orange

Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the time she gets off from the bus that takes her to three blocks down where she lives, it is almost lunchtime.

 

Her white cane taps against the floor while she approaches the source of sounds, many of them are voices that she could recognize quickly.

 

"Good morning Miss Joohyun, you are just in time." One of the volunteers greets her at the entrance, making Joohyun smile.

 

"I woke up a bit late today. Is everyone here already?"

 

"Of course, they are always excited during weekends." The volunteer guides her into the parameter of the building as she continues to talk. "Ahjumma has been waiting for you."

 

"Where is ahjumma?" Joohyun's ears perk up at the mention of her best friend, allowing the volunteer to take her across the lobby until they exit the building again to arrive at a garden area. There are many tables scattered around and all of them are people like her, people who in some stage of their life has suffered from visual impairment. It is lonely most of the time, being the only unique one out of everyone else, but everyone is the same right here, no one is ever that unique.

 

Most importantly, they are treated like normal people. As if this is just a community for another group of people with something similar.

 

"You are late," Joohyun hears the familiar voice when she sits down on one of the tables. "I met some new friends."

 

"I overslept," Joohyun laughs softly, turning around when she mentions new friends, seeing a few shadows beside her. "Nice to meet you all, I am Joohyun."

 

"Hi! I am Yerim," The girl beside ahjumma speaks up. "I heard ahjumma said you are probably older than me."

 

"How old are you Yerim?" Joohyun hums. "I am 29."

 

"Oh! I am 22 this year." Yerim chuckles, her voice is bright and cute somehow reflects her personality. Joohyun can already sense that she will like their future interactions. "Can I call you unnie then?"

 

"Of course," Joohyun hums, not uncommon to have a few younger friends around her when she is well, older than most youngsters. "Did you just move here?"

 

"Yes!" Yerim seems to be very pleased to hear her asking. "My tenancy contract ended and I had been looking for a new place to live. Since my boyfriend also lives here, he suggested I could move here, but what really excites me is actually this community club. I have never really been around a community in my previous address."

 

"Is your boyfriend also a member here?" Joohyun hums, somehow catching a keyword in Yerim's words. If her boyfriend is also here, Joohyun might know him since she has also been here for a while.

 

"Oh he is not, he just lives here." Yerim chuckles. "We are quite different but he is really sweet, so he does a lot of research for me. He was the one who told me that there is a community club here and persuaded me to come here."

 

"That's so sweet," Joohyun comments, realizing they have been too focused in the conversation for a moment that they forgot the ahjumma and the other new friend. "And this other friend is...?"

 

"Mrs Hwang, she works in the bakery here." Ahjumma answers on Mrs Hwang's behalf, while Joohyun nods at her whom she believes is sitting next to Yerim and across ahjumma.

 

"Nice to meet you, Mrs Hwang."

 

Mrs Hwang didn't say a word, merely squeezing out a quiet hum as her reply. Joohyun is slightly surprised by how little she spoke, but didn't ask further as her attention is back to ahjumma again.

 

"I think the director might call you over later," The ahjumma gently pats Joohyun's hand as she talks to her. "He might share some news with you."

 

"What news?" Joohyun asks.

 

"The flower art proposal you mentioned, I told the director about it."

 

"You did?" Joohyun blinks, unexpected by the fact that the ahjumma still remembered about the proposal Joohyun did not dare to speak up. "But...why?"

 

"Weren't you very excited about it? And I thought it would be a great event for the community. But I don't know much about the details so that is up to you to tell the director." The ahjumma hums. "Though it seems like he is giving serious consideration about it."

 

"Really?" Joohyun feels hopeful as she listens to her words.

 

"Congratulations Joohyun unnie! Whatever it might be, I am sure it will turn out well." Yerim chuckles, while Mrs Hwang also murmurs a quiet congratulations to her.

 

 

When Seulgi enters the store again, she didn't expect to see a different person behind the counter. In fact, she didn't realize she is looking for Joohyun until she saw another face behind the counter.

 

"Welcome! How can I help you?" Seungwan looks up at the incoming customer, a bright grin hanging on her face.

 

Seulgi carefully observes the lady, noticing her eyes are focusing on her from the time she opens the door and steps into the store. It is different from the time she first came, and she could te

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter