Warmth

Warmth

Note: The song mentioned below is Yesung’s Paper Umbrella.


 

 

It’s raining outside.

Yesung turns his head and watches the raindrops splatter on the closed glass windows, the liquid flowing downwards endlessly and giving off a gentle, timeless rhythm.

At that moment, Hyukjae hums a song — a familiar one — under his breath, his tone soft yet loud enough for Yesung to hear in the quiet room. Yesung’s head swivels his way, and there’s a small smile on his face that’s threatening to break out into a wide grin.

“I thought you don’t like this song?” Yesung asks, voice light and teasing.

Hyukjae’s gaze lifts towards him, and there’s a glint of amusement in his eyes. His soft humming pauses, and he stretches out his arms languidly like a cat.

“I don’t,” Hyukjae answers, “but it pops in my head every now and then.”

Yesung an eyebrow. “Is that supposed to be a flattering remark, or...?”

Hyukjae snickers. He presses his legs together and cuddles himself further on the sofa, seemingly trying to fight off the growing cold that’s seeping in the room.

“Whenever it rains, I always think of you,” Hyukjae says, his tone lowering slightly. “For me, hyung is... hmm...”

After a small pause, he continues again, this time with a softer voice.

“For me, hyung is like a light spring rain.”

Yesung smiles again, but his mind is now a bit distracted at the sight of Hyukjae wearing a thin, sleeveless shirt and cotton shorts. He darts his gaze across the room, trying to see if he can spot a stray blanket somewhere. To his dismay, there is none.

“What do you mean by that?” Yesung asks.

Hyukjae closes his eyes. “Nothing much. Just that... a light rain reminds me of hyung’s gentleness... and hidden sadness...” he mutters, voice a little tired and husky.

Yesung frowns a bit. “Hyukjae,” he says softly, “aren’t you cold?”

“Mm? A little...”

“You should change into something warmer,” Yesung tells him. “And get some blankets from the room, too. You look like you’re trying to resist a shiver.”

“I’m fine,” Hyukjae assures sleepily.

“...Are you, really, or are you just too lazy to get up?” Yesung deadpans.

Hyukjae cracks open one eye and grins a little. “Hyung knows me too well~”

Yesung shakes his head. “You are such a kid.”

“Then come hug me if you’re so worried.” Both of his eyes are open now. Hyukjae grins mischievously and opens his arms for an embrace, scooting further into the sofa to make room for his boyfriend.

Yesung scoffs good-naturedly. “As if I’m gonna cuddle with someone who’s about to turn to ice. No way, mister.”

Hyukjae’s grin changes into a deep pout. “Hyung is so mean,” he complains.

“And I’ll be even meaner if you don’t move that lazy of yours and get yourself some warmer clothing,” Yesung says flatly, folding his arms across his chest.

Hyukjae’s arms drop back to his sides. “Never mind then, I’ll just go to sleep,” he murmurs, shutting his eyes once more.

Yesung almost curses out loud. “You lazy little monkey — hey, get up!”

“Noooo,” Hyukjae responds, still not opening his eyes. “I’m sleepy. I don’t wanna move.”

“You won’t be able to sleep well if you’re cold,” Yesung points out.

“Nah, it’s fine, my body adjusts well to the cold,” Hyukjae says sunnily.

Yesung barely restrains himself from committing a possible homicide.

“...Hah, really, this bastard,” he swears, getting up from his seat and taking off the thick sweater he’s wearing. “I spoil you too much.”

Hyukjae’s eyes snap open from Yesung’s words and he’s about to laugh aloud when his vision is suddenly obstructed by an unknown material that drapes across his face.

Hyukjae sits up in alarm and takes it in his hands. “Huh? This...” He raises his head and sees Yesung striding towards the direction of their bedroom, now missing the wool sweater he’d been wearing over his shirt earlier. “Hyung?? Where are you going?”

Yesung pauses in his tracks for a moment to turn his body towards Hyukjae. “To the room,” he says dryly, “to get the blankets for keeping you warm, Your Majesty.”

The words take only a brief time to process inside Hyukjae’s head before he bursts into a laugh.

“Hyung really loves me so much~” he calls out in a sing-song voice even as Yesung disappears into their bedroom, haphazardly pulling on the sweater his lover just gave him. “Thank you, Yesung-hyung!”

When Yesung soon comes back with a bundle of blankets, Hyukjae laughs again and stretches out his arms as though asking for a hug.

“Hyung is the best!” he keeps praising, puckering his lips and making a kissing sound.

Yesung ignores him and plops all the blankets on Hyukjae’s body, feeling a small sense of satisfaction at the sharp, surprised exhale Hyukjae emits.

“Meanie,” Hyukjae mutters, pouting a little as he tries to unfold the blankets. His current position is a bit difficult for the task, so he grumbles as he eventually relents and sits up on the sofa, trying his best to wrap every blanket around his body.

Yesung, on the other hand, just watches him struggle, an overly satisfied smile on his face as he internally applauds himself for making his lazy boyfriend move and do things himself.

The quiet room is now occasionally filled with Hyukjae’s small, frustrated groans as he takes out one blanket after another and stretches them out to reach his toes. He bends over and curls the material inside, tucking them behind the soles of his feet for maximum warmth.

Now satisfied, Hyukjae lets his body fall back against the sofa, yelling out a contented noise.

“Gah! Finally!” he exclaims. He turns his head towards Yesung, feigning an affronted expression. “Hyung is so mean. You didn’t help me even once.”

“That’s what you get for being a lazy ,” Yesung shoots back, gaze occupied on the screen of his phone. “Now shut up and take a nap or something.”

Hyukjae frowns, about to sulk, but then quickly decides against it for something far better.

Scooting more against the back of the sofa, he pats the empty space beside him, intentionally making a loud sound so that Yesung can hear it.

“Hyung, come here,” Hyukjae says.

Yesung sends him a glance. “Why?”

“Just come here.”

“And if I say no?”

“Hyuuuung,” Hyukjae whines. “Please?”

Yesung rolls his eyes and walks over, placing his phone in his pocket and looking down at his boyfriend with arms folded across his chest. “What is it now?”

Hyukjae again pats the empty space beside him. “Here. Lie down here,” he urges.

Yesung smiles, and his voice contains a teasing note. “A little clingy today, aren’t we?” He shakes his head. “No thanks, buster. You’ve already hogged all the blankets to yourself. If you think I’d just lie down there with you while I tremble from the cold…”

“Ah, hyung, what kind of person do you think I am?” Hyukjae complains. “There’s plenty of space under here.” To point this out, he lifts the tucked blankets from the side of his body and implores his boyfriend to come inside quickly.

Yesung finally relents, cuddling close to Hyukjae and tucking the blankets under his skin. It now feels like he’s being wrapped in a cocoon.

“Geez, I can’t even move freely in here,” Yesung mutters.

“I thought you’d be happy just to lie beside me,” Hyukjae sulks.

“I’ve lied down next to you about a thousand times in my life already, I’m already used to it,” Yesung deadpans as he shifts on his side to directly face his boyfriend. “There’s no excitement to it anymore,” he adds, grin stretched so wide that it’s plainly obvious he’s just teasing.

“Hey! Why are you being so mean to me today?” Hyukjae complains, sulking further.

“Because it’s raining, and because you deprived me of my alone time,” Yesung answers without even missing a beat.

“Wow, I see,” Hyukjae says sarcastically, and the deepening pout on his face almost makes Yesung want to laugh out loud. “Wah, seriously… Hyung must not love me anymore, huh?”

“What are you talking about, you fool?” To punish him, Yesung reaches out and pinches the younger’s nose, earning him a satisfying ‘Owww!’ from the latter. “Have you already forgotten who gave you tons of blankets to keep you warm just now? And my precious sweater, too? And you dare say I don’t love you anymore?!”

Ouch! Nghh… stop, stop! Okay, okay!” Hyukjae gives up quickly, finding it hard to breathe, patting his hyung on the shoulder repeatedly to signify his surrender. “I’m sorry! I was wrong…”

“Good.” Taking pity on him, Yesung lets go and ruffles his hair affectionately. “Little brat,” he says fondly. “I love you more than anything else in the world, so don’t ever even think otherwise.”

The sudden confession turns Hyukjae’s ears and cheeks pink. “Yeah, o—okay…” he mumbles, averting his gaze towards the space between their bodies. Suddenly, the room feels a lot warmer than usual.

“And you’re cute when you’re embarrassed,” Yesung adds, his amusement growing as he watches the redness creep towards Hyukjae’s neck. “Now it’s your turn. Do you love me?” He moves closer, teasingly exhaling hot breath against his lover’s forehead. “Show me how much you love me.”

Hyukjae represses a shiver. The coldness he initially felt is now completely gone, replaced with a warmth that keeps growing by the second. He reflexively lifts his arm to wipe off the sweat that’s suddenly produced from his brow.

Yesung laughs, and Hyukjae’s embarrassment increases tenfold.

“You’re really having fun teasing me today,” Hyukjae points out in defeat.

“These times are the only opportunities I get to take revenge, after all,” Yesung says smugly. “Do you know how many times I wanted to smack you whenever you made fun of me in the waiting room? You’re lucky you can run faster than me!” he adds, pinching the younger’s cheek in retaliation.

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry!” Hyukjae relents, grabbing Yesung’s hand and pulling it away from his face. Pouting, he reaches out and hugs the older man by the waist, pressing his lips on the skin of Yesung’s neck.

Hey, not there!” It’s now Yesung’s turn to complain as he wriggles in his position uncomfortably. “You know I’m ticklish there, you brat!”

Hyukjae hides an evil grin. “Exactly~!” he replies in a sing-song voice, expelling his warm breath on Yesung’s neck.

Yesung trembles all over in response, skin tingling and fingers shaking as he tries to move away from his lover. “Hey!” he whines when he feels his movements being impeded.

Hyukjae grips Yesung by the waist with surprising strength, refusing to let the latter go. He moves his face even closer and plants soft kisses all over his hyung’s sensitive spots, smiling triumphantly in-between when he hears Yesung’s cute, responsive giggles.

“Aish, this punk!” Yesung can’t help laughing as Hyukjae doesn’t stop, the latter now resorting to planting big, open-mouthed kisses on his neck. “I s—swear, if you d—don’t stop this instant—!”

Hyukjae doesn’t listen and now switches over to the other side of Yesung’s neck, his kisses increasing through time just to hear more of his lover’s beautiful laughter.

The rain hasn’t stopped, and the cold is still seeping into the room, but the atmosphere is bright and lively as the two of them continue teasing each other, hugging and then kissing back until they’re completely exhausted from laughing.

“...Hey,” Yesung finally speaks tiredly as his panting subsides. “You bastard… you made me miss my weekend sports show.”

Hyukjae hugs him tightly, pressing his face against Yesung’s chest. “You can just watch the rerun,” he mutters, voice muffled against the older’s shirt. “Just stay here with me for today…”

Yesung sighs, but there’s a distinct fondness on his expression as he cups Hyukjae’s cheek and gently lets their gazes meet.

“See, this is how much I love you,” he whispers.

“...Is that supposed to be a compliment?” Hyukjae frowns, mock-glaring at him. “Comparing me to your favorite show?”

Yesung laughs, and it seems to fill the room and make Hyukjae’s heart flutter. “Just kidding.”

He levels their faces and presses a kiss on the younger’s lips.

“Remember, you’re more important to me than anything else in the world.”

Hyukjae smiles brightly, his gums showing adorably. “Me too!” he chirps.

"No, you’re just a copycat,” Yesung tells him, smacking him lightly on the head.

“Ah, hyung!” Hyukjae protests. “Why do you keep hitting me?”

“Because you’re always being an idiot,” Yesung responds calmly.

“I’m not an idiot…”

“Oh really?” Yesung smiles. “Then come give me a kiss.” He puckers his lips into a small pout.

Hyukjae sputters, ears turning bright red. “So suddenly??”

“Yes. Now hurry up.”

“What’s the connection of this to what I said about me being an idiot?” Hyukjae almost stutters.

“Nothing, really. I just suddenly want a kiss,” Yesung replies cheerfully.

Hyukjae’s eyes go wide and his cheeks turn crimson. “G—Geez, this hyung, really…” He chuckles though and tucks a stray hair behind Yesung’s ear before slowly moving in, pressing their lips together.

What Yesung initially expected as a peck turns longer as Hyukjae shuts his eyes and deepens the kiss, his mouth warm and eager, hand lifting to cup the older’s cheek. Yesung responds with an amused smile and follows the rhythm, humming in appreciation from time to time.

By this time, the rain has already stopped, and sunlight begins to stream through the windows, brightening the interior of the room.

Hyukjae’s soft voice fills the atmosphere, and his words warm Yesung’s heart.

“For being with me…” He grasps his lover’s hand and lets their fingers intertwine. “Always, thank you… and I love you.”



 

fin