IN THE EYES of LEEJUNG

VIEW (In the Eyes) | JUNGZE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Leejung has never been uncertain of anything in her life.

Not when she discovered her love for dancing, not when she puts all her time and effort into studying just to get high grades so her parents back in South Korea would allow her to attend dance classes when she goes back home for the break, not when she practically begged her parents to let her stay and pursue dancing, not when she was so determined to prove to her parents that her decision to become a dancer and choreographer wasn’t wrong.

Not when she left her crew at the peak of their game to pursue her own solo career and proved all her doubters wrong, not when she signed a contract to be part of a growing dance academy established by a well-known entertainment company, not even when she agreed to be part of an ambitious survival show showcasing the talents of Korean female dancers — she was determined to do everything and give it all.

You see, Leejung was always certain — yes, WAS until Jihye decided to wreak havoc in her organized young life.

 

Noh Jihye, well known for her dancer name — No:ze. The pretty dancer that sparked so much interest from people that used to not pay attention to dancers or aren’t familiar with the people that beautify the stage other than the celebrities.

Despite being known as the pretty dancer, Leejung knows that Jihye is an excellent dancer and choreographer. A person who follows her own style, who spent hours mastering her craft, and attracts aspiring dancers to enroll in her classes in hopes of becoming like her.

Leejung has known Jihye for nearly 2 years after they attended the same hiphop master class conducted by one of their seniors. Even then, before the spotlight, Jihye already had a fair share of people that admired her either from afar or those brave and vocal ones. Back then, Leejung never really paid attention, her goal was to get better, to dance better, and be on a pedestal of her own.

It’s already very rare to have them both in the same room unless they were being called by a production crew of the artists that wanted their talent in a video, so as Leejung’s name slowly have become known in the dancing community, both she and Jihye were no longer able to share a dance studio together. When Leejung got the list of groups that agreed to join the program, a funny feeling that felt like someone was making summersaults in her stomach crept in upon seeing Jihye’s name.

The only reason she could think of was that she looked forward to meeting and seeing her again.

They pretty had a decent friendship term before she became busy.

That. Absolutely that.

 

But everything is harsh, all of it.

The prejudice that Jihye had gotten was blaring, to be honest. The video they played for her team to watch was striking some of Leejung’s nerves. She hated how it was edited — she should’ve known, it’s the snake after all, she hated how everything just revolved around her beauty, she hated how none of the persons in that video recognized or at least mentioned her greatness in dancing. It pissed her off, she hated it.

 

She doesn’t know how and when, she never really planned it but her body moved on its own, she slightly turned to face her members and said, “Noze unnie is pretty and very good at dancing too. That’s not fair.” It just came out of nowhere really, and most importantly, she didn’t expect it to make it to the cut for the first episode.

 

Their first meeting with the other crews was challenging, harsh, tiring but fun. Leejung finished that day winning all her battles and winning it all for the team. She was happy, don’t get her wrong because she absolutely hates losing, but seeing Jihye’s downcast look after not winning a single battle made her feel weird.

It just doesn’t sit right to her seeing the older that troubled and sad.

 

After the announcement of their next mission and the crews were all set to go home, Leejung could no longer take it and went straight to WAYB’s room to check on her with Yeojin.

 

“Unnie.” says Leejung.

“Jihye.” says Yeojin, in sync with Leejung’s.

Jihye looks up with a small smile. “Hey. Congratulations for today.” It was genuine.

Yeojin takes a sit right beside Jihye and Leejung has no idea why she suddenly feels shy so she takes the other couch to sit on. “You okay?” Yeojin continues.

“Of course. It’s just the start anyway. We have a long way to go. I didn’t win a single battle today but I’ll make sure I will be winning next.”

Yeojin cracks a grin. “That’s my baby Noze. Sorry if I had gone too far.”

Jihye laughs. “That was fun but also wasn’t because I lost but good battle unnie. It’s always fun dancing with you.”

 

Leejung wonders why she’s there when she can’t even talk. She used to be the confident one, the talkative in the group but somehow, at that moment, she’d prefer staying quiet and listen. Not only that, but she’s afraid her voice would come out shaky and she’d rather get buried six feet than embarrass herself.

But seems like Jihye didn’t want any of that to happen because her eyes travel straight to where Leejung is sitting and tilts her head.

 

“Leejung, why are you suddenly so quiet?”

“Huh? Me?” her voice cracked. my life.

Yeojin stares at her and laughs. “That’s what you get from being so quiet. Your voice cracked.”

Leejung clears , a red tinge slowly creeping up to her cheeks. “Thanks for making it obvious, unnie. I heard it too.” And playfully glares at the oldest in the room. Jihye’s still giggling though and maybe, a part of her doesn’t mind being this embarrassing so she’d hear that sound quite often.

 

 

Having only two years of an and being two of the youngest leaders, it became an instant for them to support each other. Leejung, who knows and has friendly relationships with all the other leaders became the diffuser of the tension during the Class Mission. Being the leaders and competitive by nature, clashes were bound to happen but Leejung comforted Jihye when others were constantly pressuring the timid leader.

Jihye said she’d win next time, she really did. They are going to dance to her choreography.

She encourages Jihye more than anyone in that circle, she tells her that she’s doing good, that she’s great, that she’s wonderful. Not really sure if it worked but Jihye survived every practice session with a smile on her face.

 

But things are just bound to happen no matter how much you try to avoid them.

Days spent being in one room and studio for practices made that funny feeling Leejung once ignored start to emerge once again. Leejung has her own share of relationships, she’s not unfamiliar with jitters but it’s the very first time she felt that towards another woman and it rattled the crap out of her. Maybe it’s just admiration — perhaps it really is, or so what she’s trying to convince herself.

There’s no better relief she had ever felt when their first mission finally came to an end. End of mission means away from Jihye and the confusion she’s bringing to her because it’s not good when whatever Jihye did whether it’s just tying her hair into a loose ponytail or adjusting her oversized shirt, Leejung would always catch herself staring. It’s not good when whatever Jihye said whether it’s about the change of choreography or position, Leejung would always catch herself agreeing.

It’s not good.

It’s no good.

 

“Jungie, are you okay?”

 

Yeojin asked her one time during practice when she was just blankly staring at her reflection with BoA’s mixed soundtrack booming inside one of X Academy dance studios. She had no idea she’d been doing that for almost an hour and if it weren’t because of some trainees who picked the wrong room and told Yeojin about it, she would’ve been still in that same position with her thoughts running a thousand miles per hour.

One of the so many characteristics Leejung has is when she’s trying to get rid of whatever stress and confusion she is having, she’d never stop dancing until she gets everything right, done, and clear her headspace. It’s her diversion. It’s her escape. It made her finish the choreography in record time with the help of her members, without a single memory of Jihye visiting her.

Sadly for her, when their eyes meet later that week for another shoot, she started cursing herself all over again. The jitters occurred again, the urge to be right beside her became even stronger than it was the last time they saw each other, and for ’s sake, the feelings just came back and Leejung knows she’s doomed, there will be in no hell way she could get rid of this.

 

Came elimination, her personal feelings weren’t a factor why she had chosen Jihye’s team to battle against Coca N’ Butter. It was purely out of their competitive nature to get rid of who they think would be a problem in a long run and they, YGX, could see WAYB being that problem. Later that day, WAYB was eliminated and was sent home.

Leejung followed the crowd heading straight to WAYB’s waiting room and it crushed her heart to see Jihye cry like that. Jihye cried so much and Leejung felt so guilty for putting her in that misery. But they are all battling for survival, if you’re not going to fit as fast as you could, then the place might not be for you to st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter