CHAPTER 1

HEAR HER SONG (COMPLETED)

The quiet patter of rain against the hood of the dark green pickup truck filled the uncomfortable silence. The small cabin held just a bench seat, forcing the pair to suffer in close quarters next to each other. A Pendleton blanket was stretched over the truck bench, holes cut into the fabric allowed the seat belt buckles through. Hanging from the mirror was a beautiful clear crystal; behind it, a dream catcher beaded with reds and golds. The beaded piece felt familiar and Niylah could recall it hanging from a previous car's mirror.

The entire ride from the airport felt weighed down with a heavy fog of awkwardness. Even for Niylah, who normally had no trouble holding a conversation, struggled to add anything beneficial. What was she supposed to say to a man – her father – she hadn't seen in years? Aside from the occasional birthday card or phone call, she rarely kept in contact with him.

“Have you thought about which school you're going to after you graduate?”

Niylah had her attention focused out the passenger side window as she watched the cedar trees blur past her view. The rain clouds hung overhead, darkening the late afternoon sky and making the world outside seem cold and distant. It was just as her mom described it – cold, wet and, suffocating. Large mountains blocked the view of most of the sky and the sun was often blotted out by ominous storm clouds. Whatever wasn't blocked by towering peaks was pinned up against threatening waves, the sea spreading out into the never-ending horizon. The air was pungent with the asphyxiating stench of fish and saltwater. Siren's Bay was a stark contrast to the city life she led in Colmoore; skyscrapers replaced mountains and a bright, open sky replaced the drowsy rain. Niylah was already missing her home, but she had agreed to spend the summer with her father before finishing her senior year.

“You know, there's a great university in the city nearby. Have you thought about what you're going to take?”

She had to give him points for trying despite her quiet.

“I was thinking about applying to UCol,” Niylah admitted, keeping her gaze on the world buzzing by.

“You liked animals when you were young. You even wanted to become a marine biologist! They have an awesome program nearby.”

Finally, she tore her gaze to look at the man, her father. Tom had aged a lot since she last remembered. Her mom didn't keep many pictures of him so she had based her vision of him off on what little she knew. His hair was covered by a faded black cap with the words Siren's Bay Marina printed in white on the front, but Niylah could see that his short, dark brown hair was now swept back and pieces of grey peeked out from the sides. His once clean-shaven face but was now covered by a trimmed, salt and pepper beard and mustache. His tanned skin wrinkled near his dark eyes, revealing years of smiling. Niylah wasn't sure whether she was glad he found happiness, in some way, over the decades or if the thought made her bitter. Definitely the latter.

“I haven't wanted to be a marine biologist since I was eight.” She hadn't meant for her tone to come out so accusatory, but she could tell by his recoil that she had struck a nerve. A tinge of guilt tugged at her core but she turned away, choosing to ignore it.

She didn't mean to be so hostile, but years of resentment had built up like a layered shield. This man was her father, but she never knew him as her dad. She knew it wasn't his fault that the divorce failed. While her mom wanted to leave the small, fishing town of Siren's Bay, for bigger and brighter things, Tom had stayed to take care of his ailing parents. Niylah knew they attempted to salvage their marriage, but the distance had proved to be too strenuous and resulted in their divorce. She didn't know if she could blame her mother. Siren's Bay seemed to be the same as her six-year-old brain could remember. Small, suffocating and, unwelcoming. She longed for the city she left behind, but she knew she just had to get through the summer. Then, it'd be smooth sailing through her senior year before she could escape to her university campus.

 

The pair drove in silence through the town's center. Small shops that littered both sides of the street and Niylah could make out a few buildings; Seaside Books – a quaint little building with a neon OPEN sign lit up beneath the words 'internet' and 'coffee', Oceanview Motel – a stereotypical L-shaped building with a bright sign out front, The Sand Dollar – a shop advertising ice cream and tourist memorabilia.

Just as she was scanning for more interesting stores, they pulled into a parking lot. The ocean provided a bleak backdrop behind the building. The Siren's Tail was printed above the door. Beneath it 'BAR & GRILL' was written in large font.

“Why are we stopping?”

Tom opened the door, the hinge protesting with a creaky groan.

“I wasn't able to go grocery shopping so we're gonna have to eat out tonight.” Tom shut the whining door, leaving Niylah no choice but to follow after him. Something told her that eating out was the norm for him.

They entered the bar and were greeted by numerous people; groups sitting in booths, men and women sitting at the bar, wait staff. Tom led her to a booth nestled against a window. She slid into the seat and was instantly handed a menu by one of the waitresses.

“Good to see you, Tom. I'll get you a coffee. Would you like anything?” The waitress directed her gaze towards Niylah.

“Water, please.”

“Thanks, Dottie,” Tom said with a smile, shrugging off his jacket.

She nodded her head as she brushed past a man heading towards their table, offering him a pleasantry as he passed. The man was dressed in uniform, dark pants and, a rain jacket with the Siren's Bay Police Department logo crested on the shoulder.

“Afternoon, Tom,” the officer greeted. His blue eyes turned into half-moons as he smiled. His hair was stunningly white and his face was aged by decades of labor in the sun. He had his thumbs tucked in his utility belt.

“Sheriff Busby,” Tom returned the greeting as Dottie slid his mug of coffee. She set a glass of ice-cold water in front of Niylah. Tom grabbed a packet of sugar and dumped it into his coffee. “How are you this evening? Hope it's been quiet.”

The sheriff didn't seem to like the question. His brows furrowed slightly and his jaw tensed. “Same old, same old.” By the way he gave Tom a knowing look, Niylah figured there was a deeper meaning behind that. He seemed to notice Niylah sitting quietly on one side of the booth, a welcome distraction. “And who's this lovely lady?”

Niylah offered him a small smile, but Tom took the pressure of answering off her.

“You remember my daughter, Niylah, don't you?” Tom looked over the table to smile at her.

Despite having no knowledge of this man, he seemed to remember her. “Of course I do! You were only this big last time I saw you!” Sheriff Busby held his hand up to his mid-thigh.

She didn't know what to do other than smile awkwardly. This was only further confirmation that it had been far too long since she'd last seen her father.

“Well,” sensing the obvious sensitive subject, Sheriff Busby took a step back. “I'll let you enjoy your dinner. You guys enjoy your night.” He stepped back, heading towards the door. “It's good to see you again, Niylah. Don't be a stranger.”

“I won't,” she gave him a polite smile as he exited the building.

Niylah sipped on her glass of water to busy herself.

Dottie had set a pair of menus on the edge of the table. Tom made no move to grab one, already knowing what he was going to order. Niylah grabbed the menu and looked it over, painfully aware of the heavy silence again.

Tom looked up from his coffee. “Sorry if it's overwhelming. I know it can be kind of uncomfortable having people talk to you as if you're supposed to remember them.”

Niylah nodded her head slowly. She lowered the menu to meet his gaze. “It can be. I just don't remember much.”

Tom pressed his lips together in a firm, white line. “I'm really sorry about that, Niy. I never wanted to keep you away from here – away from me.” The man let out a defeated sigh.

Niylah gave him a sympathetic smile, but she didn't know how to respond.

Picking up on that, Tom ducked his head. He fixated on the coffee instead. “Enough about that. You're probably starving. Let's just eat first.”

The plane ride had been exhaustively long and the mid-flight snacks weren't satisfying as her stomach growled hungrily in agreement. Food first sounded ideal.

 

The rest of dinner had been bearable. Mouths full of food allowed for scarce conversation and it made it easier to get through the evening. The ride home had been short as well. The bar and grill wasn't too far from Tom's house and Niyah was grateful when the truck pulled up to the familiar white home. A nostalgic part of her brain was unlocked as she looked at the home. Half of it was nestled into the hillside while the other half was situated on some stilts. A small smile tugged on the corners of her lips as she looked at it. She could recall running through a sprinkler in the front lawn. This was years ago, of course.

“Your room is still the same,” Tom interrupted her thoughts as he climbed out of the truck and pulled her suitcase out from the truck bed. “The bed was upgraded though. I hope you don't mind.”

“No,” Niylah said. “It's fine.”

Tom led her inside and the overly nostalgic scent of saltwater and musk invaded her senses. Everything was just as she remembered. Niylah took her suitcase from him and wheeled it down the hall to her old bedroom. She opened the door and peered inside. That, too, was just as she remembered. Old toys were tucked in the open closet, pictures of her family plastered the walls. Even her old drawings were pinned up still. Her bed had definitely been upgraded. She had graduated from a toddler's bed to a queen-sized bed. A light blue blanket was tucked neatly over the bed. Everything was neat and organized. Although he was a bachelor, Tom was far from the stereotypical mess. She could recall her mother complaining about how tidy he was.

“I hope everything's okay.”

Niylah turned around to see Tom in the doorway.

“Sorry,” he grimaced. “I'll learn to knock.”

“It's fine. It's perfect.” She grabbed her suitcase and began to unpack. “Thanks.”

Her answers seemed curt in her head, but she was hoping it wasn't coming off that way. She was grateful Tom had been kind enough to change her bed. She kind of imagined cramming herself into a toddler-sized bed.

“Good,” he smiled. “It's been a long day so I'll let you rest. If you need me, I'm just down the hall. Bathroom is across from you.”

“I know,” Niylah reassured him. “I remember.”

“Right.” Tom nodded awkwardly. “Good night, Niy.”

“Night.”

 

He left Niylah to finish unpacking and she did. She had managed to cram whatever she could to survive a summer here. Fortunately, it fit in her drawers.

As soon as she was done, Niylah had changed into something comfortable. The room was unused and stuffy so she opened the window a crack before climbing onto the bed and getting cozy. It was like all of the events from today had hit her like a wall of bricks. She opened her phone to text her mom that the night had gone alright, but her lids felt heavy.

Deciding this was a losing battle, Niylah set her phone on the bedside table and closed her eyes. Her body felt like she was on a boat, moving with the waves. Sleep threatened to crash down on her and she was willing to let it. A euphonious melody wafted through her window, curling around her in a soothing embrace. Niylah didn't have the energy to ponder over it before drifting off to sleep.