epilogue

Beyond the Pitch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N1: I am back! I give you this epilogue as a gift for surviving that long- one-shot. Yes, I am making you read another 10k lmao. As usual, there are football jargon and real football players are mentioned as side characters and extras. I hope you remember some of them from before. I apologize in advance for any mistakes.

Without further ado, here’s the final look at Wendy and Joohyun’s journey. Enjoy!

 

 

Joohyun watches from the bed as Wendy packs her suitcase. There has been a fight and one of the two footballers refuses to speak.

 

The older woman lets out a grunt, "Come on, Seungwan. You can stop ignoring me now. You don’t have to leave like this."

 

Wendy does not answer. She walks out for a while then comes back with another empty suitcase. Joohyun raises her brows, bemused of what is happening in front of her.

 

"Don’t you think that is a bit too much? Are you trying to bring our whole apartment with you?"

 

The Canadian remains quiet and continues packing her first suitcase. She looks around the dump of clothes around her, searching for something.

 

"Have you seen my favorite top?"

 

Joohyun smirks, "I am right here."

 

Wendy freezes. She stares at Joohyun, obviously flushed from the Korean’s comment. She grabs the garment that is closest to her and throws it in Joohyun's direction. The latter expertly catches it, already used to Wendy’s habits. Her smirk widens when she sees the piece that she is now holding.

 

"Is this for me?" Joohyun chuckles, waving the blue lace underwear. Wendy blushes even more and takes it back instantly. She laughs a few seconds after as she realizes what happened.

 

Joohyun walks to her girlfriend and engulfs her in a side hug. She places her chin on Wendy’s shoulder and cutely says, "I am sorry, Seungwannie."

 

Wendy playfully shakes Joohyun away from her but the other woman holds tightly to her, "You made me cry."

 

"That I did. And it was funny," Wendy wraps her arm around Joohyun’s waist and pinches her.

 

"You said you were sorry!"

 

"I am. You have to admit it was hilarious."

 

It was hilarious because their fight was so petty that it made Wendy cry. She was stressed at the sudden change of plans and when she got home, she got irritated when she saw their place really messy. She yelled at Joohyun for not tidying up when the latter was actually doing chores and was just reorganizing their stuff. Joohyun yelled back that it made the currently-sensitive Canadian cry.

 

Wendy turns her head and gives a soft kiss to Joohyun’s cheek, "I am sorry too."

 

"I know you are," Joohyun lightly kisses her lips, "We are becoming one of those couples who fights over small things."

 

Wendy shifts from Joohyun’s hold to fully embrace her, "I think it is healthy as long as we do not go overboard. It is part of living together."

 

"I agree. Just don’t kick me out."

 

"Never. You are stuck with me. But the couch is free to use whenever," Wendy giggles as she feels Joohyun’s hand lightly swatting her .

 

"Now, are you really going to pack so much stuff?" Joohyun bobs her head to the suitcases, "Your closet is almost empty now."

 

Wendy smiles sheepishly, "No. You know I hate packing late so I just dump everything."

 

The Canadian is going to leave earlier than expected to prepare for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup. Their team will be training for two weeks in Toronto before going to Tokyo for another closed training for three weeks and face the Japan’s women’s team for a friendly. It is a hectic schedule but they will be conditioning themselves with the hopes of lifting the World Cup trophy.

 

Joohyun is going back to South Korea a little later and will stay in London for another week. This will be their longest time apart since they got together almost two years ago.

 

"I am gonna miss you," Joohyun sighs as she nuzzles her face into the crook of Wendy’s neck.

 

Wendy kisses the top of her head, "Me too, Hyun."

 

"I can’t believe we are not going to see each other for two months. I suddenly hate the idea of not playing against you in the group stage even though it means we could advance easier."

 

With the new format of the World Cup, more nations are qualified to play, others are lucky to be part of a group that is easy to compete at, while some would be having a tough time even in the group stage, like the Canadians.

 

Wendy groans, shaking her head in the process, "Don't remind me. Just thinking about Italy and Brazil already makes me anxious."

 

"Don't worry too much, captain. Your current roster is one of the best teams this year. You have a big, fat chance to finally gain a star on your kit," Joohyun reassures her girlfriend, patting her cheek softly.

 

Christine Sinclair did retire last year. The captain's armband was passed from player to player at several matches. When the World Cup roster was announced, Wendy was named to be the team's co-captain, along with Desiree Scott, who is the most capped player now that Sinclair has retired.

 

Wendy releases herself from Joohyun's hold and cups Joohyun's face to give her a kiss with an exaggerated sound of smooch, "Well, before we could make that happen, I have to finish packing. Would you help me?"

 

"On one condition," Joohyun grins, her eyes evident with a teasing glint.

 

"What now?"

 

"I am keeping the underwear."

 

"Bae Joohyun!"

 

*-*-*

 

With the World Cup being held in two different countries, traveling was a hassle once again. Wendy and Joohyun haven’t seen each other for more than a month already and they missed each other real bad. When CANWNT was in Australia, the South Korean team was in New Zealand to play. When they managed to be in the same country for their own group stage matches, it was either they were too tired or too busy to see each other in person.

 

The only good thing was both footballers were sure that their teams could advance to the round of 16.

 

Despite the strong opponents, the Canadians dominated, winning their group stage.

 

Meanwhile, the Koreans were only lagging behind the defending champions, the Americans.

 

But win or lose, they would go to the next round, not losing a game since they started.

 

Except for tonight.

 

Not knowing they would be also losing something in the process.

 

--

 

Everyone inside the conference room is serious as they watch the game between South Korea and the United States. CANWNT might face the team that will win tonight in the knockout rounds.

 

Both teams scored one each before halftime.

 

And now they are battling on the pitch, literally.

 

The Americans have always been an aggressive team but they are playing dirtier tonight with their title on the line. The Koreans try their best not to retaliate every time a player from their team is being fouled.

 

"Damn, Wendy. I salute your girlfriend for being so patient and collected. Their backline is being targeted," Desiree Scott, her fellow midfielder and co-captain, comments as they see another bad play from the USWNT, "If I were her, I’d already punch one of them."

 

"Of course, you would. You are ‘The Destroyer’, you hate those dirty plays. But trust me, she is fuming inside," Wendy laughs as she observes Joohyun’s face on the screen. The Korean is frowning the entire time, walking away when a player fouls her.

 

Their coach adds her thoughts, "Americans are always ruthless when they compete at the World Cup. It almost feels like it is their defense mechanism when they can't finish their plays. Choosing to play physically instead of strategically and then winning by luck."

 

As the match continues, the Canadians study their future opponents.

 

Wendy cheers on her girlfriend and her friends in silence, remaining calm throughout the game.

 

Until she sees Joohyun on the ground, writhing in pain.

 

"What the ?!"

 

--

 

Joohyun has prided herself as a cautious footballer. As a defender, she tackles her opponents when needed, but always aiming at the ball, and not at the person.

 

The last time she was sidelined due to an injury was during her first year in Chelsea. Playing at FAWSL made her eager to compete, miscalculating her move, a player’s boot clashed with her knee. She was out of the game for three months. After that, she learned her lesson and became more careful with how she plays, for herself and for her opponents.

 

USWNT is leading. They scored with Macario’s rocket outside the 18 yard box, shocking Sooyoung on the goal. Joohyun knows that they will advance to the next round no matter what yet they won’t just stop. Leading the group stage doesn’t sound so bad at all.

 

7 minutes after the Americans’ goal and with only 12 minutes left on the clock, Joohyun decided to move forward than usual.

 

Sooyoung slides the ball to Joohyun’s feet. On a mission to find a goal faster, she bypasses their opponent’s midfield. Seeing Seulgi free at the front, she readies herself to make a cross.

 

That is when Lindsey Horan, USWNT’s midfielder, decides to intercept her. The ball is already touching Joohyun’s boot when Horan’s foot collides with Joohyun’s ankle.

 

Then Joohyun goes down, yelling in pain. The Korean captain had received fair share of fouls tonight but this one is the worst. This one feels like the one she had in Chelsea.

 

Joohyun remains lying down, her hands on her face. She subtly rotates her affected foot, wincing when the pain worsens.

 

"Unnie, are you okay?" Seulgi asks Joohyun, the latter shakes her head. Yeri and Sooyoung also run to them, helping their captain in sitting up.

 

Their team doctor comes up and checks her injury. Surveying the look on his face, Joohyun knows she is in bad shape.

 

"Okay, Joohyun. We will help you stand up. Don’t put any weight on your affected foot yet."

 

Joohyun leans to her friends as she stands up with one foot.

 

"Try putting down your other foot."

 

Joohyun does what she was told and instantly hisses. She removes her foot from the ground and leans heavily to Sooyoung. Joohyun vehemently shakes her head and shares a knowing look with the team doctor.

 

"Alright, can you walk or should we call for a stretcher?"

 

"I am good. I just need you to assist me, please."

 

Joohyun removes the captain’s armband from her bicep and turns to Seulgi, "Since Soyun is also out because of her hamstring, I guess it is your turn to wear this, Seul."

 

Seulgi nods and accepts the material, "Take care, unnie. Will see you later."

 

Joohyun turns to Yeri and Sooyoung, "Sorry for leaving early. But I trust both of you to hold the backline."

 

Her teammates pat their captain on the back before she limps out of the pitch, their team doctor assisting her.

 

The crowd gives her a round of applause. Respecting the fight she has shown throughout the match, even insisting on getting out of the pitch without lying on a stretcher.

 

--

 

Wendy lies restlessly on her bed. She is waiting for Joohyun to call her. The Korean immediately went to a hospital to get her foot checked at. Wendy was pissed when she saw how careless the challenge was that resulted in her girlfriend being injured. Her teammates were quick to calm her down when she was about to explode earlier because of her anger. For years that she knew Joohyun, she had never seen her injured. She got a little knock from time to time but that is just from playing too hard, nothing too serious.

 

Her thoughts are interrupted when her phone finally rings. She answers the FaceTime call right away, lifting the phone higher to make her face visible.

 

Wendy lets out a sigh of relief when she sees Joohyun, "Hi."

 

"Hey. I am so sorry for calling you late. I had to check with the team first. How are you?" Joohyun’s sweet yet exhausted voice fills Wendy’s hotel room, and also her heart.

 

Wendy frowns at the question, "Me? Are you serious? I am the one that can walk with my two feet," a beat, "How are you?"

 

It is obvious Joohyun is stalling but she needs to know how her girlfriend is. She watches as Joohyun situates herself better, sitting up by the headboard.

 

"World Cup no more," Joohyun states sadly, avoiding looking at her phone.

 

"What’s wrong?" Wendy’s tone changes, back to being worried and doesn’t have the heart anymore to nag the older footballer.

 

"Grade 2 sprain. I am out for more than a month," Joohyun turns her attention back to the screen, her voice wavering.

 

Wendy hates how she can’t be there in person for Joohyun. She’d love to hug her and offer some comfort. She hears sniffles from the other side of the call. Her girlfriend is trying hard not to show her emotions.

 

"Hyun…," Wendy calls her softly and asks genuinely, "How are you, honey?"

 

Joohyun shakes her head stubbornly, looking up to stop the tears threatening to roll down on her face, "I am fine."

 

"Joohyun."

 

Joohyun looks at Wendy through the phone, wishing Wendy is holding her at that moment, "I miss you."

 

"I know you do 'cause I feel the same way," Wendy offers her dimpled smile, making Joohyun smile a bit.

 

"I am fine, I think. I am going to be fine. The meds help with the pain. I will also wear a boot brace to help with the healing."

 

"But?"

 

Joohyun sighs and her lips quivering, "I feel bad."

 

"Why?"

 

"It is just that we are hoping to get further this time, me leading them. And now I got injured. I felt like I robbed my team of the opportunity," Joohyun confesses.

 

"Hey..," Wendy thinks of her answer carefully before responding, "You're still in the competition and you did great today. Being a captain is a tough job and you are too damn good at it. Give yourself some slack. Sometimes we need to let our teammates do our job and step back when we know we couldn't do it properly."

 

Joohyun remains mum, staring at her girlfriend with so much admiration.

 

Wendy becomes nervous when she doesn't reply, "Hyun..," a beat, "Okay, I might be overstepping. I mean, your team is definitely different from mine. I am just talking about my current tenure as a captain and how I see things differently now. Still, you are a great captain and you—"

 

The Canadian stops her rambling when she hears Joohyun chuckling. She didn't expect that but is delighted seeing Joohyun laugh, especially because she is the reason.

 

"God, Seungwan! You are amazing and adorable. I don't know how you do it but you make me feel so much better even though I have all these negative emotions vibrating inside of me," Joohyun says while hugging a pillow in place of her girlfriend who is on the other end of the line.

 

"I am just stating facts, Joohyun. Sometimes I wish you could see yourself how I see you. Maybe you would stop beating yourself up," Wendy shrugs, her eyes full with adoration.

 

"Wan, stop," Joohyun narrows her eyes, her cheeks flushed.

 

"Why?"

 

"Because I can't help but to fall in love with you all over again when you say stuff like that."

 

Wendy accidentally drops her phone onto her face, surprised at Joohyun's words.

 

"Owwww…"

 

"You okay there?"

 

Wendy puts back her phone while rubbing the pain from her face,, "You can't drop that kind of comment without any warning. Not good for my heart and my face."

 

Joohyun giggles, her gloomy feeling from before obviously beaten by how in love she is with her girlfriend.

 

"I am proud of you."

 

Joohyun stops giggling, tilting her head in question.

 

Wendy continues, "It that you won't be able to play anymore but that doesn't mean I am less proud of you. I am proud of you and I want you to know that and so, please be proud of yourself. Heck, Desi was right. You were cool earlier. If I experience something like that, I would throw a punch or something."

 

The Korean shakes her head in disbelief. Her girlfriend is beautiful inside and out. She is so damn lucky for having this woman in her life.

 

"I love you, Wan," Joohyun tells her genuinely and then lets out a snort, "But I don't think you could actually engage in a fight on the pitch. You are too pure."

 

The Canadian scoffs, tilting her chin up, "Hey! I am not! I am a badass."

 

"Okay okay. Not sure about being a badass. Although I am aware you have a cute ."

 

Wendy gapes, flabbergasted from what she heard from the older woman, "Joohyun!"

 

Joohyun keeps laughing, Wendy doing the same. Despite kilometers apart and not seeing each other in person, the way they can share their happiness and lessen their worries proves how much they love each other.

 

"Now, tell me everything the doctor said to you. I have to make sure you are following their orders."

 

*-*-*

 

Unfortunately, South Korea didn't advance after the round of 16, losing to England with 2-0. It was a hard loss, mostly for Joohyun, for not playing and being injured. Even though they are out, they choose to celebrate the sport and enjoy the remaining games. Joohyun and her friends decided to stay around to watch Wendy play.

 

Joohyun is currently waiting at the entrance of the stadium. Seulgi, Sooyoung, and Yeri are already inside. It is game day, the quarterfinals match of Canada versus the United States.

 

"I'm here! I'm here!" a woman wearing a CANWNT jersey who looks a lot like Wendy, jogs in Joohyun's direction.

 

"I thought you wouldn't make it. Kick-off starts in 20 minutes," Joohyun gives the woman a hug, the latter reciprocating by hugging tighter.

 

"I had to pay the cab driver triple just so he could drive faster. Seriously, I hate this ing world we are living in. My baby sister better win today or else I would ask her to pay for that ride," Son Seunghee, Wendy's older sister, complains while trying to catch her breath.

 

Joohyun first met Seunghee when she went to Canada with Wendy after winning gold at the Tokyo Olympics. It was the only break they had before Wendy had to go back to training and Joohyun had to prepare her transfer. That was why Wendy asked Joohyun to come with her.

 

Since Joohyun already met Wendy's parents, she was anxious to meet Wendy's sister who knew every detail about their relationship. Being the protective older sister, Seunghee gave her the stinky eye for an hour before interrogating her. The Korean confidently answered all her questions and proved that she loves the Canadian footballer deeply. After that, they became close, their friendship formed because of the shared love they have for Wendy.

 

Seunghee whistles as she studies what Joohyun is wearing, "Damn, Bae! Sporting my sister's jersey, huh? Already claiming her?"

 

"Shut up!" Joohyun blushes at what she is hinting at, hitting Seunghee on the arm. She looks down at her outfit. She is wearing a CANWNT red kit with number 7 and Son on the back. If she is going to support her girlfriend, might as well wear her actual jersey which she stole from her closet before embarking to the World Cup.

 

Seunghee lets out a tiny laugh. She does love teasing Joohyun and Wendy. She eyes her sister's girlfriend before asking in concern, "Can you watch 90 minutes with that boot brace? I am kind of scared that you would hurt yourself and ignore the pain. Wendy would kill both of us if that happens."

 

Joohyun moves her booted ankle, showing that she is fine, "I am good, getting better actually. Our team doctor cleared me. As long as I don't walk too much, I will be fine. Besides, there are seats inside. I won't be putting much pressure on it that way."

 

"We both know you would be standing almost the entire game," Seunghee scoffs.

 

Joohyun shrugs, "Maybe. So please remind me to stay seated from time to time. I don't want Wendy to kill us."

 

They hear an announcement that kick-off will start in 10 minutes.

 

Joohyun hands Seunghee her ticket, "Ready to see your baby sister own it out there?"

 

"Always. You will be surprised how loud I can be when I am cheering for my baby sister."

 

--

 

The people in the stadium are roaring. Different chants and yells can be heard. Mixture of red, blue, and white can be seen as the supporters of the USWNT cheer for the defending champions. Meanwhile, the majority of red are sported by the CANWNT fans, eager to see the Canadians beat the Americans once again. Their rivalry in the women’s game has been going for years and today would be another epic match in the books.

 

The CANWNT is in a huddle before their starting players go on the pitch.

 

"Remember what I keep on saying these past few days. Tough but not rough. These Americans have a winning mentality that it blinded them most of the time to playing dirty instead of actually playing the game. They will give you a hard time, for sure. You would be fouled a lot that could affect the way you play. But don't let them get into your heads. Be tough on them. Show them that you could beat them again like what you did in Japan. Play smart and soon, we will be going to the semi-finals," CANWNT's coach says her last words, lighting every desire to win on her players' hearts.

 

Everyone on the team looks at each other. They have one goal today. Don't go home.

 

Desiree Scott, who is wearing the captain's armband for today, places her hand on the middle, the others immediately following the action. Scott nods at Wendy.

 

Wendy shouts, "On three!"

 

"1!"

 

"2!"

 

"CANADA!"

 

The starters proceed to their positions on the field. The noise in the stadium becomes louder as the kick-off is about to start.

 

Wendy glances on the stands. She sees Joohyun and Seunghee with their friends. Her eyes lock with her sister's. She sends out a smile, her hand hovering over her heart, their grandmother's necklace beneath her kit. Seunghee taps her chest lightly and nods knowingly.

 

Game time.

 

--

 

"Yesssss! Nice one, Wendy!" Seunghee screams when Wendy steals the ball again from Lindsey Horan.

 

"Oh wow. She is loud," Yeri comments, looking at the woman beside Joohyun.

 

Joohyun laughs, "I know. She tried to warn me earlier. I didn't think she was being serious."

 

The whistle echoes around the stadium, signalling the end of the first half.

 

1-0, Canada.

 

"Hey, unnie," Sooyoung calls Joohyun, "We're going to the bathroom first then find more snacks. Fancy anything?"

 

"Bring more water. This woman beside me might need it later," Joohyun jokes, Seunghee rolling her eyes.

 

Seulgi leads the younger two before turning back, "Seunghee unnie, please keep an eye on Joohyun unnie. She might try to go to your sister's locker room."

 

"Hey! I won't do that!"

 

"Only because it is not allowed," Yeri points out, the other three laughing.

 

"Go before the second half starts!" Joohyun shoos her friends away but not denying that she might actually go see Wendy in the locker room if it is allowed. It's not her fault that she terribly misses her girlfriend.

 

While the trio is gone, the highlights of the first half are being shown on the jumbotron. Jooyun and Seunghee chat about how both teams are playing so far.

 

Seunghee watches the replay and nudges Joohyun, "Horan was the one who tackled you, right?"

 

Joohyun raises a brow at the question, looking at her injured ankle, "Yes. Why did you ask?"

 

Seunghee points at the giant screen while smirking, "Now it makes sense why Wendy is making Horan look like a fool the entire first half."

 

Joohyun turns her attention to the screen. She just thought Wendy was marking the American but now seeing the replay, it seemed like Wendy was playing for vengeance.

 

"Ohhh…"

 

Seunghee cackles at Joohyun's late realization before turning serious, "My sister loves you a lot, you know?"

 

Joohyun immediately blushes and answers with a dreamy tone, "I know."

 

"When are you going to ask her?"

 

If Joohyun was blushing earlier, then her face, probably her body as well, is on fire at this moment because of the question.

 

The Korean footballer looks at her girlfriend's sister, mouth opening then closing for a few times before stating, "I am not sure. After the World Cup seems like the best time. I am still planning. I have several ideas but I want it to be perfect, obviously. Seungwan deserves the best."

 

"She is going to say yes no matter what. All you have to do is ask," Seunghee encouragingly pats Joohyun on the back, "Besides, Mom and Dad might accidentally tell her one day. Knowing our mother, she probably has a planner for your wedding already."

 

Wedding.

 

Marriage.

 

Yes. Joohyun is going to ask Wendy to marry her. She has had the ring for months now. It was actually Seunghee who helped pick the ring. It was also why they became closer, learning about each other while sharing stories about Wendy.

 

When Wendy's parents visited the two footballers in London a few months ago, Joohyun secretly asked them if they would give her their blessings in marrying their youngest daughter. Not that Wendy needs their permission, it was just a sign of respect and Joohyun knew Wendy would appreciate the gesture. Wendy's parents wholeheartedly said yes and even welcomed her to their family at that instant. Joohyun even told them that she is going to visit Wendy's grandmother's grave soon when they go back to Canada, to honor her and to receive her guidance in loving her granddaughter for the rest of her life.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter