Part IV

Message in a Bottle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 4

“you're so far away and i'm down”

_______

 

In an attempt to not stare pathetically at his phone until he gets a text back, Baekhyun washes his face and puts on a face mask. Then he unpacks another box—this one holds all of his utensils and bowls. Then when his notifications on his second phone remain blank (on his main phone, his manager has sent him an influx of texts instructing him about schedule changes), he washes off the mask and goes to put on moisturizer. Baekhyun is halfway through patting it on when his phone finally chimes.

Embarrassingly, he immediately drops what he’s doing and makes a sharp beeline for it.

[9:14pm] glucose
thanks for the recs

He frowns. She usually doesn’t thank him without adding another snide remark in.

[9:14pm] baekhyun
isn’t it past your bedtime missy

[9:15pm] glucose
my day kind of derailed LOL

That’s a self deprecating, definitely-not-smiling-much-less-laughing LOL if he’s ever seen one.

[9:15pm] baekhyun
what happened?

[9:16pm] glucose
lol saw my ex when i was buying shampoo

He’s not proud of the way he freezes. She doesn’t talk about her ex much—doesn’t want to, from what Baekhyun can gather—but on the few occasions she has, the feeling that rises in response is not pleasant.

The guy’s a total . That much Baekhyun had deduced right from the beginning, after the first ever set of texts she’d sent him, which had been directed to a certain Jimin. Apart from the common name, the only other character trait Baekhyun knows is that he’s downright awful. Which is something she has reaffirmed on numerous occasions, but at the same time admitted to not being over him.

So, Baekhyun tells himself—that feeling that settles uncomfortably at the pit of his stomach at the mention of her ex is righteous indignation on her behalf. His inner Kyungsoo quite pragmatically corrects him that it’s much more likely to be akin to jealousy.

[9:19pm] baekhyun
i thought you said he lived really far from you?

[9:19pm] glucose
oh, he does. he’s just visiting his girlfriend that lives close to me!! woo ing hoo

[9:20pm] baekhyun
‘scuse my french but what a

[9:21pm] glucose
indeed

And because while Baekhyun may be jealous, he wants to think that he’s better than the likes of Jimin. So he swallows the bitter taste at the back of his throat. Besides, what right does he even have to feel upset? He doesn’t even know her name.

[9:23pm] baekhyun
are you feeling ok?

[9:24pm] glucose
i guess? idk what to feel to be honest
guess i’m kind of mad at myself that i’m still not over him yet lmao

[9:25pm] baekhyun
it takes time to get over someone, especially if you’ve been with them for a long time
and i mean, wouldn’t the first step to getting over someone be thinking you SHOULD be getting over them?
at least i’m guessing because to be very honest i haven’t dated anyone for three years lol

[9:26pn] glucose
you’re right but like
i’ve KNOWN that i should be getting over him for the longest time
like objectively i know being with him wasn’t healthy for me
for like many reasons lmfao and i can confidently say it was 90% his problem
but i just can’t get over him its like im stuck idk
my friend told me i should just start blind dating to get my mind off him or smtg like that lol
and the thing is i don’t try to turn up where he is or look for him or stare at his pictures or anything like that that apparently ur supposed to do when u still like ur ex so its like?? why do i still like him??????
although i think the last time i saw him i felt more sad than angry so i guess im improving???
oh sorry for the spam this is probably boring for u HAHAHA i’m going to shower now i need to go to bed

Baekhyun stares at the wall of texts as he struggles to formulate a response.

Finally, he decides he needs a little bit more time to think of a reply that’s free from the influence of the bitter twist of jealousy. So instead of texting back, Baekhyun sets down his phone, goes to finish his skincare routine, and unsuccessfully tries not to think of Kyungsoo’s proclamation of being e-friendzoned.

 

***

 

By a of luck, Baekhyun’s afternoon shoot is cancelled because the head photographer came down with a fever. He gets home at a record-early time of two.

Kyungsoo had promised to come help him unpack and move in in the evening, but apart from that, he has nothing else to do. There is a single apple in his fridge, which Baekhyun munches on with little enthusiasm.

She still hasn’t replied, which is odd, because she normally responds to him between five and five thirty in the morning. He reads and rereads his last texts and tries to figure out if he said anything wrong, but no matter how he analyses it, he sounds genuine and nice enough. A couple of times, he types up variations of are you okay? but chickens out of sending them.

By the time it’s three o’clock, Baekhyun has decided to take an early trip to the bakery. He’s not sure if Seri’s offer about dropping by after-hours is a one-time thing or if she’s still open to him doing it, but he doesn’t want to push his luck with her or make it seem like he’s exploiting his celebrity-status.

Pulling one of his many caps over his head, Baekhyun heads down the elevator.

It’s not a far walk. The neighborhood is quiet, and Baekhyun had once contemplated taking early morning jogs around the park that was around fifteen minutes from his apartment. Then he tried it once and got recognized and decided to stick with the treadmill.

Still, having to avoid the park aside, it’s a nice area to live. There’s a convenience store practically across his place, which is then only one block from the bakery. There’s even his favourite coffee chain across the street, even if Baekhyun’s just been grabbing coffee at the bakery because it’s easier and quicker. Their coffee isn’t half bad.

Despite the walk being only five minutes away, the afternoon sun is merciless as it beats down on his back, making Baekhyun regret the black sweatshirt he’s wearing. It’s too late to go back now, so he it up and trudges with his head down until he’s finally reached the bakery.

Thankfully, three in the afternoon doesn’t seem to be a prime time for most customers. The windchimes tinkle cheerfully as he pushes the door open, and Seri’s now-

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter