Every Heart

Frog Prince

 

The next morning…

 

Taemin and Minho walk out of the room, still arguing. “I can’t believe you slept in my room.” Taemin complains.

“Well you didn’t kick me out. Not to mention how you let me sleep beside you~” Minho teased.

Taemin scoffs coldly, feeling a sense of regret for letting him in.

“Next time you come in I’ll-“

They were both cut off by Taemin’s mom rushing over to them. “Guys! We have a crisis on our hands!”

“What is it?” Taemin asks in surprise.

“Lotus Flower Motel…Is in trouble.”

 

“Old man Lee, come out!” People were outside of the motel, holding large protest posters and causing a ruckus.

“Don’t think you can just tell us we have to move like that!” One villager yelled, shoving his poster up high.

Hwang rushed closer to the old man in cowardice.  The old man rubbed his head in worry.

 

“How can this be happening?” Jonghyun asked Eunhyuk as they rushed down the stairs of ECHO hotel.

“I’m not sure but this is going to be leaked to the press very soon.” Eunhyuk explained in worry.

“I’m going to go to Lotus Flower Motel and stop this.” Jonghyun told Eunhyuk once they arrived near the door.

“I believe that is unnecessary.”

They all turned to the voice, seeing Jinki standing behind them.

Jonghyun turned to face him. “I’m not going to sit back and do nothing.”

“This matter is for Lotus Flower Motel to resolve themselves. The last thing we want is to have ECHO hotel involved.” Jinki said, his voice clearly displeased.

“But-“

“What can you do about it Mr. Kim? The motel is going to be demolished either way. Trying to save it would be a waste of energy.” Jinki reasoned.

Jonghyun glares back at Jinki but finally gives in, since Jinki holds a higher position than him.

 

“Old man Lee come out!”

“Stop being a coward!”

The old man smashes his hand on the table and stood up bravely.

“Old man!” Taemin exclaimed in shock.

Taemin’s uncle ignored him as he made his way outside. He heard the people chanting “Protest, protest.” But he silenced them by motioning his hands up for quiet.

“Please hear me out!” He begged.

“If you couldn’t save the situation, you should have said so.” One villager yells out. “This place will be torn down tomorrow, where are we supposed to go?”

The crowd behind him calls in agreement.

Taemin steps up from behind his uncle. “Everyone please be quiet!” The crowd hushes down slightly, allowing Taemin to continue explaining. “To save Lotus Flower Motel, old man made many trips to ECHO. He wants to give you a safe home; he bore all responsibilities, why can’t you be more understanding?”

“Why should I be?” The same villager argues back. “This isn’t the first time that Lotus Flower Motel is making a loss. What hard work? What responsibility? He has himself to blame for all of this. It’s none of your business!” The crowd, once again, cheer in agreement.

Taemin breathes in shakily, frustration building up.

Suddenly, Officer Tam comes into the scene. He gets off his bicycle and walks over to them. “Enough you guys! Anger doesn’t solve anything!” He calls.

“Enough talk, let’s get him.” The villager said, nodding to the villagers behind him.

They all grab eggs from their boxes and throw them at the old man. “Protest! Protest!” They continued chanting.

Taemin yelps and tries to shield both him and his uncle from the eggs.

The old man continues staring down in shame, letting the eggs hit him.

Taemin’s mother rushes out from the motel. “Let’s talk it over!” She yells, scared her son will get hurt.

The villagers continue throwing eggs. But one of them grabbed a box that was emptied out of eggs and threw it towards them.

Taemin lets out shocked scream and shuts his eyes tightly. Minho rushes in and wraps his arms around Taemin, shielding him. The wooden box makes contact with his back, breaking in the process.

The employees all gasp in shock.

The villagers suddenly all grow hush at Minho’s entrance. Both Taemin and Minho were panting heavily. Taemin stares back at Minho in concern.

Minho turns back to the villagers, his eyes showing impatience and annoyance.

“That’s enough.” He said in a firm voice. “You should have cooled down by now. Think it over rationally. What should our next move be? If Boss Lee had tried his best, it’s pointless to smash things; the problem still isn’t solved.”

“What do you think we should do be to assured?” Officer Tam asked.

“I don’t think they will tear down the entire village at one go. During the time, we’ll negotiate. We’ll try to find a solution.” Minho explains calmly.

“Who’s the other party? It’s ECHO, why would they help us?” The villager said.

“If you’re fighting for the people you care about, nothing is impossible.” Minho said. Taemin stared at him for a while, before a small smile appeared on his face.

“I’m sorry. I’ve let you all down.” Taemin’s uncle apologized deeply. “I should have given up from the start… I caused all of you to lose a roof over your head. Please give me some time, I will negotiate with ECHO, I guarantee I will ask for their help. We’ll solve the housing issue.”

The villagers’ gazes soften as they continue listen to him.

“Thank you for taking care of me, thank you for supporting me…” The old man’s eyes start to water as he shuts them tightly, giving a low bow of respect to the crowd.

The silence is broken as Officer Tam comes in. “Okay Boss Lee has apologized. He’s also agreed to help us; let’s go back.” He commands sternly. “We’ll think of a situation, let’s go.”

The villagers all nod in agreement and they soon evacuate the scene.

 

Taemin sits at the steps of the backdoor of his house, throwing rocks at the ground in a grumpy mood.

Minho walked up from behind him, taking a seat on the step beside him and hands Taemin a juice box.

Taemin shoves it away in annoyance and goes back to his rock-throwing.

Minho pouts slightly, but pokes the straw into the juice box and drinks it himself. “Why do you refuse to give up even when you know there is no hope?” Minho asks.

“Never give up at the critical moment; Despair turns into hope.” Taemin stated, looking at him. “Even if the chances are slim, I have to try.”

“But even Boss Lee has given up, what reasons do you have to carry on?” Minho questioned.

Taemin stands up in frustration. “You know nothing. All my childhood memories belong here, do you understand?”

Minho stares blankly back, before lifting himself up. “I don’t. I don’t feel anything.”

Taemin could feel the tears building up; he his lips and gives a small nod. “For a man who has no memories like you, you obviously feel nothing. It has no meaning for you.” He said coldly.

Minho stares back, his expression stern. He turns to the side. “My lack of feelings and memories means I’m able to analyze rationally. Giving up is the only option.” He turns his head to look at Taemin.

Taemin felt his throat close up, so he just nodded again. “Let me tell you…” He hated how his voice sounded so weak and vulnerable at that moment. “I won’t be grateful to you for shielding me. To me, what you did was dumb.”

Minho turns back to Taemin. “Yes, it was dumb. I’m thinking why I saved a fool, who lets his emotions control him.”

Each word was like an arrow to the chest. Taemin’s lower lip quivered as he spoke up. “I don’t wish to talk to you.” Turning his back he continued, “You only make me furious.” He finally let the tears fall freely from his face, sniffing quietly and dabbing them with his hand.

Minho stared at his back, seeing it heaving slightly made him kind of uneasy. He slowly put his hand on Taemin’s shoulder. “I’m sorry I can’t be of any help…” He turns to his side again, looking down at the ground.

Taemin sniffs again, before turning to Minho and leaning, pressing his head on Minho’s shoulder.

 

Minho’s mother clutches her husband’s hand tightly. “Shin… Please get some rest; all this stressing will be bad for your body.” She said gently.

He shakes his head quickly. “Until we find Minho, I cannot rest easily.”

A staff of ECHO hotel comes into the room, his expression tired and restless as well.

Minho’s dad stands up quickly. “Any news?”

The staff looks at him with a sad expression and shakes his head. “I’m afraid not sir…”

Minho’s father’s heart drops. “What if we can’t find him?” Suddenly, an overwhelming pain jolts in his chest, making him double over in pain.

“Shin!” Minho’s mother exclaims in shock, running over to her husband and steadying him.

Minho’s father shuts his eyes, gritting his teeth from the pain.

“Ambulance!” Minho’s mother tells the staff urgently.

 

The nurses all bring him into the operation room, with Minho’s mom and Key following closely.

Once they arrive at the doors, one nurse stops them from going further. “Please wait here while we operate on him.” She said before rushing into the room and closing the door behind her.

Key and Minho’s mom wait near the room nervously.

“Umma, do you think everything will be alright?” Key asks, worried greatly.

Minho’s mom hesitates, but nods. “Your father-in-law isn’t that weak. I’m sure he’ll survive.”

Key nods, trying to convince himself the same thing. “We should tell Jonghyun about this.” He said, standing up. He looks at his mother-in-law. “Umma, you should come with me. Staying here would only make you worry more.”

Minho’s mother hesitates, but finally gives in and stands up, following Key out of the hospital.

Jinki walks down the hall of the hospital, one of the staff told him about Boss Choi’s and he rushed there immediately. He went to the front counter and said to the woman behind it, “I’m looking for Mr.Choi’s room?”

The nurse checked her booklet for the resident and nods when she finds it. “He’s in Room 263, which is down the hall to and to the left.” She directs with her finger.

Jinki nods in thanks and makes his way to the room. When he arrives, a nurse comes out of the room and jumps a little in surprise. “Omo! Are you looking for Mr.Choi?”

Jinki nods. The nurse ushers to the room. “He’s inside. You are free to visit but we just finished operating on him, so he is very weak right now. Try not to stress him anymore.” The nurse warns before walking away.

Jinki walks into the room and towards the bed in which Mr.Choi was lying. He had his eyes shut and an oxygen mask on his face with tubes inserted in his arms.

Jinki sits on the chair next to him, glancing at him before speaking. “I’m sorry Chairman. I was so occupied with work; I hardly had time to visit you. Don’t worry about ECHO. I change in management, doesn’t mean a change in policy. ECHO will be the best.” He assures.

Suddenly, Minho’s father’s eyes snap open and he grabs Jinki’s arm. “Jonghyun.” He said weakly.

Jinki stares in surprise. “Chairman, you’re mistaken-

“Please forgive me.” Mr.Choi went on, silencing him.

“I… Initiated the… Gas explosion.” Minho’s father choked out.

Jinki’s eyes widened. “The explosion that killed Jonghyun’s father and sent his mother into a coma?

Minho’s father goes on. “If your father had left, ECHO would have been divided.”

Key walks back into the hotel with his mother-in-law. “Strange, where did Jonghyun go?” Minho’s mother said in confusion.

“Don’t worry umma, I left him a message on his cell so he should read it soon.” Key assured her. He glanced at the room where his father-in-law was in and saw that it was opened.

Minho’s mother notices it too and they both walk into the room. Jinki, hearing their footsteps, takes Mr.Choi’s grip off his arm and places it back down, he straightens up.

Key and Minho’s mother stare at him suspiciously. Jinki walks closer to them, making Key touch his mother-in-law’s shoulder protectively.

“I came to see Chairman.” Jinki said simply and stepped aside so they could pass.

Key and Minho’s mother rush to the Chairman in worry.

“So-Hee…” Minho’s father said weakly.

Minho’s mother smiles nervously and her husband’s hair. “Rest and be quiet.” She cooes.

“If Minho returns, he must take good care of Key. He mustn’t let Key suffer.” Minho’s father said, his voice breaking with each phrase.

Minho’s mother nods quickly. “Ok. Rest now, please.” She begs, clutching his hand tightly.

Minho’s father’s body suddenly jerks, his heart giving one final leap before it stops.

BEEEEEEP…

“Shin!” Minho’s mother exclaims as she feels her husband’s hand fall limp beside him.

“Father!” Key calls, tears b his eyes.

“Shin! Shin!” Minho’s mother shakes her husband’s body, hoping he was just asleep.

 

Minho drops the gas tank on the floor, making it clang to the floor just a few inches away from his feet. He jumps in shock, the sound echoing the room.

Taemin’s mother has the same reaction, and stared at Minho, surprised at his clumsiness.

What is this horrible feeling?” Minho thinks to himself.

 



 

Crappy title is crappy xD

I’m sorry if this Chapter is really confusing D: I did kind of warn that it would but I will try my best to answer any questions you have concerning the storyline! Also, I know Key is really Bipolar in this story >.< He was fighting with Jonghyun in the last chapter and now he’s not xD LOL LOGIC

Anyway, I need to sleep now. PEACE!