faire des galipettes (1)

Memoir of the Human Emotion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
galipette

[ɡalipɛt]

FEMININE NOUN

faire des galipettes (= roulades) to turn somersaults; 

(informal) (figurative) to fool around

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whispers, murmurs, and looks of adoration followed the student the moment she entered the halls of her bustling, high school. Boys, girls, and everyone in between greet her, commenting how pretty she was despite everyone wearing the same exact uniform. 

 

The senior? It was Karina Yu.

 

Karina with silky black hair, long legs, cat eyes, plump lips, and that damn alluring mole.

 

Attention and praises are what she fed off of, what honestly kept her from burning her school to ashes. Nevertheless, she was loved for her out-of-this-world face and body, students would even say she could make any model jobless. Not only was she pretty, but she was also smart and kind to everyone.

 

“One time, I heard from my cousin’s friend’s sister’s friend, that unnie saved a cat from a tree” 

 

“She donated a couple of thousands to supply third world countries school supplies”

 

“The ground she walked on, I heard, tastes like freshly baked cookies- not that I would know of course”

 

“Now listen to this, I know, that Karina Yu is the chosen one”

 

As crazy as some of the things Karina heard about her were, it made her happy that people liked her. With that, she enters her pre-calculus class happily.



 

Her seat in pre-calc was the perfect seat.

 

It had a clear view of the front board, view of the window, and it was close to the garbage bin. So, when she spots someone already in her seat, well more like sitting on the table, her mood sours. She couldn’t see which student dared take her seat since the person was facing the window, but she could already tell who it was because there were very few students who sported blonde hair.

 

Blonde hair, gorgeous side profile, long eyelashes, the milkiest legs (not that she was looking there or anything). Karina added everything together and concluded that it was, in fact, Winter Kim. Of course, it was, because to Karina, no other fool would disturb such a beautiful Friday morning. 

 

The fool still hasn’t noticed Karina’s presence, still preoccupied with watching the September breeze gently shake the trees, her legs crossed over the other and Karina taking note of how she modified her skirt to be shorter than it already was.

 

“Kim, get off of my table” she sternly demands, not in the mood to take on anyone's bull right now.

 

Winter finally turns her attention to the crossed girl in front of her.

 “I don’t see your name written on it, do you?” she retorts, looking the black-haired girl up and down with the type of judging gaze you would find in the antagonist of an American teen movie.

 

“I’ve been sitting there for the whole week since class started, so yes it’s technically mine”

 

Her eyebrows knit together at the sight of a smirk spread across Winter’s face because Winter smirking was never a good sign. A smile that gives off the "I know something you don't" attitude.

 

Karina backs away slightly when Winter hops off the table and strides to the whiteboard, and it’s clear now to Karina what’s happening. Their classmates were already starting to whisper, they too knew that Winter was the only person comparable to Karina, if anything they were like Edward vs Jacob or something.

 

“Well, clearly you haven’t heard yet, but your seat is now mine. Mr. Song’s seating plan, you see?” She points to Karina’s name on the board, her new seat was the one behind Winter’s.

 

“Seating plan?” Karina’s pouty lips make the blonde girl smile“Who does a seating plan in high school?”

 

A sigh escapes Winter’s mouth, followed by a small laugh. “So you’ve never had Mr. Song for pre-calc, huh?”

 

Their conversation was cut short when their teacher enters the room, triggering the students to shuffle to their new seats, including Karina. She begrudgingly falls to her seat behind the perfect seat. She couldn’t pay attention to what Mr. Song was saying the whole time because of the blonde girl in front of her in the sea of dark-haired students, spinning her pen expertly. 









 

Ever since she was young, Karina has always looked up to her older sister, Irene, it was one thing that she was kind but what intrigued her the most was the title she held at her high school. The student council president. It was one of Karina’s goals to achieve before graduating and it took her long years to gain the trust, respect, and adoration that she had now.

 

So of course when Taeyong, the last president, encouraged her to run for the position, she was determined to finally make one of her dreams come true. Everyone thought she was the most suitable person to fulfill the role, but someone had other plans.

 

During the last student council meeting from the last term, after Karina announced that she wanted to be president, Winter decided to challenge her. 

 

“I’m also interested in the position, Taeyong” Winter announced, arms crossed giving Karina a glance to find her gawking at her.

 

Taeyong, being oblivious to the other girl’s reaction beamed. 

 

“That’s great Winter! I’m proud of you for also stepping up! It's such a relief that we have such great members of the student council!”

 

The news didn’t register until Karina was laying in bed that night, processing the information. Karina has always thought Winter was a reckless person, doing what she wants, but she also knew the girl topped all of her classes. Topped all of her class without even trying, the kid was gifted.

 

While the two have been in student council together, as well as a couple of classes for years, they never got to know each other more than schoolmates. To Karina, she felt like their personalities would clash, so she never bothered entertaining the idea of friendship with Winter.

 

She has never also thought of the girl as a threat, even if she would get higher grades than she did, but this time it was different. Karina was against Winter and Winter was against Karina.






 

It’s the last class of the day, but Karina and Winter were both pulled out of their classes to discuss matters with the principal. Usually, Mr. Lee would be found in his office, but as they were dragged past the principal’s office and into the student council room, he was there instead.

 

“As you two girls know” starts Mr. Lee, “the election for the next president of the student council is next month, meaning, it would be best for both of you to start campaigning for votes”

 

Campaigning, Irene taught Karina all about it. She had to print flyers, socialize, convince people to vote for her. At first, she thought it was easy, but now knowing who she was up against, she’d like to think otherwise.

 

Winter was charming, and that in itself, could win her the position. 

 

Turning her attention back to the old man, Karina smiles “Of course, Mr. Lee”






 

After Mr. Lee left the office, it was just Karina and Winter left. All the other students were still in classes and neither wanted to return, so Karina took this opportunity to get to know her competitor.

 

Karina inches closer to Winter until she was against the empty student council president table, the very table they were fighting for. 

 

“Why did you do it, Kim?” she interrogates.

 

“Do what?” Winter asks innocently. 

 

Out of frustration, the dark-haired girl leans in, even more, supporting her weight with her hands that were flat on the table, trapping Winter between her.

 

“Oh for the sake of my sanity, you know what I’m talking about! Why did you decide to run? If it weren’t for you, I would’ve been president by default”

 

Winter wasn’t the slightest intimidated, she may have even looked like she was enjoying it because the next thing she did caused Karina’s brain to short circuit. 

 

The warm touch of Winter’s skin make contact as she s her arms around Karina’s neck made the girl’s breath hitch from their proximity. Their perfumes lingering and dancing together, mixing an intoxicatingly delicious smell. Both had such a clear view of each other’s features, that they would have been mistaken kissing if someone walked in.

 

“That wouldn’t be very fun, would it? It’s worth the shot and I didn’t want everything to come easy to you. You can’t have everything served on a silver platter, babe”

 

Karina’s senses came back to her, pulling away from Winter, she takes a step back with her arms crossed. She makes sure her long hair blocked the girl's sight of her reddening ears.

 

“Does this look like a game to you, Winter? Do you even have what it takes to hold such an important title?” It didn’t even seem like the blonde girl was taking all this seriously.

 

“Of course, I’ll have you know that I’ve been in the student council as long as you have” Winter retorts, finding it amusing that Karina thinks so lowly of her. “How about you? Do you have what it takes? You have such a flawless reputation to hold on to”

 

“I-I do have what it takes” Karina slaps herself mentally when she heard herself stutter, she knew this was one of Winter’s games, to sway her into doubting herself. 

 

“Well, I don’t think you can. I’d love to see you prove me wrong though, I’ll get going now. See you next week, Karina” she was about to leave when she turns around again, “Oh also get your head out of your , I’m not going easy on you just because you’re pretty. Bye again babe” with that, she blows a kiss to the scowling girl.






 

“Finally” Winter breathes out, joining Ning Ning after being in that suffocating room with Karina.

 

“What did he call you for?” her best friend asked, tightening her hold on her purse as they passed staring students. Everyone attending their highschool was rich but Ning Ning is always paranoid that one day, one chaebol child's family would go bankrupt and they would snatch away her purse.

 

“Election this, campaign that, Karina this, president that, the usual” she answers. The two finally reach the exit and head to Winter’s shiny black Audi.

 

“Well, you did sign up for it” the blonde doesn’t say anything back “How are you even planning to do this”

 

Entering the driver’s seat, Winter smiles at Ning Ning “Sure, I’ll promote my campaign, but…”

 

“But..?”

 

“I’m going to infiltrate from the inside”

 

Ning Ning gives her a questioning look “From the inside?”

 

“From Karina’s most inner depth, I’m going to mess and screw with her a little bit”







 

The whole school knew Winter was hailed with the looks, brains, and charms. She knew it herself too and would take full advantage of it, she always has. Karina’s determination to take her down only fueled her desire to crush the girl using any means necessary. 

 

But right now, she wasn’t relying on one of her dirty tricks (which she is keeping for later), but a common tactic used by the many lying corrupt po

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter