Devil XIII

Devil Confrère
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A short chapter before we go to the ! (pun intended)

***

 

“YOU LOOK BETTER,” Jaebeom commented, stuffing a piece of bread into his mouth. In the background, an ongoing flurry came from employees in quest of allaying their hunger at the canteen. Indistinct chatters overlapped with one another.

Mark sent a brief look to the subunit head while biting his apple pie. “Thanks?”

“Yeah, the last few days, or should I say weeks, you were so, I don’t know how to call it, angry? But not really? Broody? Like you have something you want to let out but can’t?”

That’s pretty spot on. One day he’d write a praise note to Jaebeom for being an observant leader. “Just some stress,” he said nonchalantly. He’s over that. Whatever that period was, he’s over it. There’s no use dwelling on something that would never happen. Jinyoung already made it clear that he couldn’t leave his girlfriend. He would not leave Minjoo. For whatever reason. If they had to be buddies then be it. He didn’t mind. Never had one so this was new. He’d ride the wave if he had to. 

He read it somewhere that men could compartmentalise and could see as more of an act of desire without emotion. The men who slept with men or women they'd friend-zoned did it without attachment, as they could enjoy the act without always getting emotionally attached. As a man himself, he could attest to that. He had a fair share of flings. It’s not like he intentionally did it without emotion. Or intending to hurt someone’s feeling because every occasion had an unwritten consent that it’d be just and nothing more. Much as that, what he had with Jinyoung right now was no different.

“Jinyoung will attend the convention, by the way,” Jaebeom informed.

“I know.”

“He told you?”

“Kind of.”

“Hm, you guys are sharing info now?”

“Yes, we do.” They were friends. No one felt friend-zoned because they’re meant to be friends only, perhaps with some spices along the way. No one got hurt.

“Oh, great. I thought I would have to see you guys fighting like cats and dogs for the rest of my time here.”

Mark shrugged. “I never started it.”

“I know, I know.” Jaebeom laughed. “It’s Jinyoung. Which was a bit baffling to me that you guys are suddenly friends.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“Nothing!” The subunit head quickly waved his hand. “Whatever you guys chose to be, I'm backing it, okay?”

Well, that’s mildly comforting. At least if hell ever broke loose he had Jaebeom for backup. But no hell would break loose, rest assured. “Yeah, man, thanks.”

“So your friend from ia is coming?”

“Ah, yes, Declan. He’d be here for the event. I’ll pick him up on Sunday.”

“Cool.”

“You should meet him. He’s a fun guy to hang out with! He’s a cat guy like you.”

Jaebeom’s perked up at the speed of light. “I’d love to meet him!”

“Haha, I knew you’d wanna meet him. I think he’ll appreciate it if I bring someone from the office to chill one evening. He always wanted to meet friends from our office.”

“Count me in, man!”

“Hi, guys.” A lovely deep voice jumped in Mark and Jaebeom’s conversation.

Jaebeom’s eyes sparked alive. “Ah, Jinyoung!”

Mark shook his head at the overhyped reaction.

Jinyoung stood at the side of their table with a food tray in his hands, looking gorgeous in a light grey suit and a white shirt. Had he ever not looked gorgeous, though? “Do you mind if I sit here?”

“You don’t mind, right Mark?”

Mark glanced at Jaebeom, who grinned widely from ear to ear. “No. Go ahead.”

Jinyoung sent them a winsome smile, setting the tray on the table and sitting next to him. Pleasant perfume swam into his nostrils gloriously. “What are you guys eating?”

“Apple pie,” he answered. “You want some?” Huh, when did the tips of Jinyoung’s ears become that red?

“N-no, thanks.”

“I got stuffed bread if you’re still interested in knowing.” Jaebeom chimed in.

“Of course I am, I asked you both.” Jinyoung looked down on his tray.

“Pasta salad?” Mark asked, tilting closer to Jinyoung.

“Yes…”

“So, Mark, tell me when we’re gonna hang out with Declan, okay!” Jaebeom rose to his feet, picking up his tray.

“Where are you going?” He couldn’t just leave them alone!

“I’m done with my lunch. And unlike you, single , I have a boyfriend, who has been nagging me for a video call since fifteen minutes ago. I can’t do a video call with so many people around! Where’s the privacy, tsk tsk.”

“You have a boyfriend?”

“Yes, his name is Youngjae. Wait, I told you about him before!” Jaebeom exclaimed. He’s working at the Tax Accountant Office in Newark.”

“TMI, but okay, congrats I guess.”

“Thanks. See ya love birds!” The subunit head dashed off from the table, and Mark could hear him cackling. 

“Wha—”

“Ignore him,” Mark mumbled, out of the blue feeling hyper-aware of how close they were sitting together on the canteen bench. Jinyoung’s bulky arms touched his own. “I-is it good?”

“Huh?”

“The pasta salad,” he clarified. He expected Jinyoung to answer yes or no, or maybe a faint bob of his head. But certainly, he didn’t expect a spoonful of pasta salad delivered to his mouth.

“Try it,” Jinyoung suggested, smiling.

Mark’s shoulder froze. What’s with this sudden cute display of affection??! There were people around for god sake! Minjoo could be somewhere in this canteen!

“Open your mouth, aaah…”

Ah, people. He let that spoon slide past, humming at the taste of cheese blended with the crisp of vegetables. The al dente pasta's flavour flooded in his taste bud. “It’s good.”

Jinyoung chuckled. “Swallow your food first.”

Mark’s face heated up, not used to this kind of situation, especially with Jinyoung. Good thing the latter went back to his plate, so he didn’t see him looking red like a strawberry.

“Jaebeom knows Declan?” Jinyoung asked without looking, spooning the meal into his mouth.

“Oh, he didn’t. Not exactly, I just told him. I have a hunch that they will click since both are cat lovers. Indeed, he’s onboard as soon as I mention the cat.”

“You guys will hang out together?”

There was a slight tension in Jinyoung’s tone, but Mark dismissed it. “I mean, why not?”

“Can I join?”

He eyed his coworker, who hadn’t looked in his direction since he fed him earlier. “If you don’t like being around Declan then you don’t have to.”

“I never said I don't like being around him.”

“Yeah but—”

“If I can’t join then it’s fine.”

Definitely not fine, if the small pout on Jinyoung's face was any indication. “I never said you can’t join, Jinyoung.” He’d welcomed Jinyoung with open arms now, trusting him not to act passive-aggressive since they had a truce and well, .

“Text me where and when.”

Mark sighed, losing to this beauty for god knows how many times already. “Okay,” he conceded. “Do you want to pick him up at the airport, too? Just asking.”

Jinyoung finally looked at him, still with a small pout. By now Mark had established a fan club of that recurring pout. “Are you guys going somewhere after that?”

“Huh, I don’t know. Probably will have a quick dinner, his flight will land at around 4 or 4.30 PM, I gotta check.”

“Just dinner?”

Mark drew his eyebrows together. “What else do you think we’ll be doing?”

“I don’t know, game? Or something else.”

“Something else, like?”

“I don’t know!” Jinyoung answered petulantly, puffing his cheeks a bit.

“You’re so childish.” Mark huffed. “No, we won’t do anything whatever you have in your head right now.”

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Yes, okay.”

“So, you’re gonna pick Declan up or not?”

“No. I have a book I want to read this weekend.”

“Then you should’ve just told me that from the beginning.” Mark exhaled heavily. This man never failed to test his patience. “Now, finish your food. We have a conference meeting with LA’s office after the lunch break.”

“I know that!”

 

 

***

 

 

“I’m quite surprised that Jinyoung isn’t here,” Declan announced, chuckling.

“I knew you’re gonna say something about that.”

“Yeah?” The ia guy giggled some more. “Well, given how attached he was to you.”

“He’s not attached to me.”

“To me he is.”

“Whatever man, let’s go?”

“C’mon.”

“By the way, do you mind if I invite someone from the office to join us for dinner?”

Declan’s eyes glinted, loading his bag into Mark’s car. “Jinyoung?”

“No, . He already has a plan tonight.”

“Oh.”

Mark started the car, its sputtering to life with a soft vibration. “Don’t act so sad.”

“I love watching his face change when I’m talking to you! It’s amusing!” 

“He’ll kill you if he ever hears that.”

“Are you gonna tell?”

“Why would I do that?”

“Then it’s a secret between us!” Declan winked jokingly.

Mark rolled his eyes. “So, do you mind?”

“Ah, about that. Of course not! In fact, please invite as many as you want! I wanna meet friends from the NY office!”

“Don’t get too excited, I don’t have many friends,” Mark said bitterly.

“How could someone like you not have many friends?”

“Someone like me, like what?”

“Handsome, kind, smart, nice—”

“Aaah, stop, stop, that’s weird coming out from you!” Mark let out a loud laugh.

Declan joined him, head tossing back. “You’re right.”

“There’s always a difference between co-workers and friends, I believe? I have many co-workers but I’m not friends with the majority of them.”

“I get that.”

“Now you know.”

“So who’s joining in?”

“Jaebeom, he’s my sub-unit head. I’d love to introduce you to Jackson, as well, but that prick is having a ‘sleepover’ at his crush’s apartment.”

“Oh, I like them already.”

Mark giggled. “Jaebeom is a simp for cats, too.”

“Amazing!”

“Let me call him,” Mark said. “Hey, Siri, call Jaebeom.”

The phone rang a few times before it stopped and was replaced by Jaebeom’s voice. “Yo, JB, are you still up for a hangout with Declan?”

“Thank God you call. My Mum’s here and she won’t leave before I give her Youngjae’s number, which I will never give, by the way, now I have an excuse to send her off.”

Mark chuckled. “You’re a bad kid.”

“Don’t know that. So, where and when?”

“Plowshares at Amsterdam Ave at 6.30?”

“Call.”

“Okay, see you there!”

“See you there, Jaebeom! This is Declan!”

“Oh, hi bro! Can’t wait to see you!”

“Okay, bye!”

They arrived at Declan’s hotel almost two hours later, the difference between Richmond and New York in terms of that alone was gawking big. The ia guy checked in at the receptionist, getting a room with someone from Miami named Billy something according to the room list.

“Jinyoung will attend the convention.”

“Oh? Great! Someone I know.”

“I doubt he would want you around,” Mark joked. “Kidding man,” he added quickly when Declan’s face turned sour. “He’s a professional, you know that.”

“Yeah. Oh, this is mine.” The ia guy pointed at room number 365.

“I’ll wait here.”

“Okay, just gotta drop the bag and take a leak.”

“Go on.”

While waiting for Declan, Mark’s thoughts wandered. Should he call Jinyoung? He said he had a plan this weekend. But he also made it clear that if they decided to hang out, he wanted in. He's not sure if they would have time for hangout later on the weekdays, given the event's tight schedule and his own unpredictable work hours. And that’s why the decision to hang out this evening came out as impromptu.

Jinyoung would sulk if he didn’t tell him. As much as he liked seeing that pout on that round face, taming a sulky Jinyoung was still a task he would rather not do. At least not now. No, wait. Why did he care about Jinyoung’s reaction anyway? He had no responsibility to make him happy.

“Let’s go.”

Declan’s voice broke his trance. “Ah, okay.”

The decision to eat at the cafe near the hotel was a good one. At least he didn’t have to drive too far and h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter