Chapter 5 or making the most out of your time at Hogwarts.

The Hardship of Desire

 

« Oh, no. »

Hyejin turns toward Byulyi with a constipated face.

« I dropped my binoculars. I will be right back. »

Byulyi rolls her eyes at her friend’s clumsiness and urges her to get them back quickly so they don’t miss the beginning of the Quidditch game. The Hufflepuff Quidditch team is currently entering the field, acclaimed loudly by the audience as Lucas, the commentator, is himself a Hufflepuff and has a way of hyping up the crowd.

Hyejin walks down the stairs of the bleachers to look for her binoculars which have slipped through the wooden floor of the bleachers. It only takes her a few minutes to locate them and pick them up. As she walks back to the stairs, she bumps into someone who isn’t a stranger anymore.

« Hello, Hyejin. Everything alright? »

Hyejin is so surprised to find Yongsun here that she forgets how to talk.

« So. Who will you be supporting this time? »

Hyejin looks at the Ravenclaw scarf around her neck. It isn’t her personal choice to support Ravenclaw, she would rather not watch Quidditch at all, but Byulyi forced her to come with her to support Wheein. Yongsun raises an eyebrow.

« I can’t believe you have a Ravenclaw scarf but not a Gryffindor one. »

Yongsun pouts as she gets closer to Hyejin. It slowly turns into a smirk as she takes Hyejin’s binoculars from her.

« Anyway, even you don’t have a scarf, I know you were supporting me. That is why I won. »

Hyejin blushes at the smile Yongsun gives her, she tries to look away, but Yongsun starts to chuckle and Hyejin can’t help but to look at her. She gives Hyejin her binoculars back, taking the opportunity to let her fingers touch Hyejin’s hand.

« The match is gonna start very soon. Ravenclaw have entered the pitch. You should go back, little snake. »

Hyejin nods quietly, but she doesn’t make a move to get back up the stairs which seems to amuse Yongsun as she breaks into a dimple smile.

« Do… Do you want to watch the match with me? Me and my friends. »

« Oh… »

Hyejin doesn’t know herself where does this come from. It surprises her as much as Yongsun, but what surprises her more is that Yongsun agrees rather quickly to her request and extend her hand for Hyejin to take before leading her up the stairs.

It earns her a good amount of weird look as they make their way back to Byulyi and her group of friends. Byulyi doesn’t say anything but Hyejin knows her friend enough to know that she finds Yongsun’s presence surprising. It soon enough fades away as the blow of the referee is heard and the match starts.

Hyejin almost lets her binoculars slip away a second time, fortunately, Yongsun catches them for her. It feels weird to have Yongsun next to her, as if it shouldn’t be something happening because Yongsun is… Yongsun; the great Quidditch player and heartthrob of the school that Hyejin quietly admires from afar – just like a lot of students around the castle.

Fortunately, the Quidditch match in front of her is enough to distract her from her train of thoughts. Ravenclaw team is as strong as ever, and even if Hufflepuff have made some upgrades to their team, their strategy to face Ravenclaw quickly shows its flaws. Once Hufflepuff loses the Quaffle, they have little to no chance to get it back from Ravenclaw as their players fly in a well organized and disciplined way.

But the real strength in Ravenclaw team comes from their Seeker who is none other than Jung Wheein. She has the perfect physic, small, light, fast, and resilient. The chemistry of their team has been carefully crafted by their Captain Remy who has chosen to not change any of the players for this new year. Which seems to be a great choice as they are currently leading the score by 40 points.

Hyejin tries to spot Wheein among the players, finding her above the game circling the Pitch with the Hufflepuff Seeker. Hyejin hasn’t seen her before, and she can only presume that she is one of the new recruit of the Hufflepuff team. She clearly isn’t as comfortable on her broom as Wheein as she takes bigger turn and struggles to control her direction without looking at her hands.

« Our talented Ravenclaw are showing us that they aren’t here to play with another goal by Dana. If only I was a Quaffle maybe she would notice me. »

Hyejin gets distracted from the game by Yongsun’s loud cheers as Ravenclaw scores for the tenth time, given them an advantage of 50 points to Hufflepuff. Hyejin notices that Byulyi is now standing up while pointing at the sky. It is the Golden Snitch, and apparently not only Byulyi has seen it but Wheein and the Hufflepuff Seeker as well.

« Golden Snitch alert! Out two Seekers have seen it! Wow, wow, wow. I can already feel the goosebumps on my arms! I may be a Hufflepuff but we all know Speedy Jung is one that rarely loses the evil ball. »

Hyejin grabs her binoculars to see the action, but everything goes so fast that she only gets a blurred view of what is happening.

« What do you see? »

Hyejin jumps in surprise at the words whispered in her ear. No answer comes out of , she wordlessly gives her binoculars to Yongsun for her to see, which makes her smile. Hyejin forgets about the match for a moment as she observes Yongsun using her binoculars. Her brown are frown in concentration and forms an adorable pout as she keeps on biting her lower lip. Hyejin realizes for the first time that there is a scar on Yongsun’s cheek, not big enough for it to be noticeable at first glance but here anyway.

Never would have she believe herself to be one to stare at people, but she can’t help herself.

« Wheein and Riley are flying next to each other. Kudos for Riley for keeping up with Speedy Jung! Will she manage to surpass the genius of our generation on her first game? »

« Here. I think the most interesting part is yet to come, you should watch it. »

Hyejin takes her binoculars back and points them at the pitch. Yes, she is here for the Quidditch match, not for something else. She tries to find where is the action is going on, she catches Hufflepuff scoring through Ravenclaw’s hoops, but she can’t find Wheein or the other Seeker. Yongsun helps her spot the two Seekers.

Wheein is negotiating a difficult turn as the Golden Snitch has suddenly changed direction, while the Hufflepuff Seeker has to decrease her speed to make it without crashing on one of the bleacher towers. Maybe she is lucky, maybe she saw it coming, but a Bludger comes right their way at the same instant.

« Oh! Merlin’s Beard! That is a hard blow for our Speedy Jung! Our favorite Ravenclaw might be out of the game, I difficultly see anyone surviving such a blow, especially at this speed! Riley is now alone after the Golden Snitch! »

It misses the Hufflepuff Seeker but hits Wheein right in the ribs. The Ravenclaw Seeker loses control of her broom for a few seconds but it is enough for her to crash against one of the wooden towers and with her speed she goes all the way through, leaving a hole into the wood.

Byulyi gasps as she stands up worried for her friend and rival. Yongsun screams at the scene. Hyejin drops her binoculars. In the meanwhile, the Hufflepuff Seeker is alone to pursue the Golden Snitch. Yongsun keeps on calling Wheein’s name, completely panicked, and shaking.

« Wheein! Wheein! Can someone see her? »

« Another goal for Hufflepuff! It seems that the Ravenclaw team is struggling to keep their focus after what happened to their Seeker. Will Speedy Jung make it back into the game? And if she does, will she be able to catch the Golden Snitch? »

Yongsun looks at Hyejin with despair, she notices the binoculars on the ground and takes them. She leans over the railing, to see better, anxious that something really bad happened to Wheein. It seems she isn’t the only one as the entire crowd is holding its breath. Yongsun grows even more desperate as the second passes.

« Please, Wheein be okay. »

Maybe the Gods heard her. Maybe Wheein heard Yongsun’s words. Maybe Wheein just needed a second to find her way out. But what happens next is out of a book of legends and tales. There is an explosion in the tower, this time something is coming out, more like someone, at the speed of the light. It would be accurate to describe it as a blue lighting flying toward the Golden Snitch.

« I can’t believe my eyes and I bet you can’t either! Speedy Jung! This is Speedy Jung! SPEEDY JUNG! OH MERLIN! »

It reaches the other side of the pitch in less time than it should be humanly possible to do before grabbing the Golden Snitch.

« IT IS A WIN FOR RAVENCLAW! SHE DID IT! SHE DID IT! OUR GENIUS! I CAN’T BELIEVE IT, HAVE YOU SEEN THIS SPEED? HAVE YOU SEEN HER? »

No. That is the thing, Wheein has been so fast that people barely saw her as she flew from the tower to the Golden Snitch. Yet, here she is with the Golden Snitch between her index and thumb, showing it to the crowd proudly, a big smile on her face.

« Well done, Ravenclaw! »

Wheein feels herself losing her grasp on the Golden Snitch but also on her broom and then nothing. She is falling from her broom, as her body has passed out from the exhaustion of using so much strength to manage her thunderbolt speed fly toward victory. It is way more past her magical capacities and her body shut down before she could safely land on the ground.

Fortunately, Yongsun reacts before she can reach the ground and throws her magic at Wheein’s falling body making her land on the grass of the pitch delicately.

 


 

« Where did you learn this spell, Miss Kim? »

Yongsun has stopped counting the number of time she had the luck – or not – to stand in Mrs. Vera’s office. Her head of House, Mrs. Vera, has been in charge of Gryffindor for almost a decade, but thanks to Yongsun it feels like it has been way more – in a bad way. She has knows the girl since her very first year at Hogwarts, and has seen her grow up into this passionate and beautiful young lady. Unfortunately, Yongsun always has the chic to make her job more difficult than it already is.

« This kind of magic isn’t taught at Hogwarts. So, I am asking again. Where did you learn this spell? »

Yongsun looks everywhere but at her Head of House. She doesn’t know how to explain to the woman that she knows spells used by the Dark Lord without making it sounds terrible and she doesn’t want her to write to her parents about it either. Yet, the spell she used has nothing dark or evil in itself. It is a Levitation Charm that can make one levitate, unlike classical charms taught at Hogwarts which only make unanimated things levitate and wouldn’t have worked in making Wheein land safely on the ground.

« I read about it. »

« I am not asking how did you learn it. I am asking where did you learn it. »

« In a book. »

Mrs. Vera does something with her hand that looks more like Dark Magic than the spell Yongsun used back on the Quidditch Pitch but she keeps the thought to herself. She knows Mrs. Vera won’t let her go until she gives her the truth and as scary as it sounds, it is still better than having to confront the Headmaster about the matter.

So Yongsun sighs before giving Mrs. Vera the truth.

« Wheein taught me this spell. »

« How does Miss Jung know this spell? »

Yongsun shrugs with as much honesty as possible as she has no clue how her friend learned it. If she would have to take a guess, she would say at the library, since Wheein spends a rather large amount of time between the numerous row of books reading and taking notes. It is to the point that Yongsun has taken the habit of consulting Wheein rather than her teachers when there is a matter that she doesn’t understand.

Plus, Wheein enjoys telling Yongsun all about her small discoveries concerning the Wizarding world and the interesting spells she has found. Still, when Wheein taught Yongsun about this spell, she warned her to be careful when using it.

« Do you have any knowledge concerning the story behind this spell, Miss Kim? »

« Wheein told me about it. But… I don’t agree with the Ministry. »

Mrs. Vera almost rolls her eyes. That is the problem with Yongsun, most of the time, she has her own view on different matter and she isn’t scared to let the world know about it. Mrs. Vera thinks it is a great quality of hers, but she would love if Yongsun would not direct this energy toward her authority.

« The story behind the spell is one thing. I understand how terrible those times have been, my parents told me about it as well. But those times are gone, and this spell could be a revolution in the Wizarding world! Are we against progress as wizards? Are you against progress, Mrs. Vera? »

No, she isn’t against progress. And she would love to see Yongsun leading those battle for a better world once she has graduated from Hogwarts, not while she is under her authority.

« If we push for the use of this spell despite the fact that it has ben created by the Dark Lord, himself, I think it could be an act of strength instead of fear. We don’t want this to happen again, but pushing everything related to it under the rug isn’t the way to go. »

Mrs. Vera sighs. It is difficult to disagree with Yongsun, which also makes it difficult to punish her appropriately. She really can’t wait for her to graduate.

 


 

« Congratulations, Speedy Jung! »

« Ah! Enough with this name. »

Wheein isn’t even an ounce annoyed at the use of the silly nickname as she breaks into a happy smile at the thought of her victory over the Hufflepuff Quidditch team. She had to take a quick trip to the Infirmary after the match as she passed out from using too much of her magic and spent the entire afternoon sleeping. It wasn’t that bad but enough for the Nurse to force her to drink half a bottle of a nasty concoction specifically for wizards having consumed almost all of their magic.

Byulyi visited her in the morning for their usual post-Quidditch moment at the Three Broomsticks Inn, she helped Wheein escape the Infirmary without the Nurse noticing and then they used one of the secret passages to Hogsmeade as Wheein isn’t allowed to do magic until Monday.

« After the stunt you pulled on the field, this nickname is only even more fitting. Seriously, Wheein. How did you do that? It was like, like, like you were a blue lightning rather than a person. »

Wheein chuckles, embarrassed by Byulyi’s description. She understands that her friend is curious about it, and she is almost sure everyone else must be curious about it as well.

« I… I think it happened because I really wanted to win more than anything else. »

« That’s it? »

Wheein bites her lower lip for a moment as she tries to find the right words to explain what happened. It isn’t really a technique or anything, but more of luck in her opinion.

In her readings, she realized that magic could be amplified by emotions. Not to the point of changing once overall power, but enough to allow one to thrives in certain situations. She never found an accurate description of how this whole mechanism worked, but she guessed that imminent desperate situations would trigger this capacity.

Quidditch isn’t really a deadly sport, still her crash into the wooden tower, Lucas’ comments on the game, and her own overwhelming desire to win were enough once mixed together to trigger it. The power she felt was overwhelming. And when she pushed off the ground with nothing in mind but to catch the Golden Snitch, she couldn’t tell how much strength she put in it. Only once did she had the Golden Snitch between her fingers did she realize the amount of magic and energy she had just consumed. And she passed out.

« Yes. I was just desperate to win. I wouldn’t be able to explain it myself. »

« It was really incredible, Wheein. »

« Thank you. »

Wheein feels embarrassed by the way Byulyi is looking at her. It doesn’t happen often, but when her friend looks at her this way she feels herself growing shy.

« Hum… Ravenclaws are organizing a party tonight. You should come. But… Don’t drink yourself to death, please. We have classes tomorrow. »

« You know me. »

« This is why I am warning you. »

 


 

« Tonight! We! Party! »

Wheein chuckles at Eric who is hyping up the common room through a voice amplifier. He locks eyes with Wheein and she already knows what he will say next.

« Everyone! Make some noise for our incredible Seeker! Jung! Wheein! »

Wheein feels two pair of strong arms suddenly lifting her up in the air. It would have been scary if she hadn’t immediately recognize two of her teammates, Chris and James. They make her jump in the air and catches her before she can touch the ground – which is both scary and amusing.

Wheein gets to eventually be back on her two feet. She hears her name being called from everywhere as all the Ravenclaws have decided to personally congratulate her on catching the Golden Snitch. She likes the attention but feels a bit overwhelmed by the amount of people coming at her to give her a word.

« Wheeinie. »

The familiar voice makes her relax. She turns around to find Remy, the Quidditch team Captain, waiting to have a word with her. He couldn’t see her before since she has been asleep at the Infirmary and then at Hogsmeade – not that anyone need to know about it. Wheein run sin his arms for a long hug.

« I am glad to see that you are standing on both your legs. Your fall gave me a fright. »

Remy caresses her hair kindly and Wheein decides to stay a bit longer in between his arms.

« You played well. More than well. I am really proud of you and you should be proud of yourself as well. Our genius and talented Jung. »

Wheein finally lets go. Her smile is up her ears as she looks at Remy. He smiles back warmly.

« Now, go! Enjoy the party! »

Wheein is pulled by her friends into the crowd of dancing students. She swims in the familiar excitement of her friends and fellow Ravenclaws. It feels like a second home to be at Hogwarts and even more when she is surrounded by happy people she knows she can depend on. It gets even better when Byulyi and Hyejin join the party as well. Byulyi immediately goes for the drinks, but Hyejin congratulates Wheein who jumps in her arms as soon as she spots the quiet Slytherin.

Wheein doesn’t let go of Hyejin, happy to see her new friend, and to share this moment with her. Wheein would have spent the entire night with Hyejin if she hadn’t spot Yongsun coming her way through the crowd of dancing students.

« Wheeinie! »

It is maybe years of having known Yongsun, but she can tell the girl is drunk just from her tone. She tenses up in the hug Yongsun gives her as she is scared her friend will throw up on her. Hyejin looks at the scene awkwardly from the side, not knowing what to do. Every time Yongsun enters the room, Wheein’s attitude changes and it rubs Hyejin the wrong way.

« Let’s get you somewhere calmer. »

Wheein walks Yongsun toward one of the armchairs and gets her a glass of water. She doesn’t have the chance to ask Yongsun if she had something to tell her as the girl passes out on the armchair once she is done drinking her glass of water. Wheein sighs and puts a cover on her friend. She looks at her for a moment, Yongsun has never been good at drinking, getting drunk faster than most and ending up passing out by the end of the party. Yet, it has never stopped her from drinking more.

Wheein puts a kiss on top of Yongsun’s head before going back to the party.