vermillion

Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How is her injury?"

 

When the doctor comes out from the ward, Joohyun jumps from the bench as she holds onto her broken cane. Her neat ponytail has already gone messy, with strands sticking out here and there, very unfitting to her usual image, but doesn't look out of space when the florist is in a vulnerable state.

 

Her clothes are stained with bits of blood, but it doesn't belong to her. The doctor watches the lady, calmly stating his diagnosis.

 

"Two broken ribs, others are bruises and some scratches. She will be fine." The doctor looks at Joohyun. "These are common injuries for someone who fights often."

 

Joohyun looks up when she heard the last few words, and what Seulgi told her about this is what she had done for nine years. Then the conversation she had with Mrs Kang, it all makes sense now that she has confirmed Seulgi joined the gang. But this is not just any gang fight, the man clearly said they were here because Seulgi was trying to play hero for her...

 

So she was still the one who caused it all. She was the one that made Seulgi and Minsoo wounded like this.

 

"Thank you..." Joohyun lowers her head, bowing to the doctor as she murmurs. There is this weight in her heart that reminds her how this all happened, the woman who pointed at her nose when Seulgi defended her. It only made her feel worse, maybe she should have stopped Seulgi from doing that, maybe if the woman was not that angry, she wouldn't have found a group of gangsters to beat her up.

 

It was all her fault.

 

"Joohyun?" She heard Mrs Kang's voice, turning around as she sees two shadows heading towards her. "What happened?!"

 

"She- She got beaten up because of me," Joohyun lowers her head in guilt and breaks into tears again. "I am so sorry..."

 

"Because of you?" Mrs Kang frowns instinctively, but couldn't spend too much time to listen to the full story as she is more worried about her daughter. "I will check on her alright? Just stay here with Mrs Hwang."

 

As Mrs Kang heads into the ward, Mrs Hwang slowly pulls Joohyun to sit down on the bench as she holds her closely, allowing Joohyun to cry in her arms.

 

 

"Mom-" Seulgi sits up on her bed as she watches Mrs Kang entering the ward, hissing slightly when she accidentally pulls on her wound.

 

"Don't move." Mrs Kang sits down by the bed as she holds her hand. "What did the doctor say?"

 

"Just broken ribs and some bruises," Seulgi looks at Mrs Kang and over her shoulder towards the door. "Only you came?"

 

"Joohyun and Mrs Hwang is outside," Mrs Kang frowns slightly. "Why, you want to see her?"

 

"I am worried about her," Seulgi admits. "She seems to be in a pretty bad state."

 

"Worry about yourself first," Mrs Kang shakes her head and sighs. "She must be feeling bad to see you like this."

 

"They picked a fight first," Seulgi leans against the bed. "But, did the police arrest them?"

 

"They did, all five of them," Mrs Kang answers. "The police will be doing further investigation about this, they think this is regarding to the private matters between the gangs."

 

"Someone hired them," Seulgi explains. "Joohyun met this woman before, her cane accidentally hit her son when they were blocking the paving and she went hard on her."

 

"So you defended her?"

 

"Mom, anyone would have done this. If you are the one, I would have done the exact same thing."

 

Mrs Kang sighs again and pats her hand. "You did great, but I really hope this is the last time. I believe Joohyun doesn't feel great watching you get beat up. It's not like she could have helped you like any other people, this must be extremely hard on her."

 

"That's why I wanted to see if she is okay," Seulgi frowns and pouts. "Could you bring her in for me?"

 

"Alright then."

 

Mrs Kang slowly gets up and heads to the door, but there is no one else outside.

 

"I don't think she is here, maybe she had gone home?"

 

But for some reason, Seulgi doesn't think that's the case.

 

 

It has been a week since Seulgi last saw Joohyun. All this time that she is in the hospital, her visitors have been the same few people: her mom, Mr Baek, and Minsoo. Mr Baek is shocked to hear about the news at first, then soon promised Seulgi that he would settle things with Red Men so that they don't cause trouble anymore. A few police officers came to ask

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter