C5: A New Dilemma

I Can Fly The Sky
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As the girl picked up another shuttlecock, she was still oblivious to the bewildered group standing at the entrance, all gawking at her like she was a savior that just descended from the heavens.

But considering their situation they had a justified reason to act like it anyways, after all, they were coldly rejected time and time again by the students they approached for the past few days, and now when their spirits were painfully down low it's even almost hitting rock bottom, they just happened to walk in on someone who's not just a potential candidate for the newest member of the girls' badminton team, but also someone who clearly knew how to handle a racket well.

They think even the word well was an understatement. They only knew a handful of people who could do jump smashes like how the girl just did, and they personally knew and experienced firsthand how hard and long it would take for a player to practice before being able to do the said skill, let alone being able to do it with insane control and strength. So how did she even manage to execute that jump smash? And on her own at that.

If she was capable of an attack that powerful and fast, they wondered what else she could do.

Like hell they were gonna let this girl go, since the school year started she was the first person they saw playing badminton aside them. The blonde captain had already decided that she was going to be the perfect addition to the team, especially after seeing her potential. Now the only thing left to do is to convince her.

They all glanced at each other, all thinking the same thoughts.

But on the side, Yerim wasn't able to hold it much longer causing her voice to suddenly break through the silence just as the stranger threw the shuttlecock in the air.

"Uh, excuse me?"

The addressed girl turned to look at the new voice, her small eyes suddenly growing impossibly wide as she now noticed their presence. The girl stood there, frozen in place, until the shuttlecock she threw in the air just mere seconds ago landed back on the top of her head, causing her to snap out of her own stupor with a flinch due to the sudden contact.

It was silent for a few seconds, with them only staring at each other in shock and confusion, but that was only until the now more composed girl averted her gaze and retreated back to one of the benches nearby, putting her racket back in a black sports bag before facing them properly for the very first time.

"I apologize for intruding here without consent." The girl started in an apologetic voice. "Though this is the badminton club's gym right?"

You'd probably think that Seungwan was going to be the first one to snap out of it, but the blonde girl was too busy crying in glee in the inside that Yerim was the first one to nod her head furiously, the others mirroring her actions not long after.

"Yes! I mean no! Well—" Yerim paused and cleared , gathering herself first to not let her excitement be seen evidently. "What I mean is yes, this is our gym, or at least for the time being."

"Oh," The nameless girl showed a small smile. "That's a relief then."

"If it's not too much, can we ask what your name is?" Seungwan suddenly blurted out, causing the others to secretly snort at her eagerness.

On the contrary though, this only caused the taller girl to slightly raise an eyebrow at Seungwan's sudden question, but her lips easily tugged up into a nonchalant smile not a second later anyways much to the blonde's relief.

"It's not a bother really," The girl's calm voice told them. She dug her hands into her hoodie's pockets as she approached the group, because why were they even talking with that big of a distance between them. As she reached the small bunch, she immediately bowed her head, causing the badminton players to do the same.

"The name's Kang Seulgi by the way."

"Nice to meet you Kang Seulgi-ssi, mine is Son Seungwan." Seungwan extended a hand which Seulgi shook. Internally she was patting herself on the head for remaining calm.

As the opportunity presented itself, Seungwan took a second to really take in her appearance because she realized that they haven't seen this face in the campus before. Now with a much smaller distance between them, it was only then that the blonde girl noticed the fading red scratches that adorned the taller girl's smooth face. She didn't know where those came from, and decided not to question it despite her curiosity.

Seungwan noted that Seulgi had this whole nonchalant vibe radiating off her. She had intimidating monolid eyes, but right now it curved in a way that she just looked relaxed and easy, and this was something the captain was thankful for because then she wouldn't be that nervous about recruiting her.

"Are you new here? I don't think we've seen you here before." Seungwan asked just for the sake of it.

"Yeah, I'm kind of new to KNSU." Seulgi confirmed politely as her hands rested on her side.

"No wonder." Seungwan mused, but then she suddenly thought that this was the perfect time to say what they've been mutually meaning to ask Seulgi since they laid their eyes on her. "But um..."

Seungwan turned to glance at her friends, and at this the rest of the club gave her nods of approval as if to show her support and to prompt her to finally ask the girl to join the team, because by then they'll be a step closer to their goal.

The captain faced her again. "There must be a reason why you're here, are you perhaps interested in joining the team?"

A split second. Seungwan would've missed it if she wasn't paying close attention to her, but she swore she saw a glint of indifference flash through Seulgi's eyes for a split second. Now whatever that was almost caused her to hesitate because indifference was the complete opposite of the polite and easy attitude the taller girl's been showing them.

Seulgi refused to meet their eyes as she answered immediately, her voice jumping an octave lower, "I'm sorry, but I don't plan on joining your team."

To the badminton club's surprise, her face showcased not a single emotion this time, and her voice was oddly not apologetic at all. It was rather concrete and certain, as if she didn't leave any room for any more argument.

But Seungwan did so anyways.

"Why not? I mean you were playing just a few seconds ago." The blonde captain said as a matter-of-factly.

Seulgi's right eye twitched, but Seungwan was too determined to back down now. She stared at the taller girl as if demanding her for an answer, meanwhile the others at the back waited with bated breaths of anticipation.

A tense second passed by and they watched as Seulgi took a deep inhale, and eventually an equally heavy exhale. Her face relaxed back to her previously calm expression as if she just snapped herself out of something, but it was clear that she was a little uneasy now.

"I'm sorry but I really can't, I'm just here to accompany my younger sister," Seulgi sighed. "She's the one

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter