Hero or Traitor

Love War: 3015

Time went by too fast, the last week we have deflected more attacks than we could count. We have beaten the chinese army my men were sent back to the city of Gangnam, The Presidential palace was in Seoul. 2.5 - 3 hours away from Busan. I have to accept now my inevitable act of defecting to my duties as a Korean Soldier and be hailed as a traitor to the flag of Korea, something Hyunri will have to go through with me. The only comforting thing here is I am not alone, I will be with Hyunri.

We received command from the President of Korea to be in Gangnam, thousands of troops have gathered here for an announcement she will make at around 6 p.m. tongiht. Everyone was festive and happy, because in the last 3 years we have been fighting the third world war, this was the first time Hyunri will address us. Probably to give the soldiers a boost of morale and confidence because we have beaten most of the invading army.

I don't know exactly what would happen to the men I am leaving behind. I packed my clothes at the barracks where Sky and I stay. She watched me as I prepared for my escape. She speaks to me eventually as it was only 30 minutes before the live broadcast of the President of the Republic of Korea.

"Won't you stay to hear what Her excellency had to say?" She asked me.

"I don't have to Unnie Sky. I know Hyunri will be with me to Jeju Island, I need to leave early, because we are travelling a long distance. I don't want to be late." I said to Sky.

"Okay, I'll cover for you." She said to me.

She was already dressed in her Gala Outfit, our Gala outfit was a suit and tie, Sky looked especially dashing tonight as she faced me. She was wearing her medals pinned to her chest, her honors and other medals. She wore so many. She was a decorated soldier like I am. Her pants was ironed to a crisp, her suit flaunted her figure, it hugged her body perfectly. A knock on our barracks was heard. We looked at each other questioningly. I didn't have any expected visitors today, I made sure to see everyone I needed to see. Sky was the one who opened the door. There stood the love of her life, safe and unscathed from war. Jinri, Jinri smiled at her. They hugged for what seemed like a long time before Sky ushered her in.

Jinri was dressed in her Gala Uniform, we wore a grey suit and she wore a navy blue suit with her honors and medals pinned to her chest, her suit was paired with a pencil cut skirt in Navy Blue. She looked so lovely in her ensemble, she wore a navy cap with a Navy logo on it and laurels decorating the visor of her cap. Similar to the hat we wore but ours had a military ground team logo. She took off her cap, her hair was tied up in a neat bun, like Sky's. She smiled at me and gave me a quick hug. I hugged her back, careful not to wrinkle her uniform.

"I am back, General Choi." She said teasingly at me.

"Welcome back to land. Miss Navy officer. Do you need a wheel chair to accompany you tonight?" I said jokingly at her.

"I don't need a wheel chair, General. But thank you for the offer." She said jokingly at me.

"You're not yet dressed Miss General?" She said as she looked at her watch.

"I'm off to Busan tonight, Hyunri and I are eloping." I said smiling at her.

"Well, you don't want to be late for that huh?" She said to me.

"Yes, I wouldn't want to." I said smiling at her.

"I understand, Julian. You've fought enough for the war." She said.

"Thank you, Unnie Jinri. You and Unnie Sky have been supportive of my decisions." I said to her.

"Although we don't want you to defect from your duties, there isn't anything we could do to stop you and Unnie Hyunri from eloping. Hence we will support you and Unnie Hyunri." She said to me.

"Thank you, Unnie Jinri. I honestly don't know what I have done to deserve friends like you and Unnie Sky." I said to her rather tearfully.

Jinri is the same age as Sky, while Hyunri is the same age as them, I was the youngest out of us four. However Jinri and Sky refers to Hyunri as their Unnie because the level of respect they had for her surpasses their age. We often call someone 'Unnie' or Big sister depending on the level of respect you have for the person you speak of, whether they are the same age or not. It is customary for Koreans to respect their elders or someone who has achieved greater things than them. The guys refer to their big brothers as Hyung if you are a woman speaking of your big brother we call them Oppa.

"Give my regards to her excellency. Tell her we support you both." Unnie Jinri said.

"I will tell her unnie." I said smiling to her.

"But what if Unnie Hyunri wouldn't come? Have you thought about it?" Unnie Sky asked me.

"I trust her words Unnie Sky, if she won't arrive by 10 p.m. I will go to Jeju Island on my own, I will spend a day there and then I will kill myself for the shame I brought upon myself for abandoning my comrades in war, my duties as your General and for failing my korean ancestors, I will die on my own just as I have abandoned you on your own Unnie."

Unnie Sky and Unnie Jinri hugged me, they whispered their blessing for me. It was time to go for me so I broke away from their hugs, I handed them five envelopes addressed to each of them, one envelope each for Mama and Papa and one envelope addressed to Hyunri in case she doesn't go tonight.

"Open these envelopes tomorrow at 12 p.m. in the afternoon, Unnie Sky, please give the envelopes to mother and father the day after tomorrow. Give the last envelope to Hyunri, whenever you feel like giving it to her." I said as I got my bag of clothes and shoes.

Unnie Sky nodded at me. Unnie Jinri held my other hand tight, afraid of what might become of me.

"Julian, please don't die." Unnie Jinri said.

I only offered her a soft smile.

"I will live through this." I said as I pulled my hand and took a step towards the window, where I am escaping.

Things were so fast, that in a matter of a few seconds, I was out of the barracks and running to the back of the camp. I wore a green camouflage to hide me from prying eyes of the camp guards. I ran quickly out of sight and into the trees surrounding the camp. Undetected by the camp guards, within the lush thick forest, I have my motorcycle waiting. I will ride my motorcycle to Busan Port going to Jeju Island. The port is about 2 - 3 hours away south of the Gangnam Camp where we are at right now. Gangnam used to be a gleaming business center which was now turned to camps. It used to have towers and buildings but now the whole city was turned into camps, trees lined the streets leading to the camp. I walked a kilometre to my motorcycle. Each stride filled with fear of getting caught. In the distance, the live telecast of Hyunri, played. I heard her voice and the cheers of the thousands of men in there. Her voice barely audible as I make the distance to my motorcycle. I rode my bike and left Gangnam for Busan.

***At the Camp***
Sky's POV:

Jinri and I stood amongst the sea of men and women of the republic. I had to wipe Jinri's tears away as we would have to attend this special night as our commanding officers have put it. Although I am scared for dongsaeng Juls, I understand her. We were stunned to know of her plans but we needed to keep a straight face. As we waited for the telecast. Then we got a surprise, Hyunri was here. Jinri and I looked at each other we wanted to go after Julian, but decided we should stay put and let Hyunri know of the plans dongsaeng Juls has. Hyunri smiled as she revealed herself to us. She took the Microphone from the emcee and started to address us.

"Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen. I would love to announce tonight two key points of the 3 year long world war we found ourselves fighting for Korea and its people. But first I need to say thank you to each and everyone of you who has fought valiantly for the country. Korea is not here with out you. With out further aduie I would like to announce the official end of the war. We have signed a treaty with China as of 10 a.m. today. China has surrendered to Minister Gum-choi Lee at 10:30 a.m. today. Because of this surrender, I am pleased to announce that one, I your President will not marry Emperor Yamazawa for aides in the war. Two, the most important announcement I will ever make." President Park said as she paused and looked on to the crowd before her.

She takes a deep breathe and exhales before she continued to speak to us.

"I your president will never marry a man, because I have a secret I have been keeping since the start of my Presidency. I would like to come out to the people of Korea to whom I owe nothing but honesty. The past four years had been hard for me. Now, as we begin to rebuild our country and heal from the pain of loss this third world war has brought upon us, I want to join you and rebuild my life as your president. I have always been very vocal about my support for the LGBT Community, it was one of my causes running for Presidency. This was because I am not a straight woman as you all thought of me to be, I am a woman who loves a lesbian woman. Her name is General Julian Choi, we have been together for three years now, through the war and through other tough times, she was by my side. Serving as a Military General for the Ground Command Team of Korea. If anyone of you opposes this relationship, you may go ahead and do so, but I am pleading that you spare her of any harm, instead I am here in front of you all facing you and pouring my heart out to you. We have thought of abandoning you in the middle of the war, last week when I heard her plans of killing someone for love, it made me reevaluate my actions as her partner. I couldn't hide her anymore than I had all these years, as we start anew, please let me start being honest with myself." She said as she closes her speech.

There was silence in the ballroom, it was one of her bodyguards who started to scream and clap his hands feverishly, everyone of the people who are here today followed suit. They clapped their hands and hailed her. President Hyunri Park, the first out president of Korea. Hyunri was left on center stage, crying at the overwhelming support of her people. Everyone of us felt her pain she kept all these years. I am sure if Julian heard this, she would be pleased, no ecstatic of the news dongsaeng Julian would have rushed into the stage and hugged Hyunri the love of her life. But she left for Busan, waiting for Hyunri.