1 the bunny in a suit

under this pink pink umbrella
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

The rain pelted hard on the store shed. The cold draft of the convenience store behind her chilly as she stood in front of it, taking shelter from the rain that unexpectedly happened on her way to school, white tennis shoes wet as it seeped from the surface to her sock-clad feet.

 

 

 

The rain came in tiny drops at first, the sky still blue with white clouds drifting slowly above. The kind of weather that made her take her time getting to school, steps small and light on the pavement and the breeze ruffling her wispy bangs along with it, a smile growing big on her face, appreciating the moment.

 

 

 

It was supposedly a great day. There was 10-20% chance of rain, a slight shower across the clear blue sky. However, as she crossed the street, big traitorous drops kept falling over head. Seungwan ran the rest of the way, stopping in this hole in the wall convenience store with a rainbow shade above its automatic doors.

 

 

 

Hair and crisp uniform wet, Seungwan groaned, glaringly eyeing the traitor of a weather app on her phone, sighing heavily as she looked at the gray sky that was once clear and blue five minutes ago. She clutched the strap of her backpack, willing the rain to go away in her mind.

 

 

 

If she'd have to dance the rain dance to make it go away, she would but then she'd be soaking wet like the puppy she passed by a few blocks away. Seungwan muttered a few choice words under her breath, the time on her phone displaying that she only got 10 minutes before she's late for the homeroom period.

 

 

 

In times like these, she feels like she's been bestowed with a curse. The umbrella that she always brings to school is forgotten at home when it's needed. Whenever she brings it, the sky is always bright. Whenever she forgot it, the sky would betray her like this, raining down on her when she least expects it.

 

 

 

Wearily eyeing the sky, her mind went to those K-Dramas that she watched religiously during her spare time. Moments when the female main character would be found walking with shoulders slumped in the rain and then a male main character would appear out of nowhere, sheltering her from the rain. Drops of rain hitting anywhere else except her and as she looked up, there, someone protected her with an umbrella, smiling down at her reassuringly.

 

 

 

Sighs.

 

 

 

The thought brought a wave of sadness inside her. Thinking there must be a reason why it only ever happens in the movies. Having this kind of dream before but is never even half close to achieving it.

 

 

 

Son Seungwan was pretty popular in her school. She's an overachiever with school representative credentials to back her up since freshman year, a math whiz and near native fluency in english. She's friendly and outgoing and is a varsity member of the girl's football team.

 

 

 

But for some very clear reasons, the closest experience she has for a relationship is receiving a chocolate and love letter from an anonymous sender for three years straight during Valentine's Day and a box of strawberry flavored Peppero during Peppero Day -- kind of anti-climactic to give her one when she got no one to enjoy those treats with. She has received several other letters but none like the one sent by a schoolmate or a classmate that uses the same paper with bunny and hearts design and the chocolates are always in the shape of the hamster charm dangling on her backpack.

 

 

 

That's how she knew it came from the same sender. It was different from all the other stuff she received from other people. Some are upfront about it, putting in their name and even phone number in case and some would just say 'Hi' or wave and greet her on the hallways, which she returns with a smile of her own.

 

 

 

It's very feminine, come to think of it. She's not new to receiving affections from guys, but girls are a different thing. Especially one this girly with the overly pink affectionate bunch of presents. She likes it, nonetheless. Sometimes Seungwan would catch herself anticipating Valentine's Day, giving the sender ample time to place their gifts on her locker before she'd arrive and open it.

 

 

 

The bunny and hearts letter and the delicately wrapped hamster chocolate never fails to put her heart in a mush. She smiled as she recollected the last time she received those.

 

 

 

The year is as fresh as her rain-soaked tennis shoes, mind renewed as she set her goal to catch the bunny-and-heart's sender this year.

 

 

 

(But is it really necessary?)

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter