Chapter 2

Monsters &

“Why couldn’t it be Frogershire?” Yeojin complained as she dodged a wolves attack the sound of an arrow piercing the wind relaxing her as it hit the wolf that was hell bent on attacking her.

“I’m never letting you near frogs.” Kim Lip retorted internally grateful the guards had rewarded them with weapons, throwing the now empty bow to the floor she unsheathed her sword tip pointing directly at the feral animals amber eyes lightly tinged red, though Lip couldn’t be sure as her immediate task was more important. “Now.” She signalled charging at the animal Yeojin doing the same on her side, the duo swung as hard and fast as they could hoping to get that final hit to kill the wolves. But they had tired themselves taking out the rest of the pack and with that slight tiredness Yeojin lagged behind slightly earning a slash on her arm. A pained scream escaped her lips as the hold on her weapon loosened, shakily placing a hand over the wound a gasp escaped her as the cool feeling of blood dripped from her fingers as if she had dunked them in paint. Anger coursed through her bright red as the blood staining her fingertips this was the first wound she had ever gotten in the field and by the Supreme she swore to avenge her torn skin. Tightening the grip on her trusty weapon she rushed at the wolf running only on her adrenaline she side stepped the wolf piercing it before anymore harm could be done.

“Yeojin are you okay?” Kim Lip asked worry over taking the older girl as she rushed to examine the wounded girl.

“It hurts.” Yeojin hissed the adrenaline leaving her on her knees. 

“Stay with me Yeojin we need to get to a doctor it’s deep.” Lip said trying to leave the worry out of her voice as the injured girl sagged forward on the horse the pain taking a hold on her. 

“Yay my first scar.” Yeojin cheered a wave of tiredness coming over her as Kim Lip raced through the forest.

“It’s a pretty cool scar right?” Yeojin questioned as she lay in the bed in their tavern room, the doctor had done the best she could with the resources available it was better than Kim Lip could have been able to do in the situation but as the hunter looked at the marred skin she couldn’t help but wish it away. 

“It’d be cooler if there was no scar.” Kim Lip muttered looking at Yeojins arms in regret, a look Yeojin wasn’t used to seeing from her closest friend, living the type of life they did regret wasn’t something you could afford.

“It’s okay I was bound to get scarred one day on this journey but as long as I’m okay that’s all that matters.”

“And are you okay?”

“I am, sure it stings a little but it’s okay as long as we’re together I’ll always be okay.” Yeojin replied her simple outlook on life earning a soft smile from Kim Lip, the girl wanted nothing but to stay together something so simple yet something Kim Lip wasn’t sure she could promise the girl. After all they’re hunters, their jobs don’t guarantee them tomorrow hell they’re not even guaranteed today Lip thinks as she looks at the scar on Yeojins arm.

“Get some rest.” Kim Lip said ignoring the urge to hug the younger girl and protect her from the evils of the world but she couldn’t do that, Yeojin is no longer the child she met in the forest so naive to the ways of the world. She’s seen the ugly she has no need for somebody to coddle her especially somebody as disgusting as her Lip thought clenching her gloved hands. With a final smile she turned around and walked out of the room leaving Yeojin to look at her retreating form in contemplation. Kim Lip never spoke much about herself so when those silences came over them Yeojin wished she could peer in to the older girls mind to see what she was thinking, she always listened to the younger girl, teasing her, helping her, guiding her, she just wished the older girl would also feel comfortable in her presence to do the same with her.

“I’d like some more rest.” Yeojin yawned as they stood outside the tavern at sunrise readying the day’s undoubtedly long journey. Over the course of the month Yeojin and Kim Lip had made their way through their list of tasks, the people had little money to offer them so their money was running low, the doctors fee hitting them hard however Kim Lip never blamed Yeojin for it instead the duo simply hunted for their food instead of constantly buying it and the rest of their money went towards their lodgings, they’d hunt for food they couldn’t afford but they needed to pay for their shelter after all Wolvershire wasn’t the safest place to camp in.

“Final task is to take care of the beast lurking in the woods speak to the guard captain for more details.” Kim Lip said depositing the note back in to her pocket as they walked to the guard outpost located near the front gates, their horses trotting beside them.

“Do you think they’ll give us enough money for a hot meal I’m tired of rabbit.” Yeojin asked as the guard outpost came in to view, it was nothing fancy but it stood stronger than any other structure in the city. “Excuse me is the guard captain here?” Yeojin asked a soldier stood outside the door.

“State your business?” The soldier asked looking at the duo suspiciously before a sound of approval escaped them when Kim Lip took out the note pinned on the notice board. “Follow me.” The guard led them up the tower to a barren room where a man sat hunched over his desk bottles of unopened alcohol lay strewn all over the floor.

“Ah you’re here regarding the notice.” The man said noticing the paper in Kim Lips hand. “Thank you soldier you may return to your post, now you two are certainly a surprise.”

“I like surprises.” Yeojin chimed in taking a seat in front of the tired but smiling man.

“You two have definitely been a nice surprise from your first encounter helping rid us of bandits to the feral wolves even settling family disputes and helping farmers who needed an extra set of hands you’ve helped this city greatly.” He stated pointing a hand to the available chair in front of him. “Don’t worry I don’t bite.” Yeojin motioned for the older girl to sit beside her and with slight hesitation she sat down before the man. She preferred the in and out approach but Yeojin enjoyed conversation.

“Don’t worry about that sir we just want to help the people.” Yeojin said pleased their hard work had been recognised.

“You’re far too humble more than I would care to be in your position.” He remarked earning a laugh from Yeojin.

“It’s the least we could do considering what the city is now like.”

“Ah yes the war had been terrible we had a great many souls on our side then many lives were lost and I’ll expect more to be lost soon.”

“What do you mean?” Yeojin questioned looking at the saddened face of the man.

“Another attack in Avent occurred, a farming village had been slaughtered, some civilians are missing as well as a retinue of guards.” The Captain replied pouring out a drink for all three of them. “It seems the newly crowned Queen is losing control of the people’s loyalty whilst they sit fearing it’s their lives next the Queen sits in the castle protected by the finest guards.” 

“Have they turned their sights on anyone yet?” Kim Lip asked watching the man nod his head in approval.

“The last war they had was Eden so it was natural for the people to turn their eye on the kingdom that was ready to overthrow their own kingdom not even a decade ago.” The man replied sadly. “It seems the cycle of war won’t finish I wish the Queen the best of luck she was thrown in to a difficult position but that’s not why you came ah yes you’re here about the notice.” He seemed ready for the change in topic but the kingdom of Eden kept ringing in her ear, did the King really wait so long to assassinate the monarchs? The King had a period where he was unhinged but he set himself straight for his daughter he vowed to Princess Jiwoo to be better so had he broken his vow?

“We haven’t seen any beast on our travels.” Yeojin stated breaking through Lip’s thoughts.

“When we put the notice up the sight of the best had just been spotted it was taller than anything we had ever seen. There were hunters before and after you that had turned up ready to slay it however none of them have returned, the last group left a fortnight ago and we’ve heard nothing from them.”

“Do you know what the beast is?”

“A troll.”

“I’m sorry officer but a single troll is causing such an issue?” Kim Lip asked flabbergasted that a lone troll had caused such a fight.

“It may be the biggest beast we have ever encountered add on the fact it swings a battering ram like a drunk man on a mission many people have simply died due to their stamina depleting before they caused any significant damage.”

“So it’ll either crush us with its feet or a ram.” Kim Lip summarised earning a nod from the man before her. “Where is the troll now?”

“We’re not sure exactly where it is but it was spotted in this vicinity last.” The guard pointed to the area on the map.

“That’s a two day ride.” Kim Lip said looking over to Yeojin who agreed with her.

“At least we’ll be able to easily spot it if it’s so big.” Yeojin said to Kim Lip who got up ready to leave.

“We put a sizable reward on this trolls head I’ll be expecting to give it to you.” The guard said earning a grin from the hunters who stood ready at the door.

“This better be the biggest reward in the history of rewards!” Yeojin whisper shouted as they looked up at the troll who was the size of the tree tops. They rode a little less than two days and came face to foot with the troll at the middle of the night, if they wanted to catch sight of the troll they needed to catch them at night when they wouldn’t be hiding from the sun.

“How do we kill something so big I don’t think our swords can even penetrate its skin?” Yeojin questioned earning a nod from Kim Lip they had sharpened their weapons before leaving but to kill a troll like this they needed some of the strongest steel known to man.

“We need to distract it long enough for the sun rise.”

“We have around an hour then.”

“There are caves for it to hid in they’re not very far if we let it keep going it’ll hide in there it doesn’t have long to hide and it knows.”

“So we attack it now!” Yeojin yelled running head first in to the troll with her daggers at the ready the blades didn’t fully pierce the skin but they stuck in long enough to stop the beast. A sigh escaped Kim Lip as she readied her bow Yeojin was crazier than she gave her credit for.

The battle waged on the troll had made progress towards the caves Kim Lip had mentioned beforehand and there wasn’t much to do if they didn’t want to get crushed but the troll had slowed the troll down significantly. They could feel the stillness creeping in to the troll as it stomped at the duo like a child throwing a tantrum, they were drained to say the least constant dodging wearing them out but they kept going, they had to or it was all for nought. All of Kim Lips arrows had finished as well as her pocket knives, so now she slashed at the beasts legs avoiding its stomps.

“Bide your time we’re nearly there.” Kim Lip instructed seeing Yeojin getting a little more impatient not that she could blame the girl but patience was a virtue for a reason. And so with restricted movements Kim Lip focused on its left leg and Yeojin slashed its right. Raising its right leg Yeojin jumped out of the way waiting for the usual thud that had been deafening their ears for the past hour, turning around ready to leap back into action the young hunter was greeted to the sight of rock. Not just any rock the girl thought with a cheer as she turned to look at the exhausted Kim Lip, it was troll rock, a glistening statue shading them from the suns first rays.

“We did it.” Yeojin cheered opening her arms towards the other girl before closing it as she looked at Kim Lip sheepishly.

“You did good.” Kim Lip said laughing at the sheepish look on Yeojins face ruffling her hair affectionately. “Let’s go to the guard Captain then we can sleep for the whole week.”

“You did good no amazing, truly you were the best surprise this city has ever received.” The guard captain laughed his first ever true laugh in months as he looked at the tired duo before him. “You’re a friend of Wolvershire if you ever need us then just call on us, if anybody questions you in these borders show them the ring and they’ll leave you be.” He said passing over two silver rings with the face of wolves on them to the two grateful girls.

“Thank you so much.” Yeojin cooed at the ring a gasp escaping her as she looked at the bag the man placed on the table in front of them.

“As promised your reward.” The hunters looked at one another before looking down at the hefty bag which had sat alone for months awaiting somebody to claim it but Yeojin shook her head, they couldn’t claim it not after living in the place.

“Your people need it more than we do.” Kim Lip said standing up.

“But you’ve done so much for us you have to take something.” The guard said looking at the standing with wide eyes.

“Now that the threat has gone invest money in to the city, help the people here, you’ve called us friend if we’re being honest that’s more than we could have asked for.” It was at times like this Kim Lip remembered Yeojin was once a princess, a swell of pride shone in her eyes as she watched Yeojin gently refuse the money, even if there were times the ex-princess was stubborn, hot headed or bratty there were more times she was selfless, kind and considerate.

“Thank you.” The guard Captain said looking at the girls as if they weren’t real.

“It’s no problem Captain the city was left in an abysmal state but there will be willing to help you it may not return to its former glory but you can only make it better from its current state. As you’ve called us friend you’re also our friend if you ever need us do not hesitate to seek our aid.” Yeojin said earning a smile from the Captain who looked as if he had renewed energy for the city.  

“We should get going we need to catch up on some sleep.” Kim Lip said earning a nod from the Captain who opened the door for them.

“It’s been a pleasure.” And with that the girls returned to the tavern thoughts of a peaceful sleep echoing in both their minds.

Kim Lip swore she was one to awake early she’d wake up way before Yeojin did so why had the sound of a door opening awoken her. Grasping the dagger under her pillow she waited until the intruder padded closer to her and in moments swiftness she grabbed the person by the shirt and pulled them below her.

“HEY! HEY!” The voice of Olivia Hye shouted from below her causing Kim Lip to back up in a flustered state.

“I told you to wait.” Gowon said laughing at her partner as she watched the two from Yeojins bed, the two laughing at Olivia Hye earning a pillow in the face from said girl. “It’s not the first or the second time it happened did you expect something different?”

“What was so important that you risked death?” Yeojin asked causing any laughter to die down as the pair looked at one another.

“The events of Avent have gotten worst.” Olivia Hye replied.

“We heard of another attack the people then the Queen and are blaming Eden.” Yeojin summarised earning a nod from Gowon.

“Whilst true things aren’t adding up? The King and Queen are dead if Eden did it they would have made a move on Avent now so why haven’t they? The Queen’s advisers are convinced it’s Eden pushing the Queen for a war before even a negotiation.” Gowon said looking over to Kim Lip the person they would have persuade, Yeojin was loyal to Kim Lip so would follow the girl as her de facto leader.

“Seems like they’re in a lose-lose situation.” Lip stated pulling the gloves on her hand harder.

“Well that’s why we’re here.” Gowon started earning a warning glare from Kim Lip.

“We need you to find where the missing bodies have gone.” Olivia Hye finished expecting the flat out refusal that came. “People are going missing from an unknown faction, they’re leaving nothing behind to help us if things continue there’ll be war between the citizens of Avent and Eden, we need to solve this.”

“I don’t see how you need me for it.” Kim Lip said strapping on her boots time was ticking for the partners they hadn’t expected her help but they hoped she would at least hear them out.

“You’ve travelled the length of this land you know it like nobody else, guards are too focused on their own territory, citizens never venture further than what’s safe, hunters never live long enough to tell of their tales but you.” Gowon replied watching as Kim Lips movements slowed down.

“The two of you have also travelled the country the four of us have travelled it together.”

“We’ve searched but we didn’t find anything it’s like they just disappeared in thin air we need another perspective.” Olivia Hye said hoping her friend was listening to her words and not the rage that built up when royalty was involved.

“If Eden are involved it wouldn’t be surprising if people disappeared in to thin air.” Kim Lip muttered before closing the door behind her.

The morning was cold as she aimlessly walked sending shivers down her spine but it was a reprieve from the warmth she felt in the room. Her friends meant well they meant well, they always did. Gowon was an ex princess the guilt for not being able to help her kingdom often led her to do missions for the other kingdoms her connections strong with them from her time at court, however her brother was furious he couldn’t charge her with treason for co-operating so casually with other kingdoms. A feeling of spite probably charged Gowons decision of helping the other kingdoms though she hadn’t done anything to harm her previous kingdom she simply helped the poor districts with her girlfriend and former castle stable girl Olivia Hye. Otherwise the duo would often meet up with Lip and Yeojin on the road and join them for a while before being whisked off to another kingdom, it seemed this time the mission was drastically different as the pair were chosen to aid the Queen due to the knowledge on the land they held.

Ex-princesses weren’t so bad they were fun and they had a sense of humanity but actual princesses she couldn’t trust them even the princess of Eden. Her heart clenched at the thought of not being able to trust someone who was once so dear to her but she couldn’t. She had to learn from her past, she needed to be better than when she was a child handing her heart out to anybody ready to listen. Royals only looked out for themselves. It was a lesson she vividly remembered as her hand idly traced her gloves, the pain had been ingrained in her, the lesson was remembered, people are fodder. The royals could fight their own war she didn’t have a bone to pick with any of them it was better to avoid them.

And with those thoughts she circled back to the tavern surprised to see it was now night time and the tavern was as full as it usually was. Yeojin sat at a table playing cards with a traveller seeing the older girl Yeojin quickly finished the game picking up her winnings before running to order some food.

“Foods on me.” Yeojin grinned raising her brows, causing the other girls shoulders to release their tension. “Gowon and Hye left saying they were going to continue looking if you wanted join them then meet them in Avent in two weeks.” The tension rece again as the other girl looked over at Yeojin who was busy trying to whistle to the bards tune.

“You’re not angry we’re not helping people?”

“We are helping people, the people of Wolvershire here needed somebody but the kingdoms turned their back on something they didn’t see as profitable anymore. I’d like to solve what happened to those poor people that went missing but the royals have so many people to help them but these people have nobody.” Yeojin replied easing Kim Lips heart as the food arrived.

“How about we help a village that has nobody?”