Chapter 4- I Can’t

TENANT

 

Jungkook watch the handsome man sleeping on the hospital bed, if it were not for the fact that he is sick he would totally picture himself as the prince in the well-known tale of Sleeping Beauty where it only take a kiss for the princess to wake up.

Taking another step, he took the opportunity to take a closer look and just to be amused by the beauty in front of him.

Kim Taehyung is no joke, his thick brows and long eye lashes were visible without the eye glasses he usually wear during work, those eyes that look so sharp when he was awake were now so peaceful and that nose bridge that everyone wants to have, then his lips slightly parted, they look so soft and inviting. All in all he has that lovely serene face.

“Excuse me, that’s invading of privacy” Jungkook automatically took a step back, looking everywhere ‘coz there is no where he would face his friend doctor right now.

“Did I just caught you red handed?” Siwon asks with a smug face making the younger’s already embarrassed face turns to a more crimson shade.

“The test results we made-as per your request, has been released. Based on what you tell us about how you witness him buying breads instead of proper meals, he might get eating disorder. It don’t happen overnight, they can develop over the course of few months.” Siwon said while reading the papers on hand as he decided to let him off this time, the redness of Jungkook’s face starts to fade and turns into a bothersome expression that never escapes Siwon’s eyes.

“So… any idea on how to avoid it? I mean prevention is better than cure right?” Jungkook asks now eyes on the sleeping man, he sat on the chair beside the bed and watch as Taehyung’s chest goes up and down continuously.

“He would be needing someone to take care of him… but sad to say, he doesn’t have any relatives here… so…” the doctor trailed midway his sentence and look at him with somewhat half teasing him while wiggling his brows.

“Hyung! What’s with that look?!” he frown and reach out to hit his hyung but the said man is much quicker to take a step back making more space between them.

“What am I saying is that, this might be the chance you are waiting for?” Siwon said now with a not-so-serious-look. “He is the infamous Kookie-crush, isn’t he?” he added making Jungkook’s mouth agape, loss of words, big eyes.

“Yes, I talked to Jeong-su hyung and Kyuhyunie” the doctor can’t help but smile seeing that face. And how can Jungkook forget about the connections between them?

“Kidding aside, I suggest you should take care of him.” In a blink of an eye Siwon is in his ‘doctor mode’, for how long Jungkook stay silent? He didn’t know.

“And how am I supposed to get him agree with that?” this answer makes Siwon wear a dead panned expression, more like his soul left his body to be honest.

“Do what you are good at! My god, you blessed this kid with too much iness, good looks, talents, but less intelligence when it comes to flirting!” the doctor’s statements are somewhat true, as there was a saying ‘truth hurts’, then Siwon turns around not wanting to waste more time talking to this kid.

“What am I good at?” he asks to himself when the Doctor left the room and shut the door.

 

----------

Eugine stuff his face with food not bothered by the not so friendly aura surrounding the two person he is sitting with, he was seated beside Hoseok and across them is no other than Somi.

“Oppa, how did Taehyung oppa got sick?” Somi asks no one in particular, Hoseok look at her while she picks her food. “Can you give me his address? Maybe I can visit him” Hoseok puts down his spoon and fork then wipe his mouth with tissue before he answer the girls question.

“He, being absent means he have to take a rest and I think visitors at this time would not make any better.” Saying those words with a stern face makes Somi look at him with curiosity.

“Why do I have a bad feeling that you already hate me?” she asks while crossing her arms.

The moment they met, this girl makes his head ache especially when the younger male beside him (who started all of this mess) is not helping at all.

“It’s because you are my Ex” for the first time the younger male voice out after finishing his food and now drinking the iced coffee he ordered.

“Are you done?” Hoseok asks him, this time snapping his head towards the other male, when Eugine nods he stood up and held a hand towards the younger which the later take. They both excuse themselves saying the lunch is over before walking back to their office.

Upon entering the elevator Eugine move to face Hoseok and asks “What’s with the stern face?” with his free hand on his waist. Yes, Hoseok still holds his other hand.

“What?” it’s a good thing that they were alone inside the elevator, if not? They would totally look like married couple arguing about some matter.

“You were supposed to act as my Boyfriend… I mean like were so in-love, not like a tiger that would jump on its prey any moment.” He protested with a little bit annoyance on his voice.

“Ohh… Now it is me? How about you? Silently eating and ignoring us?” Hoseok also move to face the younger, now they were inches apart, fighting for dominance.

Eugine open his mouth to make some more protest when the elevator dinged and the doors open revealing a very astonished CEO and his Secretary. Their gaze fall down to their hands and for a moment Hoseok felt his body stiff by just looking at the other pair outside the elevator.

They all come back to their senses when Donghae cleared his throat then Eugine stepped out tugging Hoseok, still holding hands. With quick steps they were out of sight.

“Are those two?” Hyukjae mumbles under his breath.

“How long are you going to hold my hand?” Hoseok voice out as soon as they enter his office, with a sudden reflex Eugine let him go saying a soft sorry.

“I-I just walk you here, I’m going back to my table” before Hoseok can say anything the younger went out and already closed the door.

Eugine looks on the wall clock and its past six in the evening indicating it is time to go home, after collecting all his personal belongings he is now ready to go. On his way to his apartment he saw a familiar car pulls across the street.

His steps become smaller and slower, when a man gets off the driver’s seat Eugine immediately move to the nearest possible place he can hide blabbering some profanity under his breath. He’s too tired to face this man for tonight so Eugine decided to take a step back before pulling out his phone and call a certain person on his contact list.

“Hyung, I’m on my way to your house, spare me a room please.”

___________

Taehyung woke up feeling the nausea, he examined the surroundings which is everything he saw is in white. Hospital? He asks himself, the clock on the wall states it is already twelve noon and just in time the door opens and he did not expect this young man who came with a tray of food.

With wide eyes, Jungkook halted his actions when he saw the patient sitting on top of the hospital bed. He felt a bit stuck in a moment when their eyes met, but he manage to collect himself and continue to walk towards him and put the tray on the side of the bed.

“You’re awake.” Jungkook sounds casual but deep inside he is in chaos. Those pair of eyes and a questioning look made him feel butterflies.

“Can… you tell me what happen?” Taehyung’s deep baritone voice didn’t help to shoo the butterflies, it made them flap their wings more.

Taking a deep breath he decided to sit on the edge of the bed and build up all the courage he saved for the past years of his life.

“I found you unconscious on the street two days ago, you’re having a fever so I decided to take you to the hospital… the doctor said you don’t have any relatives here… as for now, I am your guardian.” Taehyung’s eyes slowly got bigger and his mouth open up but there are no words coming from him.

“I brought you a soup, you should eat first, let’s talk about this later.” The younger said with a smile because Taehyung looks so cute at the moment. The later man nods in agreement and took the food Jungkook offered.

A couple of minutes had past and he finished the food, now they need to sort things.

“I am so thankful that you helped me, and I am extremely sorry for causing you trouble Mr. Jeon… is there any way that I can repay you?” Taehyung started with a bow, now that he is back to his normal self, he uses formality.

“Oh… that’s right, Mr. Kim. I also want to apologize, ‘coz I went to your apartment once the doctor said you need a couple of things.” Jungkook expect him to be a surprised but the older male didn’t. Instead he just nod.

“I didn’t mean to pry, but you live in a place that…” Jungkook tried to think a better word for ‘rundown’ but he cannot think of any better.

“Yes, I am”

“So, I want to propose a deal with you. I saw that your place is neat despite of being a yeah… why don’t you move in my apartment instead?” this statement makes Taehyung surprised, and Jungkook expected this.

“I really need someone to help me with house hold chores to be honest, I hope you can help?” Taehyung might look like a goldfish with his mouth open and the younger find it amusing.

“Well, I have a spare room you can use, then you don’t have to pay the rent, just help me with the cleaning and all” he added with a small smile.

“I can’t… I mean we were complete strangers” Jungkook’s smile turns into a pout and his face becomes serious.

“Is there any other way to repay you?” he asks when the younger didn’t utter a single word.

“No.” he answers bluntly, feeling a bit upset.

“This is the only way, if not, I will asks you to pay the hospital bills with interest, but how about my time taking care of you?” Taehyung felt exceptionally nervous all of the sudden, the words were flat and he knew the other male is upset. Which Jungkook notice and internally scolding himself.

“I’m sorry, I really need some help now, I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.” The younger advert his eyes looking somewhere else.

Taehyung felt a bit guilty, he rub the back of his neck and take a deep breath before saying “I’m sorry too… I can’t leave my apartment because it has a sentimental value to me” He admitted.

Jungkook shut his eyes so hard, he obviously made a huge mistake. He didn’t saw this coming, he wish that the ground will open up and swallow him alive.

“But I can go and help you every now and then. I just can’t move.” Jungkook snap his head and look at the shy Taehyung.