one

Award Show Blues

 

Friday nights. Ah, the best night of the week, Seulgi thought. When they weren’t promoting, she was rarely given schedules that would bleed to Friday nights. Of course she did have a few errands to run back at the company earlier, but once 5:00 PM struck, she said her goodbyes to the rest of the staff who were also preparing to go their own ways.

 

Seulgi had been physically and emotionally drained the whole week, given that they were busy preparing for comebacks that their youngest had leaked. It was a good move, in Seulgi’s opinion, that Yeri did so. Their company has a tendency to go back on their words when they feel the timing isn’t right. They did, after all, have the last say.

 

As she popped her door open, Seulgi went straight to the kitchen, where she found a packed Dosirak on the counter with a note saying “Might be out ‘til later tonight. Rest up. You deserve it, yeobo. Xoxo”

 

She kissed the note, leaving a faint imprint of her lipstick on the paper. She opened the container and saw a neatly packed dosirak, containing some steamed dumplings, braised chicken, rice with sesame seeds as garnish, a sunny side up egg that was supposed to be runny but the yolk was now fully cooked, kimchi, and some vegetables.

 

She placed the container in the microwave, and went to the bathroom clean herself a bit before eating. She sent a message to her lover, thanking her for the meal. It warmed Seulgi’s heart that, despite their busy schedule, they still had time to be a domestic couple. 

 

Although nowadays, they rarely see each other because their schedules rarely match. Seulgi had her idol duties to fulfill, training harder than she did back when she was a trainee, while she had a drama to film and a couple of magazine shoots to attend. Not to mention it was awards season for actors in Korea and she has been nominated for a few award categories.

 

A few minutes later, Seulgi made herself comfortable on the sofa, the microwave-heated container placed on a pillow on her lap. She had opened a few warm lamps, making the place perfect for a Friday night in. 

 

She opened the huge television, switching it to the channel broadcasting the award show her lover was attending today. Seulgi had no idea what outfit the other would wear to the event as she had been very secretive about it. 

 

Seulgi was also aware that a couple of her unnies were attending the same event. Both her Yoona and Seungyeon-unnies were nominated for awards tonight, with Seungyeon-unnie being nominated in the same category as her lover. She had sent her unnies good luck messages just as her lover was shown entering the red carpet, sporting a long-sleeved navy blue dress. The fabric of the dress resembled Seulgi’s previous red carpet outfit for the 29th Seoul Music Awards. 

 

Was this why she didn’t say anything about her dress? Seulgi blushed at the thought that her lover had intentionally chosen the dress to subtly tell the whole world that she was very much still in contact with her former labelmate. Even the shoes are the same color, Seulgi thought. But wow. Seulgi was left breathless when she finally saw her lover smiling at the camera, doing a few poses and finger-hearts for the cameras.

 

Her phone was beeping, messages from her members flooded their chat. Yeri put Seulgi on blast as she kept sending photos of Seulgi’s lover. 

 

Yerimmie:

Seulgi-unnie, why does Krystal-unnie look so good?

Are you sure she’s your girlfriend?

Wannie:

Yah! Yerimmie, don’t be too harsh.

But Krystal-ssi does look good, Seul.

Joohyunnie:

Please wish her good luck for us, Seul! 

Sooyoungie:

Is it just me or does Krystal-unnie’s dress look similar to Seul-unnie’s?

-Sooyoungie sent a photo-

Wannie:

I bet Seulgi suggested that hahahaha

 

Seulgi sent a video of her lounging while watching her lover enter the venue.

 

Seulgi:

-Seulgi sent a video-

For the record, I didn’t know what her dress would look like

She didn’t let me go with her to the dress fitting 

 

She placed her phone on the table beside her and proceeded to enjoy the show while feasting on the bento she had made for Seulgi. Other famous actors were starting to enter the red carpet area. Yoona-unnie’s beauty is really out of this world, Seulgi thought. The white gown her unnie wore added to her captivating beauty.

 

The event has finally gone on its way, with Seulgi getting pulled by the tiredness her body had been feeling. And after a few minutes in, she had dozed off on the black leather sofa, the food container placed safely on the coffee table in front of her. 

 

The loud buzzing of her phone pulled her out from dreamland. She sleepily reached for her phone and answered it. “Yah, unnie!” Yeri said, “Seungyeon-unnie won.” The tone of the younger’s voice was indistinguishable. On the one hand, Yeri was happy that one of her unnies won the prestigious award, but on the other hand, it meant her other unnie had lost. 

 

Seulgi hummed in reply. It took a few seconds for her to understand what the sentence had meant. She watched the screen in front of her where her Seungyeon-unnie was happily receiving the award. The camera had switched, showing her lover’s face, smiling and clapping at the winner. But Seulgi knew. 

 

“Yeri, I have to go.”

 

“Should we get you anything? The unnies have been spamming the group chat you know,” Yeri said, worried for her Seulgi-unnie.

 

“I think this calls for the “Cheer Up Meal,” Seulgi sighed. “Joohyunnie and Wannie know what it is.”

 

After dropping the call, Seulgi sent a short congratulatory message for Seungyeon-unnie, saying how much she worked hard to earn the award. She had also sent a message to Jeongyeon, sending her congratulations to their family.

 

Aigoo. This is going to be tough, Seulgi thought as she began to tidy up the place, turning off the television. She knew how much the award had meant to her Soojungie and how devastated she must feel right now. 

 

It was already past eleven, and Seulgi was sure that the event had finished by now. By this time, she should’ve received a message from Soojung, saying that she would either be going to the afterparty or coming home soon, but no message came. 

 

Her phone lit up, with a text message from Krystal’s older sister: ‘Seulgi-yah, please take care of Soojungie. I just heard the news.’

 

‘Always, unnie.’ Send.

 

Soojung’s manager had also sent a message that they were about fifteen minutes away from their shared apartment and that the girl had been silent since the end of the award show, skipping the afterparty altogether. 

 

Seulgi pocketed the phone and prepared the bathtub for her lover. She had mixed a lavender-scented soap in the hot water, which would be the right temperature when the younger woman arrived. The wine was in an ice-filled bucket, with two wine glasses sitting just beside it. The bathroom was filled with small rechargeable lamps that emitted a warm light in place of candles as Seulgi had a bad reputation with real candles, almost setting the place on fire during their anniversary celebration.

 

The ‘Cheer-Up Meal’ was also in the microwave heating away as it arrived about half an hour early. They had also sent a bouquet of sunflowers for the actress. Her members wished the two of them well, hoping that Krystal will be alright with what had transpired earlier.

 

Seulgi plated the “Cheer-Up Meal” in the charcuterie board she had received from Wendy last Christmas and placed it just beside the wine glasses. Glancing at the intimate set up, Seulgi turned off the overhead lights in the entire apartment, leaving the lamps on to guide their path. 

 

Soojung’s manager had sent a message stating that the actress was on her way up to the shared apartment. Seulgi immediately replied, thanking the manager for taking care of her girlfriend and wishing them a safe drive home.

 

Just then, her doorknob beeped and unlocked, revealing a tired Soojung, now sporting high-waisted jeans, a white sweater with a bear print under a thick black jacket, back slouched, and her make-up still fully on. Oh. It’s that bad, Seulgi thought to herself as she went to assist her girlfriend who was taking her shoes off.

 

Yeobo? Why are you still up,” Soojung asked in a weary voice. Seulgi reached for the jacket that the taller one had just removed and hung it inside the coat cabinet by the door. “I told you that I’d be late.”

 

“I wanted to wait for you, baby.” Seulgi smiled with open arms and gave the taller one a bear hug. And with this, the younger one buried her head in Seulgi’s neck, inhaling the scent of her yeobo. The tears that she tried hard to suppress were now slowly making their way out of her eyes, causing her to sob. 

 

“I know, love. I know.” Seulgi hugged the girl tighter, caressing the younger one’s back to console her. “You were great out there earlier. I watched you walk down the red carpet when I arrived from the office.”

 

The younger continued to sob on Seulgi’s back. “You really are breathtaking, you know that? I was speechless when I saw you.” Seulgi kissed the top of Soojung’s head, waiting for the younger to calm down. 

 

It took a couple of minutes for Soojung to calm down, still sniffing as she tried to wipe her tear-stained cheeks. Seulgi took Soojung’s hands and kissed them, carefully placing them on her waist as she placed her own hands on the younger’s cheek to wipe the mascara streaks away.

 

“Let’s get you cleaned up, love,” Seulgi said in a gentle voice, patting the younger one’s head. “Do you want a piggy-back ride?” Krystal nodded like a kid and Seulgi crouched down in front of her.

 

“Try not to choke me this time, okay,” Seulgi jokes, earning a soft hit on the shoulder from her lover.

 

She makes her way across the warmly lit apartment, and through the bathroom door. She sat Soojung down on the bathroom counter, while she reached for the make-up remover and some cotton pads. Being in a relationship for about four years meant that they had already memorized each other’s routine, including how to remove the other’s make-up.

 

Seulgi took a black headband with white polka dots, and placed it on her lover’s head, clearing the younger’s face from any stray strands of hair. Normally, Krystal would wash her face first before proceeding with the other products to clean her face but knowing it would be hard to ask the girl to do anything, Seulgi simply got some cotton pads and dipped it in warm water mixed with Soojung’s facial soap. 

 

The taller one let Seulgi clean the make-up off her face without protest. She was too exhausted to mention that she was trying a different face wash since she was currently endorsing a different brand. In full honesty, Soojung felt bad to have Seulgi clean up after her, knowing that her lover had been quite busy the past week.

 

“There we go,” Seulgi said, smiling at the pouting girl. “More beautiful when barefaced.”

 

Krystal rolled her eyes at the comment. “Ah, but you’re blushing,” Seulgi nonchalantly pointed out. Krystal tried to say something in protest but Seulgi cut her off with a peck on the lips, causing the taller one to blush profusely.

 

After a few minutes of following Krystal’s nightly skincare routine, Seulgi left to feel the water in the tub. They had spent a longer time than she expected, causing the water to run cold. The bear drained about half the tub before filling it again with hot water. “What a waste,” Seulgi said, shaking her head as she went back to her lover.

 

“Well, if you had stopped stealing kisses, we would’ve been in the tub ten minutes ago,” Krystal said as she was getting herself off the counter. 

 

“I guess I just lack self-control when I’m with you,” Seulgi shrugged, making her lover push her playfully. Seulgi simply hugged the taller one to stop her from doing anything else. 

 

Soojung noticed the food and wine by the bathtub, dimly lit by a rechargeable lamp that was about to die. “Are those-- chicken nuggets?”

 

“Uhuh.”

 

“From McDonalds?”

 

“Yup.”

 

“And you served it on the charcuterie board we were planning to use when our families come over?”

 

“Yes. Fancy, isn’t it?”

 

“And you plan to pair it with a bottle of wine?”

 

Seulgi pulled away from the hug. “Not just any wine. It’s a wine that the fans gave me yesterday to celebrate the end of the first season of my show!” Seulgi went and reached for the wine, trying her best to read the label. “Ah, but it’s in a different language so I can’t read it.”

 

Krystal grabbed the bottle and popped it open, pouring its contents into the two glasses. “Just say you can’t read it because you can’t see well without your glasses.”

 

Seulgi giggled, stealing another kiss, this time on her lover’s cheek, and proceeded to turn off the tap. “This should be perfect.”

 

Seulgi approached her girlfriend. “May I?” She gestured to Soojung’s clothes. 

 

“You still have to ask?” Krystal smiled, pulling Seulgi closer to her. 

 

“I would never force you to do anything you’re not comfortable with, love,” Seulgi replied. 

 

The two were smiling like kids sharing an inside joke, and their lips gravitated towards one another, closing the small distance between them, still smiling as they shared a kiss.

 

“I think,” Seulgi said, before leaving a peck on her girlfriend’s lips once more, “we should get in the tub before the water gets cold again.”

 

Seulgi then proceeded to strip her girlfriend, assisting her to the tub, before stripping her clothes off and joining Soojung in the tub. The bubbles were able to give the two some cover, not that they needed it anyway.

 

Seulgi sat behind Krystal, keeping the taller between her legs and carefully placing her arms around the younger’s waist. She left a few soft kisses on the exposed shoulder in front of her before reaching for the wine glasses and offering one to her wife.

 

“Feels nice?”

 

“I’m finally home,” Soojung said as she snuggled Seulgi, kissing the older one’s jaw. “Thanks, yeobo. You really are the best.”

 

Seulgi kissed the younger’s forehead. “I’m only the best because you made me the best.” 

 

The two clinked their glasses, sharing a toast for the end of a very tiring day, before drinking the wine. “Not bad,” Soojung commented. 

 

“What can I say, the fans are the best,” Seulgi shrugged, making the two of them chuckle. Seulgi took the glasses and placed them on the table, getting a McNugget from the fancy board.

 

“I know you hate eating fast food but when you’re sad, you can’t help but crave nuggets,” Seulgi said as she placed the nugget in front of her girlfriend’s lips, urging the younger to take a bite.

 

“But with wine?” Soojung took a bite, nonetheless.

 

“It doesn’t hurt to try,” Seulgi replied, eating what was left. “See, it’s not that bad.”

 

Soojung reached for the wine while Seulgi carefully poured the soapy water on the younger’s shoulders, occasionally giving them soft squeezes. 

 

“I’m sorry,” Krystal said out of the blue after downing her second glass of wine. 

 

“Hmm?”

 

“For not winning the award,” Krystal said in a soft voice, afraid that Seulgi might show any signs of disappointment. “And for making you do these things. It’s sweet and I appreciate it so much, but I know you’ve been working late with the comeback prep and---” Seulgi kissed her, stopping her from rambling.

 

“Hey, love, calm down.” Seulgi pulled her girlfriend, making the other lean on her. “I am so proud that you got nominated. That, in itself, is already an achievement.”

 

“But--”

 

“Baby, I have always been proud of you,” Seulgi replied, kissing her girlfriend shortly after. The two shared a passionate kiss as tears streamed on Krystal’s eyes once again. Seulgi tasted the salty tears, causing her to pull her girlfriend into a deeper kiss, one that would erase all the anxiousness in her lover’s heart, even just for tonight.

 

They only stopped when they needed to catch their breath. Seulgi wiped her girlfriend’s tears away once more. “You’ve worked real hard to establish your name as an actress. Even with the whole company fiasco.”

 

Krystal looked at her girlfriend’s eyes. “Everything you have right now, you rightfully deserve. You’re a budding young actress who is starting to gain traction with the roles your new company has been giving you. Not to mention your fanbase is getting bigger because of your amazing talent.”

 

Seulgi gave her girlfriend a soft smile. “Not being able to take the trophy home shouldn’t diminish your self-worth.” Soojung nodded in agreement.

 

“I just thought you’d be disappointed,” Krystal said softly.

 

“Why would I be?” Seulgi answered, smiling at her girlfriend. “Come on. Let’s rinse this off so you can be the small spoon already.”

 

Seulgi helped her wife up, popped the drain cover open, and turned the shower on. It only took them a few minutes, with a few heated kisses here and there, before they were finally able to hop out of the shower and finally go to the bedroom in their comfy couple pajamas.

 

The skyline view of Seoul, with it’s bright and gigantic buildings, elevated the calm atmosphere that their shared bedroom had. Before Seulgi was able to plop down on the queen-sized bed, Soojung pulled her close.

 

“What exactly are we doing?” 

 

“Dancing,” Krystal said, swaying their bodies together. “I can be romantic too, you know.”

 

“Without music? Should I be worried?” Seulgi chuckled before cowering at her girlfriend’s piercing stare. “Nevermind. I’m sorry.” Seulgi placed her head on Soojung’s shoulder, making her feel the loud heartbeat echoing through the younger’s torso.

 

Seulgi smiled in contentment, swaying to the beat of her girlfriend’s heartbeat.










 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n:

 

Hello guys. It's been a long time since I posted or updated any of my stories here. I really am sorry but, you know, adulting.

I'll try my best to update Waking Up in Vegas as soon as I can. I've been working on a couple drafts for a few months now but I'm still piecing the story together.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed the short fluff. 

Keep safe always!

-J