white

Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Actually, Joohyun lied. Even after Mrs Hwang consulted her, she still couldn't dismiss the guilt in her and visit Seulgi. Her best attempt was waiting outside the ward and listening to Seulgi laughing with her visitors.

 

Joohyun looks down at the most recent text Seulgi sent her. I miss you, Joohyun sighs as she stares at the text, already picturing Seulgi's voice saying these heartbreaking words. I miss you too, she murmurs to herself, but still stands up as she slowly walks out from the ward's parameter.

 

Seulgi catches a glimpse outside the ward, sitting up immediately when she seems to see Joohyun's back figure. But the sudden movement made her hiss when her wound is disturbed again.

 

"Where are you going?" Her friend quickly presses her back to the bed, pressing the bell as she calls for the doctor. "Can someone come and help?"

 

Seulgi can only watch as Joohyun disappears around the corner, grunts as she punches the bed.

 

 

It is finally Seungwan and Sooyoung's wedding day. Joohyun almost woke up late after losing sleep for the past few nights, showing up just in time for herself to get dressed and makeup by the makeup artist.

 

While the other bridesmaids are out there welcoming the guests who start to arrive slowly, Joohyun is given the task to accompany the brides while they get ready.

 

Even though Joohyun couldn't get to see the venue while she was rushing, Seungwan briefly described the venue and also showed her different sections in case she needed to go anywhere herself.

 

And oh, the newlyweds even got her a new white cane after they heard about the incident about Seulgi.

 

While Seungwan heads out there to welcome the guests, there leaves Sooyoung and Joohyun in the waiting room.

 

Honestly, Joohyun had never stayed in the same space with Sooyoung alone. But with the task to accompany her, Joohyun sits by her as she is still considering how to start off the conversation. With the chilly breeze in the waiting room, every silent second feels extremely long.

 

Flowers, would Sooyoung love flowers? How about her mood now that it is her wedding? Did someone else ask her the same thing before her? Maybe pets? Married life? Joohyun purses her lips as she runs through other topics in her head. But the moment she speaks up, it is none of those above.

 

"Do you believe in soulmates?"

 

"Soulmates?" Sooyoung blinks at the topic as she hums in thought. The duration of thought almost giving Joohyun a negative response like that from Seulgi. "I guess I don't."

 

Joohyun is not utterly surprised, but is curious about her thoughts now that she is a bride about to marry her loved one. "Do you not consider Seungwan as your soulmate?"

 

"Would you believe me if I say I hated her when we were in school?" Sooyoung didn't answer the question and instead asks Joohyun in return. It successfully attracted Joohyun's attention.

 

"I may have heard something about what happened in school." Joohyun recalls about what Seungwan told her about Sooyoung's popularity in school and the boys outside the club room. "That you are popular and so on."

 

"She told you that?" Sooyoung chuckles softly as she takes a breath. "I know she hated the boys and how I seemed to take them everywhere, but she was as dislikeable. She always wore black round glasses and tied her hair into a ponytail, she was a total nerd, just the kind of person I would never imagine being with at all."

 

"Then what happened after?" Joohyun gets more intrigued as she listens to Sooyoung.

 

"I have met boys who were tall, handsome, and sweet. I dated a few, and Wannie is the total opposite. She is way shorter and sarcastic! So when I saw her again, I don't know, she just seemed different from how I remembered her to be. Somehow I became curious." Sooyoung falls into thought as she smiles. "Turns out she just doesn't like to show her sweet side."

 

"We are sooo different, I don't think I can emphasize that more." Sooyoung chuckles. "I am always the more easygoing type and never plans my trips if I want to go somewhere, but she has to start planning at least a month ago and list down an itinerary of where to go and what to eat. She nags me all the time for these things, oh god. And I think to myself..."

 

"That you would never want to marry her?" Joohyun finishes her sentence curiously.

 

"No. In fact, even with we fight all the time, I never had the thought to break up with her. And I was the one who proposed to her."

 

Joohyun gasps softly, surprised when she thought the roles are switched. "You did?"

 

"Hm mmh. I don't know, but if you ask me what soulmates are, I would definitely say something like being a great match, someone who knows me well and we never have to fight," Sooyoung smiles. "Wannie doesn't seem to fit all that, yet we are getting married. I guess I just follow my heart rather than anyone that is my destined soulmate. Even if someone like that exists and it is not Wannie, I don't think I would have followed that path, you know?"

 

"I see..." Joohyun nods slowly.

 

"But who knows? Maybe soulmates do exist for some people. To me, someone whom my heart chooses would be my soulmate." Sooyoung chuckles. "Someone who never gives up on you even when you are hopeless, someone who trusts and waits for you, wouldn't that be the conditions for a soulmate?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter