red

Iridescence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I want to buy a bouquet of flowers."

 

In just a few seconds, Seulgi has barged into the closest florist's she saw on the street and ordered what she needs. The whole process took place so fast that even the florist has just turned halfway around from the back when she heard the first chime of the door.

 

"What kind?"

 

The florist asks after turning to face Seulgi, but Seulgi wasn't expecting to notice something about her eyes. The way her eyes are not focused even when she is staring straight, perfectly avoiding Seulgi's face. If she is not talking to Seulgi, she might have thought she is just staring into space. Her gaze extends over Seulgi, and when Seulgi turns around to trace the destination of her gaze, there's only the door she used to barge into the store and the welcome mat below it that she didn't notice earlier.

 

It makes no sense to not look at your customer when the store is this small, only packed with flowers, a counter and two human beings. Seulgi blinks, somehow understanding the situation quicker than she thought, yet the thought reminds her of someone else that sets her in silence.

 

"Miss?"

 

The florist calls Seulgi when she didn't receive her response, who snaps back to reality from her thoughts.. "Sorry, what did you say?"

 

"What kind of flowers do you need?"

 

"Uhm, anything will do."

 

Seulgi takes a deep breath as she adjusts herself, eyes glimpsing around the store shortly until the next question hits.

 

"May I ask who is it for? Like a lover, maybe?"

 

The florist asks, a small smile blooming on her face. She is pretty, but Seulgi wonders if she knows that.

 

"Not a lover, he is, uhm, my boss."

 

Though not the kind to lead a company, Seulgi thinks to herself. Leading a whole gang counts too, right?

 

"Is he getting a promotion?"

 

"No, he's not. He is in the hospital so-"

 

"Ah, to visit him and wish him recovery?"

 

"Exactly." Seulgi nods, eyes following the florist's movements while she murmurs.

 

"Oh, that's sunflowers then..."

 

The florist turns around confidently but pauses in her spot soon. Seulgi looks over to her back, and none of the flowers behind her is the one she is looking for. She turns around, eventually finding the bucket of sunflowers by the door.

 

"It is right here." Seulgi speaks up, watching as the lady nods as she walks out from the back, her hand touching the counter as she murmurs again.

 

"Right, I placed them by the door just now. Thank you." As she gets closer to Seulgi, she sees someone else in her. The person who was in her mind when she realized the florist is blind. How is she doing right now, how long has it been since she had last seen her? Those thoughts suddenly choke up her mind as she quickly grabs a few stalks of sunflowers and place them onto the counter.

 

"It's okay, I am in a rush," She fishes out her wallet, looking at the florist as she pauses in her track. "How much is this?"

 

"I will wrap it for you-" The lady turns to head her way back to the counter, but the more Seulgi looks at her it reminds her more of that person.

 

"It's fine, I just need a few flowers." Seulgi pulls out a fifty dollar bill from her wallet and places it on the counter. "Is fifty enough?"

 

"It's twenty if you just buy them," The florist touches the sunflower stalks as she counts them. "But you could get more-"

 

"Then keep the change,"

 

Before the lady could finish, Seulgi picks up the bill from the counter and places it in the florist's hand, taking the flowers as she turns her heels and leaves the store.

 

"Thank you for coming..."

 

Joohyun's voice hangs in the air, but the lady has left the store with the door chiming her departure. She grabs the bill in her hand, pinching the edges with both hands as she lifts it to her eye level, trying to glance at the colour of the bill as it reflects off from the sunlight shining into the store. How weird, she thinks to herself, for the first time seeing a customer who paid fifty for a twenty-dollar order. Not even the rich does that, or do they? Seungwan might be happy though, with the extra money they could either buy more flowers or pay for their meals.

 

 

"What took you so long?" When Seulgi arrives at the hospital, Minsoo looks at her with a brow cocked as he sits beside the bed. His leather jacket is spread on the back of the chair that he is sitting, a black singlet covering his tanned built while wearing ripped jeans and timberland boots. His hair is curled and trimmed on the sides, looking like a whole block of hair implanted right on the head with a wide forehead. When he grins, Seulgi could see the yellowish teeth right from the door because of his smoking habits.

 

"I got some flowers," Seulgi shows the sunflowers in hand, eyes turning to look at the man on the bed. Unlike Minsoo, Mr Baek is fair with a mustache, his hair is usually parted sideways but now some strands dangled in front of his forehead messily. His shirt is stained with blood, folded on the nightstand beside him while he is wrapped with a long bandage, mostly on the body where bits of redness could be seen.

 

"Where did you get those?" Mr Baek frowns slightly, doesn't seem too pleased with it. "How fancy."

 

But even so, Seulgi doesn't find the displeasement any uneasing. In fact, she walks to the nightstand and slips the stalks in. "Just a florist's I saw. Thought you might feel better seeing these."

 

"Girls all like flowers, don't they?" Minsoo has a crooked smile. "I have been seeing lots of flowers and fruits ever since I arrived."

 

"You tell me," Seulgi throws him an eyeroll when she and Minsoo bicker all the time. "It's technically our first time here in a hospital, I have only seen them on TVs."

 

"Yeah we always go to that old man," Minsoo grins widely. "But that old man has the worst candies. And they don't provide food for free."

 

"Are you trying to tell everyone in the ward here who we are?" Mr Baek snickers. "Tell them we are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter