Final

Himalayas [one-shot]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2024: Himalayan summit path

My breath is panting with the climbing terrain that is very challenging from what I've been through before. I could feel the heat in my muscles, but the cold struck at the same time. 2 thick parachute jackets, 2 thick jackets, hot packs and my clothes still can't hold the cold that sneak in.

The day looks sunny, but my porter said, we all must not be careless. The unpredictable extreme weather of the Himalayas will at times endanger our group. I continued to move forward following the predetermined path, the carrier on my back, the stick in my hand, and the boots that covered my feet from the cold snow.

Instantly, I remembered you. Someone from the past and will remain as a part of my future.

___________

2014: Korea - Indonesia

"Hey~", I greeted you from the laptop screen. We promise to greet each other via skype when we're far away from each other like this. I saw you complete with your nightgown, smiling warmly at the camera.

"Hey, how is Indonesia?", you asked, knowing my current position was 2 hours ahead from Korea. I was exploring Indonesia, to climb the mountain peaks for 6 months. This is my 4th month of climbing Kerinci, Semeru, Rinjani, and Sanggar. I still have one more goal, namely Puncak Jaya.

"Fun! Yes, although the internet here is not as fast as in Korea. I was a little overwhelmed when I emailed you. Oh! Have you opened your email? I sent you some photos I took when I was at the top!", I said excitedly. Of course, my happy face lit up it makes you smile warmly. That warm smile on your pale skin.

"It's... looks fun huh… so when it's over, are you coming home?" You asked in a voice of worry and longing. My happy smile faded slightly and stared at my laptop screen sadly.

"After Puncak Jaya. I will go home, but before that, I have to train my physique, Rene. To be able to conquer the highest peak of Indonesia ...", I replied. You have always understood my ambitions about climbing and expeditions. My job as a nature and wildlife photographer definitely keeps me going.

"When...?", you said sadly. You always look gloomy every time I go on a hike. I also tried to cheer you up of course.

"2 more months, Rene... I will be back home. I'll definitely be going home and I have to go home ..", I said while giving a smile that looks a little bitter. I don't like this sad atmosphere.

"I keep your promise okay...", you said while holding back tears.

"Rene..."

"Hmmm?"

"How is your condition?"

"Still the same.. not good and not bad.."

"The treatment?"

"It was okay..? not as bad as you think, dear...", you said with a smile while stating that everything will be fine.

How can I not worry? More precisely, we are a couple who worry for each other. Me with all my peaks and you with all your medications. We met at the lowest point at that time. I was barely able to reach the peak again due to a severe injury and you who had just been diagnosed with blood cancer and were undergoing chemotherapy. As we meet more and more frequently and it's come to this point, it's been 2 years, where we tied ourselves to each other, to become lovers.

I ended the flashback I had about our life journey and how we met. But for the sake of God and the entire universe, I have never regretted it. Meeting someone as beautiful as you.

"Rene.."

"Hmm?"

"Let's watch a movie?"

"Huh? How? can we?"

"Surely we can... do you remember the hard drive I gave you before I went to Indonesia?" I asked and of course, you answered with a nod. I see you move away from the camera and then come back with the stuff that I mean.

"This one?"

"Ah, that's right. We're watching 'Her' okay? I've put the file in that Harddisk ..", I said.

"But how, Seulgi ...", you asked while still surprised, of course, I just replied with a grin.

"We open the file. Use a headset. We play it at the same time, every 30 minutes we make sure that we watch the same scene, how about it?"

"How come it's so complicated..?", you whined which of course made me miss you even more.

"Hehehe… do you want this?", I asked, chuckling.

"Yeah, I don't mind.. let's go!"

After 2 hours and 6 minutes, we were glued to the film entitled 'Her'. The film tells the story of a man who fills his void and then meets artificial intelligence and falls in love with her. An interesting film with a very very 'unnatural' flavour of romance. I saw you cry several times in certain scenes in the film. 

"Sorry, honey.. is the film sad?", I asked, seeing you wipe tears.

"Yeah, You know... when Theodore told Sam that they didn't have a song and Sam wrote down the piano melody. It was romantic...", you said discussing the movie we just watched. I just smiled hearing your monologue that discussed the film.

"Babe..", your call interrupted my thoughts of your beautiful face.

"Hmm?"

"One day, is there any chance there will be artificial intelligence like that?" You asked, opening a discussion session that we always do every time.

"Hmmm maybe.. the times are growing right, and all things can happen... Why? What do you think?"

"Is there any chance, if people who no longer exist made like Sam? So the person who left behind can still talk with someone who already passed away..", you said making me furrow my brows. What do you mean by this word?

"Rene.. honey.. what do you mean?", I asked worriedly.

"Seul... I... I don't know what one day I will--", I cut you off.

"Honey… you'll be fine. Trust me, okay..?", I said trying to reassure you who looked down.

Silence surrounds us. I wish if I was in the same place as you, I would definitely hug and help you to forget your anxiety. But with the distance between us, It's only words that I can say... but I don't know if words will be enough.

"Rene.. honey.. try to imagine for a moment, okay.. 10 years of your life. My life. our life", I said breaking the silence.

"I can't imagine it, Seulgi… not when I'm like this ..", you said more and more sadly. Honestly, I was panicking. I just want to cancel my expedition to the top of Puncak Jaya and fly to Korea right now. I can't see you like this.. but my contract can't be cancelled. Of course, I'm worried right now.

"Rene.. honey... I can imagine it. I can imagine that I am there with you, filling your days and accompanying our countless days together. I will be the last one for you. We will be in… hmmm which country do you want to live in, honey?", I asked to help you knit our 10 years futures.

"Switzerland..." you answered now with a slight smile.

"Ah! Yes, Switzerland! We will live and settle down there, close to the Alps. Good fresh air for our ageing bodies. With Seulgi or little Irene or maybe both. Oh, or twins, honey! Twin versions of me or you must look adorable. Can you imagine, honey?", I asked you at the end of my monologue. You smiled sweetly and nodded in agreement.

"I can imagine, honey.. you and I will be happy in the future", you said with a smile.

"Rene. That's my promise to you. As a reminder of that promise. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter