violet

Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun sits on the side as she listens to Seulgi and Mrs Kang's conversations and all the stories behind. It is the first time she has ever gained VIP access to Seulgi's stories, knowing her deeper and into the sides that Seulgi has yet to tell her. She is not sitting there to judge, but perhaps with her bias against Seulgi, even her flaws sound cute to her.

 

"I joined papa's gang," Seulgi lowers her head as if she is a teenager confessing her sins, her voice soft as if she has been waiting for the scoldings from Mrs Kang. "I am sorry, mom."

 

"I know," Mrs Kang holds Seulgi's hands as she senses Seulgi looking up at her, smiling softly. "I know you did."

 

"How did- How did you know?" Seulgi's eyes widen, unexpected to hear that from her own mother. "Did you see me?"

 

"I didn't see you, but I figured that out when you let him send me money. That's exactly what your dad did." Him as in Mr Baek, since he sends Mrs Kang money to ensure Seulgi's time spent here is not just nine years wasted.

 

"Aren't you angry with me?" Seulgi frowns, recalling the fights they used to have in the past before she joined the gang. She was immatured then, choosing to run when Mrs Kang's eyesight got worse, she wasn't prepared to face all the mocking she got from her friends, all she wanted was her mom to be 'normal' like in the past.

 

"I was angry at first," Mrs Kang admits. "I couldn't accept the fact that my daughter became like her father, throwing away the future she had with her and be a gangster. But then one day, I happened to overhear you beating up your friends, just because they all said that your mom is blind."

 

Seulgi falls quiet, still listening to her mom while Joohyun is sitting around.

 

"That's when I realized, ah, maybe my daughter just wanted to do that to protect me. Because of her useless mom who suddenly fell ill and couldn't see a thing, my daughter suffered a lot in places I couldn't see." Joohyun heard the changing tone and the sniffing, the Mrs Kang who always seems so bright and happy, is suddenly crying because of her daughter.

 

"You are not useless, I am the useless one," Seulgi also starts to tear up, clutching Mrs Kang's hands tighter. "I left you for so long to deal with this alone, because I was scared you wouldn't want me anymore now that I have become like papa."

 

"Silly girl, didn't you come back now?" Mrs Kang caresses her head and smiles. "I know you are a good girl, Seulgi ah. But I don't want you to continue this anymore."

 

"Actually, I have been staying with Joohyun unnie a lot," Seulgi turns around to look at Joohyun, who smiles at the mention of her. "When she was working on the proposal, I volunteered to help her."

 

"Then I guess I don't have to introduce you guys to each other," Mrs Kang chuckles. "Since you have met my daughter, Joohyun ah. I hope she hasn't caused you any trouble."

 

"She has been a great help," Joohyun smiles. "I only get to finish this early because of her."

 

"Mom-! I wouldn't cause trouble to Joohyun unnie," Seulgi chuckles as she looks at Joohyun. "Because I like her."

 

Joohyun's eyes widen, but she can't stop herself from blushing while Mrs Kang chuckles. "If you like her, then get a job and start a stable life with her."

 

"I will! I am just thinking what should I do now." Seulgi purses her lips, showing hesitation when it comes to the future. It is her first time coming to think of a topic like this, and she only realized she knew nothing about what she needs to do until she thinks about it.

 

 

Joohyun leaves the mother and daughter as they continue to share the reunion joy, while she decides to stay a bit longer to go home with Seulgi later.

 

While she heads to the garden and to their usual seat with ahjumma, Mrs Hwang is also there.

 

"The red bean buns last time were really delicious, Mrs Hwang," Joohyun grins. "The other ones that you recommended are also really good."

 

Mrs Hwang smiles softly as she gently holds Joohyun's hand, exhaling heavily.

 

"Is anything wrong, Mrs Hwang?" Joohyun gently places her cane aside, holding Mrs Hwang's hand. "Are you feeling alright?"

 

"You, remind me, daughter." Mrs Hwang sniffs softly, a tear rolling down her cheek. "She, died, when 18 years old."

 

"I- I am sorry, Mrs Hwang," Joohyun sighs as she squeezes Mrs Hwang's hands. Maybe seeing Mrs Kang and Seulgi reminds her of the sad events, and Joohyun only enhanced that sentiment for her. "I have no idea."

 

"It's okay, just, miss her." Mrs Hwang holds her hand tighter, as if she has seen her daughter in the shadows of Joohyun. "If, grow up, would be, like you."

 

"I am sure she would be a beautiful lady," Joohyun smiles as she feels her eyes tearing up. Is this how it feels to have a mother? Would she have felt this sort of love if her mother had not left her? "My mother also left me when I was young. But my dad said I took upon her looks."

 

"Pretty," Mrs Hwang smiles, gently cupping Joohyun's face. "Pretty." With a clearer look at her face, Mrs Hwang says affirmatively.

 

"But now, he also left me." Joohyun purses her lips, finding herself opening

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter