Some visuals of Choson fashion

Under the Peach Tree

The following pictures depict the different styles of hanbok, hairstyles, and accessories worn by the people of Choson, in case there are folks who have never watched a historical K-Drama. This is not an extensive list by any means. The purpose is simply to set the stage for the fic.

 

 

 

Most men of Choson have long hair and they wear it in a topknot. Men of noble families and scholars would wear a headband wrapped over their foreheads to keep the topknot in place.

 

 

Inside the palace:

 

 Kings wear red a robe as part of their everyday court attire with a black crown.

Crown princes wear blue robes as part of their everyday court attire with a blue crown.

Princes, who are illegitimate sons of the king with his concubines, wear a maroon robe as part of their court attire with a black hat with winglike flaps.

The women in the palace wear this style of women's hanbok. Unlike, in the cases of the king and the princes, there are no color restrictions as the women can wear a variety of colors. Married royal women and concubines style their hair into a middle part then tie it into a low bun. They pin the bun using a long and elaborately designed hairpin. They also wear a type of hair accessory that sits in the middle of their head, right on top of the middle part.

Young unmarried princesses wear a similar kind of hanbok as married royal women. However, they usually style their hair into a middle part and tie it into a single braid, instead of a bun and accessorize it with decorative pins.

Left: The uniform of ladies in waiting; they wear their hair in a low bun with a much more modest looking pin.

Right: The uniform of palace maids; they wear their hair in the braided style shown above. 

The uniform of the eunuchs.

 

The uniform of the royal guards.

The officials wear either red or blue robes (depending on their ranks) as part of their court attires.

 

Outside of the palace:

This style of hanbok is typically worn by aristocrats and scholars as everyday clothes. They would accompany the outfit with a hat, pictured above, when they go out. Royal men dress similarly when outside of the palace.

This style of hanbok is worn by non-royal women as everyday clothes. Royal women may dress like this when outside of the palace. Just like the royal women, regular married women also wear their hair in a low bun.

Left: Young unmarried women typically wear their hair in a single braid. Women of nobility may accessorize their hair with decorative hairpins. 

Right: However, although not common amongst the young noblewomen, some may choose to wear their hair down. This is how Mura (the female lead of this story) wears her hair.