part two: the woman from the future.

through space and time

 

***

 

They did not meet Yujin after the play — they decided to take Minjoo home, and she was not in the right state after having a breakdown over her realization and acceptance of feelings for Yujin. Minjoo simply didn’t have the courage, although she felt bad since she promised to see her after her play would end; things just went out of hand and Minjoo was unable to face Yujin yet or she might cry in front of her and blurt her feelings out.

 

She still didn’t have a plan. She just shut herself out from the rest of the world, hanging around her room while overthinking — she couldn’t even continue reading a book. She was just there, laying on her bed or sitting by the window to gaze from afar.

 

Yuri or Hitomi would visit her sometimes to drop off her food but she barely touched it, she would only eat if the two were fuming mad. She had no appetite anyway.

 

Guilt would eat her up even more whenever Yuri would say that Yujin had been consistently calling on the telephone and asking for her. The woman had dropped by quite often too, trying to check on her because she was dead worried but Minjoo refused to go out and see her. She wasn’t simply ready so Yujin couldn’t do anything but to ask for updates only.

 

What hurt her more was Yujin was writing her letters. She would give it to Yuri or Hitomi whenever she dropped by, and mostly, in the letters — Yujin was saying that she should get well soon so they could continue their weekend schedule.

 

Minjoo missed their guitar learning session and sightseeing around New York two times already because she was busy sulking and being emotional.

 

Whenever she had read the letter Yujin would give, she would cry over it because how could someone be so nice, sweet, and considerate? Yujin did not even say that she should go out or ask questions why she was being like that, nor why she did not come to see her after the play and fled off like that? She simply said that she shouldn’t forget to eat her meals.

 

Simple gestures like that made a big impact on Minjoo. She was falling in love even more, and she couldn’t even deny it.

 

But finally, after two weeks of shutting herself from her friends and most especially from Yujin. She had finally decided. It was a tough decision but she knew that it was for the better — so, she finally went out of her cage, and straightly headed off to the geniuses’ room with Yuri and Hitomi following her frantically because she suddenly appeared and went off like that.

 

Minjoo barged in without a notice and walked towards Chaewon and Chaeyeon who were in their shared room, typing away on their keyboards while staring at the monitors. They were surprised at the sudden disturbance but lit up and jumped away from their seats when they saw Minjoo.

 

The siblings were about to greet her but Minjoo halted in front of them, emotionless and black bags clinging under her eyes that revealed that she was not sleeping nicely these past few weeks, her eyes were cold and hurt. She then said, “I’ve decided.” She muttered.

 

“Let’s go back to the present,” Minjoo continued, taking a deep breath, nodding. “I think that’s for the better. We already stayed here longer than we planned in the first place.” added the woman with a low voice.

 

No one said a thing, just staring at her with gazes full of pity. After all, Minjoo was still their close friend and they did not expect that everything would turn out like this. They did not blame Minjoo because they were the witnesses of Yujin’s charm and qualities after all, and it wasn’t surprising that Minjoo would fall, somehow they quite expected already.

 

Minjoo was still a human who was capable of feeling in love, they understood her well but they were worried and sad for her because they very well knew that they couldn’t be…

 

Chaeyeon, however, wasn’t amused at all. “And we know that it’s not what you really want, Minjoo.”

 

Clenching her fists, Minjoo looked away. Of course, it wasn’t what she wanted but it was the best decision. For the better, why live in the past anyway? She would just move on, and everything would go back into the right place. She just needed to be stronger. Although she badly wanted to stay, she desperately wanted to stay for Yujin. Even just for a short time…

 

“Do you think I’ll even selfishly think of myself here? I think I became selfish enough when I asked that we should stay longer.” Minjoo fired back, sighing shakily, feeling her knees buckle. “If we stay… I can’t promise that I’ll stay put and hide my feelings like this.”

 

They knew that Minjoo wasn’t that kind of person, she was pretty straightforward when it came to her feelings. They knew that she wouldn’t be able to hold herself back from confessing especially if she was caught in the moment or the feelings were getting too much and leaking from the bottle already — that was the reason she distanced herself from Yujin, she might blurt her feelings if she would linger and pretend that everything was okay.

 

Shaking her head, Chaeyeon walked closer to Minjoo, holding her arm and giving it an assuring squeeze. “Then be selfish again.” whispered the woman, “All we want for you is to be happy, Minjoo. We know that she’s making you the happiest. We know… so, now, tell me what you really want, Kim Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo was on the verge of crying. It was embarrassing. Her friends were still supportive of this madness even though it was very wrong in every angle. They all still tried to understand Minjoo, and stayed by her side, willing to go against the odds for her to be happy.

 

She sniffled, using her arm to wipe off the tears that were flowing out of her eyes. She couldn’t suppress her tears anymore. She was too overwhelmed, and she was glad that she got friends like them.

 

“I-I want to stay, Chaeyeon… I want to stay until the very end of Yujin’s short journey in life. Even if it hurts. I’m willing to stay and witness her unfortunate death even though it’s going to make me insane. I badly want to spend and cherish the remaining time with Yujin, please. That’s all I want. Even just for a short time, I want to hold her so badly until the very end of time.”

 

Chaeyeon smiled when she heard what Minjoo had really wanted to happen. Her grip around Minjoo’s arm tightened, reassuring. It was a sign that they were going to stay no matter what, and do whatever she had wanted.

 

“Then we’re going to stay, if that’s what you want. This time, Minjoo. You should prepare because you know what will happen to Yujin but we’re not going to stop you from loving her. While Yujin still has time, go, Minjoo — spend every second and moment with her, and be the happiest.”

 

***

 

Her friends weren’t opposed to the idea of staying longer, as long as it would make Minjoo happy then they were willing. Chaeyeon and Chaewon gave Minjoo until September, until the day of Yujin’s death — their supplies would only last until that very time because of insufficient resources, and there might be a ‘glitch’ or ‘error’ in the timeline and universe if they would stay longer than that time.

 

Minjoo agreed. She still had less than three months to spend time happily with the woman she loved. Maybe that was enough. It was too much even though Minjoo hoped that she could stay forever.

 

Finally, after a tearful talk with her friends, Minjoo was ready to face Yujin again. She wasn’t too sure if she should already confess or what, she knew she would regret it if she would keep it — it was better to confess even though her feelings weren’t reciprocated. She just hoped that she and Yujin would stay as friends even though Minjoo was obviously in love.

 

It hurt. The thought of Yujin not loving Minjoo back but what did she even expect? She shouldn’t hope. The important thing was she would be able to convey her sincere, and deep feelings.

 

Soon, Minjoo found herself standing in front of the door of Yujin and Eunbi’s apartment unit, hesitating to knock. But in the end, after taking a deep breath and thinking that she had no time to beat around the bush, and time was ticking — she finally raised her fist, ready to knock her knuckles to the door when suddenly, the door was opened which made Minjoo freeze.

 

Yujin was there, standing at the other side — equally shocked or even more shocked when she recognized that Minjoo was there at her doorstep, ready to knock and wearing a surprised expression.

 

Minjoo felt like throwing up flowers when she saw Yujin again in the flesh after two weeks of isolating herself. The woman remained the same, still the same passionate and charming Ahn Yujin that captured her heart that easily but it was a little obvious that she looked a little but gloomier than usual. She was just standing tall there, tense, and holding a guitar case.

 

Their eyes met. A pair of honey orbs met a pair of chocolate orbs. Something sparked, and Minjoo’s heart ignited, flowers filling up her whole chest as her heart rattled in absolute joy and a tinge of sting. She missed seeing her.

 

There was a soft thud, the hard guitar case was dropped on the floor.

 

Minjoo forced a smile at Yujin who was just staring at her, different emotions were written all over her expressive eyes — Minjoo just watched it shift into shock, recognition, happiness, sadness, worriedness, and then into slight confusion and hesitation.

 

“Yuj—”

 

She was cut off. Her breath was taken away instantly as she was suddenly pulled for a tight hug.

 

Minjoo was slightly dumbfounded and shocked, her muscles went absolutely tense as Yujin caged her in her arms, tightly hugging her as if she was scared to let her go. The hug was warm, tight, and comforting — Yujin missed her as much as Minjoo missed her, that was for sure.

 

Lavender filled Minjoo’s nose, it was pleasant. She awkwardly shifted a bit, raising her arms, hesitating a bit if she would hug Yujin back but in the end, she did — wrapping her arms around the taller woman’s waist, hugging her back and pulling her closer. Yujin was so soft, and very warm — her heart drummed in joy and content.

 

Minjoo melted into the embrace, closing her eyes, and enjoyed Yujin’s affection. This was the first time they hugged. And it was really comfortable, and perfect. Being held by Yujin like this… Minjoo would miss their moments like this.

 

“Hmm, did you miss me that much?” teased Minjoo although she already got the answer. Yujin did not mutter anything though. “Sorry for ditching you and fleeing off like that after that play, I’ll make it up to you.”

 

“I don’t care about that anymore,” Yujin replied almost immediately, her voice low and hoarse. Her hug tightened. “I was so worried. Are you okay now?” She then asked, breaking the hug and frantically checked Minjoo head to toe, checking every side of her while the shorter one could only chuckle.

 

Minjoo nodded, smiling weakly at Yujin but her heart was doing tumblings out of happiness — the taller woman was really worried. “I’m all good now. That’s why I’m here. I’m really sorry that I didn’t even send you a letter—”

 

“Hush. I don’t care about that.” Yujin cut her off, placing her index finger on Minjoo’s lips to stop her from talking further. “As long as you’re good now, then it’s all fine. You don’t need to explain at all, Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo shook her head, “I’ll treat you some ice cream as an apology then, do you dare to reject it?” asked the woman with a smile, and Yujin flinched. Even just an ice cream would do, this was at least she could do.

 

Yujin blinked, sighing, as she brought her hand up to scratch her brow. “You know I can’t say no to ice cream.”

 

The smile on Minjoo’s face brightened. “Then it’s a deal. Let’s go.”

 

And Minjoo just found herself seated in one of the ice cream shops in the streets, while Yujin sat across from her, happily digging in on her chocolate ice cream. The shorter woman couldn’t help but to stare but she would avert her gaze away, not wanting to look creepy and look outside instead, eyeing the blue skies. The weather was great today. Not too hot.

 

“You’ve brought your guitar. Are you going to use it?” Minjoo asked when the stuffy silence between them finally got her, turning to look at Yujin with a curious look.

 

Yujin nodded like a little child, there was an excess of cream on the corner of her lips and Minjoo’s eyes lingered there for a moment until the taller woman gave her an answer after taking another scoop of the delicious treat. “Hmm. Yes. I was about to go to the school today,”

 

Tilting her head, Minjoo was confused. “But it’s Sunday?”

 

Yujin flashed a smile, taking another scoop. “Exactly. There’s no people in the school, so I can use the theater room. I kind of want to practice there since it’s pretty peaceful and quiet in that place. Eunbi’s friends will be present at the apartment later and surely, I will be disturbed if I’m going to stay. But then, you appeared all of a sudden.”

 

“Well, you don’t need to postpone your practice session because of my sudden appearance. If it’s allowed, I can tag along with you at your school and accompany you.” Minjoo offered, continuing eating her melting strawberry ice cream.

 

The orbs in Yujin’s eyes sparkled at the suggestion. “I think that would be great! My university isn’t that strict with outsiders as long as they’re with a student of theirs.” She said, practically trembling in excitement.

 

Minjoo chuckled, taking a few sheets of tissues while shaking her head. Yujin was excited because of something simple like that? Hmm, it was visible that the taller woman enjoyed her company too because if not, they wouldn’t be this close anyway.

 

“Then we’re going to head there after finishing our ice creams,” Minjoo said, and then leaned closer, reaching for Yujin’s firm yet sharp jaw, and gently caressed it before using her other hand to wipe off the melted chocolate ice cream on the corner of Yujin’s lips with the tissue.

 

Yujin froze at the gesture, very caught off guard, unable to do anything but to let Minjoo wipe off her lips with blush creeping up on her cheeks. The shorter woman didn’t notice it, and finally retreated after a few damps, then crumpled the tissue using her hand and threw it on the trashcan near their seat. “You eat ice cream messily.” Minjoo commented softly.

 

When she didn’t get an answer, Minjoo turned to look at Yujin who was silently eating her ice cream while hanging her head down low — she was eating in a very careful and slow manner which made Minjoo giggle, muttering, “Cute.” Under her breath.

 

***

 

The theater room was pretty cozy; it wasn’t too small yet it wasn’t too big either. When they entered the room, it was dim, and Yujin just the lights of the stage and opened some windows.

 

Minjoo looked around — it was pretty peaceful inside indeed. No wonder Yujin liked to practice here, it was cozy too, and people wouldn’t be able to bother you much.

 

“Are you going to settle there?” asked Minjoo, walking to the front row of the seat, and sat at the very middle, watching Yujin intently as the woman walked to the stage and went to the back — seemingly grabbing something. When she came back, she was dragging a tall stool with her then placed it at the very front of the stage that would offer Minjoo a nice view of her and they would be able to talk closer.

 

Yujin crouched at the stage, opening her guitar case. “Hmm! You can stay put there. You can see my hand movements perfectly from there too.” She said, taking her guitar with her then sat on the stool, positioning her guitar on her.

 

Minjoo hummed, resting her elbow on the arm of the chair before propping her chin on top of her palm, just intently watching Yujin with a dorkish grin plastered on her face. “What are you going to play?”

 

Strumming her guitar to check if it was tuned properly, Yujin briefly glanced at Minjoo before focusing on the strings. “Random songs? I don’t know but there’s this Elvis Presley song that I’m currently practicing these days…” She answered, a little bit shy than what Minjoo had expected.

 

“Elvis Presley song? Well, I think it’s going to be fantastic. I want to hear it.” Minjoo said, feeling anticipation running through her veins. Watching Yujin play the guitar and especially — sing, was just an unearthly experience. Yujin’s voice was more addicting than drugs, it was a lullaby and hypnotizing. Minjoo had never gotten tired of hearing her sing or even talk.

 

Yujin gave her a tight smile. “Later then, let me just warm up.” She said, reluctantly, clearing as she started to strum the guitar while Minjoo was left watching her with a small smile on her lips, in awe.

 

Goodness, Yujin really looked like a goddess on that stage. She was just doing the bare minimum yet she looked like she didn’t belong to the mortals. She looked so magnificent that Minjoo’s heart couldn’t take it. Ahh, she was very lucky enough that she could watch Yujin casually like this, it felt like it wasn’t right to watch the woman like that for free.

 

Yujin played some few random hit songs but it was just all brief since she would pause and shift to perform another song quietly. In every pause, Yujin would give out pointers too because of course — until now, the taller woman still thought that Minjoo didn’t know how to play a guitar. Still a great, responsible ‘teacher’, indeed.

 

“Ah, Yujin-ah, can I try before you start?” Minjoo suggested, and Yujin obliged, telling her to come up to the stage so the shorter woman gladly hopped on her feet and dashed to the stage.

 

The taller woman let her sit on the stool while Yujin stood behind her, helping her, and guiding her. Minjoo faked to fumble over the positioning of the guitar on her lap so Yujin silently reached at her from behind, feeling her front pressing against her back — giving her a warmth.

 

Minjoo secretly smiled, liking at how close their proximity was. She then purposely positioned her fingers in the wrong way, and Yujin gently guided her — the shorter woman could only sheepishly answer, “I’m sorry. I forgot already. It’s been weeks, after all.” As Yujin held her fingers, leading it to the correct position. Minjoo felt sparks all over as their fingers touched, and Yujin held them dearly, supporting her, and guiding her own to press on the right strings.

 

Heh, Minjoo wasn’t even focusing on trying out playing the guitar, just feeling Yujin behind her, casually tilting her head a bit to watch Yujin who was leaning on her shoulders, murmuring instructions as she guided Minjoo’s fingers. She smiled.

 

Well, no regrets that she lied that she didn’t know how to play guitar even though she was actually great at it. She got to be close with Yujin like this in practice sessions.

 

It really felt like Yujin was hugging her behind. Minjoo bit her lower lip, suppressing a smile. After a while then, Minjoo fakely gave up, throwing a fake tantrum because she couldn’t still strum the strings consistently but Yujin just smiled at her, looking at her as if she was the most adorable thing in the world. With that, Minjoo let Yujin take the guitar again and waddled over back to her seat with a triumphant smirk.

 

Soon, Yujin sat back on the stool again with the guitar, strumming random songs. Minjoo tilted her head with a smile.

 

“Are you going to play me that Elvis Presley song that you’ve been practicing while I was not around?” Minjoo finally decided to say after watching Yujin fool around with her guitar, in a daze, it went on like that for fifteen minutes so the woman from the future finally spoke.

 

Yujin turned to her, gulping at the mention before giving her a wry smile, shifting a bit on her seat. “Alright. If that’s what you want.” murmured Yujin, there was a trace of nervousness on her voice, and her posture was suddenly stiff.

 

Minjoo sat still, watching her from her seat with an excited smile, her eyes were sparkling — she couldn’t wait for Yujin to perform exclusively in front of her. It was possessive of her, yes, but it couldn’t be helped since it seemed like it was Yujin’s first time performing this song in front of someone.

 

Taking one last deep breath, Yujin briefly glanced at Minjoo first while the latter gave her a thumbs up. She shakily strummed the guitar — it was slow and gentle, too pleasant on Minjoo’s ears; familiarity hit her almost immediately. The song that Yujin was performing sounded familiar.

 

“ Wise men say

Only fools rush in ”

 

It was slow and husky. Yujin sang the lines very softly yet full of emotions with her lovely voice, her eyes were solemn, glued to the guitar. Minjoo froze up, feeling her heart racing all of a sudden. This song..

 

“ But I can't help falling in love with you ”

 

Minjoo’s heart stopped beating for a moment as Yujin sang the line, her voice was even hoarse, and it was as if she was breathless. Minjoo felt her body tense up because the way Yujin sang the lines… was she singing for someone? Every word, Yujin sang it with passion and she was pouring her feelings out — Minjoo knew this was way different because she had witnessed Yujin sing in front of her a lot of times.

 

Yujin was always passionate whenever she sang and played guitar but there was something else at that moment, Yujin wasn’t just passionate — she was serious, and she was emitting an aura that could make Minjoo shiver. Yujin was pouring her feelings out, her whole soul. And Minjoo went pale.

 

“ Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you? ”

 

Minjoo’s heart skipped a beat, feeling her blood run cold as she watched, stunned.

 

Yujin continued, still singing so magnificently — if there were other people watching Yujin, they must be gaping and their jaws were already dropped on the floor because of how good she was; her feelings could be felt by others because of how she sang the song with suppressed emotions. One could tell that this song was dedicated to someone…

 

But for who? Minjoo felt a lump stuck in .

 

“ Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be ”

 

Even though Minjoo had conflicting thoughts and feelings as of the moment, she was still amazed and focused on watching Yujin. But then, the next lines — Minjoo’s breath was fully caught.

 

Yujin suddenly tilted her head so she was looking directly at Minjoo, and not on her guitar anymore, continuing to strum the guitar as she stared at Minjoo from the stage with a gaze so intense that Minjoo felt like burning.

 

“ Take my hand

Take my whole life too

For I can't help falling in love with you ”

 

Minjoo’s world stopped rotating, her breath was still caught in the back of .

 

Once Yujin sang the lines, she slowly came to a stop but as she did that, she was still making eye-contact with Minjoo. Her eyes were sparkly, and helpless. As if she was trying to convey a secret message using her eyes and performance.

 

Oh, Ahn Yujin, did you also fail trying not to fall in love?

 

That very moment, Minjoo wasn’t even aware of her surroundings anymore. Still staring back with the same intensity, her lips were tightly pursed together, and her hands felt clammy. She couldn’t even properly breathe at all because of the breath-taking performance, and because of her wilding heart. It was almost impossible to breathe.

 

It went like that for another whole minute before Yujin herself broke it, averting her gaze almost reluctantly, and stood up from the stool, taking her guitar with her. Minjoo watched her place the guitar back to its case silently. It was oddly suffocating in the spacey room, suddenly.

 

“That’s what I’m practicing,” Yujin said after a long silence between them, awkwardly clearing as she closed the case, securing that it won’t open — she refused to meet Minjoo’s gaze as if she wasn’t just staring at her like she was her whole world a few seconds ago. “I didn’t manage to sing the whole song since my throat feels itchy.” added the woman. Excuses. Excuses.

 

“So, how was it?” Yujin awkwardly questioned when she realized that Minjoo wasn’t even responding at all. She stood up, and looked down from the stage, waiting for the shorter to answer.

 

Minjoo was still mum. And with a sigh, she stood up from her seat, and made her way towards the stage. Yujin stood there still, following her with her eyes. She kept approaching until she was just standing about three steps away from Yujin, looking at her.

 

“That song,” Minjoo whispered, and Yujin perked up, listening.

 

Taking a deep breath. Minjoo took the biggest risk. “That song better be dedicated to me.” She added with an expressionless face, but her voice was laced by possessiveness and intensity that could make one shiver.

 

Yujin’s cheeks turned red, her eyes widened as if she was a deer caught under the headlights. It was the confirmation, and oh, the joy — Minjoo’s heart rejoiced but she still needed to settle something between them.

 

Yujin’s lips parted, ready to explain and probably say some excuses when suddenly Minjoo strided forward, approaching closer until there was no space left between them before — her hands reached for Yujin’s flushed face, and gently pulled her down while she met her halfway.

 

All this time, it seemed like Minjoo’s feelings were reciprocated. Yujin fell in love with her, like she did — unable to stop themselves from falling further. It was almost unbelievable, if it was a dream then Minjoo wished to be trapped in this dream forever where she could hold Yujin like this and feel her love. But reality struck her soon enough…

 

When Yujin’s lips met Minjoo’s own pair, it was an absolute slap on Minjoo’s face that everything was real. That Yujin had confessed her love to her through singing her a song.

 

The softness of Yujin’s lips were real, the sweetness of it was real. Everything was real, and it wasn’t a dream at all. Yujin couldn’t help but to fall in love with Minjoo, and that was the same for the latter.

 

The kiss was just an innocent brushing of lips together, too caught into the moment in a good way. Yujin was like a statue, and when Minjoo pulled away, the taller woman was absolutely in a daze; she was still trying to process what was happening, and it made Minjoo chuckle, feeling giddy and the happiest among them all.

 

“Was it for me?” asked Minjoo, smiling brightly.

 

Yujin blinked, nodding slowly even though she was still in a great shock.

 

Minjoo’s grin went even broader, pressing another kiss on Yujin’s lips to indirectly say that the feelings were mutual but the latter was busy panicking and trying to sink the current happenings.

 

“Yujin-ah,” Minjoo called softly after the peck, her voice was sweet and her gaze was loving. “I also can’t help falling in love with you too.”

 

***

 

No one was even surprised when Yujin and Minjoo suddenly barged into the apartment while their hands were glued together. No one was even more surprised when they announced that they were together — but they were all happy, howling as they all teased the new couple.

 

The five friends were very supportive; Yujin was slightly dumbfounded. Well, in this kind of time, a lot of people were still conservative and not very accepting but the five of them treated them as if their relationship was normal. That was why Yujin hesitated to confess because she thought that Minjoo thought that having feelings for the same gender was abnormal but everything went out of hand when she sang that song of Elvis Presley. Her true feelings were revealed, however, in that accidental confession — she also learned that her love was actually reciprocated all along. Both of them pined for each other unknowingly throughout these past few months.

 

It was overwhelming for Yujin’s part, she actually teared up when all of them teased them, telling them supportive words. Right, that hit the others that same relatiobships here weren’t too common, still. They comforted Yujin afterwards, and the latter was just so happy.

 

“As long as both of you are happy. We’re happy.” Chaeyeon said with a sheepish smile. Very supportive, even giving Minjoo a sweet smile; Minjoo threw a smile back.

 

While Yujin was distracted with the cookies, Minjoo turned to her friends, mouthing. “Thank you.” She was so happy, even though their circumstance was conflicting and it was forbidden — even though the future had already been written; Minjoo still went for it, determined to make Yujin feel loved even though in the end, Minjoo would be shattered into pieces.

 

This was her choice. The choice that would make her the happiest yet at the same time, she would also lose her heart in the process. Why?

 

Yujin would bring her heart with her anyway once she ascended into heaven soon.

 

It was a cruel fate. But Minjoo knew she was bound to get hurt in the end anyway, so she would get the most of it.

 

This was what she wanted all along. To love Yujin, and to be loved by Yujin, even if it wasn’t for eternity. She was content, and she would go back to the present time — broken, but she was satisfied and happy that she fulfilled her ‘mission’, that even in such a short period of time, she and Yujin loved each other passionately and fiercely.

 

***

 

Five days after the new couple became official, they decided to have a mini celebration — just a small, relaxing celebration while having a picnic in Central Park.

 

They were having a blast, all of them were content and relaxed. The weather that day was sunny but the sun wasn’t blazing hot, perfect for a picnic. It was such a peaceful place

 

Most of them brought things that would entertain their own selves since gadgets weren’t allowed to the public. Chaeyeon brought books to read, and she was currently leaning against a tree, reading about theories of physics while eating popcorn.

 

Hyewon, Hitomi, and Chaewon brought board games, and they were playing snake ladder at the moment with Minjoo — all were competitive and kept whining whenever they would need to go climb back down. Minjoo was the one who was wholeheartedly enjoying it, laughing it off whenever she had to climb down back again while the others, especially Hyewon kept roasting her because she kept losing.

 

Yuri and Yujin were beside her, talking animatedly about their favorite band, The Beatles, and music related stuff. Of course, the huge fans. They were literally having a passionate talk about how good their songs were and other more. They literally clicked a lot, they also shared the same passion for singing.

 

Even though Minjoo and Yujin’s attention were not focused on each other, their hands were intertwined. They rarely had skinships since they were still new and shy around each other but in occasional times like this, even just holding hands would do; they were surrounded with their supportive friends anyway, no need to be embarrassed to show a little affection with each other.

 

Minjoo was very respectful too, not really crossing the line since she knew that Yujin was inexperienced. Well, Minjoo was too — but she had a lot of knowledge, and technically, she was the older one in this timeline. She had to be mindful, matching Yujin’s pace.

 

Yujin brought her guitar and Yuri borrowed it — although she wasn’t as good, she was still trying. Fortunately enough, no one mentioned that Minjoo could actually play a guitar. Heh, she lied for months and she wasn’t planning to expose herself further.

 

After a while, Minjoo grew bored of playing with the three and decided to insert herself in Yujin and Yuri’s conversation. She scooted closer to Yujin, resting her chin on the taller woman’s shoulder while munching on her bread. Yujin’s shoulders were Minjoo’s new home.

 

Yujin just leaned closer, still talking to Yuri while laughing. Minjoo smiled, not saying anything, and just listened while snuggling closer to her favorite person in the world.

 

“Seriously, it’s just a shame that John Lennon got killed,” Yuri suddenly said in the middle of the conversation that made Minjoo and Yujin freeze.

 

Minjoo could feel the world stopping. Yujin was confused though, blinking, and staring at Yuri with a gaze of disbelief, not knowing what to say because the latter might be bluffing but she looked solemn. Minjoo started to panic, Yuri and her god damn mouth where troubles only come out!

 

“What?” Yujin exclaimed, very confused, arching her brow.

 

Yuri glanced at her, fiddling with the grass under her, looking at Yujin in disbelief. “Eh? John died in 1980, remember?” She said, still not aware of Minjoo’s deadly gaze across from her, evidently forgetting that it was still 1964. “Did you—”

 

Minjoo leaned, shoving her half eaten sandwich into Yuri’s mouth then said, “Stop fooling around you dimwit,” Minjoo played it cool, laughing forcedly then gave Yuri a sharp look who finally realized what she had said. “And just eat. You must be very hungry to say such stuff...”

 

Yuri just threw them an apologetic gaze, muttering apologies, and awkwardly ate the sandwich. Minjoo gulped, glancing at Yujin, and decided to shift her attention to her instead of thinking of what Yuri had said.

 

But it was noticeable enough that Yujin was distracted throughout.

 

Minjoo had hoped that Yujin would forget it eventually.

 

***

 

Time flew so fast, it was even faster because Minjoo was spending her time wholeheartedly with her love. She didn’t even realize that it was already her and Yujin’s first month as a couple. In a blink, days really gone just like that. And Minjoo wasn’t too ready, still praying that time would stop or even just slow down for a bit.

 

She was enjoying spending time with Yujin as her girlfriend so much that she didn’t even notice much about time or anything, being too focused on her only. Sometimes, Minjoo would even forget that their time together was only limited because she was enjoying too much but before going to sleep — Minjoo would lay awake, staring at the ceiling, and would cry.

 

Each day, the desperation for the time to stop engulfed Minjoo even more. Because each day passed, Yujin’s death was approaching closer, and Minjoo would need to go back into reality once more and pretend that nothing had happened. She stopped herself from going to Chaewon and Chaeyeon and kneel in front of them to beg for them to create a device that would stop the time.

 

Enough, she had been selfish enough. Why was she suddenly rejecting the inevitable fate that the love of her life would die? She had already accepted it a long time ago. That was why she would let her damaged heart suffer more willingly soon.

 

All Minjoo could do was cry every single night, and hope that the others couldn’t hear her pathetic sobs.

 

She wasn’t even happy that their monthsary had approached rather quickly because it only meant one thing: one month left or so.

 

But still, Minjoo faked her chirpy mood even though part of her was hurting and also happy because it was their first month as a couple, of course — and they decided to have a date at the mall.

 

They strolled side by side, they didn’t have the guts to hold each other’s hand because they were still a little bit shy to show affection in the public and they wouldn’t risk it — some xenophobic slurs were enough. The both of them might really cause trouble if there was a homophobic comment on them if ever. They played safe. They wanted to spend their day peacefully.

 

Both of them entered a jewelry shop randomly, checking out some accessories, and stuff when something caught Minjoo’s eye. The latter approached that section, and took a closer look. It was a locket. There was nothing special with the locket, it was star shaped and gold. The design was rather simple, and plain but it was nice and attractive.

 

Minjoo checked the price and it was a whooping $711 pendant. It was reasonable, they were in an expensive jewelry store where the items they offered weren’t budget friendly. The price wasn’t a problem though — she found a perfect gift for Yujin.

 

Star was the perfect word to describe Yujin. Yujin was Minjoo’s star.

 

Glancing through her shoulder, Yujin was still browsing through the other section, distracted. So, Minjoo immediately turned to the awaiting attendant, pointing at the locket.

 

“I’ll get that one, please. No need for a paper bag, just put it in a ring box. Thank you.” Minjoo said with a smile.

 

Thankfully enough, Yujin didn’t even notice that Minjoo literally bought something inside the shop because she was busy checking out some accessories. The shorter woman literally had a transaction behind her back.

 

And when they exited the shop, Minjoo was keeping the box in her purse, secured and ready to be presented later to Yujin. Her woman deserved the best, after all. She wanted to give her girlfriend something nice.

 

They decided to have a picnic date. Well, picnics were just their thing, and they absolutely love hanging around Central Park. It was their favorite spot to stay since it was pretty peaceful. But after going there, they dropped by their homes first to get Yujin’s guitar, and Minjoo changed her clothes, and made them some sandwiches to eat for later.

 

Soon enough, they were in the grassy field again. Yujin was gently strumming her guitar, meanwhile, Minjoo was fumbling over the camera — she kept taking pictures of nature, and took stolen pictures of Yujin too. They also took pictures together, asking a kind stranger to take pictures of them.

 

Once Minjoo was satisfied with the photos, she focused on Yujin, staring at her girlfriend for a moment as she gently strummed the guitar, humming. With a smile, Minjoo scooted closer, and yanked the guitar from Yujin’s grip.

 

The shorter woman then naturally positioned the guitar on her while wearing a smile. Yujin just watched her, amused. But that amused expression faded soon and was replaced with astonishment when Minjoo started to play the guitar smoothly and expertly as if she wasn’t just struggling how to strum days ago.

 

“Did you just practice like hell?” Yujin asked, surprised.

 

Minjoo held back a laugh, “No,” She answered, still gently strumming the guitar while looking at Yujin, her fingers naturally moving on their own — she had already mastered playing a guitar smoothly without even checking the positioning of her fingers. She remembered the strings by heart. “I’ll tell you a secret, Yujin-ah.”

 

Yujin didn’t say anything, just staring at Minjoo, and waited for her to continue.

 

With a chuckle, Minjoo finally revealed. “I can actually play guitar. I also love playing guitar equally as piano,”

 

Yujin was beyond shocked at the revelation, not knowing what to say or think. The conflicted expression on her face made her even more cute. Minjoo just gave her girlfriend an apologetic look. “...Wha—?”

 

“Sorry for lying. I did that so I can be close to you.” Minjoo reasoned out with a wink then stopped strumming, resting her hand on the base of the instrument then shifted the topic immediately. “And because of that, let me make it up to you by playing you a song that I, myself, composed.”

 

Okay, technically, it was another lie — Minjoo had never composed her own song. And she was planning to play a song that was released in her time, and claim that it was hers to impress Yujin. She knew it was bad, but hey, it wasn’t like Yujin would know.

 

Instantly, the shock and betrayal were wiped off from Yujin’s expressive eyes — excitement and anticipation replaced them all. The taller woman nodded eagerly, flashing a dashing grin.

 

“Really? Okay!”

 

Minjoo smiled at her lover’s excitement so she immediately started to play and sing ‘Little Things’ by One Direction. It was the perfect song to sing for her Yujin.

 

She sang softly yet with a tinge of seriousness to show that she was sincerely singing for her lover only, even staring right directly in Yujin’s eyes to show that the lyrics were meant for her. A message.

 

Yujin just watched her intently, looking at her as if she was her whole world. And Minjoo was indeed her whole world anyway, that was no doubt. The tips of her ears were red even though her face was showing nothing much. She was definitely moved.

 

“ And I've just let these little things slip out of my mouth

'Cause it's you, oh, it's you

It's you, they add up to

And I'm in love with you

And all these little things

 

I won't let these little things slip out of my mouth

But if it's true, it's you

It's you, they add up to

I'm in love with you

And all your little things ”

 

Minjoo finished just like that, giving Yujin a nervous look because the latter wouldn’t say anything even after performing. She gulped, tilting her head. She was a little bit scared that Yujin might’ve not liked the song at all or something. “So, how was it? Am I good? Did you like it?” Minjoo nervously sputtered out.

 

Yujin did not answer, instead, she cupped Minjoo’s cheek — and leaned in, capturing her lips softly. Minjoo was, of course, surprised at the sudden sweet action. It was very unexpected especially that they were currently exposed in public but it seemed like Yujin didn’t care anymore so Minjoo relaxed, and pulled her lover closer instead.

 

The kiss didn’t last for more than ten seconds when Yujin pulled away, sighing softly then moving her fingers to tuck some of Minjoo’s tray hair behind her ear while eyeing her softly. “It’s perfect. You’re perfect, Kim Minjoo.”

 

After that, they continued playing the guitar and singing along together — this time, Minjoo was the one who kept using the instrument, and playing random songs from the future that she could memorize by heart. Yujin even asked if they were also composed by Minjoo because it was unfamiliar, and okay, Minjoo slipped one time! She accidentally answered that the song she had played was actually a song by IU! Hell. IU wasn’t even born this time.

 

She had just played it off that it was an unknown Korean artist. Yujin believed, maybe.

 

And when the sun fell, and the skies turned into orange hues — they decided to go home but before that, Minjoo stopped Yujin from arranging their things, and told her to keep still before rummaging through her purse. Yujin watched her like a curious cat, saying nothing.

 

Minjoo shyly presented her the locket. And Yujin was simply dumbfounded and amazed, falling in love at first sight when Minjoo had opened the box, and showed her the star shaped pendant. The shorter woman then proceeded to tell her that she had secretly bought it earlier for her as a present.

 

“Joo-ah, I…” Yujin stammered, her lower lip quivered, about to cry and Minjoo noticed it but she didn’t want to see tears falling from Yujin’s eyes even though it was happy tears.

 

Minjoo smiled at her overwhelmed lover, taking off the locket from the box then ordered, “Turn around, darling. I’ll do it for you.” And Yujin obeyed, even collecting her hair up with her hand so it wouldn’t be a hindrance. Once done, Yujin turned around again and checked the locket, smiling sheepishly.

 

“Looks great on you.” Minjoo complimented, her heart warmed because the pendant looked like it was made for Yujin to wear.

 

“I’m sorry I can’t get anything for you—”

 

Minjoo placed her index finger on Yujin’s lips, stopping her from talking out of guilt. She didn’t ask for any exchange, just seeing her wear it was enough but since she was a little bit greedy, she had something in mind.

 

“A kiss will do, Ahn Yujin.” said Minjoo with a mischievous smile, and Yujin blushed a bit, clicking her tongue.

 

“I’ll shower you kisses once we get home then.”

 

“As you should.”

 

***

 

Another week had passed, and Minjoo had mostly spent her time with Yujin. The latter had no school because it was their summer break, and she was mostly focused on her theater career, especially that she got a big break in the musical field. Yujin had landed a very crucial role in a huge show! The veterans and other professional musical actors were even the ones who picked her personally.

 

Minjoo would never forget Yujin’s face and happiness that day when she learned that she would be playing a lead role in the biggest show she would ever perform on yet. If it was successful, this might be the chance for Yujin to be more known in that field. Minjoo was even equally happy as Yujin that day, she was the proudest girlfriend.

 

And as the most supportive lover, Minjoo would often tag along in Yujin’s rehearsals. It was allowed, as long as she wouldn’t disturb people. People could freely watch the rehearsal as long as they got permission. Minjoo was even a little bit close with Yujin’s other workmates, encouraging Minjoo to audition after they learned that she was taking up Theater Arts.

 

Minjoo wasn’t really leaving Yujin’s side unless necessary. She was very clingy and Yujin didn’t mind it at all. Well, there was a reason why she was very clingy with her lover anyway.

 

In the first place, Minjoo wasn’t a very affectionate person but she knew she had to show her love and everything to Yujin while they still had time. Minjoo would often sleepover at Yujin’s place or Yujin would stay at Minjoo’s room so they could spend more time together. No one said a thing because they all knew what was going to happen soon.

 

The five close friends of Minjoo couldn’t help but to be sad and heartbroken for the both of them but everything was already written. And nothing could stop those happenings to ensue.

 

One night, a week before Yujin’s big performance and birthday, the both of them laid down on Yujin’s bed — they decided to have a sleepover again, and Minjoo was extra clingier. It was a long day for Yujin since they practiced all day for the upcoming big play so she was already peacefully asleep beside Minjoo.

 

But Minjoo was wide awake, staring at Yujin intently. Using her eyes, she traced every feature of Yujin’s angelic yet handsome face, worshipping, and admiring it — memorizing it. She would definitely miss staring at this godly face in the future.

 

Gulping, she slowly s her hand up, and moved it to reach for Yujin’s face. She gently cupped the taller woman’s cheek, tracing Yujin’s brow, nose, and lips with her fingertips lovingly and carefully as if it was a dainty, fragile glass.

 

She would miss this, she would miss being close with Yujin like this, she would miss Yujin — she would desperately yearn and miss everything.

 

Minjoo didn’t even realize that she was crying silently already, couldn’t help but to finally tear up as her heart was shredded into pieces. She took a shaky deep breath before leaning in, pressing a sweet kiss on Yujin’s forehead.

 

“I love you the most. I’ll miss you the most, Yujin-ah.”

 

***

 

No one said a thing when Minjoo looked like her soul got taken by a reaper a day before Yujin’s birthday and performance. They had already packed their things, and they all helped Minjoo pack her own things because it was obvious enough that the woman was not in the right state to function at all.

 

Minjoo had never said goodbye to Yujin yet. Nor do the others. It wasn’t necessary anyway since by the time they went back to the present time — Yujin was already dead.

 

Chaeyeon and Chaewon had already contacted Yeji and Jisu from the present time, asking them to be ready since real soon, they would be going home. They were all ready. Not Minjoo though.

 

Minjoo would leave this timeline; with her lover dead. Now, who would be very excited to be home? When she had grown accustomed and grown to love this place? She didn’t belong here but because of Yujin, she felt like she needed to fit in this world. She only stayed because of Yujin anyway.

 

Minjoo couldn’t even bring herself to cry anymore. Tears must probably have dried up already or there was no tear left for her to cry anymore after countless nights of sobbing and crying for Yujin. She had no ability to shed a single tear anymore. Her heart was already numb to feel anything.

 

All she had wanted was Yujin only.

 

Sure, she had accepted and she knew from the beginning that Yujin would die but it didn’t mean she wanted it — it was the least thing that she wanted to happen after meeting such a lovely woman like Yujin.

 

Minjoo hated the world. Minjoo hated fate. Minjoo hated herself — for not being able to do anything. She was just a mere time traveller who got caught in a web of love with Yujin. Loving Yujin wasn’t a mistake at all, it was the greatest thing to ever happen to Minjoo in her whole life even though the time wasn’t enough — yet it was also the most painful thing.

 

The thing Minjoo could only do was to let things happen like how it was supposed to before. Even if it hurt, even if it was sickening.

 

Yujin was long dead. That was her unerasurable destiny.

 

When Minjoo saw Yujin that night after the latter’s last rehearsal for the performance tomorrow — the performance that would almost give her an honorable award from professional and veteran people in the musical theater field — she almost fell into her knees and sobbed but she couldn’t. It might worry Yujin.

 

Oh, her poor Yujin… she would die tragically on her birthday, and probably the most unforgettable day in her life after taking up theatre.

 

“What’s with the weird look?” Yujin asked her when she had noticed that Minjoo was staring more than usual.

 

Minjoo flashed her a smile. “I’m just so proud of you. So, so proud.”

 

That was the truth. Even though it was painful as hell, part of her broken self was very happy for Yujin’s growth. She had successfully done her mission and purpose. Minjoo had witnessed Yujin’s love for theatre grow equally as her passion for music, and she had never failed to make Yujin feel loved.

 

She had done her duty. And Minjoo was satisfied, she was content with what she had done to Yujin’s life. She made a big impact, and she was a little glad that Yujin would die getting loved…

 

Yujin told her happily about her mother attending the performance to watch her, planning that she would actually talk to her, and tell her that she was a lesbian, and dating Minjoo. The shorter woman just listened with a smitten smile, it might be the last time she would be able to experience Yujin talking to her so she cherished it. And it was probably their last time eating dinner together so Minjoo ate her food extra slowly that time.

 

“Are you excited for tomorrow, Joo-ah? It’s a pretty big day, and it’s my 19th birthday too.” Yujin asked, grinning sheepishly at her lover who was oddly silent that night.

 

Minjoo smiled, her numb heart dropped. “Yes. I can’t wait to watch you conquer that stage.” No, I don’t want to lose you…

 

That night, Minjoo held Yujin extra tighter, and she kissed her extra longer. She made their last night together memorable, and when the clock struck twelve, meaning that it was Yujin’s birthday — and death day had already arrived, Minjoo immediately whispered her a greeting, wanting to be the first one to be able to greet her.

 

“Happy birthday, Yujin-ah. Remember, I’ll always love you until the very end of me.”

 

Even if you’re gone. I’ll love you eternally.

 

***

 

“Minjoo,” Chaeyeon’s voice entered Minjoo’s ears which made her snap back into reality. She flinched a bit, turning to her friend with a tired look, and she was greeted by five pairs of worried eyes.

 

Minjoo didn’t say anything, just silent, and faced Chaeyeon with a solemn look. Chaeyeon pressed her lips together, suppressing a sigh then said, “After the show, we can’t face Yujin anymore, all clear? It’s better if we’re finally back in the present before we can even witness her death.” She whispered.

 

And as expected, Minjoo didn’t answer, just staring blankly at Chaeyeon. The others understood her odd behavior, and just tried their best to comfort their friend — especially these upcoming days, or months… They couldn’t even guess what was in Minjoo’s mind because she looked expressionless the moment she went back to their apartment earlier in the morning after sending Yujin off.

 

Currently, they were standing in front of the theater house where Yujin would perform, and the place was already packed, and full — there were no people lining outside anymore since they were already in their reserved seats, anticipating for the show that was about to start. They were kind of late because Minjoo locked herself inside her room for the meantime until she appeared at the last minute, telling them that they should go and watch Yujin for the last time.

 

They had also left a vague letter for Eunbi since the latter might wonder where they went. They just wrote that their sudden disappearance was abrupt, and they personally couldn’t bid their goodbyes, wishing them a happy life.

 

“Are you ready?” Chaeyeon then asked after a few moments.

 

Minjoo gave her a pointed look. “No,” She answered, then turned her back, starting to walk inside the theatre. “But we need to, I need to.”

 

Soullessly, Minjoo sat still on her seat — they got the best seats and view of the stage. The six of them were silent, not like the people around them who were murmuring to each other, and saying things that they were very excited to watch.

 

Minjoo completely forgot to breathe when the curtains finally ascended, meaning that the show would start in a few. She gripped on the armchairs tightly when she finally saw Yujin on the stage — looking very gorgeous in that white dress.

 

Oh, how beautiful… Why did the world take this wonderful woman early? Unfair.

 

And when Yujin started to perform, Minjoo couldn’t even suppress her tears anymore. She silently cried out of pure devastation yet a little bit of proudness as she watched the love of her life sing and act skillfully on the stage. She even spotted the woman roaming her gaze around the crowd for a second, seemingly trying to find someone.

 

Their eyes met briefly, and Minjoo wanted to shrink.

 

She witnessed how Yujin glowed even more after their brief eye-contact, she smiled more brightly, and she performed a lot more energetically. Minjoo was Yujin’s source of power, it may seem — Minjoo inspired Yujin to perform even better, for her and for the people who were watching her in awe.

 

Throughout the whole hour show, all Minjoo did was cry and finally let out a choked sob when it finally ended — she watched Yujin smile big, her eyes sparkling as she faced the crowd, and bowed as the curtain once again descended from the top.

 

Minjoo caught Yujin’s eyes before the curtain dropped. The latter was a little bit worried and Minjoo couldn’t take it anymore.

 

Every person in the theatre finally stood up from their seats, ready to go home after watching a fantastic show. Minjoo didn’t remain glued to her seat, also standing up when the five silently stood up.

 

Hyewon looked at Minjoo with sad eyes. “Let’s go home, Minjoo-ah.”

 

Nodding, Hitomi also butted in. “Yeah. The medicine that I created won’t last long anymore in our body. By tomorrow, our health will deteriorate. Let’s go home, Minjoo…” She whispered, trying to give out a reason.

 

Minjoo, with a defeated sigh, nodded. “Of course,” She smiled at them sadly.

 

“But… Can I give Yujin one last goodbye? I didn’t get to say my farewell last night.”

 

The five women turned to each other, silently communicating through their eyes, and Chaewon nodded, giving Minjoo a signal. “Go on. We’ll wait for you, be quick.”

 

And before Minjoo walked away, Chaeyeon held her hand, preventing her from fleeing fast. The woman then said to Minjoo with a serious voice, “Don’t do anything stupid, Minjoo.” Minjoo just smiled, and took her hand back, continuing making her way towards the backstage.

 

The guards immediately let her in after showing an authorization letter from Yujin. She tried to spot Yujin in the crowded backstage but she couldn’t see the woman so she asked one of the actors, and told her that she was in the changing room so she went there — only to know that she had already went out of the room; one of the stylist said that she went outside to meet her mom after changing.

 

Her eyes widened out of realization. Yujin would die because she would meet her mom on the other side of the street...

 

Minjoo ran out of the back exit, and tried to spot Yujin. And oh, she immediately saw her — the woman was walking towards the other side of the road, probably going to approach another person across the road which was probably her mom.

 

However, a flash of light caught her attention from the side. Minjoo froze, turning her head towards the direction of the light and spotted a truck coming from the other end with a great speed. There was no intention of descending speed even though there was a visible figure walking down on the crosswalk.

 

Was this the moment Yujin would die?

 

And Minjoo was going to witness it?

 

Yujin also froze, turning her head at the upcoming vehicle rushing forward. She went tense, and Minjoo saw it — and her world came into a halt.

 

“Minjoo!” Yuri’s voice broke her trance, and that made her go back to reality. Minjoo’s muscles went rigid, her fingers twitched, and adrenaline rushed through her whole-being.

 

And before Minjoo could even think, her body suddenly moved on its own; dashing towards the middle of the road. Instinct. Her instinct told her to save Yujin.

 

A loud crash could be heard.

 

Followed by horrified screams.

 

***

 

Yujin blinked, feeling her sight go blurry for a moment as she felt herself landing on the hard ground with a harsh impact. She could feel her arm and side throbbing painfully because of the fall. She couldn’t even breathe, she tried to sit up despite the pain, and felt her sight go hazy again when she saw the truck had collided with a tree nearby.

 

The same truck that almost hit her.

 

Yujin sprang up from the ground, slowly collecting herself, and stood up while trembling extremely. Her heart was beating rapidly, and it felt like it would stop soon.

 

When Yujin saw that the truck was rushing towards her, she became too dumbfounded and shocked so she suddenly stopped her movements — and she knew that very moment, it was the worst decision she had ever made. She almost died… She thought it was her end until suddenly, there was a force behind her that made her stumble forward.

 

Someone pushed her away from getting hit. And who might be—

 

Yujin turned her gaze back to the road, and her blood ran cold when she saw a person lying down just beneath her feet — she felt her breath get caught in when she saw that the person’s head was bleeding, creating a pool of blood on her head.

 

And Yujin’s world was crushed when she realized that the woman who was currently lying down on the cold hard ground and bleeding, the same person who had saved her from the rushing truck, the person who made her cheat death — it was Kim Minjoo. Her lover. There was no way Yujin wouldn’t be able to recognize her girlfriend even though it was dark, she was even wearing one of Yujin’s favorite jackets.

 

“Oh my god, Minjoo!”

 

That just confirmed it. The woman who just saved Yujin from death was Minjoo.

 

Yujin froze, standing still like a statue as she looked down at her unmoving, and bleeding lover. She was too shocked to move, she was feeling thousands of negative emotions. She just stood there as Minjoo’s friends rushed over the woman who was lying down on the ground.

 

The five was going to originally wait for Minjoo there but Chaeyeon had a bad feeling so when Minjoo disappeared, the woman instructed that they should follow her because there was just an uncomfortable sensation in the pit of her stomach — however, they were too late to stop Minjoo from rushing forward to save Yujin from getting hit by the speeding truck.

 

Yujin didn’t get hit, thanks to Minjoo who pushed her away — the latter, unfortunately, wasn’t too lucky. She got hit by the side of the truck, which made her stumble forward and hit her head on the ground.

 

“! Chaewon, call Yeji now!” Chaeyeon frantically said, and Chaewon fumbled over the weird device repeatedly until Yeji had finally accepted the call.

 

Their voices were muffled in Yujin’s ears, she couldn’t comprehend what was Chaewon shouting at that weird device anyway. She just watched there, unmoving like a statue, every nerve in her body went still.

 

Hitomi tried to be calm, and tended Minjoo’s bleeding head with a cloth that she had with Yuri and Hyewon’s assistance. They were all panicking.

 

Yujin didn’t even notice that her mom had already rushed back to the theater house to ask for some help.

 

“Unnie, we need to get out of here. Now.” Chaewon seriously said after talking with Yeji, and Chaeyeon nodded, frantically searching for a place then asked Hyewon to help her carry Minjoo, and flee away to a more hidden place before the others could spot them.

 

Yujin was still standing there, soulless. Chaewon gritted her teeth, and marched towards her — slapping Yujin across the face to snap her out of it. The numb pain woke Yujin up from her trance, looking at Chaewon helplessly while the latter glared at her.

 

“Move, you fool!” Chaewon spat, rushing to follow the others to run away. Yujin finally got herself back, and also shakily followed them, even though she felt her knees buckle and her side was painfully aching — she trailed behind.

 

They spotted an abandoned property nearby that would offer a nice place to hide so they settled there, and Hitomi instructed Hyewon and Chaeyeon to put Minjoo down to the floor so she could assist her.

 

Minjoo wasn’t bleeding heavily but enough to make them panic and feel frantic because she might still die out of blood loss if she wasn’t treated well. They needed to take her to the hospital soon.

 

“What are you guys doing? We need to take her to the hospital,” Yujin breathlessly protested, kneeling beside her unconscious lover, not knowing what to do. She wanted to throw up… she was the one who could’ve been hit! Why did Minjoo have to save her… Why…

 

Chaeyeon shook her head. “We have already overstayed here, Yujin-ah. We need to go home…” She answered, turning to Chaewon who was frantically fumbling over the button of the switch.

 

Yujin was silent for a few moments, still staring at her lover who had pale lips, and her head was still bleeding, her brows furrowed together. Yujin could feel her heart shattering into millions of pieces.

 

“You…” Yujin paused, clenching her trembling hands. “Where are you guys from?” whispered the woman.

 

Chaeyeon took a deep breath, turning to Yujin with a serious look. “We’re from the future, the year 2021 to be exact.” She answered, expecting that Yujin would react dumbfoundedly but the woman’s heartbroken expression didn’t even turn to shock.

 

She only reached for Minjoo’s cold hand, holding it tightly as she bit her lip. “My woman…” whispered Yujin, “...is from the future. It all makes sense now. The weird device that she always brings with her. The unknown artists and bands she had mentioned... and it always feels like you guys know too much. It didn’t surprise me at all that you guys are from the future indeed. I had thoughts but I just shrugged it off, knowing it was impossible.”

 

Chaeyeon gulped — Yujin wasn’t that dumb but she was surprisingly not very overwhelmed with the situation. “Yes. And we need to go home now. We had overextended our stay here. We might die if we don’t go back as soon as possible. It’s already getting dangerous for us.” She said, and as if on cue, a metal-like box started to grow bigger until it was almost the size of a fire truck at the quiet, abandoned property.

 

Yujin couldn’t even feel shockness or anything, she was just heartbroken for her injured lover and guilty since because of her — she was bleeding and dying. Her focus was on Minjoo, praying above that they would save Minjoo.

 

“Let’s go! Yeji is going to activate the time travelling device in a few minutes.” Chaewon announced, and they all prepared themselves, eyeing Yujin to let go of Minjoo now but the latter remained holding tight.

 

Yujin chewed on her bottom lip. “I’m sorry.” She whispered, and pressed a kiss on the back of Minjoo’s hand before finally letting her go, and Hyewon and Chaeyeon carried Minjoo inside the craft..

 

“No, we’re sorry, Yujin-ah.” Yuri also apologized, her eyes were sincere and guilty.

 

Yujin shook her head, following them inside the craft. And once Minjoo was properly seated, and she was dressed in her suit that would protect her from getting absorbed by the blackhole — the others rushed to dress up too. And for the meantime, Yujin kneeled by Minjoo’s seat, staring at her lover for the last time.

 

“We’re not for each other. You’re from the future, and I’m from the past.” Yujin whispered, and smiled sadly at the unconscious Minjoo. “But I’m glad enough that we still managed to find a way to meet and love each other. Although, it wasn’t long. I’m the happiest that I met you. I’m sorry for putting you in such a dangerous state like this, I’m really sorry. Go back home and stay safe, please.” added the woman even though Minjoo wasn’t able to hear her.

 

“I love you the most. I hope you know that. Through time, until I perish in this world. I’ll only love you.”

 

Chaeyeon escorted Yujin out of the craft, and the latter was silently tearing up. She was so reluctant to stand up, and leave — she could only glance at Minjoo for the last time as she went down, she was visibly trembling and suppressing her sobs

 

“Did she really love me?” Yujin suddenly asked, breathless.

 

Chaeyeon smiled, nodding. “She did. She begged us to stay here, for you.” She said, and revealed. “You’re bound to die today and Minjoo pleaded that we stay until you face your demise but that fool still saved you even though it wasn’t allowed at all.”

 

“So tell me Yujin, is that not love? Minjoo crossed blackholes and travelled through time with a speed faster than light and risked her life just to meet you but stubbornly stayed and saved you from death because she grew to love you with all her heart.”

 

Yujin couldn’t even stop releasing a choked cry upon hearing that. She didn’t know anymore — if she could just go with Minjoo to her timeline, she would gladly do it but it wasn’t allowed. She needed to stay because she was from this time.

 

What Yujin could only do was cry while Chaeyeon continued speaking.

 

“Write more in your journal. Minjoo met you through your left journal. She would love to read what happened to you soon. Pursue your passion, that’s what Minjoo wanted for you.” She continued, and wore her helmet. She then gave a bow to Yujin before ascending into the craft — the door went closed, and Yujin fell into her knees.

 

There were incoherent noises from behind her, and Yujin didn’t dare to look back, feeling the pace of the wind pick up. She just cried silently, and suddenly, there was a sharp noise — followed by a silence.

 

And when Yujin turned around, the craft was long gone from where it was just a few seconds ago. They already travelled back home, it may seem. With Minjoo.

 

With shaking legs, she tried to stand up, her breathing was labored. She also needed to go home, and all she could do was to live on. Minjoo saved her life for a reason, she risked her own life and was currently in a severe state for her to cheat her inevitable death.

 

The highest form of love yet also the most foolish. Minjoo was ready to sacrifice her own life for her.

 

But before she could even walk away from that empty property, she spotted something on the ground. It was a small rectangular device, the same device she saw on Minjoo’s purse and pocket when they had a date before. Must be a device from the future. After all, technology was way more advanced in that time for sure.

 

She picked it up with a trembling hand, and instantly, the device suddenly opened which made her flinch. It looked like a small television, and it was showing seemingly a ‘photo’ of her and Minjoo together.

 

The day they had a date at the theme park… Yujin could still vividly remember Minjoo taking this shot with a camera though..

 

Yujin stared at it until the screen turned black.

 

***

 

In the present time…

 

Minjoo slowly fluttered her eyes open, and she could feel her head painfully throbbing yet it felt light. Everything around her was just so noisy that she arose from her slumber. Her vision was still blurry and couldn’t understand what was happening.

 

She felt her body getting dragged and moved while she was resting on a ‘bed’. Minjoo was too hazy to realize that she was lying down on the stretcher, and they successfully travelled back to the present time. She was rushed to the hospital immediately after they landed back in the right timeline because of her head injury.

 

All Minjoo could think was Yujin.

 

“Yujin-ah...?” called Minjoo softly, and she spotted blurry figures above her — there were muffled noises, and her eyelids were getting heavier and heavier, her head was getting more numb and lighter. Drowsiness kept crawling up to her, and she wasn’t able to fight back because she felt so weak and aching.

 

With that, Minjoo slowly closed her eyes again and instantly fell into a dreamless sleep while thinking of her lover who was living in the past.

 

***

 

September passed, and the first week of November started just like that. Minjoo prepared her bag, and slung it on shoulders before walking out of her home — making her way towards the university, ready to attend classes once again after missing for more than six months or so, her stay in the hospital and recovery period included.

 

Minjoo took out her phone, plugged her earphones and listened to music as she walked in peace that morning. It was her new phone — her old phone wasn’t with her when they got back in the present, and when they traced it back to the past, it was placed in an unknown location; a location that even the geniuses couldn’t hack. But since it was probably left back in the past, it probably did not exist anymore so she got herself a new one.

 

Speaking of — nothing much happened after they had came back. Minjoo was still heartbroken but she was satisfied to know that Yujin lived. Chaeyeon and Chaewon told her that, and it almost risked her whole life. Minjoo could only smile at them apologetically and sheepishly when they confronted her after days of recovering from a head injury.

 

And when Minjoo asked if there were changes, they did not answer. They only vaguely said that there were some new changes in the databases of the world but it wasn’t pretty visible, additional existence.

 

Minjoo had also overheard Hyewon and Chaeyeon once — they were talking about this sudden big entertainment company in Korea that suddenly popped out of nowhere, and there were new k-pop groups that they were sure that never debuted before but now conquering South Korea.

 

However, Minjoo knew it must be an ‘error’ because of Yujin’s existence. It was completely normal. She was tempted though, to ask about Yujin and search for her if she was dead or not but Minjoo simply didn’t have the guts to do it; she wasn’t prepared for another heartbreak so, she would just ask for them to search for Yujin’s information once she was ready.

 

For now, Minjoo was trying to live like nothing happened — but she was still loving Yujin as if she just realized that she fell in love with her yesterday. It was enough. Everything was enough. All she could do was to move forward, and treat Yujin as one of the biggest pieces of her life and memory.

 

Everyday though, Minjoo had never failed to think of Yujin. It was still her who occupied her mind twenty four seven. She had missed her hugs, her kisses, her warmth, her touches — just everything, and sometimes, Minjoo felt like she was about to go mad.

 

Thankfully, she got the camera she brought from the past. She would usually browse through the pictures while tearing up. It wasn’t a lot because Minjoo used Yujin’s own camera often to take their pictures.

 

Yujin’s journal also disappeared from where Minjoo hid it, and it wasn’t too surprising since Yujin lived, she probably continued writing on that journal. And she was probably written in that journal, and their stories… Minjoo wanted to read it but… that journal, Yujin must’ve kept it.

 

With a sigh, Minjoo just continued walking to the school, and when she reached the gates, she took a glance around; nothing really had changed in the school. Sometimes, she still got surprised when she saw people holding phones because ah, yeah, she almost forgot; after living in the past for months, gadgets turned too uncommon on Minjoo’s eyes but now, she was adjusting well again.

 

She then entered the hallway, walking towards her classroom.

 

Her phone vibrated in her pocket, and when Minjoo checked the notification, it was from Hitomi — asking where she was. She composed a reply, too distracted to focus on watching her way; unable to even properly hear some yelped warnings.

 

Minjoo felt something huge colliding with her body which made her stumble backward a bit, regaining her balance — however, her phone wasn’t too lucky; the phone slipped out of her grasp, landing on the floor with a soft thud.

 

Softly sighing, Minjoo bent to pick it up but someone also rushed to pick it up. Oh, someone bumped into her or vice versa, she was about to mutter an apology because obviously, she was also at fault for not watching her way when suddenly—

 

“I’m really sorry,”

 

Minjoo froze at the familiar voice. The voice that had been haunting her for a month or so. The voice that she had been missing to hear all these days. Minjoo could never forget that voice. It was the exact voice like Yujin’s, so she immediately turned her head up to check the owner of the familiar godly voice.

 

It was a woman. And when she also lifted her head up to meet Minjoo’s gaze. The latter swore her heart stopped because the woman in front of her had the same face as Yujin’s. Same mesmerizing eyes but the color of her orbs weren’t those familiar dark chocolate — it was instead blue like the bright skies outside. Her nose was proud like Yujin’s. And those plump lips with bunny front teeth — she was the exact replica of the love of her life.

 

And when she stood up, she was about the same height as Yujin but it seemed like she was taller. Minjoo wasn’t even standing up from her kneeling position, looking up at the woman who looked exactly like Yujin, dumbfounded and stiff.

 

Then, the woman smiled at her as she handed her the phone. Minjoo had expected to see the deep dimples on her cheeks but there was none. She had no dimples, Yujin’s signature feature.

 

“I’m really sorry about that. I was rushing, and it seemed like you were distracted.” The Yujin look-a-like apologized again, and damn, they had exactly the same voice… husky yet soft but melodic. Her accent was a little bit heavy though, as if she wasn’t really that fluent in Korean.

 

Minjoo finally snapped back into reality, abruptly standing up, and took the phone back — still staring at the woman who looked exactly like Yujin. She was still smiling at her, and Minjoo’s heart raged. This woman… she wasn’t Yujin, but a mere look-a-like of her…

 

Her hair was also dyed blue like her mesmerizing blue ocean eyes, and she was wearing a black bonnet. Oversized shirt beneath the jacket, jeans, and converse sneakers. And wow, this was what Yujin probably looked like if she lived in this timeline.

 

“Sorry again! I’m late,” The taller woman squeaked when she glanced at her watch then gave Minjoo a bow before rushing off like that.

 

Minjoo stood there in the middle of the hallway, still frozen, and thinking what the hell happened. Did she just really meet someone who looked like her lover from the past?

 

Tears uncontrollably formed in her eyes, feeling her heart shrink. She immediately opened her phone, not minding the small crack on the side and called her friends while rushing out of the building. She then demanded for them to meet her in the school grounds at that very moment because something urgent came.

 

Minjoo sat on the bench while staring blankly at the sky as she waited for her friends to appear. They appeared all together, rushing to their friend with worried eyes but before they could even ask what happened, she immediately spoke, not beating around the bush.

 

“I think… I met Yujin — no, not Yujin, that’s definitely not her. She has no dimples like Yujin, and her eyes are blue… Guys, I think it’s her reincarnation…?”

 

Everyone was surprised at what she had revealed, looking at each other. Minjoo gulped, eyeing Chaeyeon with a helpless yet hopeless gaze.

 

“Chaeyeon-ah, please tell me what happened to Yujin after we got back,”

 

And Chaeyeon couldn’t say ‘no’.

 

The older woman sat beside Minjoo at the bench, staring at her seriously, and started to explain. Minjoo deserved to know what happened after all, they just waited for her to come to them and ask herself once she was ready.

 

Chaeyeon finally told her what had happened. The conversation between Hyewon and Chaeyeon that Minjoo had accidentally heard was indeed related to Yujin. The big music record that suddenly appeared in the world was actually not just a mere ‘error’ because of Yujin.

 

Because Yujin herself was the founder of the said company.

 

And she was most definitely still alive from this day on.

 

When Minjoo heard that, she couldn’t even suppress her tears. She cried on Chaewon’s shoulders, thanking the deities above that the woman from the past was still alive and very much successful. She was now seventy five years old.

 

Yujin pursued both theatre and music. And she was hugely successful in both fields. She had achieved quite a lot throughout.

 

Chaeyeon and Chaewon were actually trying to contact Yujin but for some reason, they couldn’t reach her at all. After all, Yujin was now one of the most important people in Korea, being the founder of one of the biggest music label records in South Korea and expanding through Asia and America — she was well-kept.

 

Minjoo was happy. Yujin had lived. Her stupid decision on saving the love of her life wasn’t the most stupid thing after all. Sure, it did make some changes but it seemed like the universe had let it happen.

 

Although she badly wanted to meet Yujin again and ask if she still could remember her, and ask how she had been throughout the years — the chance was slim because even Chaeyeon and Chaewon couldn’t even reach someone powerful like Yujin. But she was content.

 

However, something unexpected happened before the end of the day. Minjoo was with her friends, just exiting the leisure room in the school that was solely made for them when they saw a tall figure nearby, asking for Minjoo at the students.

 

They all stopped, especially Minjoo who was literally frozen.

 

The student pointed at them after Eugene asked — they later on learned that the new student named Eugene Ahn from the USA recently transferred to their university, and now a freshman from a foreign land. She was half-American and half-Korean — her family tree was a little bit complicated but she had the real Ahn blood, she was directly related to Yujin so it wasn’t surprising that she looked like her ‘grandmother’.

 

Eugene turned to the direction where the student pointed, spotting them immediately, and instantly smiled; still no dimples that Minjoo had been expecting. Her heart just fluttered in familiarity but it knew the real owner of it so her heart didn’t act much. The resemblance was making her insane though.

 

The blue haired woman thanked the student, and jogged towards their direction. Even Yuri was in awe, also obviously missing Yujin, she was still a friend to all of them after all.

 

“Hi,” Eugene greeted with a smile, just staring at Minjoo. “So, you’re Minjoo…?”

 

Minjoo just wordlessly nodded. Eugene beamed.

 

“Oh, I see! Sorry for earlier again, by the way. Uhm so anyway, I have something to give.” The woman rapidly said, then took out something from her pocket then handed it to Minjoo. It was a small piece of hard paper.

 

Minjoo just took it with a raised brow, confused. She looked at Eugene, silently asking for a little explanation. The blue haired woman gave her a toothy grin, throwing a wink.

 

“My grandmother is looking for you. Please, go to that very address as soon as possible before it’s too late. She’s waiting, and she has already waited decades for you, Minjoo-ssi.” Eugene said with a soft smile before bowing, walking away before Minjoo could even react.

 

The woman’s breath hitched, feeling her heart tremble. She slowly lifted her hand up to read what was on the business card — there was an address, and phone number, and under that information… Minjoo’s heart stopped beating.

 

AHN YUJIN

FOUNDER OF KM ENTERTAINMENT

 

***

 

Minjoo and the others went to that very address once they got the information. Throughout the ride, Minjoo was shaking, and she didn’t know what to do. She didn’t know what to think or even expect. All she wanted to do was to meet Yujin again, even just for a brief moment.

 

Before they could even enter the property of Yujin, a guard stopped them, and it only took Minjoo saying her name to make the intimidating guard frantically open the gigantic gates for them to enter. They were greeted by a huge mansion, and wide property — all screamed wealth and elegance but Minjoo wasn’t in the right mind to even admire the property Yujin had owned after years of hard work.

 

All she knew was Yujin was there inside that palace-like house, and she lived there.

 

When Hyewon pulled over by the driveway, Minjoo immediately went out of the car, not even bothering to close it before rushing in front of the porch, pressing the doorbell while panting softly. And when the heavy mahogany double door opened, Minjoo was greeted by a maid who looked like she had been expecting Minjoo’s arrival.

 

“You may enter, Miss Ahn is waiting for you upstairs. Let me lead you to her.” The woman softly said with a gentle, friendly smile, opening the door even wider so she could enter the house. And the moment she entered the house, she was greeted by a huge portrait hanging on the wall.

 

Minjoo was perplexed, and shocked at what she had just seen. She slowly took a few steps, approaching the painting closer to inspect it thoroughly. She couldn’t be mistaken… the woman in that very huge portrait.

 

Was none other than her. Kim Minjoo.

 

Minjoo was standing, smiling with her eyes closed. And there was when she realized that this was the photo of her that Yujin had taken when they had a date to see the Statue of Liberty.

 

Even the others were shocked to see the huge portrait of Minjoo hanging on the wall. The maid was just smiling at the side, seemingly amused at their amazed expression.

 

She then butted in, “I’ve been a loyal worker of Miss Ahn since 1998 and let me tell you. She already had that huge portrait in her old house before. And when I asked who that beautiful girl was, she would only answer with a smitten smile, ‘the woman from the future who travelled through space and time just to meet me’.” The old maid said, and eyed Minjoo with no suspicion. “Please follow me. I’ll you to her room.”

 

Minjoo finally averted her gaze from the portrait and followed the old maid. The others didn’t follow them anymore, and they were escorted by another younger maid to the other part of the huge house.

 

And throughout their journey to Yujin’s room, Minjoo had stumbled upon other portraits in the house. And some of them were pictures of her, and quite often, her and Yujin together in one frame. Minjoo couldn’t help but to remember the times where they took those photos — Yujin had kept them very well…

 

Not just that, she had seen other pictures of Yujin in a sequence. From pictures of her and Eunbi in front of the broadway, Yujin accepting an award, Yujin in front of the KM Building, Yujin sitting behind a huge desk, to Yujin with short hair smiling at the camera — wrinkles evident on her beautiful face. Everything, it was a sequence. As if Minjoo had witnessed Yujin’s growth just like that.

 

Finally, they had reached the very end of the hallway, and there was a double door — and Minjoo had a hunch that this might be Yujin’s room. Her heart started to beat rapidly, her hands felt clammy, and her whole body trembled in nervousness and anticipation.

 

The old maid opened the door, and gestured to Minjoo to enter. And the latter did, slowly entering the huge, luxurious room. The first thing she noticed was the smell of the room — lavender. Minjoo almost choked upon smelling that familiar scent. Yujin’s signature scent. Oh, how she missed it.

 

She couldn’t even bring herself to look around the nice room and gawk because there was a figure at the open balcony door, sitting on a bench, and back turned to her.

 

Minjoo almost fell into her knees. That person… it must be Yujin.

 

Breathing heavily, Minjoo slowly approached with careful, hesitant steps. She was crying, and she didn’t even hold it in. She just cried as she walked closer, and each step she took, her heartbeat’s pace just kept ascending.

 

And when Minjoo was finally beside the bench, a voice could be heard around the quiet balcony.

 

“You came,”

 

Minjoo’s lower lip quivered. Her voice stayed the same but of course, because of her old age — it turned a little bit weak, and crisp. She took a deep breath, and answered, “You’ve waited.” She then turned her gaze to the old woman.

 

Yujin finally tilted her head sidewards, and after a long time, their eyes met. Minjoo forgot how to breathe when she stared at those familiar, warm dark chocolate orbs that held the entire universe.

 

This old woman… was definitely Yujin, that was for sure. She still looked like Yujin but old — her hair was shining gray, her posture was weak and stiff, and there were wrinkles all over her face like a normal old woman. Although she looked weak because of her age, this woman was the same Ahn Yujin that Minjoo met. It was Yujin — the same woman Minjoo had loved with all her heart.

 

Yujin had smiled at her, and her dimples were still visible on her wrinkled cheeks. “Of course. I waited. You’ve literally travelled in time just to meet me. How am I going to complain? Take a seat beside me. I’ve missed you greatly, Kim Minjoo…” She softly instructed, and let out a cough.

 

Minjoo didn’t sit on the bench though, she kneeled in front of Yujin, and hugged her waist, clinging on her fragile body with gentle care because she knew she couldn’t hug her very tight like the old times. Yujin’s body was already weak and old.

 

The woman cried on Yujin and the latter could only pat her back, and her hair until she had fully calmed down. With that, Minjoo finally sat beside her, wiping her tears with the sleeves of her coat.

 

The old woman just stared at her fondly. “Ah, worth the wait. I can’t believe you’re here now.”

 

Minjoo sniffled like a toddler who just stopped crying after she had got the ice cream she wanted. “I’m sorry for making you wait this long,”

 

“Silly Minjoo. It’s alright. I understand. I can’t meet you until September 1, 2021. That’s just the rule of the universe. I knew you needed to recover too because of the injury so I waited until you could go attend the school.” Yujin softly said with a smile.

 

Minjoo didn’t say anything, just biting her lower lip, and Yujin started to talk about things. Mostly her life — she knew that it was not very necessary to ask Minjoo’s life since the recent happenings that she had experienced was when she was still in the past timeline. Although she asked if her head was already okay, still guilty that she almost died in the process of saving Yujin; and now, they were there — the events were rewritten because of the life that Minjoo had never regretted saving.

 

Despite Yujin’s oldness, her memories from years ago when she had met Minjoo were still all clear. She could still remember every single detail about Minjoo. That was how much Yujin loved Minjoo, even boasting she never loved anyone ever again after her.

 

Although it fed Minjoo’s ego, she was sad because Yujin might’ve gotten lonely. The old woman just laughed at her, shaking her head in amusement, and smoothly answered, “How could I be lonely when I have a lot of memories of you and us to recall?”

 

They caught up with each other’s lives, and Minjoo mostly listened to Yujin’s happy, excited blabbers. There would be times that they had to stop though because Yujin was having a hard time catching her breath and she would cough a lot of times.

 

Minjoo was very worried, but Yujin just shrugged it off, smiling at her to give her assurance. “I’m fine, especially now that you’re here. No time to waste.”

 

With that, they would continue talking until Yujin showed off the necklace she was wearing and Minjoo gasped, it was the same star-shaped pendant she bought for Yujin before. Her heart swelled.

 

“I kept it, and wore it almost everyday. I treasured it like my most prized possession because it was a gift from you.” Yujin said with a smile, showing off the gold locket that was already fading because of overuse and oldness.

 

Minjoo could only grin at her sheepishly. Yujin had also shown something that shocked the woman even more — it was her old phone!

 

The phone was now very worn out and old, and it wouldn’t even open anymore. Yujin revealed that the phone was dropped before when they went back home in the present and she picked it up, and hid it. Too bad, it was already long dead and couldn’t be fixed anymore once mobile phones existed. At first, Yujin was fascinated and confused how to use such a device but as she got older — she had finally learned that the ‘thing’ was actually a phone.

 

Since Yujin knew that they were from the future, she hid it away, and never talked to anyone about it. She would sometimes open the phone just to stare at the screen, afraid to even do anything but to turn on the screen because she might destroy it or something.

 

Yujin also shared that she had a hard time explaining and lying to her older cousin, Eunbi about what happened to them. After all, she was also aware of her and Minjoo’s relationship before and supportive. In the end, until Eunbi died almost a decade ago — she also didn’t forget about them, and they casually talked about them before. The news made Minjoo sad though.

 

After a few minutes though, Minjoo noticed that Yujin was getting paler and weaker, her breathing pattern was obviously shorter than before, and she looked like she was having a very hard time.

 

“I’ll call the maid—”

 

“No. Please. Just stay.” Yujin pleaded, begging — her eyes were desperate. And with a broken heart, Minjoo obliged, staying like Yujin had asked her to.

 

That made the old woman smile though.

 

“I don’t have enough time, I know that. Even if you call the doctors, it won’t extend my stay here. So, I’m spending my remaining time with you, Minjoo-ah.” Yujin said, and Minjoo was a little bit confused, and puzzled at what she was saying.

 

And when Yujin cleared the confusion. Minjoo felt like heaven and hell crashed into her in the middle.

 

“I’m sick, Minjoo. Cancer. I just tried my best to stay alive so I can meet you for one last time.”

 

“And now that I’ve met you again. My last wish is fulfilled, I can ascend to heaven now in peace and embrace my fate. Even though I wanted to stay, my deteriorating health won’t allow me to.”

 

“So, please, Minjoo… talk with me until I can’t anymore. Stay until I can’t stay anymore. Just… be with me until the end of the day.”

 

By that point, Yujin’s wrinkly, pale hand was already weakly grasping for Minjoo’s, intertwining their fingers together, and up until to this day — their hands still fit together.

 

Minjoo’s hold around Yujin’s hand was tight but gentle, afraid to let go. Minjoo was just suppressing her tears, her urge to cry — there was no point crying. It would probably be for the best to let out the tears later, for now, she wanted to spend the last, and short time with Yujin.

 

For another few minutes, Minjoo talked about random things and this time, Yujin was silent, just smiling at her lover with those fond eyes, and her responses were all short and brief since she was mostly gasping for air and coughing. She looked paler than before but she looked satisfied and the happiest.

 

Even though Minjoo was dying inside to see Yujin like that, she continued on, talking about their memories together as they recalled, and the old woman could only chuckle.

 

Until finally, the sun that was literally blazing and blinding them started to rest, already halfway through the horizon as the bright blue sky turned dark blue with faded orange hues — Minjoo stopped talking, and Yujin, too; the former could hear the ragged breathing pattern of the woman beside her.

 

The grasp of Yujin on Minjoo’s hand kept loosening too, and the latter only just kept holding tight so their hands would remain glued, and intertwined.

 

“You told me some lies before, Joo-ah. One of them was when you told me you can’t play guitar but you’re actually good at it,” Yujin whispered, her voice was hoarse and breathless but she continued speaking. Minjoo chuckled weakly at that, biting her lower lip as she remembered her foolishness so she could be close with Yujin.

 

“But my favorite lie among them all was when you told me that you composed a song but turns out, it’s One Direction’s Little Things. I literally threw a fit when I heard the song because damn, that woman lied to me again…” Yujin added, and the both of them chuckled after that, but Yujin’s chuckle turned into a coughing mess.

 

Minjoo tried to ignore the harsh coughing, it was Yujin’s request to pardon her coughing so Minjoo obliged without a word even though it was painful for her to see the woman like this.

 

Yujin then requested with a small, weak smile on her face, “How about you sing me a song, Minjoo? I know your voice is a lullaby of mine, I’m definitely going to fall into a deep, deep slumber. Your voice is the last thing I want to hear before I sleep.”

 

Minjoo’s breath hitched, feeling tears forming in her eyes. “Of course. I can do that. For you, my love,” She whispered her response, her hands were shaking.

 

Humming, Yujin let out a low giggle beside her after hearing her reply. “Thank you, my love.” murmured the woman weakly.

 

With that, Minjoo started to sing. She sang Elvis Presley’s ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love With You’. The same song Yujin had sang to her as a confession song, and as she sang softly with a very unstable voice, she couldn’t help but reminisce about those wonderful memories that just happened months ago but decades ago to Yujin.

 

“ Wise men say

Only fools rush in

But I can't help falling in love with you

Shall I stay?

Would it be a sin

If I can't help falling in love with you?”

 

Yujin’s gentle, peaceful smile on her face didn’t fade, and she slowly scooted closer to Minjoo, even resting her head on Minjoo’s shoulder as she took a deep breath and quietly listened as her lover sang.

 

Minjoo gulped, taking a deep breath as she continued to sing. Oh, memories… before, it was Minjoo’s signature move to rest her head on Yujin’s broad shoulder as if it was her home.

 

“ Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be ”

 

“ Take my hand

Take my whole life too

For I can't help falling in love with you ”

 

Minjoo let out a shaky breath, her tears finally freely and endlessly fell down from her eyes, feeling Yujin’s warmth beside her. She could feel it, she could hear it. Yujin’s breathing was starting to go slower even more, as if she wasn’t even breathing anymore but there was still a small puff of breaths hitting Minjoo’s exposed skin on her neck.

 

Yujin was about to fall asleep any second now…

 

“ Like a river flows

Surely to the sea

Darling, so it goes

Some things are meant to be ”

 

“ Take my hand

Take my whole life too

For I can't help falling in love with you

For I can't help falling in love with you ”

 

Minjoo let out a choked sob after singing the song, she could even barely utter the last part because she couldn’t control her sobs anymore. She cried audibly, trying to feel Yujin against her.

 

She felt her world turn gray when she realized that Yujin wasn’t breathing beside her anymore. Her hand was already cold, and stiff around Minjoo’s grip. And her warmth was starting to fade, making Minjoo cold. Yujin had finally fallen into a deep slumber.

 

“Sleep well, Yujin-ah.” Minjoo whispered breathlessly, turning her head a bit to shakily press a kiss on Yujin’s crown.

 

***

 

Minjoo stayed until the burial of Yujin’s body. For three days, she stayed at the funeral without even resting or anything, she stayed beside the coffin stubbornly, eating barely. She was mourning the most.

 

A lot of people attended the funeral, after all, Yujin was a known person around the music industry, she was one of the pioneers in the field of music and theatre arts and paved a lot of ways.

 

Minjoo stayed at the grave even after Yujin was long buried, even if she was alone there, standing and eyeing the tombstone and reading what was written on it repeatedly:

 

Ahn Yujin

September 1, 1945 - November 1, 2021

 

It hurt, but it didn’t hurt much when Minjoo saw months ago on the internet that Yujin had died on her own 19th birthday.

 

And finally when the sun went down, with one last glance on Yujin’s newly made tombstone, she went to Yujin’s house. Some of her things were mostly still there, and Yujin’s loyal servant and the same old woman who greeted her when she first went to the mansion asked her if she could meet her after the burial.

 

When she stepped inside the house, the first thing she saw was her portrait again, and Minjoo didn’t even realize that there was a hand writing there at the very bottom of the portrait, saying “until forever, it’s you and will always be you. i’ll wait even if it takes a thousand years”. Obviously enough, it was Yujin’s handwriting.

 

Then, she walked a bit to the hallway, and saw the portrait of her and Yujin together. They looked so happy, and it was one of their many dates at Central Park. She couldn’t help but to smile.

 

However, her trance was broken when she heard a cough from behind. It’s Haejoo, Yujin’s most trusted worker. She was smiling at Minjoo while holding a box. Minjoo just smiled back.

 

“Here,” Haejoo softly said, handing her the box, and Minjoo, confused, still took the weighty box with her both hands. “It’s Miss Ahn’s order. She told me to give you this box after her burial. I’ll take my leave now, Miss Kim.” And with a bow, she immediately walked away.

 

Minjoo’s heart skipped a beat when she inspected the box — it looked like a normal wooden box. But she knew there was something special inside it. It came from Yujin herself after all.

 

She placed it on the small coffee table in front of the portrait, and slowly opened it, as if she was opening a treasure chest. Minjoo gasped when she saw that the box was full of notebooks — no, journals. And the first journal that was in the very top, it was the same journal that Minjoo had found in the library last year that made her fate intertwined with Yujin who was from the past. Of course, it disappeared from her own hands because Yujin lived and continued to write. And there was an envelope on top of them.

 

Minjoo took it and gently opened it, reading the content that Yujin had obviously written with teary eyes and a fluttering heart.

 

My dearest, Kim Minjoo — the woman from the future who travelled through space and time with a speed faster than light just to meet me,

 

These journals are for you. And through reading these, you can witness my journey alone with memories of you, except for the first journal; every content of that journal was about you.

 

Chaeyeon mentioned to me that you first met me because of the journal that I’ve written. So, I’ve decided to continue writing my stories even if it’s without you. Chaeyeon said you will love it very much. This is the only thing I could do anyway.

 

Okay, enough of that! Let me just tell you how much I love you. I continued loving you even though our time together was way a lot shorter than the time I’ve waited for you. Throughout, it’s still you, and no one else.

 

You’re worth the wait. You’re worth the wait even if it’s a thousand years, Kim Minjoo. I, Ahn Yujin, will foolishly and patiently wait until I get a glimpse of you.

 

Despite the odds — despite you coming from the future, and I, living in the past — we still got a chance to meet and I’ll be forever thankful that I met and loved someone like you.

 

Until the very end of me, I love you, Kim Minjoo.

 

Sincerely yours,

Ahn Yujin, the woman from the past.

 

***

 

A/N: and that’s a wrap! yasss another finished long oneshot~ and whoops. dont attack me for the ending. i’m just the writer~ HAHAHAHHAAHAH nonetheless, i hope you guys liked reading this oneshot. i know its not the happy ending yall had been expecting but… hey, at least they reunited for the last time yasss

 

okay, that’s all~! see you soon. stay safe as always and dont forget to drop a comment~