Chapter 5- Battle on the Rooftops

Project IZ*ONE II

When the timer reached zero, the two teams immediately began moving into their positions, and it was easy for everyone watching to see why these were the best trainees on campus. It wasn't just about being good at using their abilities, but also the ability to communicate and move in step with each other as a team.

On the west side of the rooftops, Yena and Yujin could be seen quickly making their way across the buildings, not even slowing down at areas where they needed to jump across.

"Okay, hold here." Yena says as the two approach the highlighted line marked in the air in front of them that represented the halfway point of the arena.

"So, we just need to get their flag across here? Seems easy enough." Yujin replies confidently.

"Uh, you may want to take a closer look." Yena says, pulling the younger girl to the edge of the building revealing a very wide gap, double the distance of the ones they were jumping across casually earlier. Down below, they could see holographic people milling around and driving in their cars to add to the realism, and from the looks of it, they were probably a very real twenty-five stories high.

"Oh...that's a far drop..."

"Yeah, we're going to need a better way across." Yena concurs.

Just when they were going to consider actually jumping, the two hear a noise and duck for cover. It was Hyewon and Minjoo. Yena and Yujin quietly observe as Hyewon shoots rays of ice across the gap, building a bridge.

"Bingo..." Yena whispers. She and Yujin wait for their opponents to make their way across before making their move.

"You sure you know how to walk on that properly? Minjoo seemed to have a tough time." Yujin warns.

Instead, the duck kept bragging to the puppy that she was a pro in walking on ice, but after slipping two more times, Yujin couldn't hold her laughter anymore and teased the older girl.

"Yah, you always do end up eating your words!" She says between laughs.

"I'd like to see you do better!" Yena argues back. Yujin smirks, takes a deep breath and steps onto the ice bridge, walking on it perfectly.

"Wait, what? How?" Yena asks. Yujin turns around with a smile before responding.

"Ice is water, Yena-unnie. I could even run if I wanted."

"That's unfair!" Yena says as she stands up, only to slip again, causing a crack in the ice, much to Yujin's dismay.

"Yah, stop fooling around! Let's get out of here!" She yells as the cracks begin to spread. The younger girl takes Yena's hand and pulls her along as the bridge begins to shatter behind them, barely making it across in time.

"Great...now how are we getting the flag across?" Yujin asks exasperatedly.

"We'll burn that bridge when we get to it." Yena says with a joking tone and continues moving forward. Yujin could only sigh and follow.

~~~~

After making it across a couple more buildings, the two girls slow down as the wind blowing around them began to pick up.

"Jeez, I know we're on the top of buildings, but this is getting a bit too realistic!" Yujin complains looking up at the sky towards where the trainers were watching.

"Uh, Yujin, I don't think that's them..." Yena says as a figure begins to float up in front of them.

"C'mon, young one, haven't you learned from the last time?" Gaeun chides before whipping a mini-tornado towards them. Yena just manages to dodge it, but Yujin was thrown back, landing right next to the building's edge.

Yena charges up her hands and fires bolts of electricity towards the older girl, but Gaeun nimbly dodges the attacks. It really looked like she was dancing through the air. She then launches a counter by harnessing the wind and trapping Yena in a straitjacket, throwing her around.

"Yah, Yujin do something!" The duck yells as she was starting to get nauseous. Yujin shakes her head, trying to regain her bearings. Eventually, she manages to focus hard until she felt liquid flowing through the pipes below her. The younger girl then lets out a yell as she causes the pipes to burst and flow up towards Gaeun, scoring a direct hit that causes her to lose focus and drop Yena.

"You're welcome, unnie." Yujin says with a smirk. The two now find themselves squaring up again against Gaeun who had managed to shake off the attack.

"You girls certainly have improved." Gaeun compliments. "It's obvious why Seunggi chose you to represent the campus, but I'm not just going to roll over." She then sends out an even bigger cyclone towards the two. Yujin, thinking quickly, controls the water like a shield to protect her and Yena. As the wind collides with the water, a pool of mist fills the rooftop. Yujin gets pushed back, but ultimately held her ground until the attack dissipated. With vision getting blurry, Gaeun launches herself back up into the air, but couldn't get a lock on her opponents' positions.

Using this opportunity, Yena gives Yujin a knowing look and they launch their counterattack. The younger girl swirls multiple balls of water in her hands and throws them up. Gaeun, looking unimpressed just, glides past the attacks.

"Is that the best you have?" She taunts. "Reveal yourselves!" At this, Gaeun blows wind down to the rooftop to clear the mist only to reveal Yena right in the middle, looking at her with a smirk.

"No, this is." Yena responds as she points around Gaeun showing all the balls of water still floating around her. The duck then launches a bolt of electricity which chains around the water spheres until it bounced towards Gaeun, who couldn't predict its movement and gets hit directly. The older girl begins to fall from the sky, but Yujin manages to send a wave of water to catch her and lay her on the ground, or well, rooftop.

"Nice try, unnie. We got you beat this time." Yena says politely after making sure Gaeun was okay. The two then continue to make their way towards Yuri, Wonyoung, and the flag.

~~~~

"Is it just me or have we been travelling for ages?" Hyewon asks suddenly to Minjoo.

"Come to think of it, unnie, it does feel like we've passed that same chimney a couple times already." The younger girl responds as she points to the architecture of the building they were on. It took them five rooftops to get to the halfway point, and every building was different. Right now, it felt like they'd gone past seven or eight of them which was odd. They could definitely see a flag far off in the distance, but it never seemed to get closer.

"Something's not right..." Hyewon then approaches the edge of the roof they were on, but bumps into an invisible wall. It was then that a realization crossed her mind.

"Yah, Heo Yunjin! I know this is you!" The older girl shouts to open air. When no response comes, Hyewon focuses her energy and launches ice all around her, breaking the illusion box they were trapped in, and revealing a tall brunette-haired girl sitting casually on the edge of the building in front of them.

"I could never get something by you, Hyewon-unnie." Yunjin says with a laugh. Hyewon blasts another ray of ice towards her but it ended up being just another mirage.

"Minjoo, turn invisible and sneak towards the flag, I'll catch up." Hyewon whispers to her partner. Minjoo nods and disappears. "Show yourself, Yunjin!" The older girl yells.

"You're gonna have to catch me..." A voice whispers from behind, and Hyewon is knocked down on the ground. Cheap shot... She thinks to herself. As she was recovering, she just manages to catch Yunjin running into the stairwell of the building they were on and follows.

When Hyewon arrives on the floor below, she's presented with three sets of doors. Yunjin sure knew how to create illusions because they all looked exactly the same. After a couple moments of indecision, Hyewon simply blasts ice at all three. The fake doors crack and disappear while the real door opens up.

"Give it up and fight, Yunjin!" She yells as she gets inside the room. It looked like a regular apartment, furnished with a kitchen, living room, and bedroom, but no sign of Yunjin.

Just when she was about to turn around and head back up, Hyewon is once again knocked down to the ground by surprise. When she turns, Hyewon sees Chaewon, and a bunch of clones of Chaewon surrounding her.

"Sorry, unnie. Nothing personal!" She says with a smirk as the clones all rush in for another attack.

Hyewon gets up in a fighting stance, prepared to defend, but when she tries to block one of the Chaewons, her hands simply go through her. Wait, I'm pretty sure Chaewon already mastered how to keep her clones solid. She thinks. Her train of thought was interrupted though as mixed in with all the fake attacks, one punch was real, and caught the older girl off guard.

Hyewon wipes a bit of blood off her lips and closes her eyes to focus. This time, she notices that the fakes weren't making any noise, and the second she felt movement behind her, she turns and kicks her attacker square in the stomach, launching her back. The illusions now fade away and Yunjin is on the ground gasping for air.

"Nice try, Yunjinnie. You almost got me this time." The older girl teases as she freezes a chain from the wall to Yunjin's wrist.

"Yah, you better finish the game quick because this is freezing!" Yunjin complains.

"Don't worry, I made sure it'd melt on its own in a few minutes, just enough time for me to get away." And with that, Hyewon heads back up to the roof to catch up with Minjoo.

~~~~

"Okay, Minjoo...you've done this before. Just sneak by for the flag..." Minjoo says to herself while hiding behind a wall. She knows that stealth was her thing, but that didn't stop her from feeling nervous. She was supposed to be invisible, but still hid as if she wasn't.

As she peers across to the other building, she sees Eunbi and Chaewon standing guard next to the flag. Minjoo let out a sigh of relief because at least that meant she wouldn't be fighting Yena and Yujin's elemental powers. Still, that didn't mean she could let her guard down. Eunbi and Chaewon were still excellent in combat. Minjoo takes a deep breath and makes her move.

~~~~

"I still don't have a good feeling about that new principal, Eunbi-unnie." Chaewon says aloud while staring up at the observation room.

"Yah, they might hear you, Chaewon. We can talk about this later." Eunbi chides. Though she agreed with the younger girl, she also didn't want them to get into trouble.

"Do you think he moved Seunggi-sunbae out on purpose? He must be here for something." Chaewon continues, ignoring the older girl's warning.

"Please, just focus on the mission, Chaewon." Eunbi replies.

"You don't have to be so serious-wait, stop...I heard something." Chaewon says suddenly cutting herself off. There was nothing in front of them, but she could've sworn she felt movement.

"Maybe it was just the wind." Eunbi hypothesizes. Chaewon just shakes her head with a smirk and gives the older girl a look that says 'Trust me'.

"So anyway...when do you think Hii-chan and the others are coming back?" She asks Eunbi.

"Oh, uhm, wasn't it Minjoo and the others who said that they were still planning it out? They could be back tomorrow or next week and I wouldn't be surprised." Eunbi responds, trying to play along with the younger girl's charade.

"Aww, I can't wait for them to come back though. I've missed Hii-chan sooo much. I can't wait to go and pinch her adorable cheeks again!" Chaewon says, and as she expected, she hears an audible scoff from behind.

"Yah, don't be like that, what if Minjoo heard you." Eunbi teases, now understanding what the younger girl was going for. Minjoo on the other hand was trying her best to ignore what was being said. She had finally managed to sneak around them, but was frozen at Chaewon's sudden tangent. Is this what she's like when I'm not around? She asks herself. The downside of being able to turn invisible was possibly overhearing things you weren't supposed to.

"Don't worry about it~" Chaewon says in a sing-song tone. "She won't mind...right Min?" At this, she turns around looking at what appeared to be nothing, and splits into clones and tackles an invisible figure to the ground. Minjoo then reappears in total shock, sniffling.

"Sorry, Minjoo. No hard feelings, you know I was kidding, right?" Chaewon says as she checks on the younger girl , morphing all her clones back to herself.

"I-I'm f-fine, unnie." She responds quietly. Just the look on Minjoo's face though was enough for Chaewon to realize she may have gone a bit too far.

"Wait...Min, I'm really sorry-" The older girl tries to apologize more, but karma struck her back really fast as she gets ambushed by a ray of ice.

"Yeahp...I deserve this." Chaewon says, now trapped in an ice cube. Eunbi turns around quickly to come face to face with her girlfriend.

"Tsk, tsk, Chaewon. You have a lot of apologizing to do later." Hyewon nags. "For now, I think the flag will be enough compensation."

"No way you're taking that without getting past me!" Eunbi shouts back, getting into a fighting stance. Hyewon smiles at this, and the two charge at one another.

~~~~

"There it is, Yuj. The flag." Yena says to her partner as they peer over a ledge.

"So, what's the plan captain quack? I personally think we can just overpower them with our elemental powers." Yujin responds. Yena was about to agree with the puppy's suggestions but held back.

"You sure we can't just ask them politely?" She asks half-jokingly.

"Yah, unnie. I know she's your girlfriend, but we still have to win this."

"I mean, you like Wonyoung too, right? Wouldn't we be doing them a favor?" Yena counters, causing the puppy's cheeks to redden.

"C'mon, don't be like that-oh my god!" Yujin yells as she and Yena are now levitating above the building's edge.

"See? I told you they'd be too noisy to sneak up on us!" Yuri says, giving Yena a disapproving look.

"Yeah, and what's this about doing us a favor? We don't need your help to win this for our team." Wonyoung adds.

"Okay, okay, we're sorry!" Yena yells. "Please put us down!"

"Don't tempt me." Wonyoung teases as she lets the two go for just a second before levitating them again.

"Yah, Wonnie! Not funny!" Yujin shouts. Wonyoung though found it hilarious as she waved her hands like a conductor. Yena was definitely not enjoying being tossed around like a rag doll for the second time today.

"Don't you want to win this, Yena?" Yuri asks the older girl. "I know you hate to lose..." At this, Yena remembered everything she'd talked to Chaewon about the other night. Do what you want. Don't hold back. Yuri would be happy if you're happy. That's when everything clicked for her.

"As a matter of fact...I do." Yena feels the electricity coursing through her body and lets it all out, blinding Wonyoung just long enough for her to lose focus and drop the two, causing them to go into a free-fall towards the ground below. Yujin, thinking quickly again, forces water out of the building pipes and carries her and Yena back up to the roof. That's the Yena I know. Yuri thinks.

"We aren't gonna go easy on you two anymore!" Yena says confidently. "Yujin, handle Wonyoung, I'm going for the flag!"

~~~~

"You hear that, Wonnie? I'm your dance partner!" Yujin teases before launching a torrent of water towards her. Wonyoung stands her ground though and uses her telekinesis to deflect it out of the way.

"You're gonna have to try harder than that!" She taunts back. In response, Yujin runs up, opting for close combat, knowing that Wonyoung's abilities worked better at medium range. The two were now exchanging blows, dodging and blocking each other's attacks.

~~~~

"You finally wake up?" Yuri asks the older girl.

"Yeah, thanks for slapping some sense back into me." Yena responds with a grin.

"That doesn't mean I'm gonna let you just take the flag though."

"I wasn't counting on it." Yena says as she launches electricity at the hamster who deftly dodges the attacks and runs up to her. Yuri had really been working on her hand-to-hand combat recently to compensate for her lack of physical powers, and it showed. Yena was barely dodging the younger girl's swings and kicks. The duck had an ace up her sleeve to counter though. While she was avoiding and blocking Yuri's attacks, Yena was charging herself up, and when Yuri finally made a misstep, she struck with an electric kick, sending the younger girl back into a wall. Luckily, Yena had secretly made sure to weaken the attack just a tiny bit to make sure Yuri wouldn't be badly injured.

"Sorry, Yul! I'll check on you later!" The older girl says as she grabs the flag. "Yah, Yujin-ah, let's get out of here!" The aforementioned girl nods and leads Wonyoung over to a puddle which she controls to make the younger girl slip.

"Hey! Not fair!" Wonyoung shouts. Yujin only looks back with a cheeky grin as she and Yena make a run for it. They didn't make it far though as a voice yelled at them from behind.

"STOP!" And with that, the two freeze in place. Yuri had shaken off the attack and finally used her ability. Yena turns, gritting her teeth and trying to resist the command.

"You're going to return that flag here right this instant!" Yuri commands.

"I-I'm sorry...unnie." Yujin says as she unwillingly takes a step forward towards their opponents.

"No...No...No..." Yena fights the urges as hard as she could, remembering something Yuri had told her back on one of their missions. Her charm speak could be resisted if you had more conviction than her in what she was trying to command, and in that moment, Yena knew she wanted nothing more to win. The older girl lets out a defiant yell and blasts lightning from the sky onto the building they were on, creating a flash big enough to momentarily blind Yuri and Wonyoung and give her and Yujin a chance to run.

~~~~

"Almost there, Minjoo! Just keep running!" Hyewon shouts. The two could just see the goal line in the distance. It was a tough one-on-one matchup against Eunbi, but Hyewon's ice proved to be the difference maker, allowing her to take their opponents' flag.

On the other end, Yena could be seen yelling the same thing to Yujin. Both teams were making a mad dash for the goal, but Yena's team had one last complication to deal with. They were just a rooftop away when the wind picked up and pulled them back. Gaeun had woken up and managed to catch the two in a tornado just in time.

"Yujin-ah! I'll hold her off, just get the flag to the other side!" Yena orders as she stops resisting and lets the wind carry her straight to Gaeun just in time for a thunder-punch.

Yujin doesn't even look back and uses whatever water was left in the buildings to launch herself forward over the large gap. The extra boost proved critical as she landed back on her team's side before Hyewon could build another ice bridge. The younger girl smirks and gives a bow.

"Nice moves, Yujin. Truly a performer till the end." Hyewon says with a smile, acknowledging defeat. Minjoo, despite glumly putting down the flag, nods in agreement.

"That sure was a heck of a jump!" She ends up saying.

Meanwhile on the other side, Yena helps Gaeun up and dusts her off. This may have been a competition, but the trainees on campus were taught a lot about sportsmanship. At the end of the day, everyone on campus was their ally.

"Hope I didn't hit you too hard, unnie." Yena says.

"Just because I'm older, doesn't mean my bones are made of glass." Gaeun jokes back, causing the two to share a laugh.

"Yena-unnie!" A familiar voice shouts to get the duck's attention. Yena turns and sees Yuri running towards her with a smile.

"Hey, Yul! Sorry if we were too-" Before Yena could finish her sentence, the younger girl engulfs her in a hug followed by a kiss on the lips, much to the surprise of everyone watching. "Yuri...they're all watching us..."

"Oh...right." The hamster takes a step back, cheeks reddening. "Congrats! I'm happy for you!" She then says.

"You're not upset?" Yena asks curiously.

"Of course not!" Yuri responds, giving the older girl a playful punch on the shoulder. "This is what I love to see, you being yourself, being happy with the things you like doing. You finally got it!"

~~~~

"Yah, Hyewon-unnie, you didn't have to make things too cold!" Chaewon says to the older girl, still shivering after being broken out of her ice cube by Eunbi.

"Yeah, I really thought I was going to get frostbite for a second!" Yunjin concurs, still shaking her cold wrist. Hyewon looks over and laughs.

"Sorry, girls, I'll get you some hot chocolate. My treat!" She finally says.

"Score!" Chaewon cheers as she begins to look for a certain brunette. "Hey, where's Minjoo? I wanted to apologize again..."

"Oh, I think you're going to have to sort that out later. What you did was pretty mean." Hyewon chides again. Chaewon could only smack herself in response. They won, but was it worth it? Meanwhile, Minjoo was just hiding by Hyewon invisibly, still in her thoughts, until the trainers called everyone's attention.

"Congratulations to team blue for the spectacular performance!" Trainer Bae Yoon-jeong says from the observation room above, trying to settle down the chaos. "Please all gather in the middle for the report."

~~~~

"That was quite the display." Principal Ahn says curtly. "I see now why Mr. Lee thought so highly of you all." At this the trainers along with all the spectators offer a round of applause for the teams.

"You are all dismissed." The principal then turns and walks out of the room, much to the confusion of the trainees down below.

"That was it?" Yujin asks. "I figured he'd have something else to say."

"If you were waiting for him to acknowledge your water jump, you're not getting it." Wonyoung jokes.

"No, I'm serious. Something's not right." She insists.

"For now, I think we should just take his congratulations and go." Eunbi interjects. "There's still the matter of trying to get info on those rogue mutants. Best to stay on his good side for now." The others nod in agreement, and file out of the training room for lunch.

~~~~

Somewhere at a hidden hallway on campus...

"The data is ready to be collected...execute the plan." A voice orders.

"It will be done, sir." The voice of a woman responds.