Reunion

Regret is my biggest fear

15 YEARS LATER.....

 

RYUJIN'S POV

 

I was being dragged out of bed. "Dada get up, you said we will go on a trip today" Woojin said pulling my blanket. "Yeah I remember buddy, let me sleep a little" I said covering my face with the blanket. "Mom is coming" Woojin whispered and I sat up straight on the bed, legs crossed as if I was awaken long back. Woojin stood there looking at the door and then at me. 

 

You could say my son, Shin woojin who is 10 years old by now is like my little friend, that's also the reason I call him buddy. "Ryujin its already so late, why did you promise them about the trip if you wanted a day to rest" Yeji, if you remember her. She's my wife.

 

"Its not like I want to cancel it but can we postpone it for night?" I said as I sat on the edge of the bed. "I don't know, you need to make the kids understand." Yeji said while folding some clothes. "Buddy, can we go on a night trip rather than now?" I asked and he nodded. 

 

I checked the time and it was 1 in the noon. "Woojin get your stuff together in your room, its all so messy" Yeji said and Woojin stepped out of the room. "How do you get up so early after you make me so tired?" I asked as I back hugged her and sniffed her hair. I moved us in sink. "Its like I feel much more energetic but obviously for you its still tiring after work and all" She said and turned around to face me and eventually my hands slipped from her arms to her waist. "You do remember its Yujin's result day right?" She asked and I just hummed even after the fact I just remember it now. I focused on the lady in front of me.

 

"I cant believe a women like you who is a mother of two kids has maintained such a body" I praised her. She laughed it off. "We'll be at the table its probably Lunch now but for you, come and have breakfast" She said as she placed the folded clothes aside and walked out. 

 

I used the bathroom and then went down, I was about to sit on my chair but then someone ring the bell. If you are wondering about the past and our lifes then I will say that we are in the states. I and my little family. I lost dad 4 years back. It was sorrowful but life goes on. 

 

Mom lives in Seoul with Yuna. Wait, I forgot they were gonna visit us. Its been like 3 years I met them. And for the kids and Yeji its much longer. I rushed to the door to see Yujin walking in. "Hello" She greeted. I chuckled and let her in and closed the door later. 

 

"I need to cancel our trip today" I said as we all were now seated on the dine. "Why?" woojin and Yeji asked in union. "We have better plans for today." I said and everyone looked at me for an explanation. "Dada my report" Yujin placed her report in front. I looked at it and was amazed. "You got some of your mom's brain" I patter her head. Yeji looked over her grades and was satisfied. Woojin being curious jumped on his side and was peeping into the paper.

 

"Good, You wanna go out later?" Yeji asked and Yujin shook her head. She is cold and calm, not so interactive but when she gets a right person to open up she cannot stop talking. "Now say me Ryujin why did you cancel the trip you promised?" Yejis asked and I did not want to reveal it to them. "You'll know" It was like 15 minutes we were having our lunch and the bell rang again.

 

I got up and walked to the door and without any doubt opened it to find Mom smiling. "I missed you so much" I said and hugged her really tight. Beside her was Yuna and Lia and also their kid Lyna. I greeted them all but Yuna refused to let go.

 

And if you are thinking what happened to chaeryeong, 

 

They did not work out. But Yuna still talk to her or text her, more like friends. Yuna asked Lia out but obviously it wasn't easy cuz Lia was straight. After all those years they adopted a child and named her Shin Lyna. Lyna was alredy 3 years old when they adopted her.

 

And while I'm explaining this Lyna and Yujin are already hugging each other as if its their last meet. As I said Yujin open up to very few people so Lyna was one of them. They both are of same age, 14. 

 

Yeji greeted everyone and so did woojin. We all were seated in the living room while Yujin and Lyna were in the bedroom, they met after so long and they wanted to talk a lot. "How have you been good boy?" Lia asked Woojin. "I'm good and see I'm not a kid anymore so don't call me Good boy" Lia chuckled. "I never knew Shin family would be this lovely. Lia said referring to how she went gay for Yuna. 

 

Yuna smiled and kissed Lia's temple. "Whipped" Yeji teased but then Yuna hugged Yeji. "I missed you unnie" Yuna said. "I'm so blessed to have a family like this, no wonder how my kids are lesbians" Mom joked and we all let out a laugh. "I'll show you the room you will stay in so that you guys can rest." 

 

Later Lyna came out with Yujin and to notice she was wearing Yujin's cloths. "I'm done taking a shower, Yujin helped me" Yeji chocked on water as Lyna said that. "what?" Yuna asked and lyna nervously laughed, "I gave her clothes and that's what the helping means" Yujin said or kind of mocked us.

 

"They are just really dirty" Yujin said to Lyna. "It's fine I know Ryu well" Lyna spoke. "It's dude" I corrected her. "Yeah dude" She said and walked out with Yujin. They really enjoy each other's company. I always made Lyna to call me dude cuz aunt does not sound good. "Its so good to have this family reunion, I just wish your dad was here" Mom said sadly.

 

"Its alright Mama, he is in a better place now" Yeji tried to cheer up. It was almost mid night, I did not notice the time. We don't notice how much time have passed when we are with our family. My family visited us 3 years back and then later I went to Korea for business so I spend a little time with them. "How's life?" Yeji asked Yuna cuz there was no topic left to talk as we were speaking for so long now.

 

Lia was in the room taking a shower after Yuna so now Yuna was with me and Yeji as Mom also wanted to rest.

 

I asked the kids to sleep and like every time Lyna and Yujin shared a room and mom wanted to spend time with her grandson. "Life's good. I'm happy but somewhere or the other I compare the time I spend with Chaeryeong with the time I'm spending with Lia." Yuna said as she sat back comfortably. 

 

"It's fine, Your life is much beautiful. You have a child to look after and a really good partner to spend life with" I said and sat beside her. Now Yuna was sitting between Yeji and I.

 

"I'm grateful that I experienced life with chaeryeong" She said. "Don't say that loud, Lia might kill you" I teased. "She knows everything. In fact when we are together I cried in her arms about my past and she understands but from that day she keeps distance between us" She sadly mentioned. "Why would you talk to Lia about your ex dummy" I said. "She just did not want to hide her insecurities from Lia" Yeji said and rubbed the back of Yuna's hand. And Yuna nodded.

 

"Its been a year I met chaeryeong and talked to Lia about that" She sighed shakily. She was holding her tears back. "So its also been a year she treated you a little different?" Yeji asked.

 

"Not a little Unnie, not a little. She acts unaffected if I show her love and care and even if I try to be cold. Its like we don't fight, we don't talk and we don't want to leave each other, I don't know about Lia but I don't want to leave her" Yuna now let out a sob and buried her face in her hand and yeji hugged her from side and rubbed her back.

 

"It will be alright just don't give up. And you guys keep it so low that even when you both are the happiest or you both are going through the worst you be the same" I said. I don't know what to say cuz when I thought Yuna was happy with chaeryeong they fell apart and now when she has a family with Lia still she is crying.

 

"shush Yuna, it was be all fine okay? You are strong. You cant let Lyna see you cry like this. You have to be strong for Lyna and for yourself too." Yeji said. "Talk to her now, go and say her how you really feel" I said and Yuna just wiped her tears away. "It's been so long I have spoke to someone, Thank you for listening to me and sorry I just you know-" She took a deep breath and let her words incomplete.

 

"I cant talk to her. It's been so painfully silent between us. She still thinks I want Chaeryeong when I'm wanting her. She never spoke up so I don't know what is going through her mind."Yuna spoke again close to cry. "It happens, but please talk to her and even if you guys fight or like not talk it will be alright at least try to ask her how she feels" Yeji said and now went to the kitchen which I'm assuming she is bringing water for Yuna.

 

"Its hard to be all good in front of Lyna, she is grown up. She will find out that her parents are not going through something good." Yuna said. I caressed her head and patter her shoulder. "Just talk to her" I said and she drank water what Yeji brought her. "You know whats funny? I never get to touch her" Yuna bitterly chuckled. "You mean in this whole year you never-?" I continued my sentence with an expression which everyone can understand.

 

"Not like I cannot control myself or something but fact, she don't even open to say anything how can I ask her to do it with me?" Yuna questioned. "I'm not talking just about that it can also be just skinship" I said and Yuna laughed a little.

 

"Nope" YUna said. "You did not even try?" Yeji asked and Yuna shook her head. "That's why you are dumb, you should have tried" I said and Yuna looked at me. "She does not what that so how can I just go to her and be all touchy?" Yuna explains. "You never asked or tried how can you say that?" Yeji asked.

 

"God, I know her. She does not want that" Yuna said a little loud. "You don't even want to give it a try. You are scared of taking the risk Shin. Don't say what she wants or what she does not, its just you who is being a " I said. She opened to say something but then closed it again.

 

"Take a risk, give it a try" Yeji said. Yuna got up from the couch and looked at us before walking off. We were let confused with the look she gave us before leaving, was she gonna try or hear it from one ear and leave it from another?

 

YUNA'S POV

 

Was I gonna try? Well, yeah. Lets take a risk and the risk is not that big for me to be scared but like what Ryujin unnie said its better if I speak now then never and she even said they were there to support me so I'm gonna try.

 

With all confidence I walked in the room just to find Lia buttoning the last button of her pj's. She then looked at me and shifted her glaze to the bed which was on my right. Her hair were soaked or quite num. I slowly took my steps to her and I slightly held her wrist with just my intex finger and thumb. She looked down at our hands and then looked at me. For her its new of me trying.

 

I realized that was surly being a coward or was just running away. "I- can we talk?" I asked and she nodded. I made her sir on the end of the bed and sat next to her. "um.. its about us" I said and she looked at me turning her attention to me. "okay" She spoke and asked me to continue. I took her hand in mine and played with her finger. She did not obliged not removed her hand away. 

 

I guess trying is not hard but it took me almost a year. "What happened to us we were all good right, but then when I opened up to you, you just distanced yourself from me. Is my presence annoying? Or am I not treating you good?" I asked. She looked at me looking directly into my eyes. "Its nothing Yuna" she said and I shook my head and did not believe what she said. 

 

"Can we talk nicely once, I promise to not cross my lines again" I said pleadingly and now she moved her hand away and turned completely towards me. "Yuna you are not crossing any lines okay? Its peaceful when there are less things to think about" She said. I felt like I have no words right now. "Its- Its peaceful when I'm not around right? I know, I- I know but I have to try to speak to you at least once. And you drew lines between us" I said and now I know I'm about to cry.

 

"I drew lines because I did not want to get hurt and I did that for our good" She said. "but do you know how it hurts when you did that. We never talked in a whole year. Was sharing my emotions so bad that it cuts us off?" I asked not sure of what her answer will be. Tonight I'm filled with questions.

 

"I think this way is better than being broken" She said without looking at me. "I'm broken right now cant you see it? And please I'm sorry that my past is not good or I'm sorry for over sharing things which I thought you will understand but I guess it hurt you." I said as a tear escape my eyes but I wiped it off quickly.

 

"I don't know Yuna, I don't want to let go of you but also seeing you around makes me feel guilty that I never opened up to you. And I know how it feels when you have no one to share things with or open up to but I felt worse when you said you still miss Chaeryeong" she sobbed. I pulled her into a warm hug and cried on her shoulder. She is much older than me and here I am taking care of her.

 

The never bothered me and I'm completely fine with being younger. The is 8 years and I know its like she is my sister but I asked her out and tried my best so why give up now?

 

"I'm sorry but its been a year we talked about how we feel for each other. I-I still love you Lia, just like before or even more. The distance we had killed me inside. I don't want you to feel the same about me, I know and I understand its normal or feelings to change. I will never force you to say me anything. We have been happy for years and now here we are." I cried loud in her arms. She loosen the grip on me as if she was asking space and I gave her.

 

"I'm sorry I treated you like trash and I'm so thankful that you chose to talk because I could never. Its not like I have changed towards you. I just needed time to think and I guess I over thought and made it worse. I just needed to hear those words again and yes you did say me that you love me. I don't know how to react cuz I was an ." She said and chuckled it off. 

 

"Can I hug you?" I asked and she laughed. "Did you ask me before taking my ity?" Lia raised an eyebrow and now I guess she is that same person I love. I hugged her tightly and she rested her head on my shoulder. "I did ask you if you were sure and you were willingly giving it to me duhh" I laughed and gained a punch on my back as she was still hugging me. "I still could not believe you were a at that age, like you were 29 I am guessing" I said and realized her from the hug.

 

"I saved it for you" she chuckled. "Are we good now?" I asked her and again she went silent. "Its okay if you need space but please let me know if you need anything. I am always there for you even if you don't want me to be" I said and she looked at me as I got up and fixed my shirt. 

 

"I love you" she said and I see myself moving close to her or I might say leaning in to capture her lips. I stopped as I remember the lines thing. I was few centimeters away and I asked. "Is- is it okay if i-" She chucked again. "I said don't ask" She spoke. I scratched my nape. "Right" I said and leaned in.

 

Only 3 words..... I missed it.