Chapter 18

All These Years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18: Promises

Vienna. November, unknown year.

“Unnie stay in bed, if you need something just tell me” Seungwan said while giving the baby monitor to Yoona

The older girl smiled tenderly at her newborn baby who was sleeping so peacefully, like she was just a normal baby with a normal beating heart.

“I’m so happy that Minjeong can survive her 3rd week. She’ll be healthy in no time”

“Hopefully” Yoona looked at Seungwan and patted the space beside her bed, signalling her to sit beside her on the bed “Let’s have a nice and comforting talk”

Seungwan scoffed. Yoona was always good with her words but she knew that it wouldn't be nice and comforting at all.

“It has been five months since I’m admitted here” the older girl said with a solemn face “I’m sorry I caused so much trouble when you already have a lot on your plate”

“No, I told you not to say that unnie”

“Still, without you, what can I do? I’m so sorry with my and minjeong’s condition” unconsciously a single tear escaped from her eyes

“I told you, you’re my family now. I will take care of you both” Seungwan held her hand “You and Minjeong will be healthy again”

“It’s brain tumor stage 4 seungwan, my chance to live is only 20% after the surgery” yoona said helplessly “I already accepted my condition but Minjeong, she’s just a baby, she deserves to live and see the world”

Seungwan still insisted, “You both will be healthy again, unnie. You’re going to undergo surgery tomorrow and it’s gonna be a success”

“Seungwan, if anything happens to me...”

“NO”

“Seungwan-ah” Yoona said softly “If anything happens to me, please take care of Minjeong”

“Unnie, you don’t have to worry” Seungwan said firmly

The older girl gave her a grateful smile “I’m sorry that I involved you in this mess. If only I knew that I’m going to die soon, I wouldn’t bring myself here”

“Unnie, stop saying you’ll die, okay? Because you’re not and please think about Minjeong, she needs you too”

“I’m sorry but you have to accept that there’s a chance that I’ll die on or after the surgery” Yoona shook her head “You heard my doctor, right?”

“Just...just don’t talk about it anymore. I don’t want to think about it”

“Fine” Yoona sighed “It's just...I feel really bad, especially to her, the girl that you like”

Seungwan's eyes widened “How did you...”

“I was awake for a while when you did a video call with her a few weeks ago. When do you plan to ask her out?”

“I don’t know if that’s possible anymore, we have been lost contact for a month now”

“A month??” Yoona gasped “But why?”

“I told her to stop waiting for me because I don’t know when I can go back to Korea. Minjeong and you are my top priority now, I can’t leave you two”

“Oh, Seungwan-ah...did she, did she know about my condition and minjeong’s? Did you tell her?”

“No”

“Why? You should’ve told her, she might misunderstand your situation”

“I tried to, but a few days after our fight, she deactivated her account. I’ve tried to call her many times but she wouldn’t pick up”

“Then you should go back to Korea and explain to her in person”

“I will, but not now unnie”

“Are you worried about leaving us? We’ll be fine, we are in the best hospital and everyone treats us with utmost care here”

“I know but I still want to be here until I’m convinced that you two are in your best condition”

“Stop being stubborn Seungwan-ah” Yoona glared at her “Go back and explain everything to her, she deserves that, you know. You promised her 2 years, so don’t let her go with all these misunderstandings”

“I’m...I’m just afraid if I go, something will happen to you. I will regret it, unnie”

“Something will happen to us with or without you, it’s not like you can take away our sickness by being here. Well, I really thank you for your support but please think about yourself too” Yoona opened her phone “I’m going to book you a ticket to Korea”

“Unnie, no...Listen, I will go back after I’m sure that you are healthy”

“And when will that be? In one year? Two years? Nobody knows and by the time I'm healthy, someone else will have already swept her off her feet. Do you want that?”

“...No”

“So you’re going back this week and you can’t come back until you resolve all the misunderstandings with her”

Seungwan just let the older girl do her thing because half of herself actually really wanted to go back, she just needed a push and Yoona did that for her.

“Done. I booked the first flight for this saturday. Don’t miss it or I’ll be so mad” Yoona rolled her eyes “Can’t believe I have to do this. You must think about your own happiness first before putting others and stop torturing the girl, she is younger than you right? You should set a good example for her. Don’t be like me, Seungwan-ah. I wasn’t a good role model to you back then”

“Let’s not talk about the past and just focus on your health and also Minjeong’s” Seungwan sighed “But thank you for giving me your insight, I need this”

“No problem, that's what a sister should do”

Seungwan smiled upon hearing this, two years in Vienna had made them a lot closer, they depended on each other like a family so Seungwan couldn’t afford to lose her.

“I have something else to discuss with you, about minjeong’s status”

“What’s with her status? She’s already registered under my name right?”

“Um, actually I still haven’t registered her yet”

“Why?” Yoona was a bit surprised, she couldn’t do the legal process so she delegated everything to Seungwan

“Let’s register a marriage with me, first”

“WHAT?” That was the loudest shout Yoona ever mustered during her stay in hospital “Why would we need to register a marriage?”

“I want her to be registered as a SON so if I married you, the process to make her legally under my name will be so much easier”

“Wait a minute” Yoona held her head

“Why? Is your heart hurting? Want me to call the doctor?” Seungwan panicked as she held the older girl’s shoulder

“No, no stay. It’s you, YOU just giving me a massive headache” the older girl sighed loudly “What the hell were you thinking?”

“I just...she has SON’s blood in her and I thought it’ll be easier to keep her from my brother if she’s mine because if she’s registered under your name, seunggi will put the pieces together”

“I get what you want to say Seungwan, but marriage? Why? You can just apply for adoption and I won’t hold back because with my condition I won’t be able to take care of her”

“I’m just...marriage is one of your dreams and I want to give that to you, like you said, there’s a chance that you won’t survive after surgery so let me fulfil it for you, so let’s register a marriage and have a small wedding to commemorate it”

“I object to this insanity” the older girl really wanted to slap Seungwan so she would get her senses back “Call my lawyer, I want to make my will right now before you can think of any other stupid things”

“Unnie, can you think about it? You deserve this, you deserve what my brother can’t give you”

“No need to think, call my lawyer”

Seungwan could only sigh in defeat and called Yoona's lawyer. She thought yoona would agree. She really wanted to fulfill her dream because deep inside, she knew, yoona’s chance to survive was very low.

The young pianist watched as yoona made a video call and explained her will loud and clear that if she doesn’t survive after her surgery or if she survives but deemed not fit to take care of her baby, Minjeong will be immediately under seungwan’s care, she will be registered under SON’s name as well through adoption. All of her remaining wealth should be immediately transferred into Seungwan’s account after she signs the legal documents.

Yoona ended her call and told her lawyer to bring the papers that she needed to sign by today.

“I am really amazed by your way of thinking seungwan” Yoona sarcastically said “Don’t ever say anything about marriage to me anymore because you should only tie the knot with someone you love. Besides, marriage is not something I want to do anymore. I’ve grown past that”

Silence

“Seungwan-ah, you’re the type that is hard to fall in love with someone and sometimes even slow to realize your own feeling, but once you’re falling, you’ll fall hard” Yoona added “I don’t want you to let her go so talk to her, explain everything and get together”

“Unnie, you literally booked a ticket for me just now” Seungwan sighed “I will explain everything to her but if she decides that I’m not worth the shot then I won’t force her”

“Just explain the reason why you had to do this, she’ll understand” Yoona added “Promise me Seungwan, you will fight for your love. Don’t make the same mistake again because you deserve to be happy”

But Seungwan kept mum, she was conflicted. She didn’t want to make Joohyun go through years of waiting anymore because she just signed an exclusive 2 years contract with Yvan. She needed money for Minjeong’s future treatment.

“This is my last wish”

“Unnie, don’t say that!”

“Promise me. I Know you want to be with her too”

...

“Besides minjeong needs a healthy mother too, and I only want her to fill my position” yoona said seriously, even though she doesn’t know who the girl is but if Seungwan likes her then she should be the best candidate as minjeong’s mom.

“Could you promise this hopeless woman? Fight for your love? Make her yours?” Yoona finally threw her trump card, to make seungwan promise her

“Unnie, you’re so persistent. Hope Minjeong won’t be like you”

“Don’t change the main conversation” Yoona slapped her arm

“Fine unnie, I promise. I will fight for her”

**

But Yoona had her last breath on Friday morning, two days after her surgery. It pinched Seungwan’s heart and broke her. She thought she wouldn't have to experience these feelings anymore, lonely and being left alone. Her only family, her sister, was gone.

Yoona was buried later that day in the cemetery near the music academy because she mentioned in her will that she wanted to be buried there, the place that made her feel happiest. The Im’s family booked a flight to Vienna right away after Seungwan delivered the news and they were expected to arrive three days after.

In 20 hours, Seungwan had to board the flight back to Korea but she was really conflicted, yes she had made a promise to Yoona but she also didn’t want to leave Minjeong alone. The baby needed her the most now. She couldn’t afford to lose Minjeong either, so with a heavy heart, she rescheduled her flight to next month.

But baby Minjeong had some complications two weeks after and it was taking all Seungwan's attention so she decided she wouldn't go back to Korea anytime soon. Minjeong was her priority, even more than herself. She finally understood Seulgi’s position as an aunt. Her friend had sacrificed a lot of things in order to take care of her nieces. She remembered how she thought Seulgi was stupid to do so but she realized now that she was the one who was stupid and incosiderete. Back then she only thought about herself and her well beings.

So...she didn’t want to put Joohyun through the same things again. She didn’t want to promise her something that she wasn’t sure she could fulfil. She still owed her an explanation and she wished one day she would be able to tell her.

**

Present day

“Mommy...”

“MOMMY!” minjeong shook her mother’s body

“Huh?” Seungwan woke up from her trance “What?”

Minjeong pouted angrily “You’ve ignored me”

“Aigoo, sorry Minjeong-ah. Mommy was reminded of something”

“Excuse, excuse. I want to go to the amusement park now!”

Her mother frowned “No young miss, you cannot go now”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter