Ch 12: In Progress

Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The blue tiles of the building make it significantly distinct from any other facility in the country. This makes it beautifully compatible with the picturesque Bugaksan Mountain nearby. The architecture of the building was almost identical to their family home and other villas the Kim’s currently owned.

 

 

Upon entering, people immediately took notice of her presence. It made her a bit uncomfortable as to why people had the urge to make that 90-degree bow while having those blatant panic attacks when she only greeted them, ‘Good morning.’

 

 

Now here she is sitting with the two influential men of the country, both she considered as family ever since she was little. The two men treated her like their own daughter, considering that none weren’t married yet as they were too committed to their professions.

 

 

She laughed, talked about business, the latest updates on trades, and even up to the result of the recent horse racing games in Melbourne. It was a typical lunch inside one of the elegant rooms in the Cheong Wa Dae building located in the Blue House compound.

 

 

“Taengoo-ya, I’ve told you before that Haneul’s position suited you more. This man right here keeps forgetting the dates of his cabinet meetings.”

 

 

“Is this your way of telling your best friend he’s getting old? It doesn’t get any better than that, Jaehyuk.”

 

 

The room currently held Korea’s influential men.

 

 

Kim Jaehyuk, the current president and Taeyeon’s uncle.

 

 

Park Haneul, the Prime Minister who’s her godfather.

 

 

And lastly, Kim Taeyeon, whom people expected to succeed any of the two men.

 

 

She laughs at her uncle’s remark. The man had been calling her that nickname since she was seven. “Samchons, both of you aren’t even that old.”

 

 

“Tell that to the man who almost forgot about our lunch date.”

 

 

“I told you I did not! I wouldn’t miss this day meeting my favorite niece.”

 

 

“Samchon, I’m your only niece. You don’t have much choice but to love me.”

 

 

"Ah, Taengoo. You always got me. As I've said, if you want to stop being Speaker, you can take Haneul's job."

 

 

“He is right. This job is tiring and needs someone from the younger generation. I’m only staying because you said you didn’t want to be PM.”

 

 

“Ha! So you admit being old!” Jaehyuk teases him.

 

 

The man had a gentle personality, considering how powerful he was. Taeyeon grew up priding horses with him, and he was pretty laid back. Along with Haneul, his best friend, they were the few people that the Kim’s family circle trusted.

 

 

“It’s a bit of a heavy job, Samchon. I’m afraid I can’t do well.”

 

 

“Nonsense! The people love you. Have you seen the response from Ulsan? You’re getting there, Taengoo.”

 

‘You’re doing so well, Taengoo. I wonder when you’ll be ready for this job?’ Jaehyuk silently thought.

 

 

He wanted Taeyeon to take over soon; with his declining health, he needed someone trustworthy. He offered it to Haneul, but the man said it would be best if Taeyeon replaced him. After all, she was smart enough to lead. He already talked with Taeyeon’s parents, his brother Jooho, told him that it would be best to let Taeyeon decide.

 

 

“Well, in that case, you just tell Jaehyuk or me if you need anything. I will make sure to teach you personally the ropes in here,” he drinks his coffee and continues, “Remember anything.”

 

 

“Yes, Samchon. I will not forget that.” Taeyeon gives the man a soft smile.

 

 

“By the way, I’ve seen the news. It seems like some news outlets have taken a liking to you.”

 

 

Taeyeon almost chokes on her coffee. It isn’t really much of news as it is only a cheap tabloid headline of her friendship with the world-renowned designer, Tiffany Young. Apparently, during the meet and greet at the Chicago Musical two weeks ago, they were seen together talking with Choi Sooyoung.

 

 

‘Inside Scoop: Kim Taeyeon Seen with Actress Choi Sooyoung and Famous Designer Tiffany Young’

 

 

‘Life Behind Politics: The Country’s Youngest Speaker Kim Taeyeon'

 

 

‘Spotted! Kim Taeyeon and Tiffany Young in Seoul Broadway. Are the Two Close Friends?’

 

 

‘The Hidden Truth About Kim Taeyeon and Tiffany Young’

 

 

And many more headlines similar to that.

 

 

Good thing that it isn’t found anywhere in the Korean Times. Just some news about her ‘close friendship with other socialites, which included Tiffany. She had read about some news information regarding her love life, just some speculations, but there wasn’t any proof about it. And if they do make headlines about her dating Tiffany, they could easily brush it off as two best friends hanging out together.

 

 

People would care less.

 

 

Give them good governance, provide jobs, lower taxes, attend social gatherings or public speaking events, do some free community services, and they’d immediately love you to the moon and back. No matter how manipulative this could be, Taeyeon would only result in doing these things if her relationship with Tiffany was leaked. 

 

 

Which she hopes does not happen since she loved her job too.

 

 

“Do you want me to pull some strings, Taengoo?”

 

 

“It’s fine, Samchon. They’re not going overboard so far. If they start harassing, then I shall issue a statement to warn the media.”

 

 

“Aera Noona told me to keep an eye on you as well, so don’t hesitate to ask for help, okay?” Haneul pats her back.

 

 

“You guys sound worse than Aboji,” she feels lighter, thankful for the comfort of two other father figures in her life. “But I will. I’ll work hard not to make any problems as well.”

 

 

“You’re young, Taeyeon. Enjoy life! What’s the point of being a Kim and having connections if you don’t maximize those? Don’t be like this old man here.” Haneul nods his head toward Jaehyuk, who jokingly punches him.

 

 

“Yah! And I used to call you ‘Hyung’?” he turns to look at his niece. “Listen Taeyeon, dear, we have your back, so learn to take it easy.”

 

 

The lunch goes well, and it is filled with laughter and other stories. She bids goodbye to the prime minister, who left first.

 

 

“I’ll be going now, Samchon. You should come to have dinner with us sometime.”

 

 

“I will. I’ll call your father when I have the time. Don’t forget what we’ve talked about, okay? Don’t feel too pressured, Taengoo.”

 

 

“Yes, Samchon. You take care of yourself, alright?”

 

 

He hugs the man and proceeds to the door. But just before she could step out of the room, he heard Jaehyuk say something that made her smile.

 

 

“Oh and Taengoo! If I ever come to dinner, make sure you bring her too! Your mom told me about it, and she seems to be a good woman!”

 

 

Taeyeon just shakes her head at the President’s remark.

 

 

Her parents were right.

 

 

She had privileges no other Korean could have.

 

 

__________________________________

 

 

“I have good news and bad news. Which one do you think you wanna hear first?”

 

 

“Good news.”

 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

 

“Yes. Now, shoot.”

 

 

A sigh.

 

 

“Kibum said they’re finishing the interior, and you can check it out soon. Another is I’ve recently got a call from Busan New Port that the vessel from Milan recently arrived. It will probably be delivered by the end of next week.”

 

 

“No, can do. It has to be this week. We’re behind some deadlines.” the woman doesn’t even look up from the dress she was threading.

 

 

“Okay, I’ll try to send a notice to deliver it at least in two days.”

 

 

Silence.

 

 

“And the bad news?”

 

 

“I … uh … this was supposed to be last month, but well … there’s a …. So I’m -”

 

 

“Taeyeon, you’re not really making any sense right now.” Tiffany looks at her and raises an eyebrow.

 

 

She sighs for the nth time. “I’ve been finding a perfect time to tell you, but there’s just too much going on that I keep forgetting. Plus, there’s this hearing from the Court, preparing for Seoul Fashion Week, the …erm what else?”

 

 

Taeyeon was pacing around the room, far from her usual composed self, which puzzles Tiffan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter