this is a public library

fortune favours the bold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You can just kiss me now."

Soojin scoffs, "Bold of you to assume I want to."

The sound of a chair scraping against the tile cuts through the silence of the library like a hot knife through butter. "What can I say, I'm a bold person." Shuhua collapses into the chair with a smug smile. 

"And an idiot," Soojin adds as she rolls her eyes, "How did you find me?" 

Hand clasped over her heart, Shuhua gasps, "Oh babe, I followed my heart!" 

Next to Soojin, a woman hunched over a stack of books ushers out a seething shush to accompany her withering gaze. "Soyeon sold me out didn't she?" Turning the page of her book, Soojin clicks her tongue against the roof of , "How much did you have to pay to get her to talk?" 

It’s Shuhua’s turn to scoff, "Pay? Please, Yeh Shuhua does not pay—" 

Finger marking the page, Soojin leans back in her chair. Her eyes naturally travel upward, settling on Shuhua with a pointed glare. 

"Chores for three months and Joe's Pizza for a month." The words rush out in an abnormally high pitched squeak. 

If the seething table woman was angry before, she is down right murderous now. "Excuse me, this is a—" 

"— public library," Soojin interrupts, pointing to the colourful sign hanging over the librarian's desk. "If you wanted silence, you should have tried References on the fourth floor. It's a tomb."

The woman returns to her books, but not without a humph and a flashy show of pulling out her headphones.

"Three months of chores and Joe's Pizza?" Soojin let's out a low whistle, "I know you're not poor Shuhua, but that's a little steep. Even for you." 

Picking at the invisible lint on the sleeve of her cashmere sweater, Shuhua shrugs, "It's nothing." The original boldness is gone, replaced by a casual air of indifference. 

"You hate cleaning more than Soyeon." Soojin points out the obvious lie. "What did you do?" 

“Why would you assume I’ve done

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter