Picking the fairies

The Wish Fairies

Picking the fairies 

 

Kwon Eunbi was many things. She was smart, beautiful, compassionate, a hopeless romantic, reliable and kind. But, ever since she was a kid she was always commended on something else. 

 

Kwon Eunbi was the master of getting things done. 

 

They always said that she could grow up to be a successful business woman. Perhaps a CEO of some sort. And honestly, she agreed with them. That's why she was studying business managment. 

 

So, when she was given the role of Health and Wellbeing representative at her college dormitory, there was no doubt in everyone’s minds that she would fulfill it to the fullest. She had a vision, and she was going to fulfill it. 

 

The Wish Fairies. That’s what she called it. 

 

She had gotten the idea in the shower one day after a random stranger smiled at her in passing. Because of that simple act, she felt the need to want to smile at the next stranger and the next. She wondered briefly if those strangers then smiled at the next people that they passed by. 

 

Eunbi wondered if it would be the same with good deeds. 

 

Thus, the idea was born. People filled out a sheet with the words ‘I wish…’ and finished it with one wish they wished to be granted. Then Eunbi would message the people individually just to confirm that it was them that put it in and not someone else and also to clarify a few things about their request. 

 

It was the end of the week and there was already a full box of wishes and Eunbi was quite pleased with the result. She had to get rid of a couple that were obviously just put as a joke. The people confessed that yes, they didn’t really want the head of the college to sleep with them. She would be very worried if they really did mean it and had no clue what she would’ve done if they were being serious. 

 

Most of the wishes were simple enough that Eunbi could do it on her own. And there were a few that showed up numerous times from different people such as “I wish the cafeteria would serve this food”, “I wish my neighbour would shut the hell up” and “I wish I had bubble tea”.  Eunbi noticed that the second one had all been from every person living on the second floor. Except for one person, who Eunbi had deducted was the neighbour in question. Actually, there was one more request like that but from a different floor. Theirs was actually worded like “I wish I knew who is being loud at night so I can tell them to shut the up.” Eunbi had laughed out loud when she found out that this person was the poor soul that lived directly above the neighbour in question. 

 

However, there were a handful of requests that she wanted additional help with. And she knew exactly who to ask. 

 

………………………………………..

 

Kang Hyewon lived on the 8th floor of the dormitories and everyone was either in love with her or just loved her in general. Eunbi couldn’t think of a single person that didn’t absolutely adore that girl. She was mysterious to everyone that wasn’t close to her because of her stoic face and because she was a woman of few words in larger group settings. But, once you got to know her, she was actually the biggest sweetheart with the warmest heart. 

 

“Ah, I knew it was too good to be true.” Hyewon hummed to herself when Eunbi placed the papers with the wishes onto the table in front of them. 

 

Eunbi had made her way to the fashion department, knowing she’d be able to catch Hyewon after class with a request that Eunbi knew Hyewon couldn’t refuse. Good food. That's why, the two of them were sitting together in front of a food stall, waiting for their food. Eunbi had just asked Hyewon if she could help her with her project.

 

“What was too good to be true?” Eunbi said. Something else about the girl was how random she was. She tended to abruptly jump from topic to topic. Though, it would make sense afterwards, the connection between her sudden jump. 

 

Hyewon picked up a particular request and inspected it. This particular wish had really good Korean handwriting. It was very neat and eligible. Not like the chicken scratch she’d see some of her friends write. 

 

“That you would ask me out.” Hyewon said nonchalantly, turning the paper and nodding in understanding when she saw whose wish it was. It was from Yabuki Nako, a second year student from Japan. That explained the very neat handwriting. International students always had the most eligible handwriting. 

 

Eunbi raised an eyebrow at Hyewon and the girl lifted her eyes from the paper to lock eyes with Eunbi, a mischievous look on her face. Eunbi held her gaze for a few moments, the ghost of a smile playing on her lips. 

 

That was another thing about Kang Hyewon. She was the biggest flirt. And was good at it.

 

Hyewon wasn’t usually the type to date, but that was because everyone knew that she had her sights set on Kwon Eunbi since the moment she first laid her eyes on her. Eunbi knew too and definitely liked her back. 

 

But, both girls have never made the move to make it official between them. Not because they were too scared or didn’t want to, but because they enjoyed the way they would dance around each other. It was a little game that the two had silently agreed to. Their favourite game. 

 

“I can see why you’d want me to help with this one.” Hyewon said, her gaze returning back to Nako’s wish. “I wish I had a new wardrobe.” 

 

“Nako told me that she’s sick of her own style.” Eunbi nodded, eyes running over the cute heart Nako had drawn next to her name. “She likes being a cutie but she wants to be a baddie, too. She said, and I quote, ‘you know? Like an ABG’.” 

 

“ABG?” 

 

“When I looked it up, I found out it was a medical term for some sort of blood gas test.” Eunbi chuckled to herself when Hyewon’s face contorted into confusion. Eunbi had reacted the exact same way when she saw the search results. “But, my sister saw me looking it up and she explained to me what it meant. Apparently, it stands for Asian Baby Girl.” 

 

When she saw that Hyewon still looked confused, Eunbi let out another chuckle. 

 

“Just ask Wonyoung. She’ll explain it better.” Eunbi said, remembering the way her little sister had opened up pinterest and instagram and showed her many photo references to what Nako was referring to. 

 

Hyewon nodded. Satisfied enough. Whatever the term meant, Hyewon was excited to go on a shopping trip with Nako. Nako was her friend through mutual friends, so they were close but not really close. They just never had the opportunity to hang out alone together and this shopping trip was the perfect opportunity for them to grow closer.

 

A paper on the table caught her eye. It was from her cousin, Kim Minju.

 

“Um. I like eating, but I don’t know how to cook.” Hyewon said once she read Minju’s wish. Minju had written ‘I wish I could learn how to cook’. 

 

“Oh, don’t worry.” Eunbi said. “I only enlisted your help for Nako. I just wanted your help in assigning the other Wish Fairies. Besides, I already have one in mind for Kim Minju.” 

 

“Who?” 

 

Just then, a person interrupted their conversation, placing down a bowl of tteokbokki in front of them. 

 

“Here’s your order.” said the person. “Enjoy your food!” 

 

Lee Chaeyeon was a second year dance major. She had recently opened up a food stall that was open three days a week; Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Either than dancing, Chaeyeon had a passion for cooking and loved cooking for her friends. 

 

Her food business had started off as a casual thing, with her friends asking every now and again if she could cook something for them and she would do it for free because she loved her friends and they got to eat the food together, anyways. Then the friends of her friends started to ask after tasting her food. They had offered to pay and who was Chaeyeon to say no to money? One thing led to another and Chaeyeon decided to try opening up her own food stall. At first it was only during festivals and special events, but it got popular enough that she could open it more regularly. And the rest was history. 

 

Eunbi wasn’t really friends with Chaeyeon nor as she talked to her before, but her girlfriend lived in the same dormitory as Eunbi and Eunbi was really close with her. 

 

Hyewon eyed the way that Eunbi smiled at Chaeyeon while she walked away, the gears in her head turning. 

 

“Oh, I see.” Hyewon nodded, impressed. Eunbi brought her gaze back to Hyewon, a playful smirk on her face. “Is she going to be my Wish Fairy, too? My wish has to do with food, too.” 

 

Eunbi only winked at her, taking out her phone to snap a picture of the tteokbokki. Hyewon followed her example, making sure to get Eunbi in the back of the picture, too. 

 

After the ‘date’, Eunbi and Hyewon made their way over to Chaeyeon, noticing that the customers had started to dwindle down and Chaeyeon was able to work at a much slower pace. The poor girl looked very busy back there, cooking all by herself. 

 

“Hi, Chaeyeon? My name is Eunbi and this is Hyewon.” Eunbi said, her eyes landing briefly on the picture of Chaeyeon and her girlfriend, taped next to the grill. Next her eyes shifted to the paper hanging next to the cash register, the words ‘now hiring’ printed out in bold and black letters. 

 

Chaeyeon looked up from where she was dilligently cleaning up some of her work station. She smiled politely at the two. She knew of the famous Kwon Eunbi and has talked to Hyewon a few times before through her girlfriend, but that was the extent of her relationship with the two. 

 

“Do you have a minute, Chaeyeon?” 

 

…………………………..

 

“Okay, so, I’ve got Nako and your little sister, right? And Chaeyeon's got hers?"

 

Hyewon and Eunbi were walking back to their dorm after successfully getting Chaeyeon to agree to become a Wish Fairy. It wasn’t too hard, anyways, Chaeyeon was more than happy to help without the need for ulterior motives. 

 

“What about the rest?” Hyewon said. Hyewon sifted through the papers, stopping at Kim Chaewon’s wish. “Chaewon wants confidence. I can also take her on a shopping spree? Buy her a new wardrobe, too?” 

 

Hyewon caught a glimpse of a few of the other wishes, her eyes landing briefly onto Minju’s best friends’ wish. Jo Yuri, was the girls’ name. She wondered how the hell they were going to pull off her wish. 

 

“Chaewon’s confidence is a little different, though.” Eunbi said, pulling Hyewon out of her thoughts. “She told me that she wants to be confident enough to just speak up and say what she wants to be able to say.” 

 

Hyewon pursed her lips, deep in thought. That meant that Chaewon needed a Wish Fairy who was outspoken. A Wish Fairy who wasn’t afraid to take risks and to be herself. But, who? 

 

Eunbi was also deep in thought, thinking through her list of friends. 

 

Both girls were thinking way too hard, that they missed the way a girl had turned the corner, running frantically in their direction. They only noticed her presence when she had zoomed past them, opting to jump over the bushes and lay in the dirt, hidden from sight. 

 

Eunbi and Hyewon both jumped in fright, with Hyewon instinctively bringing her hand to protectively rest on the small of Eunbi’s back. Once Eunbi had gotten over her initial fright, she smirked a little bit when she grew aware of Hyewon’s hand on her. 

 

“If anyone asks, I was never here!” Piped up the girl from behind the bushes. 

 

Eunbi and Hyewon exchanged a glance but then shrugged to each other. 

 

A few moments later, a burly security guard that Eunbi recognised from the Music department came jogging through. He was panting, his feet dragging along the ground as he ran. He was also drenched from head to toe. 

 

“Yah.” The security guard said when he reached Eunbi and Hyewon. He stopped and hunched over to catch his breath. “Have you two seen a girl run through here, recently?” 

 

“Yeah.” Hyewon said and Eunbi’s eyes flitted over to her momentarily. She tried to nudge her subtly. 

 

Hyewon pointed across the street towards the Female Health Help Centre on their campus. There were cartoon peaches plastered all over the windows, as well as drawings that alluded to female body parts on it. 

 

“She went in there.” Hyewon said, her voice monotonous. Eunbi had to choke back her laugh when she saw the way the security guard’s eyes widened in mortification. 

 

“Right.” The security guard pursed his lips. He eyed the health centre with hesitation. “Thank you for letting me know.” 

 

After a few more moments of deliberation, he his heel and walked back towards the way he came from, grabbing his head in frustration. 

 

Once he had turned the corner, Eunbi burst out laughing. 

 

“You’re a special one, Kang Hyewon.” Eunbi bit her lip. 

 

“I know.” Hyewon said in the same monotone voice, but this time there was a glint in her eye when she saw the way Eunbi was looking at her. “I’m quite the catch. Anyone would be lucky to date me, wouldn’t they?” 

 

“Debatable.” Eunbi’s gaze was still locked on Hyewon, a smirk on her face. 

 

Suddenly, a cough from the bushes broke them out of their moment. 

 

“I’m still here, you know?” said the girl from before. She poked her head out of the bushes and an amused smile on her face. “Is the guard gone? So that I can leave you two alone with your obvious ?” 

 

She brushed at some twigs in her hair, a cheeky smile on her face. “Well, unless, you don’t want me to? I’m pretty fine with that.” 

 

Eunbi’s mouth almost dropped open. It took a lot for her to be shocked, but this girl was so forward.

 

“Choi Yena.” Hyewon suddenly said out of the blue.

 

The sudden exclamation from Hyewon had both of the other girls' gazes resting on her. Yena's face was quite comical. Hyewon thought she was a cartoon character that was suspended mid-air, realising they were about to fall down. 

 

"You’re in my business studies class, aren’t you?" Hyewon elaborated. "I knew you looked familiar.” 

 

“Hmmm? Oh, yeah! I am!” Yena said. “You’re the pretty girl that never talks.” 

 

She stood up from the bushes and jumped over. Hyewon and Eunbi watched her brushing off the rest of the leaves on her pants. 

 

“Thank you, for that, by the way.” Yena said. “I owe you, pretty girl.”



“My name is Hyewon.” 

 

“Ah, yes. Hyewon.” Yena said. She turned to Eunbi. “And you are?” 

 

“Eunbi.” Eunbi stuck out her hand for Yena to shake. Yena shook her hand with a lot of force. Eunbi could tell that the girl had a lot of energy. “May I ask, why were you running from the security guard?” 

 

“Oh, I threw a bucket of water on him.” Yena said as if it was the most normal thing in the world. She scratched aggressively at her chin, hanging open slightly and her eyes furrowing. 

 

“Right.” Eunbi said, grimacing a little when she saw the way that a tiny bit of drool fell from Yena’s lips and she wiped at it with the back of her hand. “Can I also ask, why you felt the need to throw a bucket of water on him?” 

 

Suddenly, Yena’s face turned serious, a sour expression on her face. It was a complete 180 from everything she’s seen from the girl since she first talked to her. 

 

“He’s a dickhead.” Yena said. “I saw him being mean to my crush. He was laughing at her because she fell down the stairs. He didn’t even help her! Just laughed!” 

 

Suddenly, Hyewon’s eyes widened the slightest bit, the story of the security guard ringing a bell. She definitely knew who Yena's crush was. 

 

Hyewon nudged at Eunbi, tilting her head in Yena’s direction with a knowing look. Luckily, Eunbi was thinking the same thing as her, just for a different person. How convenient. Yena’s forwardness was just what Eunbi needed. 

 

“Anyways, thanks again. I’ll leave you lovebirds alone.” Yena smiled. “I really owe you guys.”

 

She was just about to turn to leave when Eunbi stopped her.  

 

“Actually, Yena? There’s something we need your help with.” 

 

………………………………..

 

“This is going to be fun!” Yena exclaimed. “Since we're fairies, do we get fairy wings? I look cute in fairy wings!" 

 

Currently, Chaeyeon, Yena and Hyewon were all in Eunbi’s dorm room, snacking on some food that Chaeyeon had left over from her stall. Chaeyeon had to admit, though the way Yena was eating her food made her lose her appetite a little bit, it was a really nice feeling seeing the way that everyone was enjoying her food. She felt very proud of herself. 

 

Eunbi had invited them to come over to explain the logistics of things. And by logistics, it meant finances. The activities treasurer had given Eunbi a decent budget for the activity, seeing as it was quite a fresh and exciting idea. Also, it helped that there was money left over because the sports representatives didn’t need to buy new equipment this year as the last reps splurged the year prior. 

 

Eunbi was dividing up the finances among them as well as the other wishes. A decent amount had to go to the bubble tea one. She was in discussion with a nearby bubble tea store on giving out cards for free bubble tea. There wasn’t much left for the rest of them, so Eunbi wanted to hear their ideas for how they were going to grant their wishes. 

 

“I want to take Chaewon skydiving!” 

 

All eyes turned to Yena in horror.

 

“No.” Eunbi said sternly. “Yena, I told you before, Chaewon is deathly scared of heights.” 

 

“Exactly!” Yena kept her grin. “That’s why I wanna take her skydiving, duh? I’m helping her get over her fear.” 

 

Eunbi shook her head. “You have to help push her outside of her comfort zone, NOT put her life in danger.” 

 

“Skydiving is not THAT dangerous.” Yena huffed. 

 

“Yena? No.” 

 

“But, hear me out. What if… Yena, yes?” 

 

Eunbi pinched the bridge of her nose. With one last shake of her head in Yena’s direction, she took a piece of tteokbokki off of Yena’s plate. She gets a tteokbokki deducted every time she was being insufferable. That was Hyewon’s suggestion. 

 

“Don’t forget, you have another person’s wish to grant.” Eunbi said and she didn’t miss the way Hyewon smirked to herself on the side. 

 

Eunbi took Yena’s reddening face as a sign to move on. 


“Okay, what about you, Chaeyeon?” Eunbi said. “What’s your plan? You’re the only one out of us that has a wish that directly involves money.” 

 

“Well, yes.” Chaeyeon said. “But, I can work without a budget. I was planning on letting Minju come to my stall on a day where I’m not open so I can teach her how to cook then. And I have my own idea for the other wish, so, no need to worry.” 

 

Eunbi eyed her, trying to figure out how she was planning on granting the second wish without a budget. But, she decided to trust Chaeyeon. From what she’s heard, Chaeyeon was the most reliable and trustworthy person ever. 

 

“Alright. I guess that’s good.” Eunbi typed in some notes into her document. She deducted some of the money from Chaeyeon’s budget and added it to Hyewon’s. “More of the budget can go to Hyewon and Nako’s shopping spree. Speaking of which, Hyewon do you have an idea for my sister, yet?” 

 

Hyewon shook her head. Wonyoung’s wish was quite tricky. She really had no clue what to do for her. 

 

“I’ll sort it out.” Hyewon said. Though, she had a few ideas, she wasn’t quite sure how to execute it.  In hindsight, the wish itself wasn’t very hard to grant. But, it was the fact that it was Wonyoung, Eunbi’s little sister, that made it hard. She would think it over some more later that night. 

 

Eunbi was scrolling through the document, double checking on the budgets and all of the wishes, making sure that she wasn’t missing out on anything. Everything seemed to be under control. She had even granted a few of the wishes already. Everyday the kitchen would cook up one of the numerous dish requests for dinner. Last night, they had tried their hand at cooking Filipino food. Tonight, Eunbi was pretty sure that they were going to make pizza. Also, she had successfully gotten the person on floor two to be more quiet. The problem was that they would be practicing their singing at 3am in the morning. That and they always got very heated while playing video games. So, with the help from the Music representative, she was able to grant them special access to the music practice rooms after hours. 

 

Suddenly, something caught Eunbi’s eye. 

 

A stray wish. One that wasn’t assigned a Wish Fairy yet. Luckily, it didn’t seem to be too difficult. 

 

“Oh, crap.” Eunbi mumbled, breaking the conversation that was starting up among the rest of the girls on Squid Game. “By any chance, does anyone here go to the gym?” 

 

Her eyes landed first on Yena. After their run in, Eunbi and Yena had found themselves meeting by chance more and more. And everytime Eunbi saw her she was always jumping over things. Whether it be the fire hydrant or the railings, Yena would jump over it. It was like she’d have random bursts of energy that she had to expel by jumping. Eunbi had wondered briefly what Yena thought of trampolines. 

 

“Oh, hell no.” Yena said. “Me and the gym do not go well together.” 

 

“Me, too.” Hyewon parroted before taking a bite of one of Chaeyeon’s fried foods. 

 

Chaeyeon lifted her head up from her phone. “Why do you ask? Is it somebody’s wish?” 

 

“Mhmm.” Eunbi nodded. She came over to where Chaeyeon was seated to show her the spare wish. 

 

“Honda Hitomi. I wish I had a gym buddy.” Chaeyeon read out loud from the screen. She pursed her lips.  “Well, I go every now and again when I have time, but not regularly because I’m always busy. But, I don’t mind making the time to go with her sometimes? We’re kind of friends, anyways.” 

 

“Are you sure?” Eunbi said. “You’re already doing so much, I don’t want to take up any more of your time. I know you’re quite a busy person.” 

 

Chaeyeon shrugged. “It would help with my dancing, anyways. I’ve got to keep myself conditioned.” 

 

“As long as you’re okay with it.” Eunbi said, but she was still unsure about the whole thing. She didn’t want Chaeyeon to commit to too much. Especially since this was only a voluntary thing. She made a mental note to find some sort of way to repay her for her help.

 

As soon as Chaeyeon told Eunbi that it really was fine, a knock sounded on Eunbi’s door. Eunbi furrowed her eyebrows, wondering if she had invited somebody over but forgot. 

 

When she opened the door, she had to hide her surprise at seeing the person behind the door. 

 

“Hello.” Said the girl. She was fidgeting slightly with her backpack “Are you Eunbi sunbaenim?” 

 

“That’s me.” Eunbi said, having to crane her neck a little bit to look the girl in the face. She was really tall but her face still looked really young, as if she was fresh out of High School. “Can I help you?” 

 

“I put in a wish for the Wish Fairy thing. But, I was wondering if I could retract it?” she said. Her cheeks grew a little pink.  

 

“Sure, of course.” Eunbi said, a little confused as to why she’d want to cancel her wish. She wondered what kind of wish it could have been to make her feel that way. “What’s your name?” 

 

“Yujin.” said the girl. “Ahn Yujin.” 

 

Eunbi grabbed her laptop from Chaeyeon to try and locate Yujin’s wish. Ah, so this Yujin girl was a freshman, that explained why she looked pretty young. Eunbi furrowed her eyebrows when she saw what the wish was. 

 

“Oh.” Eunbi said. Yujin's wish was quite cute. She could see just the kind of person Yujin was just by looking at it. “What’s so bad about your wish?”

 

Yujin scratched awkwardly at the back of her head and Eunbi couldn’t help but feel as though this Yujin girl was like her own daughter. Something about her was very charming. 

 

“It’s just a little embarrassing.” Yujin said, after a couple moments of silence from her end. She refused to meet Eunbi’s eyes. 

 

“Pfft.” Eunbi heard Yena say from behind her, a mouthful of food in . “What wish is more embarrassing than walking around in that outfit of yours?” 

 

Eunbi glared at Yena, ready to berate her but Chaeyeon had already smacked her in the back of the head causing Yena to yelp in surprise. Eunbi watched as Chaeyeon and Yena bickered in the background. 

 

“Don’t listen to her. Your outfit is cute.” Eunbi said, turning around to look at the girl sympathetically. It really was cute on the girl. She was dressed in a white button down shirt, with it buttoned all the way to the top. The shirt was tucked into some red pants and a gold sash was wrapped diagonally around her. There were some gold chains hanging from her pants, too. Eunbi thought she looked like a royal guard for a royal family.  

 

“I-I don’t usually dress like this.” Yujin started to curl her shoulders inwardly in shyness. “It’s a costume.” 

 

“Ah, I see.” Eunbi eyed the outfit up and down. She had done so in a way that wasn’t scrutinizing or critical, she was just admiring the costume. It looked really nice, not like a cheap costume from the costume store. “Are they having a freshman party tonight?” 

 

Yujin shook her head, momentarily getting distracted by the way that Chaeyeon was now pinching Yena by the ear and taking her away to the other side of the room. “It’s the gym that I work at. We’re having a costume party. My seniors are making me dress up like a prince.”

 

“Prince Charming.” Eunbi was impressed. Like she said before, the girl made quite the prince.

 

Eunbi’s brain started to work. And she worked at a gym? She caught Hyewon looking at her from the corner of her eye and she knew that Hyewon had the same thought as her. 

 

“Mhmm.” Yujin said. “Anyways, I got to go now! Nice to meet you, Eunbi sunbaenim.” 

 

She bowed politely, a soft smile on her face and a dimple showing up on her cheek. 

 

“Have fun at your gym party!” Eunbi called to her as she jogged down the hall. 

 

When Eunbi closed the door, she stood there for a bit, an excited smile on her face.

 

Chaeyeon and Yena had calmed down now, with Yena sitting in the corner of the room with her arms up as if she was in detention and Chaeyeon now sitting peacefully back in her original spot, cross legged and munching happily on the food. She caught eyes with Hyewon who was smiling up at her (and making Eunbi’s heart race like it always did). 

 

And that was how Eunbi found her Wish Fairies. 

 

 

....................................

 

A/N: Hi! This idea literally came to me so randomly. It started off as a cute music video idea for Magic by One Direction and then my brain just kept on going and then I went to typing and now here we are!! I think it's also because I really miss OT12 Izone. Though, it's really cute seeing them still interacting with each other, it makes me really happy seeing that they still are close and keeping in contact. Hope you enjoyed the story! Not sure when the next chapter will be up but hopefully soon-ish? I have a few assignments due in the next few weeks so,,, we shall see. Plus, I'm determined to finish TUIM by the end of this year LOL