On the tail

Love beyond war

Date: 10/11/1935

Dear diary

After the sudden attack from the Japanese army last month, everyone had been ordered to be kept on their toes and have their ears open for another attack. It had made a lot of soldiers fatigue as they haven't really been available to rest unless it was their time to take a break which mostly lasted for only 20 minutes. Currently, it was my team's turn to rest for a bit, so we were sitting in our bunker just relaxing.

Yuqi: Way to spend your birthday Jahoon. Having your birthday in the middle of a war against the Japanese and having to stand guards all day under the hot sun with the thick uniform.

Jahoon: That is how it is and it is not like I haven’t had my birthday like this before. It is just like any other birthday.

I leaned back against the headrest with a sigh. Another year went by with the stupid war of not having any signs of ending. Suddenly the door burst open to reveal Heejin, who was heavily breathing as like she had just run a marathon.

Heejin: Jahoon! I think we are in trouble! The general of the army is calling our team to his office.

Yoon: Do you think he knows anything about you and Chaehyun?

All of the girls stared at me worriedly. I didn't know how to react. I was really hoping that it had nothing to do with Chaehyun or else I would be bringing her in danger and also never getting another chance to see her. Even worse, I would be sent back to the US which would minimize the chance even more.

Jahoon: I hope not or else there would have been consequences. I'm not worried about myself but I'm more worried about you guys and especially Chaehyun.

Hyunjin: We should go and see what she wants then. Better not to keep her waiting.

We all agreed on that and began walking together to the office. I knocked on the door and looked behind me to see their nervous faces. We heard a faint “come in”. I took a deep breath and opened the door. We all entered and stood in front of the general of the army (GOTA) desk.

GOTA: First of all I want to praise you guys for a great job of pushing back the Japanese army last month but I have some questions for you guys, especially you Jahoon. Where were you when the Japanese attacked?

Jahoon: I was on the field madam. I was taking the right side of the city with lieutenant Jeon as the Japanese began marching in from the right side.

GOTA:  You sure about that? Because when I was over there when I found out about the news, I couldn’t even seem to find you there on the field?

Jahoon: It was a lot, hectic madam. The Japanese came more well-planned than I had expected. I was mostly hiding and surprise attack them.

GOTA: Then why did lieutenant Jeon say that you were over at the left side and helping them?

I could feel the stares of the others on me but I kept my cool and kept looking at the GOTA.

Jahoon: That is because they needed help over there, so I was running back and forth to try and help as much as possible. It is my duty as the colonel after all.

GOTA: Is that so?

The GOTA took a glance at us all without saying anything. It was one of the most nerve-wracking moments that I have ever experienced in my life. It was like she already knew about what happened but gave us another chance to explain ourselves. I glanced towards the others, who looked like they tried to keep their cool. The GOTA hummed.

GOTA: Alright then. I believe in you. You guys are dismissed now.

We saluted and walked out of the room. First, when we were a few meters away, we all sighed in relief.

Seungyoon: That was a close call. I was so close to breaking down in there!

Yoon: But why do I have a feeling that she had caught on you Jahoon but she didn’t say anything because she doesn’t have any concrete proof.

Jahoon: I have the same feeling too. It seemed like she gave us, me, a chance to confess everything and get a lighter sentence.

Yuqi: Why does it have to be such a horrible act for a soldier like us to fall in love with a person from this country? They make it sound like it is a life-sin and that you will go to hell for it?

Hyunjin: Right? Love can’t be controlled and you can’t control who you love…. wait… is that Chaehyun?

I looked in the direction of which Hyunjin pointed at and saw Chaehyun lurking from behind a bush. When she noticed me looking at her, she smiled and waved at me.

Jahoon: Please cover for us somehow if anyone finds out.

The other nodded. I looked around and made sure that anyone wasn’t looking in our direction and quickly walked over to Chaehyun. I grabbed her arm and dragged her behind one of the buildings in a more secluded area, where there weren’t a lot of people.

Jahoon: What are you doing here? It is dangerous to just enter a military base like this. What if someone happened to see you?

Chaehyun: I know but I was so worried that something had happened to you. It has been a whole month since you last came to visit me.

Jahoon: Chaehyun… I’m sorry that I really haven’t visited ever since then. A lot of things happened and it seemed like my boss are catching on about us. I don’t want anything to happen to you. I can’t bear the thought of you going to jail because of me.

Chaehyun: Don’t worry. Nothing will happen to me. To us. I have a place where we just can be the two of us without anyone bothering us. Let’s meet there every week if you want to have anything to do with me?

Chaehyun stared into my eyes. Her eyes lit up as the galaxy was in there. I sighed and gave her a soft smile.

Jahoon: There won’t be any time that I don’t want anything to do with you. I love you too much to ever let you go.

I cupped her face and pressed a kiss on her lips. I pulled a bit away but kept our forehead connected. I stared into her eyes as I felt sorry for her. Jahoon: I’m sorry that you will have to experience a love like this. You could have experienced something better.

Chaehyun: I wouldn’t want to experience that if it means it is without you.

GOTA: Colonel Park!

Jahoon: Hurry up and go back to your mother! I will try my best to keep them away so that you can escape.

Chaehyun: Take care of yourself Jahoon. I love you.

Jahoon: I love you too. Be safe.

I kissed Chaehyun on the lips for one last time and ushered her away from the camp. Before she left she slipped a piece of paper into my hand, which I placed in my pocket. I walk out from behind the building and towards the GOTA, who just happened to be a few meters away from there.

GOTA: There you are. I got some extra tasks for you to do but I couldn’t find you at your bunker. What were you doing over there?

Jahoon: I was just taking my turn patrolling the area as my duty and I just wanted to be through with it because we don’t know if the Japanese soldiers are going to be hiding and waiting for the right opportunity to strike.

GOTA: That is why I like you, colonel Park. With that effort, I’m sure that you are going much higher in rank.

The GOTA patted me on my back and lead me into the camp to talk about some missions against the Japanese soldiers but all that was on my mind was Chaehyun.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Date: 17/11/1935

Dear diary

Today was the day that Chaehyun and I had planned to meet each other at her secret place. I was tripping the whole day and couldn’t wait to see Chaehyun again. I waited until it was nighttime and most of the camp was sleeping. I quietly got out of my bed to not disturb the others even though they already knew where I was going. I put on some normal clothes and sneaked out of the bunker. I bend down and slowly made my way past the security and the lights of the nightguards. First, when I was meters away and I was sure that no one would see me, I stood back up straight and made my way to Chaehyun who was already there waiting for me. She was waiting for me in the bunker right under her house. It was pretty hard to find and tucked away from the eye.

Chaehyun: Jahoon! You are here! I was worried that something had happened after what happened last time.

Jahoon: Don’t worry but I have to admit that I was scared that they had found out about you. You have to promise me that you will never go into the camps again. No matter what happens.

Chaehyun: I promise but you have to promise that you will always update me about what is happening to you no matter what happens and not disappear for a whole month again. Even if it has to be through another person. At least so I don’t have to worry much about you.

Jahoon: I promise.

I pulled her into a hug and buried my head into her neck as she did the same to me. After a few moments, I could hear Chaehyun cry. It made my heart clench. I pulled her closer to me and held her tightly as like I was worried that she would slip away from me if I ever let go of her.

Chaehyun: I thought that something very bad had happened to you. I thought that was the last time that I had seen you.

Jahoon: It is okay. Don’t cry. I have told you before you are not going to get rid of me that easily unless you want me to get the hell away from you.

Chaehyun chuckled lightly. I pulled a bit away from her so I could see her face clearly. I cupped her face with my hands and used my thumbs to wipe away. I placed a kiss on her forehead before kissing her on her lips.

Jahoon: Let us not think much more about this. Let us not worry anymore and just enjoy each other's presence.

Chaehyun nodded. We sat down at the sofa that was placed inside of the room and cuddled up against each other and just talked about everything that had happened in our life. Just enjoyed the time we had together.