, "You guys are embarrassing." She said as she sat on the table that the modern dance department has occupied earlier. Yeseo gave a polite bow to Xiaoting and Xiaoting bowed her head back to the younger. 

The two girls basically dragged Yujin to the same table, only this time she was forced to sit next to Xiaoting as Youngeun and Dayeon moved to occupy each side of Yeseo; immediately chaos and bickering ensued between the three of them as they bantered with loud voices. 

On the other hand, Yujin and Xiaoting shared a silence in nervousness, with shy smiles on their expressions, unable to even look or even spare a glance towards each other. 

"God, you two should talk, stop being brave over just the texts." Dayeon poked fun at the two eldest, earning her a glare from Xiaoting and an attempted threatening one from Yujin. 

This caused the bickering from the three younger girls to die down and instead be replaced with laughter, even Yeseo who is usually demure and serious couldn't hold herself back from laughing. 

The two eldest among the group couldn't hold themselves back from fully blushing, "Do you want us to move tables?" Youngeun stated, to which she immediately received a loud "NO" from the two, causing the laughter fit to return again. 

"Pipe down on the teasing, you two, you're making it harder for them to interact," Yeseo spoke some sense on the chaotic duo, though it was still a playful job at her unnies, "And we better get food already, Yujin unnie has class in an hour and a half." 

The information then caused Xiaoting to look at Yujin, "I can get us something to drink," She said, voice filled with obvious admiration as Yujin then looked back at her. It lingered for a moment before Xiaoting realized and turned her head to look at the other three who already have taunting grins on their lips, "Aaaaand for the rest of the table, of course." She followed up after. 

"Sprite for me, unnie." 

"Ginger ade please!" 

"Cola would sound great, thank you unnie!" 

The three immediately stated their orders in between fits of giggles, Xiaoting couldn't help but lightly laugh at how the situation turned out. She turned back to look at Yujin, as if cueing that she's waiting for the eldest's choice of beverage. 

"I'll go with you." Yujin answered instead, earning a loud "OHHHHHHHH" from the three girls, flustering Xiaoting at the unexpected response. 

"LOOK AT OUR YUJIN UNNIE, she's growing up so fast." Dayeon said, wiping fake tears dramatically as Youngeun faked her own dramatic fit. 

"It feels like yesterday when she was just starting to walk." Youngeun even added in between fake cries. 

"Hey! I'm already dressing and feeding myself by the time you were born so shut it!" Yujin said as she pouted, Xiaoting's eyes were on her the whole time as the smile on her lips seemed like it would always be plastered. 

The tallest stood up, already taking note of the orders of the younger girls, "Let's go?" She asked Yujin, to which Yujin also stood up in reply and a shy smile on her features. 

Yeseo, who has been watching the scene unfold in front of her, spoke, "Unnies just so you forgot, the vending machine is just literally outside the cafeteria doors." She savagely stated, causing Dayeon and Youngeun to snicker at how straightforward the youngest has always been. 

The two of them feigned a frown as they walked back towards the hall in silence, this time it wasn't one that was filled with nerves as they shared it in comfort. 

"You hang out with... lively children." Xiaoting struck up a conversation as they finally arrived in a now much more peaceful hallway in front of the vending machine. 

Yujin lightly laughed in response as she entered her card, allowing the scanner to read it, "They do bring chaos and laughter to my life, I really wouldn't have it any other way." 

The taller girl then feigned a frown towards Yujin's direction, "Hey, I said I'm going to get us the drinks." She playfully whined. 

"You just said get, not buy," Yujin answered back, expression showing that she is very proud of the witty comeback. 

"Still!" Xiaoting responded, "You'd have to let me pay you." 

"Consider this as thanks for the textbook instead, can you consider us even then?" she replied, tilting her head slightly to the right to act cute in front of the taller, something that did make Xiaoting's smile grow into a grin as she heaved a huff. 

The both of them fell into silence, though a smile was shared in between, cans started to sound to indicate that their orders were already dispensed. This brought confusion to Xiaoting, "Wait, you didn't ask for my drink, Miss Choi?" She pointed out. 

"I didn't have to, strawberry soda, yes?" 

Xiaoting was surprised, looking at her with doe wide-eyes, "How did you know?" She asked her. 

"You ordered a strawberry ade from the café when we first met, I figured you would love to have something along the same taste as that and the only option in this vending machine is this." Yujin said as she reached her arm out to give the strawberry soda to Xiaoting, a proud grin on her features, her eyes almost gone due to how widely she had smiled. 

The other girl was visibly taken aback and the red hue on her cheeks was even more of a sign that she is highly pleased with the gesture, Xiaoting accepted the strawberry soda and proceeded to get all of the cans from Yujin's hold. 

"What are you doing?" The older asked, confused as Xiaoting fixed the cans to be carried properly. 

"I at least have to carry them for you, you know, you treated us after all." She said with a grin, "Shall we get going?" She asked, a question that Yujin answered with no words as she simply showed a smile. 

-----------------------------

The weekends arrived without much events, except that it's slowly leading up to the week before their semestral examinations. Everyone was visibly stressed and on the edge, heavily anxious on the hell weeks to come. 

The performance arts students arrived once more in the shared dance practice rooms, it was simply usual for them to share it with the dance department. The performance arts students would rotate daily to share the vocal rooms with the vocal departments and the dance practice rooms with the dance majors. 

Xiaoting can spot Sury from afar, though her friend was not exactly the one she has been searching for. Sury, nevertheless, began a conversation with her and Yubing who has also made her way next to Xiaoting. 

"Ugh, you again?" Yubing faked, Sury on the other hand raised her hand to smack her arm. She then looked up ever so slightly to see Xiaoting still moving her head in search. 

"Ting, you'll be a giraffe at this point. Yujin has vocals today." Sury half teased and half scolded, Xiaoting rolled her eyes towards the blue haired girl which caused the three of them to laugh. The moment Xiaoting opened up to her clique about Yujin, Sury was able to pinpoint the Korean simply because they are from the same class. 

She looked at Sury, "There's no harm in looking still," She answered, "And I really owe Yaning one for the composition." 

Yubing snickered, "Ah, yeah, I haven't even seen this Yujin in person so I was hoping to see her soon too." She said, Xiaoting immediately whipped her head to look at the short-haired girl, playfully elbowing her sides though it was with a bit more pressure. 

The other responded by holding on to the part she was smacked, a grimace on her features, "I'm not even gonna steal her from you, I'm just curious!" She said, whining in pain, the sight caused Sury to laugh out loud. 

"Whatever, stay in your lane." Xiaoting said, almost threatened. 

Straightening her posture, Yubing rolled her eyes, "I'd love to hear that threat if I am after her specific soulmate." She decided to poke at a sensitive topic. 

Xiaoting glared, though Yubing simply showed a domineering grin in response, "And I'd love to hear that threat from someone who would finally admit that she's already with her soulmate, namely Fu Yaning, but the both of them are way too chicken to admit that they are each other's soulmates." 

The sassy response made Sury emit a prolonged "OHHHHHH" as she covered her lips with her hand, as if instigating the situation, "Alright calm down the both of you, enough about this soulmate stuff." She finally decided to step in, "You'll end up getting on each other's nerves when the both of you are in messed up situations that you girls won't do anything about anyway." 

The truth bomb that was dropped generated a sigh from both Xiaoting and Yubing. At the end of the day, Sury is correct. "And that both of you can just go see the vocal rooms later, come up with an excuse if you need to or something." 

So, after their practice, Yubing and Xiaoting found themselves walking to the other wing of the university to visit two vocal students. They waited by the end of the hallway as they chatted between themselves, checking details of the dance with their own drinks in hand. 

Yaning was the first one to be spotted, both Yubing and Xiaoting then circled around her as Yubing reached out the warm drink she had in hand for the vocal major. They caught up with each other, with Yaning primarily the one speaking about the events in the vocal department. 

Soon after, Yujin showed up at the exit of the hallway, visibly looking tired due to practice that just concluded. "Yujin!" She called out, leaving alone Yubing and Yaning following her movements with their eyes. 

Yujin's features immediately gave a smile, "Hey you, I didn't know you'd be here." She said softly, Xiaoting was very much relieved that the older managed to smile. 

"I wasn't meant to," Xiaoting answered, short and vague, though she reached out a cup of warm drink to her, "It's warm honey lemon, you should take care of your vocal cords." She explained. 

A blush made its way to Yujin's cheeks, accepting the drink with both hands as she gave a polite nod towards the taller, "Thank you so much." She expressed her gratitude, retaining her head bowed down in hopes that she wouldn't see her cheeks burning up. 

From a distance, Yaning and Yubing looked at the scene that unfolded, the latter finally associating a face to the name. They couldn't hold back the light chuckle that escaped their lips, Xiaoting was acting too meekly, almost lovestruck, and it was certainly a first for them to see her as such. 

"Oh, Xiaoting!" A voice greeted from a distance, causing everyone to look at the owner of the voice, seeing the kind Yurina making her way to her. 

The Japanese waved her hand, to which Xiaoting waved back at her, "Hello, Yurina, hopefully things are going well?" She asked with a gentle smile. 

Yurina gave a nod and smiled back, "It is, thank you for asking!" She said with enthusiasm before looking at her wristwatch, "Well, I have someplace to be. Goodluck on the examinations!" She addressed to Xiaoting before turning her torso slightly to face Yujin, "Unnie, I'll see you tomorrow!" She bid her goodbye to Yujin as well, still showing the same smile on her face before making her exit. 

Yaning and Yubing blinked at each other, "Did you see her wrist?" Yaning was the one to address the elephant in the room, Yubing just slowly nodded in shock. 

Yujin faced Xiaoting with a smile, though it's one that doesn't seem to reach her eyes, "I'll get going as well," She bid her goodbye to Xiaoting. 

Xiaoting felt an uneasiness in her system, though she is still not in the position to be pushy about it, "Oh, do you have class?" Xiaoting asked, though she knows that the older one already has the afternoon free. 

The other contemplated whether to lie but decided against it, she shook her head as a sign of no, "However, I wanted to rest." She said. 

The Chinese looked at her, weary is indeed obvious on her face, "Can I walk you to your dorms then?" She offered. 

Even from a distance, Yaning and Yubing could observe the hesitation that covered Yujin's eyes. They're almost certain that Xiaoting could also see it but is currently clueless as to why they are in that situation, they're also almost certain that Yujin would reject the advances. 

"Okay," Yujin said, surprising the both of them, they whipped their heads to look at each other with eyes slightly widened. A huge smile broke out of Xiaoting's lips, already taking Yujin's sling bag from the girl so she'd carry it for her, "Okay." She softly replied back. 

Xiaoting looked back to Yaning and Yubing, the latter two already having a relieved look at their faces before a teasing smile was shown. She rolled her eyes at her friends as the two made their way closer to Yujin and her. 

"Yujin unnie!" Yaning enthusiastically greeted with a smiling Yubing beside her, "This is Yubing, she's in the modern dance department with Ting here." She introduced Yubing to the older. 

The two of them greeted each other, politely bowing as Yujin spoke, "Hello! You can just call me Yujin unnie as well." She introduced with a series of nods. 

"Oh! No," Yaning interrupted before letting a light laugh out, "Yubing here is older than you." She clarified. 

Yubing let a smile out, eyes turning into crescents as she retained her gaze on the performance arts major, "Well, you can call me Yubing unnie then." She playfully teased, generating a blush from Yujin. 

Xiaoting immediately stood between Yubing and Yujin, her tall figure effectively blocking the two Chinese from Yujin's gaze, "Alright, enough of that, she needs to rest." 

The two promptly let a laugh out, staring up at her to meet Xiaoting's intense gaze as if telling the both of them to back off, even bringing two of their hands up as if in surrender. Yujin stepped out of Xiaoting's back, a soft chuckle escaping her lips. 

"It was nice meeting you, Yubing unnie." She finalized as she bowed once more before looking at Yaning, "I'll see you tomorrow then!" she told Yaning. 

Xiaoting turned her body as if leading their leave, Yujin walking along her side as they finally exited the building. 

They walked together in silence, though a heavy atmosphere can be felt in between the two of them. Dayeon was right after all, the two of them were only really brave over texts. Although their silence would usually be comfortable, something does feel off that even the usually dense Xiaoting has felt it. 

She was about to open her lips to start a conversation when the older started speaking, instead pursing her lips into a smile as she turned her head to the side to look at Yujin already poking her drink lid open with a straw. 

"You really didn't have to, you know." She said, taking a small sip, eyes still on the road ahead of them. 

Xiaoting chuckled, "Have to what?" 

"Buy me a drink, walk me home while carrying my stuff, did you also wait earlier?" 

"I didn't mind nor would I mind." Xiaoting answered shortly, even shaking her head slightly though she knew that the other couldn't see it. She returned her gaze to the road ahead of them. 

"You still took your time, you could have rested. You have a week ahead of polishing your performances, you should get some rest whenever you can." Yujin's choice of words sounded like she's scolding the younger, though her tone says otherwise: worried and meek. 

Xiaoting lightly laughed, "Well, I feel like I'm currently resting," She answered truthfully, looking down slightly at the pavement as she felt her cheeks starting to warm up. 

The heavy silence started being lighter for a moment before it returning back to its weight, "I do feel like I am a nuisance to you though, I'm already taking up a lot of your time through texting, and—" 

"Hey," Xiaoting stopped in her tracks, causing Yujin to stop on her own steps to turn her head to look at the girl—only to see the other already looking at her. Yujin adjusted her body to face her. 

"You're not a nuisance," the taller assured, "I wanted to buy you something, I wanted to wait for you to finish your rehearsals, and I wanted to walk you home. I'm wanting to do all these with you." 

The honesty the taller showed has taken Yujin aback, staring at her with lips ever so slightly parted and eyes widened at disbelief. She exhaled the sigh that seemed to have procured for a long time already, "You don't have to be kind to me, Ting, it's okay really." She said. 

The other girl looked bewildered, "Oh," Xiaoting shortly said, "Are you—Are you fond of Yubing?" She asked the other, "Are you interested in her?" Her bravery seemed to be at an all time high all of a sudden. Her chest thumping wildly as she prepared herself for a heartache, "I mean, she's interesting and all even at firs—" 

"What? No!" Yujin cut her off before emitting a giggle, the atmosphere starting to lighten as Xiaoting released her own sigh of relief. 

"Besides, she already has Yaning, right? They're soulmates." Yujin added, causing Xiaoting to chuckle, "I saw their wrists when they waved at me, All About You was written for the both of them." 

The Chinese showed a smile, nodding, "Their story is really a bizarre one; they don't believe they are soulmates." She explained briefly, causing Yujin to tilt her head slightly with furrowed eyebrows, as if asking for more details. 

"Sury and I were the original friends, and she's friends with Yaning, I'm with Yubing because both of us are from Modern Dance. They do talk to each other through our group chats and we hang out together, though most of the time there are no songs playing whenever we all hangout since we always occupy the campus field." Xiaoting started explaining, "However, one day, all four of us decided to laze in Yaning's dorm and watch the drama where that was the OST. And when Yaning stood up to go to the washroom, Sury and I noticed that their wrists already had the name of the song written on it." She finished. 

Yujin still has her head tilted, though she led Xiaoting and her to take some steps in order for them not to block the walkway, something that caused Xiaoting's racing heart to go wild when the other was slowly closing her distance. 

"Why do they not believe they're soulmates if that's the case then?" 

"They argued that they should have gotten their marks when they met, or at least earlier than when they had received it." Xiaoting casually answered with a shrug. 

The older chuckled, turning her body in order to start walking once more as she threw her now empty cup away, Xiaoting following her steps as she adjusted Yujin's sling bag on her shoulder, "And how about you?" She asked. 

Xiaoting's brows furrowed in confusion, though she did not want to stop their pace, "What do you mean what about me?" She asked for clarification. 

"You finally have met your soulmate, haven't you?" Yujin asked, a hint of bravery in her voice, the slight shaking didn't go past Xiaoting as well. 

Instead of stopping on her tracks, Xiaoting picked up her pace in order to stand in front of Yujin, her expression saying that she's heavily confused and worried, "What are you saying?" She asked. 

Yujin was forced to look up, afraid that her eyes would reveal her loneliness though she knows she couldn't really do anything if ever the other does manage to pick up her internal turmoil, "I—I mean, Yurina..." her voice stuttered before softly fading, pursing her lips together as she slowly looked down. 

Xiaoting has finally managed to connect the pieces together before letting a lighthearted laughter out, covering her face with both of her hands, Yujin was already on the verge of tears but was taken aback by the laughter Xiaoting had sounded. 

"Ya! I'm being serious here?" She said, tilting her head up once more as she smacked Xiaoting's arm, "Why are you laughing?" 

The taller spoke not another word, instead she opened her arms to wrap the older in her embrace. Yujin was stunned, standing there basked in visibly clueless yet welcomed the connection, her arms naturally snaking around Xiaoting's waist. Xiaoting pressed her forehead down against Yujin's shoulders, "Oh my God why are you so lovely." She murmured to herself, though it was of enough volume that Yujin could hear it. 

The pout Yujin had on her lips did not go away, still her chin was rested on top of Xiaoting's shoulders, "Are you mocking me right now, Ting, I'm hurt, you know?" She playfully whined. 

Xiaoting straightened her torso, wanting to look at the older's face, though she maintained the embrace, "Is that why you were suddenly down?" She asked, tone suddenly chirped up as she followed the realization of the scenario. 

Yujin was still in the dark, still all pouty though she exhaled, "Yeah, I'm thinking you're just being kind to me right now." She admitted. 

"I'm not Yurina's soulmate." Xiaoting assured, the confused Yujin now extremely baffled at the situation. 

"Huh? But the both of you share the same song." She pointed out, she did know what Xiaoting's song is and she should have taken note of what Yurina's is earlier, though the difference in departments with only the occasional meeting a week before examinations are the only connection Yujin has with Yurina. 

Xiaoting showed a grin, "Yes, we do, but that's because it's a common song being played in a coffee shop near here." She shared, "She shares hers with someone from my class. They decided to meet up in the café to work on a general subject's project and they saw their tattoos show up." She further added, "Besides, I did tell you I did a dumb thing, right? It's exactly that— I didn't notice when I have gotten or who it was I share this song with, all my lead is that it's from that café since it's a song from their playlist." She finished. 

The taller looked at the girl in her embrace, Yujin's eyes are filled with sincerity yet also show hints of anxiety. Xiaoting rubbed a portion of her upper back, her other arm still holding her close, "I might not find out who my soulmate is but I do not care for any of that anymore, if I would, I won't be blatant in showing you signs. I won't hurt you nor will I allow anyone to hurt you." 

Yujin swallowed an imaginary lump in , releasing a shaky sigh as she felt her heart finally be at ease, she pressed her forehead against Xiaoting's chest, "So, they were indeed signs, huh?" She spoke with enough volume for the other to hear. 

"Yes, they are signs, what would you think they are?" 

"I didn't want to assume." Yujin continued murmuring, her arms tightening her embrace around Xiaoting. 

Xiaoting did the same, placing her cheek against the side of Yujin's head, "I understand where you're coming from." She gently cooed, "How about you? What would happen once you have found your soulmate?" She asked this time, her heart pounding against her ribs and she's certain that Yujin could feel it but she didn't mind—Yujin needed to feel it, Xiaoting needed Yujin to. 

"I do not care for any of that anymore as well," Yujin answered, firm on her tone, certain about her own emotions. Xiaoting exhaled a breath she didn't even know she was holding, heavily relieved to hear it from the other. 

The taller girl reluctantly moved, placing a kiss on Yujin's temple, before she broke the hug off. Instead, she took the older's hand and laced it with hers—allowing their fingers to weave through each other as she maintained eye contact with her. 

"Then we're okay, alright?" Xiaoting assured with a gentle smile, "We're okay, Yujin, I'll make you happy after all." She said with a light giggle as she referenced the song written on her wrist, gently pulling the older to retake their steps once more. 

Yujin couldn't help but sound a whine out, "I know you're teasing, Ting, but really you don't have to remind me of my dumbness." She said with a pout, this time one that is more on the lighter feeling. The atmosphere the both of them share finally started feeling lighter as well. 

"I already told you my moment of dumbness, when will you share yours?" Xiaoting probed. 

"Long story short, I was wearing headphones." Yujin answered, the Chinese let out a loud laughter in response. 

The older's pout then evolved into a frown, "Hey, why are you laughing!" She pointed out and smacked Xiaoting's arm once more. 

"Usually people who have yet to receive their mark won't risk themselves doing that!" Xiaoting pointed out, to which Yujin playfully rolled her eyes to. 

"You don't have to rub it in further! I know!" She said, jumping up and down slightly to emphasize, "I was studying and wanted to listen to a song because it got stuck in my head and just won't come out unless I listened to it. The café I was in was playing music and I was thinking it was only for a song anyway." Yujin even explained. 

Xiaoting was still laughing, finding the whole scenario hilarious, "You should at least remember the date of when you got the tattoo." 

Yujin's frown is very much prominent on her face, "I do remember." She told her, "It was when we first talked so I'd remember either way." She answered meekly, her cheeks have been red ever since they have finally cleared up their minor mishap. 

Xiaoting stopped on her pace once more, pulling on Yujin's hand to lead the other to face her, "That was the day you got your mark?" She asked once more. 

The other just stared at her with a baffled expression, a brow lifted as she nodded in response, "Yeah? What about it?" 

"That's when I got mine too, Yujin." Xiaoting said, eyes wide at the realization. 

It didn't take the other too long to realize where Xiaoting's train of thought was heading to, Yujin's eyes were also starting to enlarge as the thought was slowly sinking in. 

"You were studying in the same café where we met, yes?" Xiaoting asked once more and this time, Yujin's nod was a lot more enthusiastic. 

"Yeah, I went back because I thought I left my composition textbook because that was what I was studying— Oh my God, Xiaoting." Yujin couldn't hold herself back, having to cover with her freehand as the realization was sinking in. 

The taller girl let a baffled laugh out, followed by another, before engaging into a full fit of disbelief as she tightly hugged Yujin once more. The other immediately returned the favor by hugging her back just as tight, "Oh my God, Xiaoting!!" Yujin repeated as tears welled up in her eyes, meanwhile Xiao already had a drop or two rolling down her cheek out of relief. 

All anxiety from the both of them felt like it melted in an instant. 

"Oh my God, I can't believe destiny does work." Xiaoting said in between sniffs while the older was still suppressing her own tears, "I was so worried about a lot of things I cannot even start explaining it but I am so, so relieved I found you." She said. 

Yujin released a shaky breath, finally giving in to the silent yet constant stream of tears moving down her face, "I was worried and anxious as well but you calmed me down and would always assure me with the words that seemed to sound like you just know I need to hear." 

"It was so, so easy. It felt like meeting you was simply a 'Oh, there you are' moment for me. Oh God I still can't believe this." Xiaoting's words escaped from her lips easily, "I'm just so thankful I found you, and that it's you." 

The two of them shared the embrace in silence, enjoying each other's warmth and company, finally feeling like a lot of their questions had been answered. 

"Alright, let's get you home." Xiaoting finally broke the silence that lasted for what seemed to be an eternity, though she did not let go of the embrace just yet. 

Yujin, on the other hand, has her forehead pressed once more against Xiaoting's chest.

 "I'm home." She softly said. 

"I'm home as well." Xiaoting replied. 

As the both of them finally broke their embrace at the same time, causing the two of them to share a giggle, finally understanding why it has always felt like they have known each other for so long already. The high-paced beating of their hearts, the shy glances, the warmth of it all. 

"Shall we enjoy this adventure of ours then?" 

Destiny does work.