Drive Safe

Memoir of the Human Emotion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minjeong finds it hard to fulfill Jimin's request to stay friends

Songs:

Rich Brain - Drive Safe

Gia Ford - TURBO DREAMS

 

 

 

Minjeong didn’t understand it.

 

Didn’t understand why people remained friends with their ex after they’ve broken up, wasn’t it better to just permanently disassociate yourself from them?

 

That’s what she would always do with her exs, just ignore them like they weren’t a big part of her life before, but that was before Jimin.

 

Jimin who waited for her outside of  her class, Jimin who gives her back hugs, Jimin who used to have a spare key to her studio by the uni, Jimin who asked her to remain her friends after they were over

 

.

 

It was on a rainy day, right in front of Jimin’s place, where Minjeong decided to talk. The talk, on a rainy day, how cliché right? 

 

Minjeong would wonder why couples would always break up in the rain whenever she was forced to watch an angsty romance, but she gets it now though because it just felt like the right time. Or maybe she made a mistake and the weather swayed her to make the decision. 


 

“Jimin-ah” Minjeong whispered, but Jimin heard it. The taller girl knew that the girl had just come from her classes, and she noticed that she wasn’t carrying her umbrella. During that short time frame when only the raindrops surrounding them and the ones hitting Jimin’s large umbrella were heard, Minjeong started to doubt herself.

 

To doubt that maybe, just maybe, she still had the energy to continue the relationship because honestly, she was tired. She also knew that she was the one that isn’t holding her part in the relationship. It sounds unfair really, that she was the one who was pushing them apart, yet she’s the one that wants to let go.

 

That’s why she knew that Jimin deserved better. She deserves to know that she’s worth more than Minjeong, worth more than a shift at work, or a missed call. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Jimin runs to her, making sure that her umbrella fits both of them. Minjeong couldn’t bear to look into the girl’s eyes. “ Why are you here without an umbrella?”

 

“I-”

 

“Wait, why don’t we go inside first? You’re going to catch a cold Minjeongie”

 

Don’t call me that, gosh please don’t call me that Minjeong thought.

 

She also couldn’t accept Jimin’s hospitality because it would just make it all harder for her to get out the words that have been rotting her brain. 

 

“No, Jimin. I-I need to say it here right now, I have to go after '' Jimin just frowns at her but remains standing outside with her, meaning that she’s willing to hear her out in the rain. 

 

“Alright… well?” 

 

“J-Jimin…” Minjeong whispers, searching through the girl’s worrisome eyes for a hint of hate towards her. She’d honestly want the girl to hate her after just to make it easier… for the both of them. “I can't- I can’t anymore, I’m so sorry Jimin. I’m so sorry, it’s just so unfair for you and I just can’t bear to see you have to wait. You deserve so much better than that, someone who gives you the same”

 

“What?” Jimin’s voice didn’t falter, it was just so confused and lost. She let Minjeong slump her head forward on her shoulder. 

 

“Please let me go. Please?”

 

Jimin’s frown deepens, her face on the border of disgust and disbelief.

 

“No, what are you saying Minjeong?”

 

“When I turn away, you’re going to go back in your place, delete all my contact, block me, tell everyone that I’m a ty person and that you broke up with me, and move on with your life”

 

Minjeong could see the anger in Jimin’s eyes, that she hates her. 

 

Good, it was better that way after all. Sighing, Minjeong was ready to turn around, go back in her car and cry while driving home. Instead, she was pulled closer into a hug, the umbrella above them suddenly on the floor. 

 

“I can’t do that Minjeongie” the shorter girl could hear the tremble in Jimin’s voice this time as she hears it in her ears. “Just tell me to give you another chance, I will. I’ll give you another chance, I’m willing to wait”

 

To wait.

 

No, that was asking for too much. She can’t do that to Jimin. Minjeong understands that she’s hurting Jimin right now, by telling her all of this. This right now was like a cold bucket of water for Jimin, but if she makes her wait… the girl would only drown.

 

“Jimin, please”

 

Minjeong pulls away, to find that Jimin was already crying. 

 

“Why…” the girl mumbles, sniffling her nose.

 

“Don’t you feel it? Doesn’t it hurt you Jimin? This relationship is only hurting you, I-I’m hurting you! Don’t you see that?”

 

“Friends” Jimin mumbles again.

 

“What?”

 

“Friends, please be my friend”

 

Ah, Minjeong didn’t expect this. Jimin was supposed to hate her, slap her in the face, and threaten her to never show her face around her ever again.

 

“Jimin…”

 

“Please. To pay for all the hurt you’ve caused. You feel guilty right? That’s why you’re here right now, so stay as my friend” Minjeong was baffled at how serious the girl sounded right now, but if this was Jimin’s final request in their relationship perhaps this could even be the only right thing she could do in this relationship. 

 

Because Jimin deserves to get everything she wants.

 

“Fine, alri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter