green

Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun and Seulgi hit it off better than they thought.

 

It is a new experience for them, for the two had been like toddlers in kindergarten meeting for the first day, talking about everything they could think of just to share with each other. Joohyun almost forgets the fact that the two had just become friends, because Joohyun has been sharing a lot of things that she might not even share with Seungwan, like her deepest thoughts about her impairment.

 

This nightmare came to her during her last semester in university. She was a promising graduate, living together with her father. Her mother had left her and her father since she was young, and ever since there was no other motherly figure in her life. Perhaps influenced by her father, Joohyun tends to be more competitive when she has settled her mind on something, and conceal her emotions when she faces difficulties, such as this one that brought her the massive blow.

 

In all Joohyun's planning for the future, suffering from an impairment that took away most of her ability to sense the world is not in it. At first, Joohyun refused to accept the brutal fact, denying the truth that she would be needing a white cane for the rest of her life. She knew and could picture how would this look to other people, being the silent implication of her disability, being the call to people that will attract sympathy, which is probably the aspect that she dislikes the most.

 

She told herself a lie that this was just the worst myopia any human being could have gotten, the worst kind that is close to blindness. But just with a bit more research to their differences, it is pronounced that the lie would not last forever. The drastic change doesn't stop here, when a car accident took away the strongest pillar in her life, her father.

 

That was the darkest part of her life, and honestly she couldn't remember much about how she managed to survive through those times. Perhaps the mix of lucky and unlucky events and the way she interprets every single one of them helped to distract her from grief and self-pity. Like how she was somehow lucky to have graduated with a degree, but didn't have the chance to use it for her job searching, which could have nailed a pretty good nine-to-five job for her to pay off her study loans. Or the fact that she didn't have to worry about getting a job either because her university junior had opened up a florist's and decided to hire her as the only employee besides herself.

 

The best part was probably meeting people like her in the community club, when everyone is just the same. Joohyun found most of her through the community, and through meeting friends like ahjumma, Yerim, and Mrs Hwang, Joohyun found some strength in herself. She had felt the optimism on these people, and through every meeting, every conversation done with the members, Joohyun collected pieces of herself in a new life. Now at the age of 29, she could say there is nothing much she wanted other than having friends and able to spend time with them.

 

Or, not until Seungwan had announced news of her wedding that reminded her of companions on a more intimate level. Soulmates.

 

"Do you believe in soulmates?" This topic triggers a new discussion between the two when Seulgi is in Joohyun's place, cooking dinner for both of them.

 

"Not really," Seulgi answers after a small hum, stirring the pasta in her pan as she turns to look at Joohyun sitting by the table. "It feels like a fairytale to me."

 

"Oh," Joohyun didn't expect the negative answer, but is open to knowing more about the meaning behind that. "Why not?"

 

"Well, I am not opposed to the idea but it just doesn't seem like a promising stance," Seulgi switches off the stove and carefully distributes the pasta into two even servings. "Like, how do you even know if you are soulmates with someone? Will there be a ring in the ear, or would something happen when you meet them? No one could have given a certain answer to that."

 

Joohyun can't help but nod, humming when she smells the pasta coming closer as Seulgi serves the two plates. "Didn't know I would agree to what you said even when I believe in soulmates."

 

"And I don't think soulmates are necessarily good in a way," Seulgi sits down across Joohyun and picks up her fork. "Imagine this, what if something could tell you if someone is your soulmate and some people just go around to date whoever they want just to see if they would meet their soulmate? And what if someone who doesn't necessarily believe in them, actually falls for someone who isn't their soulmate?"

 

Seulgi's words brought a new perspective to Joohyun's thoughts, though there are still some questions. "But I thought you would only fall for your soulmate, not other people."

 

"That means you haven't tried falling for someone yet. If someone is dating or engaged and they believe they have met their soulmate, why would you fall for them then?" Seulgi hisses while she carefully peels the prawns for Joohyun, stacking the shells aside. "Be careful, it is hot."

 

"Heh I will, thank you~" Joohyun hums as she twists some pasta, not having time to savour and compliment Seulgi's cooking skills when she is busy thinking about what she said. Plus, it is already a given that she is good with her pans and pots. "What you said really has a point, I can't seem to find a point to argue."

 

"Oops, I don't want to destruct your ideal for soulmates. I mean, it is still possible they do exist, but maybe it doesn't have to be romantic." Seulgi grins. "Look at us, we just met and it felt like we have known each other for age

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter