final.

i'll be your biggest fan (and you'll be mine)

 

Flash. Flash. Flash.

 

Despite the endless white flash that almost blinded Minjoo, she remained smiling charmingly at those cameras that couldn’t even be counted. She was used to this feeling already. Even though it always made her slightly uncomfortable because it never failed to make her dizzy afterwards — she kept smiling, and waving at the cameras, and the people behind it with unmatched enthusiasm.

 

She walked down to the red carpet confidently, striding like a topnotch model that she was. And there was an obvious awe reaction from the crowd as she remained in the spotlight.

 

Minjoo was then stopped by a staff member, gesturing for her and her other members to stop for a group photo so they did. They lined up by the red carpet closely, they posed in front of the cameras elegantly. Heh, they really looked like they were about to bag the Best Female Group of the Year, ready to take that award that was meant for them.

 

With that, the group went to their own waiting room to change their outfits. In about two hours or so, they would be performing in front of a large crowd in the Gocheok Sky Dome. It wasn’t their first time performing in that place — they held their 4th concert in this very dome too, just last year. But still, it was a bit intimidating.

 

But Minjoo knew that everything would go on smoothly again. Just like every time.

 

///

 

Kim Minjoo was a member of a popular four-membered girl group called, ARIZ. And the other members were: Miyawaki Sakura, Jo Yuri, and Jang Wonyoung. She was the leader of the group, visual, lead vocalist, and lead dancer.

 

At first, the group wasn’t really that popular. They came from a new, not well known small agency. They were their first group so the pressure was on.

 

But even so, they strived to be more and more successful. They weren’t considered ‘flop’ at all. Their first week sales were pretty much good for a new group that came from a company that people never heard of.

 

They slowly rose to fame after their second comeback. They earned the general public’s interest, and the members started going viral left and right, especially Minjoo. Well, the number one reason was for her goddess-like beauty (K-Netz went mad over her visuals when they discovered her), and then, she became a popular meme because of her funny facial expressions. Also, because of her humble, kind, angel-like personality.

 

It also helped that the music they were releasing was god-tier so their songs also became hits, and attracted people’s attention even more. Soon, in their third year as an idol group — they slowly became the standard. Their album sales skyrocketed, and they always stayed on top of the music charts, bagging music show wins, and other major awards. They were always guesting in variety shows, performing in big concerts, etc.

 

The members were always busy and booked. After ARIZ finally got the attention they deserved, a lot of important people in the industry took an interest in them. From brand ambassadors, OST singers, commercial ads, to acting, plus modelling. Every member was known, they didn’t even need the group name because their own names were known by people.

 

And now, after that rough path they dealt with — they were on their way to celebrate their fifth anniversary soon.

 

Minjoo slowly fluttered her eyes open, her dazed gaze glued on top of the ceiling of their van. The voices she could hear were muffled because of the earphones plugged into her ears. She was listening to relaxing, sweet songs when she heard the commotion at the very back of the van.

 

She took one bud away, and the voices were more clear — it seemed like Yuri and Sakura were fighting over candy. As usual, these two. Sakura might be the oldest but she was pretty childish sometimes, and she liked to annoy Yuri. Whilst Yuri, their main vocalist, was just a brat.

 

They were on their way to the fansign event. Since they just recently had a comeback. As usual, their song was another hit.

 

Minjoo ignored the fight at the back, and placed the other bud back into her ear again then her phone. She opened the blue bird app, and started to scroll around, refreshing her timeline to spot a certain account. She was waiting for their update, and when she finally saw a new tweet from them — a smile formed on her lips almost instantly.

 

The tweet said: already in the fansign event! setting up the cameras to capture minjoo and other ariz members~

 

A picture was attached below the tweet. It was a picture of the place where they would hold a fansign as a proof. Minjoo smiled, pressing the ‘heart’ button. But fear not, it was not her official Twitter account, she couldn’t use that for herself anyway so she just made a private account.

 

However, she then felt something behind her. She tilted her head up, and saw that Wonyoung was peeking from the seat, eyeing her with her eyes full of amusement. Minjoo immediately turned off her phone, taking off a bud of her earphone again.

 

“What’s wrong?” She asked their youngest and center, Wonyoung. The latter smiled brightly at her, puckering her lips to point at her phone then started to wiggle her eyebrows in a teasing manner.

 

Minjoo could feel her cheeks heating up. Wonyoung chuckled at that, and spoke before the leader could even defend herself. “You’re stalking— ehem, checking again if Pearl-nim will come, right?” She asked, and then immediately added, “You know she will always come no matter what. She’s always present.”

 

“I was just checking. Why are you making a fuss over that?” Minjoo mumbled, and Wonyoung giggled at that, resting her chin on the seat.

 

“Well, it’s been a while since we last saw her, right? After all, she only attended our sole group event. And it’s been months since our last fansign event.” replied Wonyoung with an amused tone, like she knew something that Minjoo didn’t know.

 

Grumbling something on her breath, Minjoo nodded but said nothing anymore. Wonyoung smiled meaningfully at the older woman before settling back to her seat. A sigh of relief escaped Minjoo’s lips, and scratched her head.

 

If one must be curious who ‘Pearl-nim’ was — she was just Minjoo’s biggest supporter ever since the very beginning. This ‘Pearl-nim’ was known to be Minjoo’s most popular fansite and fan account. She was already there on the very first day of ARIZ’s debut and until now, she never failed to come to their fansign events, concerts, and many more.

 

So, it wasn’t surprising that every member of ARIZ, especially Minjoo — knew her. Pearl was already there even when the group wasn’t still successful and big stars, supporting them with all her might, and always hoarding their merchandise, especially albums — and also never failed to always join in fan supports to give the members expensive gifts.

 

Don’t tell the other fans but this Pearl-nim was Minjoo’s favorite. Well, not just because she was there from the very beginning, and always present in every event of the group but because she was genuinely a nice person. She was also funny, she never failed to cheer Minjoo up.

 

But even so, after almost five years of knowing her. They never got to know her real name at all — she was pretty careful about it. In fansign events, she would ask the members to sign it to ‘Pearl’ instead of her name, until now — they were still clueless. And also her full face, she always wore a mask to cover half of her face. However, despite trying to hide her face — she was always the talk of the people since her eyes were already mesmerizing alone — and her physique was something else too.

 

She also avoided fan gatherings, she would just send her support and donation discreetly — she never liked to socialize. When going to ARIZ’s event, her sole purpose was just to cheer for them, and after that, she would disappear like a bubble.

 

Oh, how did Minjoo know? Well. Of course, she would know every little detail about that peculiar big fan of hers. Ever since the very beginning, she had already gotten Minjoo’s attention. And to be honest, Minjoo was always anticipating her presence that she herself would browse through the crowd just to spot that certain supporter of hers.

 

Maybe she got attached. Uhm, not in that kind of way, of course. Minjoo was just very thankful for Pearl’s never ending support. She was really doing everything to show her genuine admiration to the group and most especially to Minjoo — she never showed off, and her actions weren’t really creepy to Minjoo’s part. Instead, it was rather overwhelming and heartwarming because that person just genuinely wanted the best for Minjoo.

 

“You deserve everything good in this world.” That was what Pearl would always answer to Minjoo whenever the idol would ask why she was making big efforts to give her things that would make her extremely happy and feel supported. Because sometimes, Minjoo was bewildered at the efforts Pearl would make.

 

Yet despite everything, Pearl knew the boundaries between a fan and idol. She never made Minjoo uncomfortable. And sometimes, it felt like they were friends — well, truth to be told, Minjoo never saw Pearl as a fan whenever they talk — it felt like they were friends because whenever they talk in fansign events, Minjoo never saw Pearl as a fan like the others. She was different.

 

She already got a special spot in Minjoo’s heart. And yeah, don’t tell that to anybody or she might get in trouble! Minjoo already got enough teasing from her members and managers because she was always glowing when she knew that she would meet this certain fan soon — those were their words, not Minjoo’s! Although, the latter wouldn’t want to believe it (maybe she was just in denial).

 

Soon enough, they finally reached the venue, and went to the back entrance of the hall — exclusively for VIPs only. Minjoo was chirpy that day despite only having three hours of sleep. No one said anything because they all knew the reason, and just did their own business. Teasing was reserved after the fansign event. It was practically a routine already at this point.

 

After thirty minutes of preparing and retouching their make-ups, the members finally walked inside the hall where the fansign event would happen. They were immediately greeted by cheers, and shutters of cameras.

 

They smiled at their fans, they were happy to see them again despite just seeing a whole larger crowd of them a few days ago. Even if they were sleep deprived because of their busy schedules, their energy boosted when they saw their fans again, shouting encouraging words to them as the group greeted them happily.

 

Of course, before the fansigning would start, each member gave greetings first and had a photoshoot session. They then finally went on their destined seats; with Yuri first, Sakura second, and Wonyoung third while Minjoo was in the very last seat.

 

As the fansigning went — the idols would occasionally talk with the fans when there was no person in front of them to sign their album. While Minjoo, she kept trying to spot a certain fansite. It didn’t take long to spot her, and her camera — thanks to the picture she attached on her tweet earlier, Minjoo just exactly knew where she could be found.

 

No one really noticed that Minjoo mainly focused on smiling and posing in that particular big camera than many others that were on her. She would always turn her attention to the other fansites but of course, she would find herself turning to that specific camera to pose afterwards.

 

She couldn’t see the person behind the camera because she was covered by the gigantic lens itself. But Minjoo spotted her waving at her when the idol was looking directly at the camera — Minjoo let out a dashing grin at that, also waving back shyly.

 

Time passed by quickly much to Minjoo’s delight, and she saw her favorite fan finally standing up from her seat to line up. She couldn’t even suppress her smile as she signed on the album which caught the attention of the fan in front of her.

 

“You seem very happy today, Minjoo.” He commented with a gentle smile playing on his lips. Minjoo finished signing, and handed the album to the excited fan with a grin, giving out a nod.

 

“Yes. I got to see you guys again.” chirped Minjoo, and the smile of the fan widened even more, holding his signed album like his life depended on it — finally bidding his goodbye to Minjoo, and dashed out of the platform before the manager could nag at him.

 

Before signing the next fan’s album, Minjoo took another peek, and saw that the person she had been waiting for was already on her way to Yuri. The latter immediately perked up at her appearance, “Oh, look who’s here~” The main vocalist mumbled playfully at the mic when Pearl sat in front of her.

 

Minjoo giggled at that before finally entertaining the other fan seated in front of her, talking with her with a very chirpy voice. It was the same for the others until she could spot the woman sitting in front of Wonyoung already.

 

The leader of the group then bid her goodbye to the last fan before her favorite supporter, and with that, she just watched her and Wonyoung’s interaction. The latter looked happy to see Minjoo’s famous fansite slash supporter, anticipating what was in store for her.

 

Of course, Peal loved to give them gifts. It was not just Minjoo who received gifts. Sometimes, her greedy side of her gets a little bit crestfallen whenever Pearl would give her other members some gifts when in fact, she was Minjoo’s supporter. It was touching that she still gave others some presents but Minjoo was just selfish. And it kind of terrified her. Why would she be this… selfish because her fansite was giving the other members some gifts too?

 

Although she always gets a lot of expensive and bigger ones, it wasn’t really surprising because Minjoo was her favorite, no doubt. Her members were not really envious of that, after all, they had their own big fans. But what they were envious of was because Pearl was really different from them — she was the fan every idol wanted.

 

Whoops. And there was only one ‘Pearl’ that existed in the world. So, who was the real winner here? Kim Minjoo.

 

Wonyoung and Pearl talked about randomest things, and the latter finally took her gift for Wonyoung from the big paper bag she brought with her. The youngest gasped because it was the limited edition book that she had been wanting ever since. Wonyoung mentioned the book before the last time they met Pearl a few months ago at their previous fansigning event.

 

The ‘rich’ fan always loved to ask what the members wanted, and in the next fansign event, she would bring the gift or would sometimes send it to the company building for them. But if they wouldn’t give an answer, she would have to surprise them then.

 

Minjoo never asked anything in particular before because the gifts Pearl would give her were already too much, so she would take anything that the woman would give her; be it small or big. Her presence was enough of a gift for Minjoo, actually. Her whole existence just screamed ‘comfortable’ so Minjoo was always looking forward to meeting this mysterious supporter of hers.

 

It didn’t help that Pearl was really fun to talk to, and she would make an excellent friend. There were times that Minjoo wanted to ask for her number so she could hang out with her a little longer because seriously, talking in a fansigning event with her was never enough. She always enjoyed their conversation, and this mysterious fan’s voice was just soothing and calming to listen at — she had came to love her blabbers about donating in a charity under Minjoo’s name, and volunteering in many animal shelter because it was the thing Minjoo loved to do before, when her schedule wasn’t still hectic.

 

Oh, if Minjoo could listen to those blabbers more. But she knew the idea might get Pearl uncomfortable, or worse, she might be involved in such a risky and awkward situation. Minjoo was the one who was forgetting the boundaries of a fan and idols sometimes.


Wonyoung kept squealing, hugging her precious book. “Oh my god, Pearl-nim. Seriously, how did you find this? This book is sold-out worldwide! And this is the original limited edition book itself. Even my connections can’t reach further to this.” She said excitedly, while the fan just shrugged, probably hiding a grin under that black mask.

 

“Because I’m no ordinary human, Wonyoung. I’m a wizard. I can use magic to get things you guys wanted even if it’s almost non-existent already.” Pearl playfully joked as she leaned closer to the youngest, throwing a wink at Wonyoung.

 

Minjoo’s heart rattled at the gesture the woman did to her younger member. Not a good feeling at all. Her smile faded a bit.

 

“You know. I’m quite believing in you.” Wonyoung answered with a happy cackle which made the fan giggle a bit too. Minjoo was also starting to believe it because wow, this fan just probably spent millions of won for Minjoo alone… And it was not like Minjoo was judging — this fan looked like an ordinary fan. Her presence might be big and attractive but she styled normally, no hint of being of a different level of ‘wealthy’.

 

Minjoo was curious about her job. The mysterious fan mentioned before that all of her fan projects for Minjoo and the group were solely made by her. So, she probably nonchalantly shouldered the huge expenses too.

 

And with that, the manager politely asked her to scoot to Minjoo already since there was another fan in line — Pearl and Wonyoung exchanged waves before the former stood from the seat, dragging the huge bag with her as she finally settled in front of Minjoo.

 

The idol cracked a grin as their eyes met. Minjoo’s pair of warm honey orbs met her chocolate ones. A strike of familiarity hit her once again. Those eyes were really mesmerizing, even one could tell that this fan was a beauty judging on her beautiful beasty eyes alone.

 

That day, the mysterious fan was wearing her usual outfit; an oversized comfy hoodie, pants, and converse. She didn’t have her usual cap or bonnet on her head, her smooth yet messy jet black shoulder-length hair was presented fully. This woman was so simple yet she was so charismatic. Her tall height, slim yet firm body also heightened her aura — she was a head turner, despite her face being hidden. She was already very attractive just by standing there.

 

Minjoo knew that their fans, mostly international fans — were simping over this Pearl-nim after she unpurposely photobombed in a pic with Minjoo. It kind of went viral around the fandom, and everyone had this huge crush on her now. Minjoo didn’t know whether to laugh or scowl.

 

“It’s been a while, hmm?” Minjoo greeted, and it unintentionally came out as a purr instead. She saw that the mysterious fan froze a bit before shifting on her seat, leaning closer to Minjoo, her eyes turning into little crescents which meant that she was grinning under that mask.

 

“How are you?” Pearl asked, placing the album in front of Minjoo.

 

The idol just hummed, opening the album, and flipped it to her page. “Pretty good, despite being too busy.” answered Minjoo then turned her attention to the woman in front of her. “How about you? Any story in store for me?”

 

Pearl immediately beamed at the mention. “Yes,” She exclaimed, and Minjoo noticed that she looked like a happy puppy. “I went to volunteer again. I also donated a huge sum in a selected orphanage under your name again, that’s why I only managed to buy five hundred albums — well, it still secured me a spot in this fansign.” She shared.

 

Minjoo smiled at that, pausing to sign the album, tilting her head. “Only five hundred? Even you know that it’s already too much.” She teased, purposely not writing ‘Pearl’ on the top of the page. “But I’m really grateful that you donated again. How’s your experience volunteering again?”

 

Pearl started to blabber about how she came to love this cute little pomeranian dog in the shelter after a day of tending him. It was another pleasant experience. And Minjoo couldn’t stop smiling as she listened attentively at the fan’s happy blabbers about the animals, nodding along as she spoke.

 

“Oh, time is running out. I’ll make sure to talk about my experiences again in the next fansign next week.” Pearl said, and looked down at the album, confused why Minjoo hadn’t written her alias yet.

 

Minjoo pouted. “Am I still not going to get your real name today? Come on, Pearl-nim. It’s been almost five years since we’ve met. Even just your nickname?” She asked, giving Pearl puppy eyes, batting her eyelashes, and puckering her lips.

 

The idol always tried but she also failed. She really wanted to know Pearl’s name, but if the latter didn’t want to say it then Minjoo wouldn’t push. She tried her luck again this time, and hopefully, she would finally get it. Even just a nickname close to her real name.

 

And this time, it looked like the mysterious fan finally considered it. Minjoo patiently waited, smiling dashingly at her. She immediately gestured for the manager to wait since he was about to say that Pearl should finally get up and leave. However, Minjoo was the boss here.

 

“Ah, fine. Just a part of my name then,” Pearl gave up after a short contemplation. Nervously, she slowly mumbled. “Jin.”

 

Minjoo blinked, freezing a little bit. She rejoiced mentally, and immediately wrote ‘Jin’ on the top of the album, wearing a sheepish grin. “So, it’s Jin after all. Nice to meet you, Jin.” And then, the screws in her head suddenly started moving. “Ah. There might be where the Pearl came from. You combined your Jin with my Joo? Hmm? Witty.” (Jinjoo/Jinju means ‘Pearl’ in Korean if one didn’t know)

 

Jin blushed furiously, she went red all over, slowly regretting giving her real name but because of the smile on Minjoo’s lips, she didn’t say anything. “Oh, shut it, Minjoo.” She playfully said, and the idol just laughed over it, handing the album to the fan.

 

Minjoo was really happy to know Pearl’s real name, at least just a part of it. She was already good with it. She knew that Jin was rather a private person so Minjoo wouldn’t ask for more until she was the one who would willingly say herself.

 

“Oh, before I go, here’s my gift!” Jin said, taking out a stuffed toy. It was a cute little pink fox. It appeared to be sleeping with its long ears down.

 

Minjoo’s heart instantly melted! This cute toy was beyond adorable. She instantly fell in love with it the moment she laid her eyes on it.

 

Jin handed her the cute doll, and Minjoo carefully took it, cradling it in her arms like a baby then turned to the fan. This stuffed toy looked like the keychain she got from a certain someone a long time ago. She would surely cherish this doll like the keychain with a design almost like this cute pink fox!

 

“Oh my god, Jin,” Minjoo didn’t notice that Jin visibly flinched at the call. “I love this so much! It looked like the gift of my old friend to me.” She whispered, hugging the toy tightly, her face became a little bit solemn but she was very happy — memories replayed in her head as she felt thousands of emotions all at once.

 

Jin nodded, looking relieved. “I’m glad you liked it. It isn’t expensive like the others—”

 

“I don’t care. It’s my favorite now. Thank you! Because of this, I suddenly thought of her. Hmm.” Minjoo whispered with a smile, placing the toy on top of the table beside her — it was cute, it looked like it was really sleeping beside her. Her heart sparkled as she caressed the doll like it was really a living tamed fox.

 

The mysterious fan didn’t say anything, just watching Minjoo fondly. However— “I’m really sorry but you really need to go now. The next fan is waiting.”

 

Minjoo and Jin flinched a bit. It was their manager. Jin gave the manager an apologetic look before gathering her things, and stood up from her seat. Minjoo pouted, following her with her gaze.

 

“See you next week, Jin?” Minjoo asked, the corner of her lips tugged upwards.

 

Nodding, Jin replied. “Of course. I never miss any of your events unless I really can’t go. See you around, Minjoo.” She said, finally waving her farewell to her, as she stepped out of the platform.

 

Pursing her lips, Minjoo suppressed a sigh, and forced herself to look forward instead of following Jin’s retreating figure. Next week. They would meet again next week so Minjoo shouldn’t feel down at all, and she got another companion anyway.

 

Minjoo kept caressing the pink sleeping fox beside her as she interacted with the fans, always carrying it around her even after the fan signing session. She literally performed while holding the pink fox.

 

She also made sure that Jin managed to capture her nicely with her gift.

 

///

 

A week passed by a blur. Minjoo felt like it was forever, actually. Well, because she had been waiting for it to come. She wanted the days to pass by quickly so she could meet this certain fan again, and show her the keychain that she treasured the most ever since her childhood. It was her most prized possession.

 

Minjoo would also tell Jin about how she got it and why it was the most important thing in the whole world for her.

 

Finally, after their photoshoot schedule — they went to the fansigning venue, and as usual, it started with a blast. Even though Minjoo was so drained, the moment she stepped on the platform and spotted Jin’s camera, she felt energized. She couldn’t wait to show the keychain to her.

 

After a painful hour, finally, Jin was once again seated in front of her while Minjoo was grinning ear to ear — she didn’t even let the fan greet her first when she took the keychain from her pocket, almost shoving it on her face so she could take a look.

 

“The toy you gave me last time. And the character on this keychain… they’re quite similar, right?” Minjoo asked, her eyes were sparkling, and started to caress the almost worn out keychain.

 

Jin didn’t say anything at first, just eyeing the keychain. “Yes. It does.” answered her, finally then turned to meet Minjoo’s eyes.

 

There was when Minjoo finally shared about her childhood friend. She had a close childhood friend before although they did not really grow up together, they were pretty close when they met. That cute childhood friend of hers was a year younger than her but accelerated that was why they were classmates in primary school.

 

She was bullied a lot because she was always the youngest yet the smartest, and Minjoo was the only one who befriended her, and protected her from the bullies even though because of the heroic act she did, the kids also became distant to her. For two years, they only got each other, and it was a lot of fun.

 

She boasted to Jin that she was her childhood friend’s knight shining in armour which made the other woman chuckle lightheartedly.

 

However, that childhood friend of hers suddenly transferred school, and as a gift — she gave Minjoo the said keychain that she herself made. She remembered that Minjoo’s favorite animal was fox and her favorite color was pink. So, Minjoo really treasured the gift until now — it was her most prized possession because the keychain held her connection and memories with her childhood friend who got a missing front tooth.

 

Minjoo already forgot a lot of her memories with her, and the keychain was really the only thing that prevented her from forgetting her so she was relieved that her precious childhood friend gave something so Minjoo would remember her always no matter what.

 

“For more than a decade, I have had it.” Minjoo finally finished her story, skimming through some parts because they never got unlimited time. It was her first time to be the one who would blabber a lot while Jin listened to her attentively.

 

Jin hummed, nodding. “You took care of it, very well,” The mysterious fan commented softly, glancing at the keychain. “I hope you will treasure the doll I gave to you like how you treasured the ‘keychain’ version of it.” added the woman, joking as she let out a chuckle.

 

Minjoo grinned, puffing her chest confidently. “Of course! I have tons of plushies but I hug that doll as I sleep.” responded the idol. Minjoo could just feel the smile under that mask.

 

They continued talking until their time was finally up. There would be a fansign event in three days. However, Jin gave her very sad news; she wouldn’t be able to come since she needed to do something important, personal matters, but promised to attend the next one after that.

 

Minjoo was a little bit sad, and pouty upon hearing that but it couldn’t be helped. Jin only missed two fansign events in the whole career of the group so…

 

But whatever, it wasn’t the last fansign event for the comeback anyway. Since it was a full album, the company decided to do five fansign events in total. Jin would just miss the third, hopefully.

 

“See you soon then.” Minjoo bid her goodbye solemnly. Jin waved at her, finally walking away while clutching her signed album.

 

The idol could only follow the mysterious fan’s retreating figure with her sad gaze. She then glanced at the expensive set of hairpins that Jin gave her. Why was she feeling like this…

 

She could only sigh as she pocketed back the keychain, and finally gave the next fan a smile.

 

///

 

“Well, the next schedule for today…” The manager said from the passenger seat of the van. The members of ARIZ were all drained and exhausted after the recording session and a few hours of practice plus the fansigning event earlier — they were slumped on their own seats, half-listening. “And last, fortunately,” The members let out a relieved sigh.

 

“You guys will perform in a private party for the company’s CEO, Miss Jo Haseul. Since you guys are invited, I assume that Ms. Jo personally asked you guys if you can perform even just three songs.”

 

Minjoo hummed at that, suddenly remembering. “Oh yeah, that party. Of course, we will accept that. Our CEO had done a lot for us and it’s sort of our present for her. Hmm. It must be all luxurious. Ms. Jo is pretty extravagant in stuff like this. The guests must be those wealthy people.” She mumbled tiredly, massaging her temples. They approximately had two hours to prepare, still enough to get some rest.

 

“Ahh, those chaebols,” Yuri butted in, scratching her head. “Even though we’re successful idols, they still intimidate me. Their level of wealth is way more insane than ours. I’m scared they might approach us in a, well — less innocent way.” whispered the main vocalist, stifling a yawn.

 

Sakura also added, “Yeah. We should really avoid those people as much as possible, and stick with the less suspicious ones. Let’s be more careful, don’t want to get hitted on by some old men.” She said, and everyone inside the van laughed but was also worried.

 

“I’ll prepare enough bodyguards for safety. It might cause some murmurs but it’s better safe.” Their manager said, and the girls were grateful that they got a very concerned, and kind manager like her.

 

With that, they got enough rest before they reached the venue of the party. The party was going to be held in the Four Seasons Hotel Seoul. Miss Jo also fell in the level of being a chaebol so she wasn’t scared to do expensive stuff like this. She literally rented a whole resort for ARIZ and their staff for their third anniversary so they could relax peacefully.

 

After all, it wasn’t just the company that was handling ARIZ she owned — she also owned a lot of firms and businesses around the country. Hmm. She was really a rich woman yet she remained kind-hearted and soft. She treated ARIZ as her real daughters and took care of them with utmost effort.

 

They arrived at the waiting room of the venue, making sure they didn’t get much attention. It helped that they weren’t wearing their performing clothes, and make-up yet so people didn’t really notice them passing by to reach the waiting room.

 

While preparing, Haseul visited them to check on them before getting on stage. The members gave their CEO some birthday greetings and hugs. Haseul also warned them to be careful around if they would hang around the party a bit since these people were a little bit odd, and could be weirdos.

 

Finally, they performed in front of the guests. There weren’t many noises, they were different in their usual crowd. The people here were all more sophisticated and well-mannered, they just clapped after their performance with smiles on their lips, staying at their own tables while sipping on their wines.

 

The people, mostly the men — they looked flourished and collected but Minjoo could see beneath those calm, well-composed eyes, and it made her shiver. Many of them were giving them predatory gazes which made them uncomfortable as hell. She wasn’t the only one who noticed those ill gazes, all of the members did but they remained professional. The women, however, some were giving them envious or annoyed looks. Thankfully, a lot still paid attention to them, they were amazed to see them, even.

 

Soon enough, they finally finished performing and decided to join in. Even though they badly wanted to go home and rest, it would be rude to immediately go straight home after performing. It was their CEO’s party anyway. Maybe they would stay around an hour or so.

 

In the middle of the party, Minjoo excused herself to the bathroom — refusing the bodyguard to accompany her. She already knew where the bathroom was, and went there alone, smiling back at the guests who would throw a nod and smile at her.

 

The luxurious restroom was empty and silent when she came in, she shivered at the cold and finally did her business. While she was relieving herself, she heard the door open — but she ignored it. After that, she went to the sink to wash and dry her hands. The other stall was occupied.

 

She then fixed her hair a bit, and when she was satisfied, she finally went out of the bathroom — entering the hall, ready to go back when suddenly, her way was blocked by a taller figure.

 

Minjoo halted her steps, frowning a bit as she looked up to see this person. They were standing in her way. And it was one of the rich guests — he was the son of the Gaeguk Company, if she was right. He was nearing his thirties already. Minjoo just knew him because of Haseul earlier, pointing out that he was one of the most important guests, and richest.

 

“Uhm, what can I do for you?” Minjoo timidly asked, she was already uncomfortable because of his close proximity so she took a step backward — but the man just followed her all along, wearing a creepy smile. He wasn’t too handsome but because of his expensive clothes, he looked nice. But he was creeping Minjoo out. Geez, she should’ve let the bodyguard follow her all the way here.

 

The man then let out a grin and a deep chuckle, he was still even holding a glass of wine. “Oh, I just want to greet you, miss. I’m such a big fan of your group and you caught my attention the most.” He said sweetly, but his eyes were hard and dangerous. Minjoo was getting scared now, it didn’t help that there was no one else but them in the bathroom hall.

 

“I see. Hello!” Minjoo greeted, trying to find an escape. She got a bad feeling about this.

 

“Hehe, Miss Kim. Is it alright if we talk alone somewhere private? And have a drink too.” The man offered, smiling sheepishly at her but Minjoo shivered.

 

“Oh, I’m really sorry but I must refuse. I need to go back now. Nice to meet you, sir.” Minjoo tried to bid her goodbye and run away but the man stubbornly stayed still, shifting his position when Minjoo was about to walk past him — he stood there like a wall, and his eyes were a lot dangerous now and he wasn’t pleased by the rejection.

 

“Come on, Minjoo-ssi. I’m sure you will like my company. I won’t do anything bad, I promise. Just a friendly chat.” He insisted, even taking another step forward, daring to put his rough hand on Minjoo’s waist.

 

The alarms in Minjoo’s head blared. She smiled tightly, and scooted away to escape his hold but he remained firm, holding her waist in a non-friendly manner. This time, Minjoo was disgusted and terrified for real! She was getting harassed.

 

“Please. Stop. I’m uncomfortable. Step back.” Minjoo pleaded through gritted teeth, dizzy at his strong manly cologne mixed with the smell of wine.

 

The man just chuckled, leaning a bit closer to Minjoo. And the idol wanted to cry. She felt helpless, and there was no other soul present in that place. She didn’t know what to do!

 

“Why not? Come on. Let’s have some fun. I’ll buy you anything you want. I’ll also invest in your company. Just spend the night with me—”

 

The deities probably heard Minjoo’s prayers from above because suddenly, there was a voice behind her, and the disgusting hand on her waist was removed harshly.

 

“Hands off her, you piece of .”

 

It was a rather familiar voice. Minjoo’s heart skipped a beat. She flinched a bit at the feminine yet husky voice coming from behind — it was slightly deep because of anger. She then felt a presence beside her, and finally, her ‘savior’ took a step forward again then shielded her from the man.

 

Minjoo was in awe. She eyed the woman; she was taller than her, her black hair was on a neat bun, wearing a clean shirt, black shorts, and a familiar converse. Huh. This woman was probably another guest at the party but her outfit was rather… simpler than those chaebols.

 

“Mind your own business, dumb .” The man was obviously angry at the disturbance but the woman stood firm, unafraid. “You again. Why are you at this party anyway? You’re also underdressed, sheesh, you’re embarrassing your father again.” He mocked, eyeing her head to toe.

 

Something ignited in Minjoo’s heart. Anger. But the woman said nothing.

 

The man then scoffed, his eyes turning to Minjoo again — his face softened as he looked at Minjoo in a non-friendly way. “Come on, Minjoo-ssi. Don’t let this girl bother us, let’s get out of this dumb party and have fun together. I’ll book us a room—”

 

He was cut off again when he was suddenly pinned on the nearest wall by the woman. Minjoo gasped, not even minding that the wine glass the man was holding fell on the tiled floor — broken and its content drenching the floor.

 

“Get off me!” The guy said, trying to get out from the strong grip, obviously getting terrified now — he looked like he was going to piss on his pants.

 

“You better run off now, Hyeokjin. Or I won’t hold back. Now, off.” The woman growled angrily, pushing him further to the wall that made him let out a choked grunt before throwing him away to the other direction — making him almost stumble on his feet.

 

Hyeokjin let out a cough, glaring at the woman who saved Minjoo from him. “I will get you next time, Ahn.” He said, pointing at her shakily before running away like a wet puppy.

 

Minjoo was surprised at the sudden turn of events, but she was relieved that she got saved by this strong woman. She was shorter than Hyeokjin but she was surprisingly stronger — Minjoo saw how Hyeokjin struggled, fighting back but he just couldn’t match her strength at all!

 

Finally, when the woman turned around a bit. Minjoo got to see the glimpse of her face, feeling dumbfounded as everything suddenly felt like it went slow motion. This woman was beautiful, so beautiful that Minjoo’s breath hitched; with her plump lips, tall nose, sharp jawline, and those… familiar beasty eyes with chocolate orbs.

 

There was no way Minjoo wouldn’t recognize those eyes that always haunted her dreams and daydreams! The eyes she always liked to stare at until time was finally out.

 

But before Minjoo could process everything — the familiar woman looked away almost immediately, walking away from the scene in a rush. Minjoo snapped back into reality after that, dashing to catch up with her savior. Damn, that familiar strong aura, that body build, that height! And the shoes! Minjoo couldn’t be mistaken!

 

“Wait up!” Minjoo called, and grabbed the person’s wrist to stop her from escaping. The woman went tense, refusing to look at her but she halted her steps anyway.

 

The idol let out a puff of breath, eyeing the taller woman intently. “Pearl? Jin? Is that you?” She whispered then shook her head. “No. It’s really you. I know your eyes very well.”

 

The taller woman released a heavy sigh before finally fully facing Minjoo. The idol was taken aback to see her full face again, feeling herself unconsciously holding back her breath. Her heart really rattled when Jin gave her a small smile.

 

“You should be a lot more careful, you know.” Jin mumbled, shaking her head, avoiding the identity topic but Minjoo wouldn’t let her.

 

A gasp escaped her parted lips, taking a step closer to look at her more intently which made the other woman flinch hard at the sudden close proximity. “Oh my god so it’s really you…” The idol whispered.

 

Jin sighed again, scratching the bridge of her nose. “No point in denying.” She whispered as she let out a nervous chuckle.

 

Minjoo was delighted. She was right — Jin was hiding a pretty face beneath that mask! And well, she was even prettier than Minjoo had expected! She wasn’t fully prepared at the sudden, accidental reveal. What a fate!

 

“Why are you here?” Minjoo immediately asked, her eyes were sparkling in delight, and her smile couldn’t be suppressed. She was so excited that she didn’t even notice that she was still holding Jin’s wrist tightly. “Are you Ms. Jo’s guest too?”

 

Jin’s face went red when Minjoo just kept staring at her. She badly wanted to cover her face but she did not anyway, there was no point in hiding anymore because Minjoo knew already. “Yes. I’m a guest. My father was supposed to be the one who would attend but he had an emergency and had to fly to Japan so in his stead, I attended instead even though I hate luxurious parties like this… just parties in general.” She explained, chuckling then added, “I don’t look like a guest, right? I don’t look like I belong here. I loathe wearing formal clothes.” She said in distaste before looking down at her own outfit, Minjoo’s eyes just followed her gaze.

 

Just the casual outfit of Jin whenever she went to one of ARIZ’s event. Ah, why wasn’t she so surprised at all that she would appear in such a glamorous place like this in a simple outfit? But still, even though she was ‘underdressed’, her charisma and aura were still big.

 

So, Jin was also… a chaebol? Now that explained how she could easily buy expensive stuff for her and the group. She wouldn’t question anything. But then, she was curious… where wealthy family did she come from? If she didn’t hear it wrong, that Hyeokjin guy called Jin — Ahn. And that was definitely a surname.

 

Jin noticed her expression and let out a weak chuckle. “You must be confused and have a lot of questions for me, hmm?” She asked, she looked more relaxed than before but she remained nervous.

 

Minjoo nodded, admitting it. With a sigh, Jin shrugged. “Well. The cat is out of the bag just like that. I know that someday you’ll know eventually but I never knew that my identity would be revealed in such a situation like this.”

 

The idol blinked, tilting her head. “Is this why you keep your identity hidden? Because you might get caught by the media?” She asked, her voice was almost a whisper, and Jin just smiled like that.

 

“Well. I’m not really that known but I guess, that’s the part of it. There’s another reason… but yeah, although I always lay low and not exposed to the public’s gaze that much, it’s better to be safe. I don’t want to make a headline while I’m just doing something I love to do.” Jin didn’t give the other reason specifically, she looked hesitant but Minjoo did not pry on it further.

 

Minjoo understood that. The media these days were all always nosy and hungry for ‘scandalous’ scoops. It must’ve been hard for Jin… she just wanted to support the group she loved but it would get misunderstood by other people especially because she was a chaebol.

 

“Look. I want to have a chat with you more and explain something about me but I needed to go there and do something first. Can we meet again next time? It will be selfish of me if I ask you to meet me later. I know you’re tired from the schedules for today.” Jin said in a haste, looking at the main venue then fished out her wallet, taking something from it before handing it to Minjoo.

 

The idol just mindlessly took it, still staring at Jin who was giving her an apologetic look and smile. “My number is in that card. Just message me once you’re free and I will immediately meet you. I have a lot to say and explain to you, Minjoo.” She said in a serious tone, and Minjoo shivered but she nodded obediently.

 

Then, they felt people entering the bathroom hall — they turned around and it was Wonyoung, walking towards them with a bodyguard, she looked worried. And that was when Minjoo realized she probably worried the others for taking too long!

 

Jin bowed her head a bit. “It’s nice meeting you again, I guess I’ll see you soon?” She said, turning her body sideways, and was about to walk away when she remembered something. “Be more careful, okay? Have a good night, Joo.” She reminded her before finally walking away in a haste, passing by Wonyoung and the bodyguard — just giving them a slight bow on the head, finally disappearing in Minjoo’s sight, leaving her there while holding the card.

 

Wonyoung was actually surprised when she met eyes with the familiar stranger. She even halted on her steps when the woman passed by them, sharing a brief eye-contact with her. Familiarity hit her like a train but before she could even move and process everything, the woman was gone.

 

She then turned to Minjoo who was standing still there, looking at them so she ran towards the older. “Unnie! The others are worried about you because you’re taking so long so I immediately checked on you.” She said, then her eyes sparkled. “That tall woman… it’s definitely Pearl-nim, right!?” She asked without even waiting for Minjoo’s response.

 

With a sigh, Minjoo just nodded, and Wonyoung let out a shriek, making the bodyguard flinch beside her. The younger then apologized at her behavior then started to throw countless questions to Minjoo, and also teasing. She couldn’t wait to tell the other members!

 

However, Minjoo remained in a daze, not saying anything yet then took a glance at the card — a business card, actually. Her eyes almost popped out of its sockets when she read it, her heart fully stopped from beating.

 

AHN YUJIN

AHN CORPORATION (A-Corp)

+82 X-XXXX-XXXX

 

///

 

Minjoo didn’t get a wink of sleep that night when they got home. The members kept pestering her about Pearl-nim because of what Wonyoung told them but she didn’t answer or respond at all, she was just silent, staring at the distance with blank gaze — as if she was drowning in her own thoughts so they gave her space. Something must’ve happened back there.

 

That night, she laid down on her comfortable bed while eyeing the business card Jin — Yujin, gave to her, reading the contents repeatedly. She was hugging the stuffed toy she gave while glancing sometimes at the keychain that was dangling on her bag.

 

Her mind was full of thoughts, and a lot of questions — and answers too that she connected herself. It wasn’t that hard to realize something because she got the very core of everything: her real name.

 

Ahn Yujin was Jin or Pearl’s real name. A beautiful name. And a name so familiar that Minjoo really malfunctioned when she read it for the first time. That familiar name that Minjoo had almost forgotten.

 

Ahn Yujin. It was the name of her dearest childhood friend. Oh god. What were the odds? Was it just a coincidence? No way.

 

Minjoo was such a fool for not recognizing her immediately. Well, the last time she remembered, Yujin was just a small wimpy kid who always loved to cry. But now, just look at her — she really had grown very nicely. Of course, Minjoo wouldn’t be able to recognize her when they met ‘again’ almost five years ago at their very first fansigning event. Although Yujin’s chocolate orbs were familiar. It wasn’t enough for her to conclude that this biggest fan of hers was her best friend when they were still younger. And her whole face was hidden always for god’s sake!

 

When they parted, Yujin was barely ten so… who could’ve thought?

 

Minjoo badly wanted to meet that old friend of hers even way before but unbeknownst to her, she was just right in front of her all the time! She didn’t know whether to feel happy or bitter.

 

Yujin probably had reasons why she kept it all a secret. She would definitely answer every question Minjoo would throw at her once they met again.

 

Minjoo fell asleep thinking of Yujin, hugging the pink fox tightly.

 

Three days later, Minjoo finally gave Yujin a message. It was just a simple message asking Yujin if it was fine to meet with her tomorrow in the evening in Han River Park. Yujin immediately responded back that it would be alright then said that she could fetch her so they could go to the park together. Minjoo actually liked the idea so she replied that it would be fine and she would wait for her at the bus shelter near their dorms.

 

With that, it was all set. She already got her manager’s permission and the members also knew but they never said anything, just giving their leader a meaningful smile.

 

When their schedule for that day finally ended, Minjoo immediately rushed to change outfit when they arrived at the dorm. She grabbed her bag, eyeing the pink fox keychain dangling on the zipper before slinging it on her shoulders.

 

She made sure to wear a cap and mask as a disguise. She finally bid her goodbye to the members before walking towards the nearest bus shelter to the dorm. She checked the time on her phone and it was almost six in the evening already. There was also a notification of a message from Yujin, telling her that she was on the way. She replied with a ‘drive safely’.

 

Minjoo was excited but at the same time, nervous to meet Yujin again. This time when they met, she already knew her identity. She hoped that it wouldn’t be awkward at all because of this revelation.

 

She stood by the bus shelter, and patiently waited. She wasn’t alone there — there was a drunk ahjussi sitting on one of the seats, drinking soju straight from the bottle, and kept letting out a delighted sigh after downing the alcohol. Minjoo ignored him but then, the drunk man started to call for her attention, whistling at her.

 

Minjoo turned around and saw the drunk red-faced man wiggling his eyebrows suggestively while eyeing her from head to toe. Minjoo felt so uncomfortable and angry! What a ert. Men were really annoying. It didn’t help that she was just wearing shorts that time. But since Minjoo was a nice person, she just ignored him.

 

But then, he stood up from his seat, almost stumbling and when he regained his balance, he staggered towards Minjoo. The idol’s eyes widened a bit, ready to flee off because this drunk man might do something bad to her.

 

Before he could even reach her, a figure rushed to stop the drunk man from going near her.

 

“I think it’s better if you will just sit there and drink until you pass out, ahjussi.”

 

Minjoo blinked. She turned to the woman who stopped the old man from advancing at her. It was Ahn Yujin again!

 

She was holding the man’s shoulder tightly. And she was smiling politely at the old man but her eyes were dangerous and if looks could kill, this man was long gone now. Before the drunk man could say anything — Yujin pushed him harshly back to the seat, and the man just let out a grunt when he landed painfully on the seats but didn’t say anything more.

 

Minjoo stared at Yujin. The woman wasn’t wearing a mask at all but she was wearing a black hat — if Minjoo wasn’t mistaken, it was just the black version of her own white ball cap. She was wearing her usual outfit; a comfortable sweater, pants, and her favorite converse.

 

“Yujin,” Minjoo called absentmindedly. And Yujin turned her gaze from glaring at the man, her expression softened, approaching closer.

 

“It feels great to be called in my real name by you again.” Yujin said, the gentle smile on her lips hadn’t faded — her dimples were poking out. Those lovely dimples that Minjoo liked to poke before. “Pearl was okay, but it sounds too cringey.” She faked a grimace, joking. “Anyway, let’s go. We still have a lot to talk about, right? My car is parked nearby.”

 

With that, Yujin turned her back and started walking. Minjoo immediately trailed behind, her heart warmed when Yujin took a peek from her shoulder to check if she was following her.

 

Minjoo stared at the drunk man who was already sleeping on the bus shelter, even snoring. She sneered, and turned her head forward again, staring at Yujin’s broad back as they walked. This woman saved her, yet again. This time… Yujin was her knight shining in armor… not the other way anymore.

 

Her heart fluttered.

 

Yujin then stopped in front of a good-looking blue car, took out her car keys then pressed a button. The said car lit up, and Minjoo gaped at it, shivering when she saw the logo of a familiar and famous car logo. Yujin was really, really wealthy. Her car was a Ferrari F8 Tributo!

 

The woman then opened the passenger seat for her, gesturing to her to hop inside. And with full of hesitation, Minjoo slowly and carefully sat inside the car — her heart acted at the gesture where Yujin covered the edge of the roof with her hand so in case her head would bump, it wouldn’t hurt.

 

Hmm. The car smelled nice too, really expensive. Although Minjoo always saw expensive cars and rode some, she felt like she was just dirtying this one — she felt shy and stiff. Yujin gently closed the door and circled at the driver’s seat, also settling there. She the engine, and finally maneuvered the car out of the parking space — entering the road with fast speed, not fast enough that it would make Minjoo pray for her life, fast enough for them to reach the Han River Park quickly.

 

Throughout the ride, they were silent. No one talked and Minjoo could only just listen awkwardly at the radio which was coincidentally playing one of their songs. It made Yujin chuckle, humming along. And it was pleasant in Minjoo’s ears. She would catch Yujin taking a glance at her, and at the bag that was placed on her lap — more like on the keychain. She would smile at herself afterwards.

 

Minjoo hopped outside without Yujin’s assistance this time and waited for her. The woman got something from the compartment, a bag — full of food and drinks, Minjoo assumed. After that, she double checked if the car was properly locked, and started to walk with Minjoo to a quiet spot.

 

Since it was evening, the park was almost deserted so they managed to find a quiet spot with a nice view. They settled on the bench, and Yujin immediately offered Minjoo a soda, and some gummy bears. Hmm. No wonder ‘Pearl’ always gifted her gummy bears in ARIZ’s early times, when she still hadn’t told the fans that she loved gummy bears so much. Yujin knew that it was her favorite even way before.

 

“So, where do you want me to start? That I’m a chaebol, the sole daughter and heiress of one of the biggest conglomerate companies in South Korea or… the fact that I’m ‘that’ childhood friend of yours?” Yujin broke the silence, sipping on her soda.

 

With a sigh, Minjoo shrugged. “The chaebol part… I already connected the dots. No wonder you never bat an eye to expenses on being a fan, and you liked to give us a lot of expensive gifts. Heck, you always buy hundreds of albums each comeback.” She replied, and Yujin just smiled mildly at her. “Of course. You’re wealthy as hell to be able to do that.”

 

“Yeah. All of those came from my own pocket money so it’s alright. It makes me happy that you guys always treasure my gifts. And I just want to support you guys no matter what.” Yujin said with a chuckle. Minjoo was slightly surprised at the revelation. “Hmm. If you’re wondering… I’m working in our company now. I’m kind of training to be the next chairwoman yet at the same time, I’m already handling many other company affairs. I’m working behind my father’s back so my schedule isn’t tight. That explains why I’m always present in the group events.”

 

Yujin also explained that she wasn’t really exposed to the media. She liked privacy as much as possible, she didn’t want her name to be known, and would rather work behind the shadows until the highest title would be passed to her at the right time. She also never really went to any gathering like Ms. Jo’s party before unless it was really important. Since her father was one of Ms. Jo’s most important business partners — Yujin was forced to come, and there was when fate decided to play on them.

 

“I never really recognized you, you know? You really grew up so well. You’re taller than me now!” Minjoo said, puffing her cheeks in fake annoyance but in fact, she liked their height difference.

 

Yujin laughed at that, shaking her head as she took a sip from her soda. “It’s my intention not to be recognized by you. That’s why I hid my face. And my name too.” She whispered, finally starting to explain that topic. “Until finally, I gained courage recently, and decided to take a few steps. The pink fox. I know that will answer my question if you still remembered my existence; and much to my surprise, you treasured that keychain I gave.”

 

Yujin also explained that the reason she was afraid to reveal herself was because Minjoo might’ve forgotten her already so she decided to stay hidden and supported Minjoo and the group with everything she got. She also talked about how she discovered Minjoo in an article about a new girl group’s debut and was surprised to find her childhood friend that she had been missing a lot there! With that, she didn’t let the chance pass and became Minjoo’s loyal supporter and fansite. Yujin watched her grow from the side and was proud.

 

The younger also shyly explained that the main reason why she gave Minjoo everything she had deserved to make her feel happy was…

 

“It was sort of… my pay back. In my younger years, you were only my friend. You accompanied me. You protected me. You made me happy. Minjoo, this is the only way I can pay you back for the kindness you showed me when we were kids.” Yujin responded, biting her lower lip and Minjoo’s heart melted.

 

She was about to say that she didn’t need to because Yujin was her friend, and no one deserved to be bullied because of petty reasons, and many more — but she did not say anything. She’d rather listen to Yujin first. The younger woman also gave her a meaningful smile, she also knew that Minjoo was going to say stuff like that. Typical Kim Minjoo, Yujin knew her really well.

 

“I know, I know. It’s too much but please, let me. This… whatever I’m doing. Supporting you, supporting your group. I came to love what I’m doing, and I slowly fell inl—” Yujin paused, blushing hard then shook her head to dismiss it but continued speaking again. Minjoo’s brow twitched, her heart skipped a beat. “I mean, I slowly got used to it. I got close to the members and to you that I don’t want to detach myself. Until the end, I will be ARIZ’s fan. It’s true, you can’t really escape once you enter that ARIZ zone.” Yujin added with a wink.

 

“Slowly fell in love?” Minjoo murmured, and Yujin visibly froze, looking like a deer caught in headlights. “Yujin, be honest. You know, I’m not dumb and I’m always such a curious cat. You fell in love with the group, hmm?” asked the woman, eyeing Yujin closely who was sweating, and nervous.

 

Although Minjoo’s own thoughts made her own self disappointed. She had to make sure. She didn’t want to assume. And she wanted clarification.

 

Yujin opened , ready to lie but suddenly, she just couldn’t find herself to lie at all in front of Minjoo. She stared back at Minjoo’s eyes softly and lovingly, there was a glint in her eyes, and Minjoo could feel her heart racing already.

 

“Of course, I came to also love the group but…” Yujin paused, pursing her lips — she was nervous but didn’t back down to stare right back at Minjoo’s awaiting eyes. “The more I spent time with you. The more I support you. The more I see you. The more I got to know about you...” whispered Yujin then took a deep breath. “The more difficult it became for me to like you in that way, Minjoo.”

 

Minjoo wasn’t even breathing at that point. Her heart was drumming wildly, and she could only freeze and stare. Yujin gave her a bitter smile.

 

“Is that weird? I know we’re childhood friends, and ever since, my little self promised to marry someone like you, I definitely had a crush on you. And until now, my heart still yearned for you only. It only intensified as we interacted often in fansign sessions and other events. I don’t just see you as an idol. I came to slowly love everything about you, even your flaws. You made me smitten at how passionate you are. You are so hardworking. Successful but humble, and remained a kind person… tell me Minjoo,” Yujin paused, chewing on her bottom lip but her serious gaze remained sparkling and sincere.

 

“How am I supposed to expect not to fall in love with you after quite a time?”

 

Minjoo’s heart exploded with rainbows and flowers bloomed in her chest. She was speechless, her eyes were wide, and she was beyond shocked at the sudden confession yet… yet… her heart… it rejoiced happily.

 

Yujin sighed after that, smiling bitterly to herself, and shook her head before standing up, taking their trash. “Let’s forget about it. It’s pretty much nothing. It’s already getting late, let me take you home. You probably have early schedule tomorrow.” She whispered, disappointment lingering around her tone. She didn’t even wait for Minjoo’s response, she just straight up panicked, and was… scared of rejection.

 

Minjoo didn’t say anything. She couldn’t bring herself to. She was confused, and at the same time, she was not. She was simply flabbergasted at the sudden turn of events. This woman… her childhood friend, and her biggest fan — was really in love with her? That way? It sounded too good to be true!

 

So, same as Yujin, she stayed silent until they reached the car and even on the way home, she never said anything. Her mind was running, and she couldn’t even form a word. She only spoke when Yujin asked for her address, and she only answered to drop her off where she fetched her.

 

Soon, they reached the bus shelter. Yujin was really gloomy and sad. Minjoo was guilty. This night was supposed to be lighthearted and fun, catching up with Yujin. Well, she didn’t expect it either!

 

Minjoo opened the door, and hesitated for a moment. Yujin waited for her patiently, hoping that she would probably at least say goodbye.

 

“Will you go to the fansign event tomorrow?” Minjoo found herself asking.

 

Yujin masked her disappointment, pursing her lips, and gave out a nod — also a tight smile. “Of course. I just can’t miss it.”

 

The idol took a deep breath, and also nodded. For some reason, she couldn’t turn around, and take another glance at Yujin. She was afraid that she might do something out of hand. She would think of everything first before acting.

 

“Good. See you tomorrow. Drive safely, please.” Minjoo said as she finally hopped off the car, and waited for Yujin’s reply.

 

“Will do. Good night, Minjoo.”

 

With that, Minjoo gently closed the door, and instantly — the car went away, zooming through the road with great speed. Yujin was not a reckless driver, but she was skilled so Minjoo wasn’t too worried. She was just worried that what might’ve happened that night would strain their… relationship? Friendship?

 

Sighing, Minjoo went back to the dorms. And got greeted with silence. The others were probably sleeping now. After all, they had schedules tomorrow. She silently thanked God because she couldn’t afford to explain what happened to the others. She must rest now too. Hopefully, her thoughts would allow her to sleep even just for a few hours.

 

Because after learning Yujin’s romantic feelings for her? Hm. Minjoo was in doubt that drowsiness would visit her.

 

///

 

“Are you sure you’re okay? You’re still in a great daze,” Sakura finally asked when they were on their way to the fansinging venue. Minjoo yelped on her seat, turning to the older and only foreigner member.

 

Well, it looked like they finally snapped at Minjoo’s gloomy mood and silentness. Ever since they went to their first schedule earlier in the morning, Minjoo was wearing a very grim expression, and one could tell she didn’t get a wink of sleep last night so they did not say anything. But when they kept seeing that their leader’s mind was out of the gutter that day, their concern rose up until it became unbearable.

 

“You know, you can tell us your worries, unnie.” Yuri piped in, her expression was really sad and worried. Wonyoung was also wearing a worried face, puckering her lips. Their managers were silent but they were obviously concerned for Minjoo too, they noticed her behavior.

 

Minjoo chewed her lower lip, suppressing a sigh. “It’s just… nothing. I just have a lot in my mind but I’ll be good soon. Promise. I’ll tell you guys what happened soon, alright? Seriously, nothing bad happened.” She replied, giving them a reassuring smile but they weren’t relieved at all, instead, they were ten times more worried but since Minjoo said that she would say it soon, then they would wait — they wouldn’t be able to force Minjoo to say something either anyway. The best thing to do was to give her space and wait for her to open up herself.

 

This was the first time that Minjoo looked so troubled and down but they couldn’t do anything at all because the leader would rather keep it to herself first before opening up. But they were confident that it wasn’t that bad at all. Minjoo never lied, she was a bad liar and everyone knew that. She was just really occupied by her thoughts but even so, she was still professional and did her job nicely despite having a lot of thoughts in her mind at the moment.

 

There was only one conclusion anyway; the reason why Minjoo was like this — it was definitely because of Pearl-nim or Jin. Yes, Minjoo talked about her to the members before she went with her that night. She also talked about how Jin might be the childhood friend of hers that Minjoo liked to talk about to them when they were still trainees.

 

It was the reason why they let Minjoo go with the woman. They also spent almost five years meeting Jin every event, and they knew very well that the mysterious fan wouldn’t do anything bad. They really trusted her that much.

 

On their way to the fansign, the staff were confused because Minjoo looked really gloomy when she was always happy when it was a fansigning event. They then entered the venue with a smile, Minjoo made sure that her smile wasn’t tight or awkward as she waved — and as they walked, Minjoo tried to spot a familiar person, and she immediately spotted her — Yujin always stood out like a sore thumb.

 

Hmm. Despite what happened last night. She still attended. What a dedicated fan that she was…

 

The fan signing session immediately started, and Minjoo tried her best to calm down, and think of what to say to Yujin. She shouldn’t be too tense or awkward.

 

Finally, she spotted Yujin. The woman was wearing her usual mask and cap; a black hoodie, shorts, and white sneakers. Yuri was the first as usual, and Minjoo was the last. The members were happy to see Yujin, and for sure, they would ask about something regarding Minjoo or what happened to them a few days ago.

 

Minjoo tried her best to entertain the fan in front of her, but couldn’t help but to glance at Yujin from time to time. And when Yujin sat in front of Sakura, the atmosphere between them suddenly became so heavy that Minjoo noticed it. They looked like they were having a serious conversation but Sakura was too far, and it was too noisy around for Minjoo to eavesdrop.

 

“Minjoo-ssi?”

 

“Ah, I-I’m sorry. I got distracted for a moment,” Minjoo apologized to the fan in front of her, flashing him a dashing smile that made the fan squeal — forgetting that Minjoo almost forgot he existed for a moment.

 

Finally, Yujin shifted to Wonyoung. And the youngest obviously brightened at her appearance, talking animatedly, and Minjoo could hear a bit of their conversation. In contrast to Yujin and Sakura’s conversation, Wonyoung initiated a rather bright, lighthearted conversation with Yujin. She happily teased Yujin, however, Minjoo still couldn’t hear much because they were a little bit away and it was still very noisy at the venue — the fans kept calling for their attention and all, plus their songs were blasting loudly around.

 

But it didn’t go unnoticed to Minjoo’s keen eyes that Yujin let out a laugh with Wonyoung. They were seriously having a fun conversation it may seem. Minjoo could see from her spot that Yujin’s eyes were sparkling as she stared at Wonyoung — this was how Yujin looked at her…

 

. Why was she feeling solemn about this… why was she feeling jealous? Over that? Why would she be? Heh, she didn’t like Yujin that way… right?

 

Minjoo gave the fan a tight smile, handing her the signed album, and bid her goodbye. She waited for Yujin, eyeing her from her seat. She was still having a conversation with Wonyoung happily. The manager already asked Yujin to scoot closer but Wonyoung gestured her to wait.

 

The leader couldn’t help but to snort. She didn’t know why she was feeling sulky like this… well, she was sulky whenever Yujin was paying attention to the other members like how she gave her attention to Minjoo — one mentioned it before but she refused to admit it because it was so pathetic. She wasn’t that possessive. Over a fan too? Geez. But then… Yujin was not a fan. Minjoo never really saw her as one…

 

Finally, Wonyoung pushed the album to Minjoo’s side, and the latter grabbed it halfway. Yujin and Wonyoung did a high-five as they bid their goodbyes to each other. Minjoo’s eyes twitched. Yujin never did that to other members, she barely asked for fanservice.

 

When Yujin gave a last wave to Wonyoung, and turned to Minjoo, her shoulders went slump — awkwardly walking in front of her, and sat on the chair. Minjoo gave her a smile, it was awkward and tight. She was suddenly nervous facing Yujin again after that night, opening the album and focused on signing the album but she frowned when Yujin did not utter a word.

 

“Nothing to tell me?” asked Minjoo.

 

Yujin blinked, reaching to scratch the exposed part of the bridge of her nose. “I…” She paused then exhaled. “Forget what I said that night. Please. Let’s pretend that nothing happened.”

 

Minjoo was dumbfounded, her heart ached a bit when she heard that. “That’s not what I meant…” She mumbled, sighing. She actually meant stories about volunteering or something but then, Yujin might be busy these past few days.

 

However, Yujin remained silent until Minjoo fully signed the album. It was so unusual. They should be chatting happily, not being this awkward.

 

“Sorry again if everything turned out like this because I slipped and said things that I wasn’t supposed to say. You must be really uncomfortable now.” Yujin mumbled, and Minjoo immediately shook her head to refuse the idea but the taller woman’s eyes were sad, unconvinced.

 

Minjoo wasn’t really uncomfortable. Until now, she was still troubled and confused about her own feelings. She’d yet to sort it out. It was conflicting, confusing her. All she knew was she didn’t want everything to turn out like this between them, it was suffocating. She didn’t want this kind of set up. Her heart was really withering.

 

“No. Don’t say that.” Minjoo whispered but she couldn’t add anything more. This time, Yujin was the one who picked up the signed album. “Are you going to go to the last fansign in two days?” She then asked, looking up at Yujin because the woman already stood up.

 

Yujin nodded. “Of course, I will.”

 

Minjoo took a deep breath. “I’ll anticipate your arrival then.”

 

With that, Minjoo just followed Yujin’s retreating figure longingly.

 

Slowly, the answers on her own questions finally started to form.

 

///

 

After two sleepless nights, finally, Minjoo sorted her feelings out. She really thought of this very much since she knew it was a serious matter. She thoroughly fixed her feelings out, analyzing it carefully. She had never felt this way to anyone before so it was very foreign but with the members’ help, she got the hint and she herself connected the dots afterwards.

 

It took a lot of courage to admit something that she had been trying to deny for years. Heh, everything was presented in front of her but Minjoo refused to acknowledge such feelings. She thought it might be weird, just like how Yujin thought the same. Weird.

 

How could it be that weird then when they didn’t see each other as an idol and a mere fan?

 

For almost five years, Minjoo knew exactly that to her — Yujin wasn’t a fan to her, a mere supporter. They never interacted like that, they were comfortable with each other because Minjoo knew deep inside her that this person — was very familiar to her, and close to her heart. And when Minjoo learned that Yujin was her most treasured childhood friend, it explained how she found comfort and small happiness on seeing her from time to time.

 

It was easy to figure but hard to admit and accept. For someone like Minjoo who never felt something deep like this, it was difficult to sink the feeling in. But in the end, she was certain. She needed to fix everything with Yujin.

 

Minjoo just found herself already entering the venue for their last fan signing — this time it was way more crowded, and noisy. Out of instinct, Minjoo put up her professional facade. As she walked to the stage, Minjoo’s eyes roamed, only finding a certain person. And as expected, she was right there in the last row.

 

It felt like eternity and it felt like she talked to thousands of fans until Yujin was finally walking to the stage to get her albums signed. The mysterious fan had a smooth conversation with Yuri, even playing around her. When she went to Sakura, they weren’t tense anymore — Sakura was even giving Yujin meaningful smiles. And finally, when she was seated in front of Wonyoung, Minjoo’s heart felt like it was exploding.

 

The two had a happy interaction while Minjoo subtly tried to glance at them from time to time. Envy and jealousy bubbled in Minjoo’s chest as she watched and heard Yujin and Wonyoung laugh together at something silly the former said.

 

Finally, Yujin was once again seated in front of her — her lively aura faded into nothingness, replaced with awkwardness as she stiffly faced Minjoo. The idol just breathed out a soft sigh. “It’s great to see you again, Yujin-ah.” She said, fully turning her attention to her instead of the album.

 

Yujin visibly flinched a bit but she nodded. Minjoo was just so sure that the woman was wearing a small, tight smile behind that mask. And that thought made Minjoo chuckle.

 

“Don’t be too awkward anymore, please? Just be your usual self. I miss it.” mumbled Minjoo but Yujin clearly heard it. A sigh escaped Yujin’s mouth, muffled by the mask.

 

“I can’t. I… I’m sorry for being like this. I don’t know.” Yujin said with a conflicted tone. Minjoo’s eyes were sad, it was really saddening to see Yujin like this.

 

Taking a deep breath, Minjoo reached for Yujin’s hand that was resting on the table. The taller woman jolted out of shock but didn’t retract her hand from the hold. The idol chewed on her lower lip.

 

“You have nothing to apologize for, Yujin-ah.”

 

Yujin’s eyes widened at that, her hand clenched into fists and Minjoo felt that under her palm. She eyed Yujin, mustering courage to finally say some words that Yujin needed to hear the most. “Because I,” She paused, her breath hitched. Her heart was rattling. “I…” She couldn’t. Her eyes roamed around. There were a lot of cameras, and there were people around them that could hear her.

 

Yujin waited patiently.

 

But in the end, the words were still stuck at the back of Minjoo’s throat. She finally retreated her hand, frowning at herself then signed the album in a haste. Yujin just stared at her, a little bit disappointed and sad but she did not say anything more.

 

Minjoo closed the album, and handed it to Yujin. The time was up anyway. She leaned a little bit closer. “Give me a message once you’re ready. I want to meet you again, as Kim Minjoo. Not idol Minjoo. Not ARIZ’s Minjoo. Yujin-ah, see you again soon.” She whispered but Yujin clearly heard it.

 

With that, the idol put up her professional side again, and gave Yujin a huge smile, waving at her. Yujin couldn’t do anything as she was helplessly escorted by the bodyguard back to her seat, glancing at Minjoo through her shoulders.

 

Minjoo was wearing a genuine smile.

 

///

 

Yujin took a very deep breath as she stepped outside of the building. She ignored the happy murmurs of the other people as they also exited the place, scattered around, and ready to go home after a blast. The fansign event for ARIZ’s latest comeback had finally come to an end.

 

The air was chilly and fresh today, and Yujin couldn’t help but to take another lungful of air. As she walked to the parking lot, she thought of Minjoo again. She wanted to slap herself so bad. She hid herself for almost five years and never revealed herself to Minjoo yet after a night of confronting her with her real identity — she had to it up, and blurted out her feelings. Wow, way to go!

 

It was really a stupid move. But it already happened so all Yujin could do was to drown herself in guilt. She couldn’t even face Minjoo properly now. She was so tense and Minjoo was really sad.

 

Seriously. It was not like she fell in love on purpose. Ever since her childhood, Minjoo had been her knight shining in armor, her protector — and ever since, Yujin had always liked her even until she grew up, she was always just yearning for her dear childhood friend who always loved to ruffle her hair and say that because of her missing tooth, she became cuter, not uglier.

 

Yujin actually knew Minjoo when she was still a trainee. She just said that she stumbled upon an article about her group’s debut but Yujin had always kept an eye on her even before but never got the chance to personally meet her because she was a coward and too busy with her strict studies. She had a lot of connections and money, of course — Yujin would waste a whole fortune just to find Minjoo without hesitation.

 

Minjoo carved her whole childhood, and she was the one who taught Yujin to be confident, strong, and yet at the same time, be kind-hearted no matter what.

 

And Yujin was delighted to know that Minjoo stayed the same as before when she was still younger. She remained the same. The fairest, kindest, and most beautiful Kim Minjoo.

 

Sighing again to herself, she unconsciously raised her hand that was holding the signed album. She eyed Minjoo on the cover of the album, smiling directly at her sweetly with the other three members of ARIZ. It made her smile too.

 

“Ah. Such a pretty, golden-hearted lady. Who wouldn’t fall in love?” Yujin whispered to herself while wearing a sheepish grin then sighed again. She then remembered that Minjoo really asked her to give her a message once she was ready. Her heart really skipped a beat when she recalled those words, and Minjoo’s eyes… they were sparkling beautifully — like they wanted to say something but Yujin couldn’t pinpoint.

 

With a deep exhale, Yujin opened the album, checking the signatures. She smiled when she saw that the members really wrote short messages for her. Mostly, encouragement. Minjoo probably told them about what happened that night, and it was all good to Yujin — as long as the members were also fine with it. Surprisingly, they were even supportive, and kept teasing her.

 

Yujin was put to ease when she finally learned that the members didn’t hate her for liking Minjoo that way. Sakura was a little bit protective of Minjoo but Yujin wasn’t feeling offended. She had a right to act like that because Minjoo was one of her closest friends.

 

Finally, she flipped to Minjoo’s page — foolishly hoping that she might’ve left a message or something for her. She almost chucked bitterly to herself for hoping like that but when she stopped at the said page — there was indeed a short message at the bottom of Minjoo’s signature.

 

Yujin felt her heart really stop for a good three second when she finished reading. She even shook her head, and slapped herself to check if it was a dream or she was just misreading things. But it was true. The words were written by a permanent marker, definitely Minjoo’s own neat handwriting.

 

I like you too, Yujin

 

And I’ll show you how sincere I am soon

 

Give me a call later?

 

A loud shriek could be heard around the empty parking lot.

 

///

 

A/N: anddd that’s a wrap whoops. sorry for finishing it like this again. this is like… my style lol but its definitely a happy ending uwu

 

thanks for commissioning me @/marydahuya !!! i hope you really liked this one. i even overwrote again KSKSKSKSKSKS its been a while since i wrote fluff, so it must be it HAAHHAHAHA but nevertheless i enjoyed writing it~

 

sorry for the mistakes, and please stay safe as always guys!