Chapter 11

Monsters &

Kim Lip sat in the gardens with Olivia Hye and Gowon the two playing chess or rather attempting to play chess Olivia Hye was more invested in trying to jump the whole board with her horse whilst Gowon was busy taking all of her opponents pieces off of the board with any piece including Olivia's own pieces. Safe to say they didn’t know how to play but they were enjoying throwing the pieces leaving Lip to catch them to avoid a mess maybe the real game was to make her run around and clean up their mess Lip thought picking up a king.

“If the King’s here its check mate.” Lip sighed placing the pieces on the table.

“Check mate.” Gowon cheered proudly waving the knight in her hand.

“Again.” Olivia Hye demanded trying to put the pieces back on the board however Kim Lip was fater and grabbed the board from the table.

“No you guys are terrible.” Lip said ignoring their whining as she wanted to preserve the game of chess from their hands.

“You know what else is terrible.” Olivia started catching the hunters attention. “How the Queen’s locked herself away in her study she’s just working away.”

“What does that have to do with me?” Lip asked eyeing the girl carefully who was just looking at the hunter with a straight face twirling the knight in her fingers.

“I thought you might want to check up on her after all I heard you gave her flowers I thou…” Lip put the board on the table stopping the girl from continuing.

“Oh God’s I’m so sorry I took your game.” Lip apologised stepping away from the laughing duo.

“Going to check on the locked queen?” Olivia Hye teased raising her brows causing the girl to be coated in red as she tried to glare at the smug pair.

“I’m going to check on Yeojin actually.” Lip said hurrying away from the laughing pair making her way to the hospital wing in record speed. Entering the room she greeted Dr Alucard and Yeojin who seemed to be having a pleasant conversation though the only word Lip caught was Frog before her mind balked.

“Frogs again?” Lip questioned earning an enthusiastic nod from the girl as she pulled out a stuffed frog from the middle of nowhere.

“Haseul made it for me.” Yeojin said in pride hugging the stuffed animal, if Yeojin wasn’t so damned happy over the frog Lip would have thought about throwing it out of the window.

“Please don’t tell me you kissed it.”

“Dr Alucard was telling me the possibility of the frog actually being a person.”

“I’m hoping you said it was impossible.” Lip said looking over at the laughing doctor.

“Long ago it was rumoured that a princess had kissed a frog that turned in to a prince so it was more like 1/100000 chance.” Dr Alucard said causing Yeojin to cheer as she pecked her stuffed frog.

“That’s a fairy tale though.” Kim Lip said grimacing at the sight of the frog.

“There’s always some truth to fiction it has to derive from somewhere.”

“Our imaginations a good place for that.” Lip replied noting how the doctor looked at her curiously for a moment before smiling again. “Do you believe in the tale?”

“Well I believe the person who wrote it would have had some experience or longing for them to write such a piece.”

“So you’re saying they either had a frog that was cursed or they longed to kiss a frog?” Lip asked weighing the options causing the Dr to laugh.

“Not exactly more along the lines of Eden’s tales of how the tree gave them shelter and water.”

“But even the storytellers I spoke to weren’t sure if that was a true tale.” Yeojin interjected causing a thoughtful expression to overtake the man’s face.

“Their job is to simply tell the tale they don’t have to know if it’s true or false they aren’t even aware of the possibilities that could exist for such a tale to exist.” The Dr replied the topic clearly exciting him as he welcomed the questions.

“What are you hinting at?” Lip asked.

“Recalling our last conversation it wouldn’t be a hazard to guess that the fantastical is involved.” The Dr replied walking over to his desk. “The Queen gave me this asking if I could test if it was poisoned.” Pulling out an apple he looked over to two baffled faces causing him to chuckle. “Her people would ask too many questions, remember I’m used to strange requests."

“Why does it seem like fruits a normal request?” Lip questioned earning a laugh from the man as he looked at the apple his reflection being cast to him from the apples bright shine, it was unnatural to say the least Lip thought as she saw the hospital room reflected in the red sheen.

“You’d be surprised how many people feared someone was out to get them.” The Dr replied looking over to the door where a servant stood nodding their head at the doctor. “Ah it seems we should go the others are waiting for us?”

“What’s going on?” Yeojin asked as she carefully slipped on a pair of slippers Choerry had given her this morning much to the younger girls delight.

“It’ll be easier to explain once.” The Dr replied leading them away, shrugging her shoulders Yeojin followed the Dr to the Queen’s study where all the girls stood waiting.

“Dr Alucard is everything alright?” Jinsoul asked the dark circles under her eyes growing darker than the last time Lip had seen her, even if the Queen attempted to hide her stress under a smile from the group with a smile it didn't work. The Queen didn’t have a very good poker face a weakness in her games of politics.

“Yes your majesty I just wished to speak of the object you gave me.” The Dr replied putting the apple on the table turning to look at all of the girls.

“Is it poisoned?” Choerry asked carefully looking at the apple it was enchanting from the blood red colour to its shine as if enticing one to bite in to it.

“No quite the opposite.” The Dr replied looking over to Yves and Kim Lip. “I don’t know where you got this from but I’m going to guess Eden.”

“Let me guess it’s like the Frog fairy tale.” Lip said earning a congratulatory smile from the Dr.

“What’s an apple got to do with a frog?” Olivia Hye questioned as she stared at the Dr in confusion.

“It has nothing to do with a frog but everything to do with the myth.” The Dr replied earning confused stares from everyone but Lip and Yeojin. “People speak of the tree of Eden and say it was the only tree in the plain however when I was still a doctor in Eden there were murmurs the true Eden lies further in the desert. It was deemed as heretical nonsense so people were killed for voicing their opinions on the matter even scholars deny its existence. However this true Eden people say bore fruits of power, of knowledge, that would disrupt the balance of nature itself, the King of this Eden ate this fruit however when his people found out they killed him and his child was left in the dessert and this child then founded what we now have as the Kingdom of Eden.”

“We were never taught anything like that at home.” Chuu said in confusion.

“To say the first King of Eden had been kicked out for such a crime would be well a crime in Eden’s tales the King is the most pious of mankind doing anything to sacrifice for his people, telling people this would destroy the mirage the royal family has been building. Though I wouldn’t worry too much it is a tale after all.”

“So some parts are true.” Yeojin replied earning a wink from the Dr.

“You just have to figure out what it is.”

“So does the apple contain any powers?” Gowon asked looking at the apple curiously.

“I had tested the previous one the Queen gave me but nothing occurred.”

“So you haven’t done it on a person?” Yves asked causing the Dr to shake his head so with confident strides Yves picked up the apple.

“Yves wait what if something happens to you?” Chuu asked grabbing the girls arm.

“I think the Dr here wants something to happen.” Yves replied grinning over to the Dr who laughed.

“If the people are right this should be the root of knowledge?” Lip asked looking over to the Dr who nodded his head in appreciation.

“Correct this could be key to helping unravel Eden.”

“But…”

“This is going to be really embarrassing if nothing happens.” Yves said chuckling as Chuu punched her lightly. “Nothing’s going to happen.” Yves said looking at Chuu sincerely pecking her forehead easing the girl and with that she couldn't bite down her curiosity any further so she bit down into the apple willing for the knowledge behind the fruit.

“Yves are you okay?” Chuu asked placing a hand on the girls face the guard had been in a daze for a few moments, but as she snapped out of the trance the apple slipped out of her fingers disintegrating in to sand before the group.

“I’m guessing you took whatever was held in the fruit.” Lip suggested as the group looked at the sand.

“It was weird it was a vision and it felt like I was there actually living it all thoughts of the king were my thoughts.”

“The King?” Dr Alucard asked.

“The King of the true Eden it actually existed.” Yves replied thumbing through the sand trying to make sense of what she had seen. “The people of True Eden were immortal they lived till 150 and they would then euthanize themselves to avoid overpopulation, the King at the time was curious so he ventured out to different lands helping the humans kill beasts but he had magic so he was able to control the beasts. He played it off like he was so strong but he was able to see how weak humans truly were only living till they were 50. So when he was at True Eden the apple spoke to him offering him knowledge to help the vulnerable and so he bit in to it. He awoke from his vision of utopia and heard screams of his own people dying contracting disease all because he bit in to the apple taking away the source of their immortality whilst he was destined to watch their fall.”

“This can’t be true though it goes against all of our teachings.” Chuu said looking at the sand scandalized by Yves words.

“Unless you know better than a vision telling apple it’s the best source of information we have.” Olivia Hye said.

“It’s a lot to swallow at once." Jinsoul said looking over at Chuu sympathetically. "Ponder on it and we’ll reconvene later, thank you Dr your help has been instrumental.” Jinsoul said earning a tip of the head from the Dr.

“It’s quite alright if you need me further I shall be in the guards barracks.” The Dr bowed and left.

“I should go and speak to the chief as well he was looking for me.” Jinsoul said getting out of her seat however a hand on her shoulder stopped any movement.

“It’ okay he was just looking for these documents I’ll pass them on you should get some rest.” Choerry said picking up the parchment off the table ignoring the Queen's protests.

“But…”

“She’s right, get some rest we’ll go with Choerry.” Gowon said sternly causing Jinsoul to sigh.

“But I also ha-“

“The nobles? Don’t worry about them we can talk to them.” Chuu said looping her arm through her disgruntled guard.

“More like fend them off.” Yves muttered earning a chuckle from Jinsoul who nodded her head dismissing the group, Lip stood there letting everyone pass her by whilst Jinsoul looked down at the parchments before her, her shoulders sagging forward as the door closed behind them.

“Choerry told you to relax not hunch over your desk.” Lip said snapping the Queen from her tasks.

“You’re still here?” Jinsoul said in surprise her voice getting higher as she saw nobody around them she’s really out of it Lip thought watching the girl trying to supress a yawn.

“Relax I’m not gonna bite off your head.” Lip said opening the door. “Come on you need a break.” Not finding it in her to refuse the hunter the Queen diligently followed the young hunter as they made their way through the castle in silence, a comfortable silence Jinsoul found as they stopped in front of her door.

“Come in.” Jinsoul beckoned the girl as she opened the door, the room was much larger than the one Lip and Yeojin shared and that was saying something Lip thought as she saw the family portrait hung above the bed a scowl taking over the hunters features. “They would have known what to do.” Jinsoul spoke standing beside the hunter.

“You shouldn’t compare yourself to people like them.”

“They’ve seen more wars than I’ve ever dreamed of they could have advised me.” Jinsoul said a dry chuckle escaping her lips as she looked upon the portrait with a mix of sadness and fondness even if her parent’s never truly acknowledged her they would have had a plan that their advisors and the nobles would agree on, right now both parties were slipping from her fingers.

“You don’t have to follow anybody.” Lip argued turning to face the girl. “You’re your own person Jinsoul you’re a Queen you can do what you like.”

“I can’t though there are traditions in place I can’t break.”

“Like what locking yourself in a castle till your married these traditions don’t mean anything.”

“Then what do you expect me to do walk out of the Kingdom and start fighting the next monster I see I’m not you Lip I can’t do that I have duties I have responsibilities.”

“Your duties have shirked people’s beliefs in you where they once flocked to you so quickly they admonish you just as hard.”

“Don’t you think I know that!?” Jinsoul exclaimed her laid back attitude disappearing with the silence that stretched between them her eyes wild as she stared at the hunter all insecurities she had once been facing alone battling before Lip on the Queen’s face. “Don’t you think I know my people think I can’t protect them, that the nobles are questioning my leadership so they’re planning a rebellion on top of that we’re fighting against a power we didn’t even know existed so tell me Kim Jungeun what am I supposed to do?” Jinsoul heaved clutching her dress eyes downcast unable to meet the eyes of her parents, Lip stood there allowing the silence to stretch she had known the Queen was under pressure but she had hoped the nobles would see reason and help support the burden.

“I…I’m not sure.” Lip mumbled watching the tears leak from Jinsoul’s eyes for once being rendered silent as the Queen heaved trying to contain her emotions.

“They think I’ve gone mad, to avoid a rebellion they want me to marry the man my father was arranging for me to marry in the first place if he’s here he can lead the army to fight.” Jinsoul spoke voice quite as the words sunk through Lip. “I’m useless to them I can’t do anything.” Jinsoul whispered her legs giving out on her as she fell to the floor sobs wracking her chest. The Queen was gone and before her was the true Jinsoul the one who was breaking right before her, responsibilities weighing her down like a boat on ice, she shouldn’t be here in this role, not yet, she was underdeveloped for it she was supposed to have more time on the ice there wasn’t meant to be a boat on the ice cracking her very foundations, nothing was making sense.

“Hey, hey you’re not useless.” Lip said getting on her knees before Jinsoul.

“But I am they’re right I can’t fight for my kingdom, I can’t fight for my friends, I can’t even fight for myself.” Jinsoul cried hugging her knees to her chest. “ I tried to get rid of my advisors Olivia Hye and Gowon even helped me find suitable replacements, I got them on my board but now I’ve been told my old advisors are planning a coup others are saying they’re going to decimate the Jung name.”

“I don’t know how to play the politics game but I think if you get beaten once you have to get back up just like everything else in life, you’re going to fail not once, twice but countless times but it’s important that you get back up and fight for what you believe in.”

“But I can’t how many times have we done this conversation but nothings changed.” Jinsoul cried looking to the hunter desperately looking for something to cling on to.

“Don’t focus on the can’t because you can, you’re brave Jung Jinsoul and so God damned good that I need to see you thrive.” Lip said inching closer to the teary faced girl. “You’ve done so much don't forget that change needs time, you've got new advisors they share your vision of a peaceful Avent lean on them and they’re expertise your old advisors can be dealt with don’t worry about them Olivia Hye and Gowon can sniff them out, and these attacks I’ll stop them.” Lip said ghosting a hand over Jinsoul’s cheek. “I’ll stop them, I promise you this Jung Jinsoul no matter what it costs I’ll save the lands for you.” And with that Kim Lip knew she could never run from Jinsoul she made a promise one she could never break, looking in to the deep browns of the girl’s eyes she found she couldn’t care about the gravity of the promise. For now she was content to look at the girl who stopped crying, her eyes conveying a gratefulness couldn’t express, the boat had gone the cracks were still there but she had someone by her side someone who had promised her the world without anything in exchange, though unknowingly the hunter had taken more from the Queen than either had bargained for.

Kim Lip sat in her room looking over the amulets she had taken out all five had the same design of a serpent Dr Alucard had no idea as to what it could mean he didn’t know where any of the men that entered his clinic went, so she sat lamenting over them. She needed something to go on Yves had eaten from the roots of knowledge from the Dr’ words she should have seen something questioning the current King’s disposition as King…magic was the only conclusion Lip could draw. Standing up in a hurry the girl made her way to the hospital where Yves and Chuu were busy talking to Yeojin who was animatedly talking to them about the shoes Choerry had gifted her.

“You should have seen Lip she was so jealous.”

“Ahem.” Lip cleared earning wide eyes from the story teller who sheepishly put the shoes down.

“The frog I was talking about my frog.” Yeojin said causing Yves to laugh as the younger girl showed her frog that was giving Lip nightmares every time she looked at it, she knows Vivi is extremely kind to her wife but she wished she told Haseul how ugly the knitting was so they could have bought one or let Haseul knit a new one.

“Chuu has anyone ever questioned the royal lineage?” Lip asked turning to face away from the frog of her nightmares.

“What do you mean?” Chuu asked still laughing at the frog.

“Dr Alucard had mentioned how the people in the desert would say that the King wasn’t the true descendant of the first King.”

“Nobody’s ever questioned the lineage.” Chuu replied turning to face Lip.

“Even though nobody in Eden can do magic when that’s what the rulers were known for.”

“The first King’s magic is a debated topic among scholars but when the King and Queen died during the first war against the beasts, their son was born and gifted with magic but the scholars decided to keep it a secret it wasn’t the first time a royal family member didn’t have magic it just made it seem like the end of magic was inevitable.” Chuu replied.

“What if this scholar that went missing, he’s convinced the King isn’t the true King?”

“But he knows the King can do magic.” Yves said questioning the girl’s theory hoping she wasn’t grasping at straws because she needed something to put forward.

“But he couldn’t control people with it like the first King could, the first King could control beasts wouldn’t that be harder than people without magic?” Lip asked wide eyed as if they could be on the crusp of something, looking over to Chuu for some reassurance the girl pondered on the theory.

“I’m not sure but from what I’ve read beasts are different from humans to control them we would need to have a firmer grasp on them we’d need to understand them like we understand humans.”

“What are you thinking?” Yves asked.

“It sounds weird I know but what if the scholar is on a quest searching for the true King of Eden, he ran in to the desert found the tree and saw the vision you saw, the King said his knowledge of the tree was stunted but what if it was because he wasn’t drawn to that tree. You felt a pull to the apple that’s why you had it, what if he feels this is the true tree because he feels a pull and he’s looking to relinquish the lost kingdom.”

“He’s doing a piss poor job building a Kingdom we nearly died getting there.” Yves said making the group laugh.

“It’s a theory but it’s clear he’s not the only one.” Lip said showing the serpent amulets.

“We should go to Eden and see if father or the scholars can tell us anything.”

“If that fails we can go to the tree again and see if we can scout further.” Yves said.

“You’ll need to guard Chuu.”

“Father won’t do anything to me Yves will be able to help you better.”

“My feet are batter so I can join as well.” Yeojin said picking up her shoes. “I’m well prepared.”

“Okay I’ll tell the Queen we’re setting out tomorrow.” Kim Lip said leaving the room feeling euphoric at least she could do something productive instead of staring down some amulets, walking towards the Queen’s study last night’s talk began to invade her mind, they hadn’t spoken since but she hoped she wouldn’t be too awkward with Jinsoul. She had made a promise she wasn’t sure how to accomplish after witnessing the girl breaking down, she needed reassurance and Lip was the only one who could give it at that time. But did she do the right thing? What if she couldn’t solve the girls problems? Since when did she care so much about the Queen’s feelings? Lip thought standing outside of the study door her thoughts confused as she attempted to answer the question. It didn’t make sense it shouldn’t make sense but at the same time it just felt, natural.

“Come in.” Unknowingly the hunter had already knocked on the door taking a deep breath she entered. “Kim Lip how are you?” Jinsoul beamed her smile bigger than she could ever recall seeing, not that she remembers the Queen’s smiles and how light they make her feel, no that definitely wasn’t the case.

“Not bad what about you?” Lip asked looking at all the crumpled parchments littered around the room.

“I have a few plans after yesterday.” Jinsoul said a light red tinting her cheeks shoulder hunching up slightly as Lip went around picking up the mess.

“Whilst I’m glad you’re doing better you shouldn’t sit yourself in a mess.” Lip chided throwing the papers in the bin her cleanliness instincts coming out.

“I didn’t expect you to be so clean for a hunter.”

“I didn’t expect you to be so dirty for a Queen.” Lip countered causing said girl to giggle sheepishly.

“I’m guessing you didn’t come here to pick up my mess.” Jinsoul said looking over to the hunter who now took a seat, nodding her head Lip launched in to her theory telling the Queen that she would be leaving with the group tomorrow.

“I’m not certain about anything but it’ the only plan I can think of right now.”

“Will Yeojin be okay to travel?” Jinsoul asked worriedly for the youngers safety.

“She should be fine between Dr Alucards remedies and Chuu’s magic it seems like her feet have fully healed.”

“Make sure to keep an eye on her though.” Jinsoul ordered earning a nod from the hunter.

“I’ll let you get back to work.” Lip said standing up making her way over to the door.

“Wait er I just wanted to say thank you.” Jinsoul said cheeks reddening as Lip turned to look at her eyebrows raised. “For yesterday you didn’t have to do any of that and I shouldn’t have been like that in the first place I’m sorry.”

“No need to say sorry, you’re a human before a Queen I’m just glad I was able to help.” Lip smiled to the Queen opening the door. “I meant what I said though.” And with red cheeks Lip left the room missing the look of surprise on the Queen her heart swelling with untold feelings, the hunter was always good at surprising her.

Kim Lip and Chuu sat before the King of Eden a tense silence settling over them as the hunter glared at the man before her who was preoccupied staring at his daughter hoping for some sort of contact with her. Chuu had said their relationship was broken but seeing it firsthand it was still shocking to see how the once close knit family had been unravelled. Though Lip couldn’t feel sympathy for the man as she tried to calm her tapping foot, it was his own fault for everything that had happened and here she sat a victim to his greed trying to stay strong.

“What can I help you girls with?” The King asked.

“We have questions regarding Eden.” Chuu replied steadily.

“You’ve learnt everything about Eden in your studies.”

“You promised to be honest so please father be honest, the first King of Eden was powerful so powerful he was able to control the beasts I know you said before you aren't able to control people but did you ever make a breakthrough in your studies?”

“No, our magic has significantly weakened since the Great Kings time, every time we bond with someone without magic our powers weaken. In our research we found humans were meant to be easier to control however…” The King trailed glancing over at the hunter. “…Our magic isn’t where it once was.”

“What about the tree does it have any magic?” Lip asked.

“A small amount of magic that nutures the trees to grow the shelter that protects Eden from the beating sun." The King replied giving the hunter some new information.

“The first King do you know anything about him?”

“Apart from what’s written in the legends and what I’ve told you there’s nothing else to say except he was the most powerful of us all when he died it was a sad day for Eden.”

“How did he die? It couldn’t have been a natural death like you all said.” Chuu asked her mind racing as she turned to look at a questioning Kim Lip.

“What makes you say that?” The King asks carefully.

“From all the things that have been covered up are you really surprised we could have guessed that, remember you’re helping the Queen of Avent we need the truth.” Lip said on behalf of Chuu knowing the girl was a terrible liar especially when it came to her father, she wore her heart on her sleeve something that would have chewed her out if Eden was like the other kingdoms with nobles having such a big say in the Kingdom’s affairs.

“If you say so.” The King muttered looking at his daughter questioningly. “The great King he…. He went on a journey one day he told his scholars he would not return from it so they should perform his last rites.”

“Where did he go?”

“He walked away in to the desert one day and never turned back half a year later the scholars decided he could never have survived the desert for so long regardless how strong he was so they told everyone he passed on naturally.” The King explained.

“Is that all?” Lip asked.

“Yes I know nothing more.” The King said seemingly looking drained every time he conversed with his daughter.

“We should go then thank you for your time.” Chuu said walking out of the room ignoring the glance of her father once they were outside they bumped in to Yves and Yeojin ushering the group in to her bedroom Chuu shut the door behind them retelling what the King had told them.

“Do you think he could still be alive?” Yeojin asked looking over to Yves.

“His people’s immortality was taken but it was vague when it came to the King he was simply destined to see his people fall I don’t know why he’d be in hiding for so long if he was alive.”

“What about you guys did you find anything regarding the amulets?”

“A scholar had requested a large batch of them a few years ago when we went to find out more about the scholar we learnt he passed away from a heart attack he was a quiet man he didn’t make much conversation he was adamant about the hole in the amulet but that’s all the merchant had to say.” Yves replied showing the hole the scholar had been so adamant in adding. “We also asked about the first scholar who left they said his knowledge on magic was among the best he understood the intricacies better than anyone else, whilst his magical knowledge was great his theories on Eden began bordering on blasphemous ranging from the Great King making a deal with the tree essentially trading his life to the tree so he could be protecting Eden. To the Great King was upset with the way Eden treated life so he was awaiting the day to strike down on the land he created.”

“So in one he’s painted the King as Eden’s greatest protector and the other he believes the Great King was a villain.” Chuu summarised, “those are two very different theories to have.”

“Different enough to go to the desert and investigate.” Yeojin supplied earning a nod from Lip.

“Let’s pick up some supplies from the kitchen then we’ll head out.” Yves said.

The trio trudged through the desert for a second time the sand whipping their faces causing them to shield themselves as best as they could, it seemed they had entered during a windy time much to the chagrin of the three girls who just wanted to scout praying that they would find something, anything to help them, help the people…. help Jinsoul Lip thought looking down at her hands, she made a promise to the girl and she couldn’t fail, no if she failed Jinsoul would be thrown in to a life she didn’t want to live.

“It’s easier travelling a second time.” Yves said breaking Lip’s thoughts as the guard took a sip from her water skin the cool liquid refreshing her parched throat as they crossed the invisible barrier the wind stopping allowing them a moment to refresh.

“At least you two aren’t fighting this time.” Yeojin muttered causing the two old friends to look at one another a chuckle escaping their lips.

“She’s lucky I wasn’t serious about it.” Lip said.

“Probably because you were too busy thinking about Jinsoul.” Yves said causing the hunter to gasp. “You were probably thinking about her right now”

“Jinsoul has nothing to do with this.” Lip argued stomping in front of the grinning duo.

“Jinsoul?” Yeojin asked skipping up to the hunter eyebrow raised lips in a grin that Lip really didn’t like. “Not the Queen of Avent when did you get so informal?” The hunters face went red as she tried to stutter a response.

“Don’t forget how you even escorted her to her chambers my, my Kim Lip I thought you didn’t like royalty.” Yves words caused the girl to curse she really shouldn’t like the Queen, she shouldn’t be so, so….she couldn’t even find the words to describe what she was feeling and that infuriated her. What was she feeling? She couldn’t even tell herself the feeling leaving her confused.

“All I know is we’re fighting against something none of us know anything about that’s targeting her people so I'm just doing what I normally would.”

"Normally would? It's not good to lie Lippie." Yeojin teased the older girl.

“We’ll get back to you later you need a lecture from all of us.” Yves said walking away from an annoyed hunter instead the guard picked up another amulet at the trunk of the tree. “Someone came here.”

“But why leave an amulet?” Yeojin questioned as she looked around hoping to find something.

“They’re the same amulets we picked up last time.” Lip eyes taking it in her hand.

“Hey guys is the tree shedding?” Yeojin asked causing the two to look at the girl in confusion as they rounded the tree. “There’s just a lot of tree on the sand.” She explained pointing at her feet where indeed a lot of tree bark lay.

“Wait that doesn’t make sense.” Lip mumbled looking around the tree to see if it was indeed shedding however it seemed completely intact.

“Guys.” Yves called putting the amulet in the air looking at it the two saw the gap in the middle was filled, filled with the bark on the sand. “Each piece of bark fits in an amulet.”

“We need to know more about the bark.” Yeojin said earning a nod from the two.

“Hold on to it lets scout further ahead and see if there’s anything else.” With that the trio ventured further in to the desert however they found nothing of substance it truly seemed the only life in the desert was the tree, and with a word of warning from Yves about their rations the group turned back coming back with more amulets and tree bark something Kim Lip wasn’t sure she should laugh or scream about.

“You’re back.” Chuu said gleefully leaping on to Yves.

“Are you okay?” Yves asked wrapping her arms around the giddy girl.

“I’m great father’s been trying to make amends by giving me material to read about the magic used but nothing much has happened have you learnt anything new?” Chuu asked leading the group to the library where her books lay sprawled around.

“We found bark.” Yeojin said excitedly placing it on the table giving the two others a feeling that they found something of interest even if it was something they hadn’t thought of, no, the group had thought they’d face a fight or blood and bodies maybe even an encampment but it was spotless and vast just like a desert should be.

“Bark?” Chuu questioned picking up a piece.

“It looks like the bark can fit in to the amulets we picked up.” Yeojin explained showing Chuu an amulet that still had a piece of bark in it, it wasn't much but it was new maybe useless. Though judging from the crease in Chuu’s brow the group had indeed found something of interest to the Princess of Eden as she held the amulet hand ghosting over the bark a light crackle coming from the bark as her eyes closed.

“Erm Chuu is everything okay?” Yves asked placing a hand on the girls shoulder.

“The bark is from Eden’s tree.” Chuu replied opening her eyes and seeing a peach hue around the amulet. “There’s still magic in the bark.”

“Do any of the other pieces have magic in them?” Yeojin asked eyeing the wood on the table.

“No I don’t know what’s happened to them but they seem…drained.”

“Drained?” Lip asked picking up a piece of wood it surely looked weathered, dried even but that was to be expected in a desert if it wasn’t on the tree that was somehow magically living in a desert it wouldn’t get is nutrients and so it would be beaten like this.

“As if the life of the tree has been out, wait…” Chu stopped walking over to her books hastily flipping through them. “Look.” She started turning the book to show the trio who were faced with a diagram of the tree of Eden. “The tree is here because of magic where the magic comes from I can only guess the first King who founded this place could have done such a thing, you’d need a great amount of magic to do this. Each inch of wood on the tree has a manifestation of the first King’s magic, the strongest, purest magic to have existed if we chip away at the tree we take a piece of the magic with us ultimately leading to the tree dying and thus the Kingdom of Eden would perish without the shelter of the tree.” Chuu explained looking at the wood worriedly.

“We need to take a look at the tree.” Lip stated earning a nod from the others leading the group Chuu rushed them through the castle her heart racing as she hoped against the truth she knew.

“Wow.” Yoejin mumbled as they closed in on the tree it was larger than she had imagined.

“I don’t see anything wrong with it.” Chuu said circling the tree trunk.

“It won’t be in an obvious place or else someone would have reported it can you do your magic and see if there’s a part of the tree that’s weaker?” Yves suggested earning a squeal from Chuu.

“Of course sorry my minds a bit frazzled.” Chuu said closing her eyes once again though this time she felt a pair of hands on her shoulders.

"Hey it's okay a lot's happening right now you don't need to apologise okay." Yves said squeezing the girls shoulders hoping to ease some of the thoughts racing through her mind. "We'll work through it together."

"Yeah we'll get to the bottom of it and get you some answers." Yeojin cheered waving her dagger causing Chuu to laugh at the younger girls antics as Kim Lip told her off for waving around weapons.

"Thank you." Chuu whispered closing her eyes as she allowed the presence of her friends to calm her as she allowed her magic to connect to the tree a peach hue beginning to tinge the tree from the bottom to the top except for.

“The left branch.” Yeojin pointed at the branch if you squinted hard enough you could the chips in the branch.

“Quite a bit of the branch has been taken.” Chuu supplied as she let her magic fizzle out. “Not enough to seriously damage the tree but enough to cause a dent in the flow of magic.”

“Only scholars and the royal family come to the tree so who could have taken it?” Lip asked.

“The scholar who ordered the amulets.” Yeojin suggested.

“I don’t even know how a scholar would have climbed a tree?” Yves said looking up at the size of the tree. “He’d need help.”

“It’s not like someone could have given him a boost to get up that high even a ladder wouldn’t be tall enough to get there.” Lip said.

“Chuu may I ask what you and your friends are doing here it’s almost time for midday prayers.” The King asked interrupting the groups brainstorming.

“Father of course sorry we were just erm..” The group looked to one another before glancing to the amulets with a grimace Kim Lip nodded her head in acceptance leaving Chuu to launch in to the tale of the amulets and the tree, as much as the hunter would have preferred to have kept things secret he is one of the few people who know as much as they do. Looking at the quirk in his eyebrow as he examined the amulets Lip couldn’t help but share a look with Yves he knew more they thought and from the way he looked at his daughter who began to distance himself from him, he would try to rectify the relationship he broke.

“Please be honest father there are kingdoms lives on the line we must save everyone.”

“You can’t save everyone Chuu that’s the price of war.” The King said passing the amulet over. “I don’t know anything about the amulets however the tree bark I was the one to take it off.”

“Why would you do that? The tree is our lifeblood.”

“I…I thought I could use the bark of the tree to enhance my magic therefore controlling an army like the first King however it never came to fruition so I had locked the bark away.”

“How was a scholar able to steal it?”

“The bark was free for my closest scholars to experiment on if they so desired – oh Chuu don’t look so displeased it was never my intention to harm the tree it seemed a waste to leave the bark so a sacrifice had to be made in the name of knowledge.”

“Is that all you know?”

“Yes I’m afraid I can’t help you further.”

"You said that last time but here we are again with you telling us new information." Chuu said in dissappointment looking at the King.

"I...I didn't think it was important - but I miss you Chuu so if you have any questions please come to me I worry for you."

“What about the scholar who ordered the amulets he was one of your closest scholars you’d surely know something about him?” Yeojin questioned leaving Chuu alone with her thoughts as she shrunk in ot her guards shadow.

“He was likeminded and was always furthering Eden’s knowledge often trying to fill in the gaps of knowledge left regarding magic, it was a pity when he had passed, an orphan that the scholars took in he passed away from a heart attack in the library surrounded by what he loved most above all, knowledge. Unfortunately little else I can tell you anything regarding his works is in the library though you’re reading the majority of his work. Ah it seems midday prayers are beginning now you’re free to stay for them otherwise you’re free to continue your research.”

The group stayed behind for the prayers each thinking on what they had learned as Chuu went around greeting all of the scholars putting on the face of a happy Princess as she stuck by her Father playing the role of the happy family.

“What do we do now?” Yeojin asked looking over to the pair who watched Chuu carefully her practised demeanour of a Princess in full view but they couldn’t lie and say the princess didn’t enjoy her role, no, the girl excelled in meeting people, talking to people and generally getting people to like her.

“There has to be some sort of link between the amulet, the bark and the tree.” Yves replied keeping her eyes on the Princess. “Chuu’s our key.”