It’s always you.

It’s always you.

ONE – fine line.

 

“You and I are a mistake. We’re a ticking time bomb, Wendy. And I don’t want to pick up the pieces of what’s left after.”

 

Struggling, Irene directed a cold stare at the woman who was meant to be the love of her life and did her best to show resolve and not let her true emotions show within her gaze. Irene treaded on the line of composure, situating herself on the far opposite side of the room, hands tightly clutching the fabric of the couch in order to fight the turmoil and temptation to reach out to the younger woman and take back the hurtful words she’d just said.

 

But as things go, Irene should’ve known that getting out of this would be anything but easy. Because at that precise moment, Wendy decided to stand up and make her way towards her; every step eliminating the distance that Irene carefully put between them; the distance she clung to as an armor because now that Wendy was within reach, she knew resisting would be close to impossible. She really should’ve known better.  Because when it came to Wendy, Irene always loses – not that she ever minded in the slightest.

 

Wendy bent in front of her, a hand settling on her knee while the other moved to tilt Irene’s chin upward, allowing their eyes to finally meet.

 

“Tell me to go.” Wendy said, the steadiness of her hands a sharp contrast to the betraying tremble in her voice.

 

“Wendy-” Irene tried to remove herself from the younger woman’s grip but to no avail. The former gentleness in Wendy’s touch was no longer there - replaced instead by a firm grip, hints of fear and desperation lacing her every movement.   

 

“Look me in the eye and tell me this is what you want. Tell me you don’t love me anymore and I’ll walk out that door.” Though her words held so much resolve, Wendy’s gaze said otherwise.

 

And as she leaned forward, foreheads against each other, tips of their noses brushing, and their lips a breath away, Irene couldn’t do anything but ride down the shiver that wracked her frame at their close proximity.

 

Inhale. Exhale.

 

Fight or Flight.

 

“Irene.”

 

The whisper of her name from Wendy’s lips along with the sheer haze that came with loving her forced Irene into action – hands frantically clutching onto the lapels of Wendy’s jacket and fusing their lips together-

 

“CUT!”

 

The moment the director yelled a brief command to take five and signaled both actresses to approach the camera, Bae Joohyun wasted no time in releasing her grip on her co-star’s jacket while sneaking in a push of her own, causing the latter to fall flat on her in front of every person on set.

 

Seeing the embarrassment and slight flush on her face, Joohyun smirked in satisfaction before making her way to the director, a pissed-off and grumbling Son Seungwan hot on her heels and trailing not so far behind.

 

“Ladies, that was a really good take. But I still feel like we’re lacking something. The intensity I’m looking for isn’t quite there yet.”

 

With a smug look crossing her features, Joohyun looked at Seungwan, automatically assuming that the jab was directed towards the younger actress. Looking away in embarrassment, the latter internally prepared herself for a scolding as to how her acting abilities were quite lacking when the director chose to surprise her instead.

 

“Joohyun-ssi, I really need you to channel more into your emotions. You have to remember that your character is fighting an internal battle between sparing herself from getting hurt and fighting for the love of her life. Give me something to work with here.”

 

Both women were stunned into silence - Irene’s blood suddenly running cold while Wendy tried her best to stifle the chuckle that was daring to escape her lips.

 

Seungwan  1, Joohyun 0, she thought.

 

Sensing she was about to be made fun of, Joohyun turned and glared, eyes all sharp and focused.

 

“Don’t even think about it.”

 

“I’m not even doing anything-“

 

Before things could further escalate, the director stepped in and took it upon himself to interfere. “I don’t know what’s going on between the two of you, nor do I actually want to know.”

 

The women stared each other down, arms crossed in front of their chests, neither willing to admit defeat in the war they chose to wage on their own.

 

“Now, use the short break to rehearse your lines and figure out how both of you will give me your best work without killing each other in the process. Understood?”

 

Before Seungwan could even come up with an answer, Joohyun paid absolutely no mind to them, and callous as ever, simply walked away, heading to the direction of her trailer.

 

Bowing her head in embarrassment, Seungwan could only glance back before sprinting to the direction Joohyun went to so she can give the older woman a piece of her mind. Trying her best to calm down, Seungwan took a deep breath as she reached the actress’ trailer right before pouring all her frustration through each pound of her fist on Irene’s door.

 

“Yah! Bae Joohyun!”

 

Despite being outside, Seungwan could clearly hear the strain in the older woman’s voice as she yelled.

 

“Get lost, Son Seungwan!”

 

Not one to give up, Seungwan forego all pretense of being gentle and decided to knock as hard as she could on the metal door while leaning her body against it, her voice getting increasingly louder by the minute just to get Joohyun’s undivided attention.

 

“BAE JOOHYUN! I’M NOT LEAVING UNTIL YOU LET ME IN. OPEN THIS DOOR, YOU DIFFICULT WOMA-“

 

Realizing it was a mistake to put too much of her weight forward, Seungwan was unable to finish her poor excuse of an insult as the door suddenly opened and the next thing she knew, she was off-balance and stumbling inside. And out of all things she could expect as she braced herself for the impact, Seungwan didn’t contemplate falling, quite literally, into no other than Bae Joohyun herself – quick and steady arms finding themselves around Seungwan’s waist and holding her up at the last moment.

 

Caught in a trance, Seungwan couldn’t help but bask in their sudden closeness – cheeks heating up at the feel of Joohyun’s arms around her and eyes fluttering as her gaze lingered over Joohyun’s delicate features, meeting the older woman’s concerned stare - her hands unconsciously coming up to rest on Joohyun’s shoulders as she secretly willed the moment to go on for just a tad bit longer.

 

But just as it started, reality decided to come and crash back in when Joohyun began to realized the position they were in and abruptly let go of her, keeping whatever proximity they had to the minimum – the once look of concern was no longer there and was instantly replaced by the same mask of indifference that Joohyun just put around others like clockwork.

 

Turning away to hide the light flush in her cheeks, Joohyun walked further into her trailer in order put more distance between them. Leaning against the small counter on the end of the small space, Joohyun pinched the bridge of her nose in irritation before facing Seungwan.

 

“Can’t I have my break in peace without any of you bothering me?”

 

It’s sufficient to say that if Seungwan didn’t know any better, she would’ve flinched at the annoyance and harshness in the tone that came with Joohyun’s words – that if she were some other person, she would’ve attributed it to stress or to the diva behavior that almost all award-winning actresses have.

 

But Seungwan wasn’t just any other person. Especially not to Joohyun.

 

“Joohyun, listen- “

 

“No. You know what? Since it’s you who came here while I was minding my own business, I’m the one who gets to talk while you stand there and listen.”

 

Safe to say, Seungwan was stunned into obedience.

 

“How dare he say that I was lacking emotion. That I’m not giving the scene my all? Every single time I’m in front of the camera, I put in my best. I give my best. What right does he have to tell me that I’m not doing good enough?”

 

“Joohyun.”

 

And as much as she tried to interrupt, all of Seungwan’s efforts so far were to no avail as Joohyun continued to release her wrath on her newfound target – her.

 

“And don’t even get me started on you. You think you have one up one me, Seungwan? You think that you can get under my skin with your smirk? With your little comments and snide remarks that you think I don’t hear? Then I’m sorry but you’ll just be disappointed- “

 

“Hyun-ah.”

 

And as soon as the term of endearment slipped from Seungwan’s lips, both women visibly recoiled – Seungwan flinching at her sheer carelessness and Joohyun at the memories that lingered with the nickname that only Seungwan was able to call her then.

 

Fueled by a sudden burst of anger, Joohyun didn’t even realize that she was stepping forward and slowly eliminating the distance she put between them until her accusatory finger landed on Seungwan’s chest.

 

“You have no right.” Push. “absolutely no right to call me that.” Another jab of her finger.  “Not anymore.”

 

Amidst all this, Seungwan allowed herself to be pushed around, calmly accepting the anger that was aimed at her, knowing that Joohyun had every right to be in this state.

 

Seungwan always prided herself in being able to separate her personal and work life. And she just knew deep down that Joohyun honored the same. But when fate decides to put two power actresses in a romance movie, it’s only about time until things start to get ugly – especially when said actresses are recent exes whose ending in real life is the complete opposite of the characters they’re set to portray. The only difference in this case is the fact that Wendy chose to fight for Irene. Seungwan didn’t.

 

Throughout the period they’ve been filming, Seungwan and Joohyun did their best to avoid each other, knowing that it will only take so much for either of them to snap - with Joohyun’s tactic of doing everything to embarrass and piss Seungwan off while Seungwan retaliated with snide and sarcastic comments of her own in order to rile up the older woman. They’ve managed to successfully keep their dirty laundry to themselves until now that they’ve been given the opportunity to be alone with their baggage hanging over them.

 

And as Joohyun continued to attack her with those tiny fists, Seungwan tried her best to stop and calm her down – even though seeing how much she hurt Joohyun almost made Seungwan just want to let the older woman have her fair share of hits just to compensate for the bubbling guilt within her.

 

Finally holding her ground, Seungwan used the remaining strength she had to grab onto Joohyun’s arms - clutching both hands in her own and placing them against her chest in order to stop their assault, and tugging Joohyun further into her space and trapping her there.

 

And for the second time that day, Joohyun and Seungwan found themselves in close proximity of each other, the turmoil of emotions that overwhelmed her and the warmth radiating from Seungwan’s body making Joohyun’s breath hitch in .

 

Seungwan wasn’t immune to the other woman’s effect on her either as her gaze involuntarily shifted towards Joohyun’s soft lips, almost tasting the sweetness on her own if she thought back on their kisses hard enough.

 

“Hyun-ah.”

 

Breaths mingling and the tips of their noses touching, the two allowed themselves to get lost in the haze, Joohyun’s arms moving on their own accord to wrap around Seungwan’s shoulders, inching closer and closer until their lips were touching-

 

KNOCK

 

With the loud sound startling them, the pair instantly jumped away from one another - the interruption feeling like a harsh bucket of cold water being doused on them.

 

“Ms. Bae! Ms. Son! They need you back on set!”

 

Sensing that Joohyun was too stunned to respond, Seungwan shakily answered, her voice as unsteady as to how shaken she felt. “We’ll be right there.”

 

Sensing eyes on her, Seungwan met Joohyun’s piercing gaze, uncertainty and a lot of unanswered questions lingering in one single look.

 

“Hyun- “

 

“They need us on set.”

 

And without waiting for an answer, Joohyun walked away, leaving Seungwan in the trailer to ponder and dwell on her conflicting thoughts.

 

Heaving out a sigh, Seungwan slumped against the wall and allowed herself to catch up with what just happened before making her way back to the shooting site. And as her fingers moved to touch her lips, she fought the shiver that ran down her spine at the tingling sensation that lingered when Joohyun’s lips brushed against her own.

 

Both of them back on set and ready to film, they assumed their positions from the last scene and waited for their cue.

 

3, 2, 1 and ACTION.

 

“Look me in the eye and tell me this is what you want. Tell me you don’t love me anymore and I’ll walk out that door.”

 

And just like their previous take, Seungwan leaned forward and rested their foreheads against each other with the tips of their noses grazing each other, preparing themselves for their characters’ kissing scene. If Joohyun was affected by their earlier encounter, she showed no indication of being such.

 

 “Irene.”

 

As Seungwan finished her last line, she anticipated the clutch of Joohyun’s hands on her lapels to pull her in for their characters’ first kiss. But what Seungwan didn’t expect was to see the to see was the sight of unshed tears in Joohyun’s eyes. What she didn’t expect was to hear Joohyun utter the words she didn’t get to say when Seungwan broke her heart all those months ago. Words that weren’t even part of their script.

 

“God, I hate you so much.”

 

And before she could react, Seungwan was suddenly in Joohyun’s strong grip and being pulled for an earth-shattering kiss. Lips crashed against lips, the two of them getting lost in the moment, characters thrown aside, scene already forgotten. From the moment they touched, it was no longer the bittersweet moment between Wendy and Irene but now the desperate clash of lingering emotions and unsettled feelings between Joohyun and Seungwan. As the kiss deepened, Seungwan could no longer tell who bit the other’s lip first but found herself rushing to reciprocate, heat travelling in her body at the feel of Joohyun’s tongue finding her own. And if they noticed their tears mingling in between, the two choose to pay no mind to it.

 

“CUT!”

 

The lights went on and the noise of the staff, although present, was merely a buzzing sound to Seungwan as the pounding in her ears was the only thing she could hear. And before she could even ask Joohyun just exactly what happened, their director was already heading towards their way, words of praises and admiration slipping from his lips at the spectacular performance he just witnessed.

 

“And that improvised line! It added so much to the scene. I always knew you had it in you, Joohyun!”

 

Sparing a glance, Seungwan wasn’t surprised to see that Joohyun was already looking at her – unbothered by the comments and praises from the people around them. And as they continued to exchange fleeting looks every now and then, Seungwan knew one thing for sure -  there was only such a fine line between portraying Wendy and Irene to reverting back to Joohyun and Seungwan.   

 

And at this very moment, with their close encounter in the trailer and Joohyun’s moment of vulnerability in expressing her true feelings, it seemed like both of them were struggling to find the distinction.

 

 

 

TWO – I can be nice.

 

After a grueling eight hours, a sudden cold blue on the table, and numerous instances of resuscitation, Seungwan let out a sigh of relief as she finished the last suture to mark the end of her operation.

 

Stepping away from the table and polite as ever, she bowed to her juniors and assisting staff, thanking them for a job well done.

 

And after hearing similar words of affirmation and seeing them bow in assent, she stripped off her surgical wear and moved to the scrub area where she encountered her best friend and co-surgeon for the case.

 

Looking up at her, Dr. Kang Seulgi, gave her a wistful smile before handing her a scrub of her own. Accepting it gratefully, the two found themselves washing off the marks of today’s work in silence - only the steady sound of the water and the beeping of the equipment to accompany them as the exhaustion and fatigue of the day began to sink in.  

 

Turning off the faucet, Seulgi turned to Seungwan, giving her a pat on the shoulder and her signature eye smile.

 

“Good work in there, Doctor Son. Or should I say, Chief Son.”

 

Scoffing at the praise and what Seulgi was hinting at, Seungwan gently nudged her same-aged friend, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as they left the OR together.  

 

The two doctors finished rounding on their patients and headed to the nurses’ station where their close friend slash Seulgi’s girlfriend Sooyoung, a fourth year resident, was waiting for them, their post-op charts in hand.

 

Looking up from her seat, Sooyoung instantly beamed at the sight of her two favorite attendings. “Dr. Kang, I’ve finished your post-ops for Mrs. Han in 318 and Mr. Park in 310. “

 

And being the little she is, Sooyoung didn’t hand the charts just yet, and instead raised them above her head, turning her cheek sidewards indicating that she wanted to get a kiss from her girlfriend before anything else.

 

Maybe because it was past midnight and there was nobody around except for some nurses who were looking for gossip, but Seulgi, who was normally reserved and shied away from public displays of affection, complied with the request and planted several kisses on Sooyoung’s cheeks, to the younger woman’s pleasant surprise.

 

After handing Seulgi her charts, Sooyoung finally tuned to Seungwan with the same mischievous look on her face.

 

Scoffing, Seungwan shook her head and slowly backed away from the younger woman who was approaching her with a eating grin on her face. “Don’t even think about it, Park Sooyoung. Or I swear I’ll tell your chief resident to put you on scut for the whole week.”

 

Letting out a hearty laugh, Sooyoung ruffled Seungwan’s hair and playfully cooed at her. “Aigoo, unnie. Don’t worry. Seulgi unnie’s the only attending I want to kiss.”

 

Fake gagging at the thought, Seungwan rolled her eyes and snatched the charts from Sooyoung who thankfully let her off easily.

 

Leaning against the counter, she found herself burying her face further into her notes when she felt the lingering stares of her two friends over her head.

 

“So, Wannie. Tell me. Are you nervous for tomorrow?”

 

And before Seungwan could answer, Sooyoung cut her off and wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Are you kidding? Seungwan unnie has nothing to be worried about. She’s destined to become Chief.”

 

Shrugging the statement off, Seungwan berated her friends and shook her head at their confidence. “Yah. We’re not sure of anything yet. And it’s not like I’m the only contender for the position.”

 

Silence suddenly surrounded the three - Seulgi barely making any effort to conceal the shudder that ran through her at the mere thought of Seungwan’s competition.

 

“Right. I almost forgot that Dr. Bae is also vying for Chief.”

 

Sooyoung rolled her eyes at her girlfriend.  “Well it’s not like the Ice Queen will win against Seungwan unnie. No one wants a heartless chief anyway.”

 

Despite the two’s trust in her, Seungwan could only sigh in response -  her words coming out whinier and more defeated than she wanted it to be. “Dr. Bae’s not all that bad, actually. She’s good at what she does. She’s hardworking and dedicated. And not to mention she brings a lot of money and publicity because of how talented and beautiful she is-.”

 

Flick.

 

Seungwan was definitely dumbfounded as Seulgi stopped her train of thought by delivering a nice, snapping hit to her forehead.  “What the hell was that for?”

 

Staring pointedly, Seulgi warned her best friend. “Yah, Dr. Bae is your competition. Why are you talking about her like you’re in love with her? Just because she has this weird thing for you and flirts with you every chance she gets doesn’t mean you’ll let her get under your skin!”

 

Adding fuel to the fire, Sooyoung naturally joined in on the assault. “I swear to God, unnie. You can’t even think about Dr. Bae like that if you wanna be my friend. I’m a fourth year resident for crying out loud but every time I’m on her service, she just has me doing sutures!”

 

The three were so engaged in their own little world that they failed to notice the presence of the person subject of their conversation.

 

“And that’s where you’ll continue to be assigned until you prove that you actually have any skills worth using in the operating room, Dr. Park.”

 

And just like that, Sooyoung’s chattiness dissipated – replaced by a sudden look of fear and humiliation at being called out by no other than the Ice Queen herself, Dr. Bae Joohyun.

 

With a self-satisfied smirk, Joohyun reveled in the panic her appearance caused among the three doctors before raising her eyebrow at Sooyoung.

 

“Dr. Park, since you think you’re too good enough to be doing sutures, how about I offer you actual medicine practice? There are two rectal exams waiting for you in Rooms 204 and 207. And after that, I need you to track how many lego pieces the boy in 301 already discharged.”

 

“Discharged? You mean from his poop?” From the looks of what she was being asked to do, Seungwan could only feel sorry for the younger resident, knowing there was nothing she can do to help her friend from escaping Joohyun’s wrath.

 

“I don’t see where else, Dr. Park. A fourth year resident like yourself should know by now that there are only two exit points in the human body.”

 

Sooyoung’s gaze flickered from Joohyun, to Seungwan, and lastly, to Seulgi – the look directed at her friends who also happened to be her bosses was clearly a cry for help. But not one to be disheartened easily, Sooyoung put on a brave face and donned a fake smile – knowing that to beat Dr. Bae, she had to show resolve and that she’s not that easy to trample on.

 

“Of course, Dr. Bae. My apologies. I’ll head over there right away.”

 

Passing Joohyun with a bow, Sooyoung moved towards the direction of the patient rooms. However, wanting the upper hand and when Joohyun wasn’t looking, Sooyoung turned quickly to face her friends and made a face behind Joohyun’s back, making the two doctors stifle their laughter so the resident wouldn’t get into further trouble.

 

Now that the three attendings were left alone, awkwardness settled among them and a long lasting bout of silence began until Seulgi surprised both Joohyun and Seungwan by deciding to speak.  

 

“Joohyun-ssi, I’m saying this as a surgeon and as a colleague. But as her attending, I know that Dr. Park is very capable and has the skills required to be operating, or at the very least, assisting in the OR. She’s already in her fourth year of residency. She needs training in every department possible and the fact that you’ve never let her assist on anything in plastics worries me as her mentor. And why did you even ask her to do those exams when it isn’t even under your department?”

 

For a long moment, no one dared to speak. Seungwan patted her best friend gently on the back, knowing that it was anything but easy for the other girl to express her feelings like this, especially to someone as intimidating and condescending as Joohyun.

 

Seungwan dared to look at Joohyun then, seeing the older woman staring at Seulgi with eyebrows raised. And if she was being honest, she didn’t know if that look meant Joohyun was impressed or appalled by Seulgi’s comments on her work etiquette.

 

“Seulgi-ssi. Know that when it comes to Dr. Park, anything you say won’t hold water. Because as far as I’m concerned, I will always see you as her significant other and not as her superior. And you may have your own standards for your girlfriend seeing that she can impress you in ways no one else can, but I’m different. So if I see it fit that she shouldn’t see the inside of an OR, then she won’t.”   Seulgi attempted to counter but was hung open – open and closing at the shock that came from Joohyun’s words.

 

Slamming shut the chart in her hands, Joohyun moved closer to the two with a subtle smirk on the corner of her lips. Upon reaching Seungwan, Joohyun’s lips curled into a mischievous smile – the same one that she’d always sport whenever she found it in her to mess with her.

 

Deliberately brushing against Seungwan as she passed by, Joohyun couldn’t resist teasing the younger woman – moving even closer and whispering near her ear, smiling in satisfaction when she saw Seungwan shiver in response to their proximity.

 

“And as for you Dr. Son, I’ll be seeing you and your pretty face later. I’m already looking forward to it.”

 

And just like that, Dr. Bae Joohyun went on her way, arrogance and victory in her every step – leaving two of her most reputable colleagues in a mess for very different reasons.

 

And as much as Seungwan felt bad for what transpired between Joohyun and Seulgi, her brain could only seem to focus on one thing at the moment.

 

She’ll be seeing me later?

 

***

 

As it turns out, it took many hours after their last encounter for Seungwan to understand what Joohyun actually meant when she said that.

 

After being on call for the rest of the evening, Seungwan barely had a few hours to catch up on sleep, eat her meals, take a long overdue shower, and review her notes for the surgeries she’ll do for the day.

 

Feeling much better and less fatigued as compared to hours ago, Seungwan walked the halls of the hospital and reveled in the energy present at this hour due to rounds – with interns eager to learn and please their attendings hoping to get a shot at surgery, residents constantly rolling their eyes at them for being babies at the bottom of the surgical food chain, and of course the attendings, who with their egos and overbearing confidence, act like they own the place.

 

Seungwan has always loved the hospital. And despite her nerves and self-doubts, she finds herself liking it just a little bit more today. Bowing and greeting the staff she passed on her way to the patient’s room, Seungwan had an extra skip in her stride. She was prepared. She was confident. She felt unstoppable. 

 

As Seulgi said, today’s a big day for her after all.

 

With a smile on her face, Seungwan picked up her patient’s chart from the nurses’ station before entering the room.

 

“Yeri-ssi, how are you doing today?”

 

“Hey, cool doc. You look better than the last time I saw you.”

 

Smiling at her favorite patient, Seungwan reciprocated the fist bump Yeri offered her. 

 

Turning to face the other doctors in the room, Seungwan gestured for them to begin. “Who’s presenting?”

 

An intern raised her hand and stepped up. “The patient’s name is Kim Yerim, 19 years old. She was diagnosed with advanced craniodiaphyseal dysplasia. She’s been admitted frequently for the past few months due to recurring headaches and nausea and has been diagnosed last week with a brain tumor caused by the bony fragments in her skull. She’s scheduled for a craniotomy with you this afternoon.”

 

“Thank you-“

 

“As of this morning, however, it seems like Dr. Son won’t be needed for today’s case.”

 

Turning her head so fast that it nearly caused her whiplash, Seungwan looked towards the source of the voice and recognized that it came from the Chief Song Ji Hyo and to Seungwan’s utter horror, trailing behind her was none other than Bae Joohyun herself - a playful glint in her eyes matched with a -eating grin at Seungwan’s gaping look.

 

Seungwan, along with the other doctors in the room, bowed in respect to their superior. Acknowledging them in return, the chief turned to Seungwan and patted her gently on the shoulder.

 

“Dr. Son, Yeri’s parents have informed us just this morning that instead of getting brain surgery, Yeri prefers to have the bone reconstruction procedure under Dr. Bae. And since she can’t have both, the patient believes that this surgery would be more of use to her in the near future.”

 

 Her gaze flickering from the chief, to Joohyun, then to Yeri, Seungwan couldn’t help but feel frustrated at what she just heard.

 

Sitting on the small space left on the hospital bed, Seungwan took a hold of Yeri’s free hand and gently covered it with her own.

 

“Yeri. Are you sure this is what you want to do? Not having the brain surgery could be fatal.”

 

“Doc, you know you’re beautiful right? Why do you think I like having you around, checking my vitals and all that?”

 

Despite herself, Seungwan couldn’t stop herself from blushing at the younger girl’s comment, especially with the number of her colleagues in the room.

 

“But seriously, ever since I was a kid, all I ever wanted was to feel normal. But everywhere I go, people would look at me and be disgusted just because I’m different from everyone else. Like I’m some kind of monster because of how I look. And I get that not going through brain surgery will kill me. But even if we do it, I’d still be risking my life anyway. So I’m choosing to do something that counts. If I’m lucky enough to wake up after the surgery, I want to start living. And not as this version of me. But as someone who can be normal and be treated as normal in this world, you know?”

 

Silence filled the room as Yeri finished, some eyes getting misty including Seungwan’s, even though she’ll deny it ‘til the end.

 

“Yah, how am I supposed to argue if you say things like that?” Seungwan playfully ruffled the younger girl’s hair.

 

“I’ll see you after the surgery, Doc! And don’t worry, even if Dr. Bae here isn’t bad to look at, you’ll always be my number one girl here in the hospital.”

 

“Gosh, save those flirty comments when you see me once you wake up, alright?”

 

And in that moment, a sudden vulnerability crossed Yeri’s features – for the first time, showing uncertainty and fear.

 

“You’ll be there right? Before and after the surgery?”

 

Seungwan gave her most reassuring smile.

 

“You bet.”

 

Hating to interrupt the touching exchange, the chief coughed subtly and the two took it as a signal.

 

“Okay, Yerim. Dr. Bae here will explain to you how we’ll go about the procedure. If something doesn’t sit right with you, feel free to interrupt her okay?”

 

And after sending one last finger heart in Yerim’s direction, Seungwan decided to leave as Joohyun started discussing her plan of action – not having the patience to listen to whatever the other doctor had to say considering the stunt she just pulled behind Seungwan’s back.  

 

The day had barely started but she already felt exhausted. Rubbing a hand over her face to ease the tension she was feeling, Seungwan could only think that she still had a long one ahead of her.

 

Trudging her way towards the elevator, she sighed in relief as the doors opened and revealed the empty lift. Slumping back against the railing, Seungwan allowed herself a short moment of rest.

 

But it seems that the universe had different plans for her today – because as the doors were about to close, a hand suddenly shot up in between to hold the elevator.

 

And just her luck, behind the doors revealed Bae Joohyun; a slight smirk immediately tugging at her lips at the mere sight of Seungwan, probably already coming up with other ways to rile her up even further than she already has.

 

Not noticing how tense she was, Seungwan unconsciously clenched her fists – her other hand coming up to pinch the bridge of her nose as she quietly willed the elevator to go faster.

 

“It’s definitely too early to have a frown on that face."

 

Seungwan held her breath.

 

Joohyun pressed even further.

 

Is there anything I can do to help, Dr. Son?”

The younger woman finally snapped and pushed the stop button on the elevator, the shrill of the alarm resonating inside the lift.

 

“What is your problem?”

 

Joohyun faltered her in her step – the pointed glare and the hostility in Seungwan’s tone immediately stopping her in her tracks. 

 

“Dr. Son-“

 

Despite herself, Seungwan found herself stepping closer and closer to the object of her frustrations.

 

“You’re arrogant.”

 

Step.

 

“You don’t listen to anyone but yourself.”

 

Step.

 

“You talk to my friends.”

 

Step.

 

“And you steal my patient – my most important patient –for what? Just to beat me in the running for chief?” Seungwan’s voice raised on its own as she found herself coming face to face with Joohyun, moving from her place near the doors to where Joohyun was at the farthest side of the lift.

 

Now that the older woman was near, Seungwan couldn’t stop herself from jabbing an accusing finger at Joohyun’s chest, her anger refusing to quell despite the number of hits she gave the other woman.

 

“Dr. Son, I-“

 

God, I hate you so much. Can’t you find it in you to be nice? Just once?”

 

And as Seungwan’s fists continued their assault upon Joohyun, arms flailing albeit causing no damage whatsoever, Joohyun decided she had enough and took it upon herself to calm Seungwan down.

 

Taking advantage of the situation, Joohyun caught Seungwan’s hands in her own just before she could hit her again, using her strength as much as she can to pin Seungwan’s arms above her head and hold her steady enough in order to get her attention.

 

“Seungwan-ssi.”

 

Despite being in Joohyun’s firm hold, Seungwan continued to struggle - their proximity and the fact that she was suddenly cornered, quite literally, definitely had her flustered; Seungwan’s cheeks turning a shade of pink and her breaths coming in rushed.

 

“Yah, Bae Joohyun what do you think you’re doing?!-“

 

Not knowing what else to do to calm the younger woman down, Joohyun did what first came to mind and released her hands from her grip. And just before Seungwan could think of putting any distance between them, Joohyun was quicker and instead put her hands on either side of Seungwan’s head; effectively trapping her and preventing her from going anywhere other than right where Joohyun wanted her.

 

True enough, Seungwan couldn’t do anything but stand and stare at Joohyun, her questioning gaze following every movement of the latter.

 

Considering she had nothing to lose, Joohyun went all in, lips tugging into a mischievous smirk before leaning in closer to whisper in Seungwan’s ear, lips grazing Seungwan’s skin with every move.

 

And if Joohyun saw how Seungwan shuddered in response, or if she felt Seungwan’s breath coming in pants due to how close their bodies were, then that’s something Joohyun would have to pat her back for later.

 

“Do you want to know why I’m arrogant? It’s because I know my capabilities and where I stand in this hospital. I don’t listen to anyone else because I doubt that anyone could even give me a better opinion than what I already know myself. And your friends? They’re not mine. So why should I bother about what I’d say to them? They sure as hell don’t bother either when they talk about me behind my back, hmm?”

 

Moving her face from where it was snugly tucked near Seungwan’s neck, Joohyun slightly pulled back to meet the younger woman’s eyes before giving her a genuine smile for the first time that day.

 

“And as for the patient, I didn’t do it to anger you. Or because I wanted to ruin your standing for chief. I did it because it’s what Yerim wanted. I know she’s an important to you, Seungwan. And you may have you own perceptions about me, but I promise you that I will never put my interests first before any of the patients.”

 

Hearing Joohyun explain and because Seungwan was finally able to quell her emotions from earlier, she was back to thinking rationally and couldn’t help but feel guilty after all the accusations she pinned on Joohyun.

 

Despite the humiliation and the nervousness that came because of how close they actually were in their current position, Seungwan already felt the need to apologize for the things she said moments ago.

 

“Joohyun, I didn’t mean-“

 

But the other woman wasn’t having it and placed a finger on Seungwan’s lips, effectively halting whatever she had to say.

 

“I know you think I’m cold and that I only care about myself. I’ve heard from the nurses that Dr. Kang thinks I’m calculating and no good. And god knows what other names and insults Dr. Park says when I’m not around.”

 

Joohyun shakes her head and laughs at the thought.

 

“But believe me I can be nice, Seungwan-ssi. I can be very nice if I want to be.”

 

And at that moment, Joohyun moved closer, taking Seungwan by surprise as their faces were mere inches away. And despite herself, Seungwan couldn’t understand why instead of pushing Joohyun away, she could only gasp and shut her eyes upon feeling the tips of their noses touching and the mingling of their breaths when their lips nearly grazed each other.

 

But as soon as it happened, reality came back when the elevator began to move – the shrill of the alarm no longer audible after Joohyun unpressed the stop button which Seungwan toggled earlier.

 

Realizing the actual situation, and the fact that Joohyun was definitely not about to kiss her, Seungwan opened her eyes and did everything to avoid Joohyun’s gaze and willed the elevator to move quicker or for the ground to swallow her whole, whichever would come sooner.

 

And as the lift stopped at the third floor, Seungwan released the breath she wasn’t even aware she was holding as Joohyun gradually moved away from her, not before laughing at the younger woman’s state of embarrassment.  

 

When the doors opened, Joohyun simply walked out without even looking back at her, not minding the pathetic state she left Seungwan in.

 

Left in both shock and incredulousness, Seungwan could only gape and stare as the doors finally began to close, Joohyun no longer in sight.

 

But for the second time that day, and to Seungwan’s detriment, Joohyun was back, giving Seungwan a sense of déjà vu as her hand once again held the elevator doors like she did moments ago.

 

“And Seungwan? Just so it’s clear. As of early this morning, I’m no longer in the running for chief.”

 

Seungwan couldn’t count how many times she’s been rendered speechless in the past few minutes.

 

“Wait, what? What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

Joohyun gave her a wry smile.

 

“Well, it means you’re the boss now. My boss, to be exact.”

 

Seungwan could only stare, hung open.

 

“And given that, I’m looking forward to being bossed around by you, Chief Son. Who knows? Maybe I’ll show you just how nice I am.”

 

Stepping away from the doors, Joohyun left her with one last smirk and a winked directed her way.

 

And as Seungwan was finally left alone, with the stress of the previous events catching up to her, she could only find herself focusing on one thought.

 

What the hell was that?

 

 

 

THREE – the cold war

 

The red velvet dorm was busy tonight. In different sides of their shared space, members flitted from room to room, some of them with various clothes in their hands, others pulling suitcases in order to stuff whatever they can before their respective rides arrive.

 

After finishing a long line-up of performances and schedules incidental to their recent comeback, the girls were finally given a break – a few days free of work to catch up on much needed sleep and to spend time with friends and family, before they had to resume promotions and prepare for future projects. Because as fun and exhilarating it always is to be in the presence of their dedicated supporters, the members were only human after all and at some point, the fatigue and the feeling of being worn out from all the rehearsals and schedules were bound to catch up to them.

 

Upon hearing the great news, most of the members began to plan, thoughts of how to fully maximize the rest days granted to them already running through their heads. And as such, Seulgi and Yeri contacted their families and decided to spend their time at home while Sooyoung planned on joining her friends for a short road trip outside the city.

 

And just like that, there were two left - Joohyun deciding to stay at the dorms since she was able to visit her family in Daegu a few weeks back before their schedules got hectic and Seungwan who as much as she wanted to go home, couldn’t due to how far she’d have to travel just to see her family.

 

Such arrangement was usual whenever these breaks happen. And normally it would’ve been okay – if only things weren’t so different.

 

Because the Joohyun and Seungwan who always had the need to be next to each other, to have their own little conversations and silent exchanges despite the chaos going on around them; the easiness it always was to be Joohyun’s Seungwan and Seungwan’s Joohyun was no longer there; and in their stead was unaddressed tension, messed up feelings, and lingering anger from the vivid memories of harsh words being hurled at each other as to see which one would break first.

 

Joohyun acknowledges she has a stubborn streak. And although she’s known Seungwan for a long time – back to their long and painful trainee days, to their debut days filled with worries and the years that followed after, it took this for Joohyun to realize that the younger woman had it in her too.

 

And as much as Joohyun banked on her pride, at her ability to show resolve and to remain unaffected, all she wanted to do was break. Because she would give anything to go back to the way they used to be. Back when it was entangled limbs, tender gazes, affectionate touches, silent reassurances, and gentle smiles.

 

Because Joohyun could hardly stomach how Seungwan would avoid her eyes now; or how she would flinch whenever their hands would brush in the slightest way when they stand a bit too close to each other. She hates how Seungwan would smile at her on instinct, but immediately shift once she remembers the predicament they’re in.

 

Joohyun hates how distant Seungwan is now. But at the same time, she doesn’t know how to make things better.

 

And that’s why Joohyun was currently cooped up in her room, just managing to send Yerim and Seulgi off when they knocked on her door earlier to bid their goodbyes.

 

Knowing she couldn’t avoid Seungwan forever, especially if they were going to be alone for a few days, Joohyun mustered whatever courage she had left and got up, peeking slightly through the gap in the doorway before leaving her room.

 

Looking around, the dorm seemed to be quiet – no sign of Seungwan whatsoever, the hallway with their rooms empty.

 

Just when Joohyun was about to walk towards their living room, a hand shot up and grabbed her arm, making her shriek in absolute shock.

 

“Yah, unnie! I think I’ve gone deaf.” Whipping her head, Joohyun found herself meeting Sooyoung’s gaze, a mixed look of surprise on her face as she plugged her ears.

 

“It’s not my fault you snuck up on me like that!” Joohyun scoldingly slapped Sooyoung’s arm with one hand while the other rested on her chest in attempt to slow down her breathing, her heartbeat still very loud in her ears.

 

“Where were you headed anyway, unnie?”

 

Joohyun made her way towards the direction of the kitchen as Sooyoung sat on their sofa, her suitcase already packed and ready. 

 

“I was planning to get a snack before you decided to attack me. I thought you were leaving early?”

 

“Oh. I told them I’d come by a little bit later because Wendy unnie insisted on packing some food for me before I go.”

 

Joohyun stopped in her tracks, realizing that Seungwan was in the kitchen. Deciding she wasn’t that hungry anyway, Joohyun made her way back towards Sooyoung and plopped down next to her on the couch.

 

Not one to miss anything, Sooyoung scoffed, attracting Joohyun’s attention.

 

“For god’s sake unnie, don’t you think this has gone on for too long?”

 

Joohyun simply shrugged, wanting to avoid the inevitable confrontation.

 

“I don’t know what you mean, Park Sooyoung. I just realized that I wasn’t hungry after all.”

 

“Are you sure? Because I thought you didn’t want to go near the kitchen because Wendy unnie is there.” Sooyoung raised her voice being the little she is, wanting to rile Joohyun up even further.

 

“Yah! She might hear you!” Joohyun nearly tackled Sooyoung, a hand clamped over to muffle her words.

 

But Sooyoung, being taller and stronger, managed to escape Joohyun’s grip, turning to her with a -eating grin on her face as if she managed to prove something. “So you were avoiding her.”

 

Joohyun huffed, slouching her shoulders in defeat and very much disappointed that she let Sooyoung discover her true emotions.

 

“Isn’t that what I should do, Sooyoung? She hates me now anyway.”

 

Seeing her normally strong unnie totally disheartened and defeated over their current situation, Sooyoung couldn’t help but feel bad as to how she acted and immediately edged closer to the older girl and wrapped her in a tight hug, chin resting on top of Joohyun’s head.

 

“Unnie, you know that’s not true right? You know she can do anything but hate you.”

 

It didn’t take Joohyun long to understand what Sooyoung was hinting at.

 

Surrounded by the safety and warmth of Sooyoung’s arms, Joohyun found herself feeling more and more vulnerable, the dam of emotions she’s been keeping at bay suddenly felt too much to repress.

 

“She won’t even look at me anymore, Sooyoung. I don’t know what to do anymore.” Joohyun’s voice broke, her lips trembling as she felt the familiar sting of unshed tears.Not wanting her member to see her like this, Joohyun tucked her face further into Sooyoung’s neck just until she could keep her emotions in control.

 

“You two are the most stubborn people I know. But I also know that neither of you can bear being like this for long. The other members and I hate seeing you and Seungwan unnie like this. So don’t give up okay, unnie? This will pass too, I’m sure of it.”

Despite always messing with her, Joohyun found herself feeling much better and reassured upon hearing Sooyoung’s words. “How do I even begin to get Seungwan to talk when she doesn’t seem to want anything to do with me?”

 

“Oh please, unnie. This is Wendy unnie we’re talking about. Wendy unnie who practically tends to you every chance she gets. If she chooses to avoid you, then come up with ways to get her attention. You can probably scream and she’d come at your beck and call.”

 

Pulling away, Sooyoung grabbed onto her shoulders and lifted her chin up to meet her gaze.

 

“And if that doesn’t work, you can always call me so I can bump your heads together in hopes of knocking some common sense into your brains, got it?”

 

Joohyun smiled and ruffled the younger girl’s hair. “Thank you, Sooyoung-ah.”

 

Cool as ever, Sooyoung simply shrugged it off, although Joohyun knew better.

 

“Sooyoungie, I packed you some snacks and some fruit slices for-“

 

Both of them immediately turned around and came face to face with Seungwan as if they weren’t just talking about her moments ago. Upon seeing Joohyun, the smile on Seungwan’s face completely dropped and was replaced by a passive look – such being noticed by both Joohyun and Sooyoung.

 

The three were suddenly surrounded with awkward tension and wanting to break the ice, Sooyoung immediately jumped up from her seat to hug Wendy. “Ahh unnie, you’re the best! What would I ever do without you?”

 

Hugging her back quickly, Seungwan laughed before pushing Sooyoung towards the door. “Don’t keep your friends waiting. You’re already late because I held you up.”

 

Looking at the two, Joohyun couldn’t help but feel like an outsider and envy what they have.

 

Grabbing her bag, Sooyoung put her shoes on and waved one last time at her unnies. “Bye moms! Try not to kill each other while I’m gone-“

 

Before she could embarrass them any further, Seungwan pushed Sooyoung out the door, not before giving one last reminder to have fun and be good while she was away.

 

Joohyun stood up then, rubbing her palms against her pants, nerves setting in now that none of the members were there to serve as a buffer between her and Seungwan. As much as Joohyun wanted it to stop, she couldn’t control her fidgeting as she came face to face with the younger girl.

 

“Unnie. Do you…uh, need something?”

 

I need you to talk to me.

 

I need you to stop hating me.

 

I need you to stop pretending like I don’t exist.

 

“Oh, I’m fine, Seungwan.”

 

 Coward, she thought to herself.

 

“I..uhm…I was just about to have dinner. Do you wanna join me?”

 

For a moment, Joohyun swore she saw Seungwan, her Seungwan, right before her– the same warmth in her gaze she always reserved for Joohyun flashed in her eyes, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips in response. But as soon as it came, the quicker it left. Standing upright, Seungwan offered her a tight smile that was more of a grimace than anything else.

 

“I’m not really hungry, unnie. But eat well. And I’ll be in my room if you need anything.”

 

Not even waiting for an answer, Seungwan hurriedly passed by her and headed towards her room.

 

After she heard the sound of the door closing, Joohyun allowed herself to break a little – her frustration and anger getting the best of her and before she knew it, she was already about to cry.

 

Clenching her fists, Joohyun decided that she’s had enough of this. She knows Seungwan has every right to be mad at her, but Joohyun’s just so exhausted of fighting a battle, the actual cause of which she didn’t even know; and the matter of who initiated the fight already blurry to her.

 

Completely torn and lost, Joohyun recalled Sooyoung’s words from their earlier conversation.

 

If she chooses to avoid you, then come up with ways to get her attention. You can probably scream and she’d come at your beck and call.

 

Sooyoung’s idea was stupid, she thought. But it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be effective right?

 

Joohyun decided she was completely out of her mind for even going by Sooyoung’s advice. But in choosing between looking like a fool and getting a chance to get Seungwan back, she’d gladly sacrifice her dignity for the latter.

 

Here goes nothing.

 

“SON SEUNGWAN!”

 

As the shrill of Joohyun’s voice resonated throughout the dorm, followed by a long bout of silence, she already began to devise different ways of killing Sooyoung if her plan didn’t work.

 

But to her surprise, she heard the muffled clatters from the side of Seungwan’s room followed by the loud slam of the door hitting the wall from being forcibly opened.

 

Daring to take a look, Joohyun saw Seungwan’s figure heading towards her, walking barefoot and looking disheveled, probably from hurrying after hearing her scream her lungs out.

 

“Seung-“

 

“Unnie, are you alright? Are you hurt? What happened? Why did you scream?” And out of all things Joohyun hoped the outcome would be, she didn’t expect to find herself suddenly in Seungwan’s space – frantic hands passing over Joohyun’s her arms, then over to firmly grasp her shoulders, eyes wide and worried; inspecting her up and down for any possible sign of injury or pain.

 

Joohyun knew she should probably answer but all she could do was stare and relish the contact. This was the closest she’s been to Seungwan in weeks and damn anyone who’ll judge her for wanting to revel in it.

 

Seungwan started to shake her by the arms at the lack of response. “Unnie, seriously! What’s wrong? I’m getting worried here.”

 

Irene wanted to answer. She really did.

 

But she didn’t understand why her instinct was to burst into laughter instead.

 

So Joohyun laughed to her heart’s content, barely able to sneak in a breath, as Seungwan started at her in bewilderment.

 

“You should’ve seen the look on your face! God, if I only knew this would actually work, I should’ve done it a long time ago.”

 

Seungwan immediately stepped away from her. Gaze sharp and pointed with her arms crossed around her chest, defensiveness palpable from her stance.

 

“You did this just to make fun of me? Are you honestly that low, unnie?!”

 

Joohyun’s laugh was cut short.

 

“Seungwan-“

 

“Why do you always feel the need to do whatever you want? What? Does it make you that happy that despite everything that happened, I still can’t say no to you? Are you happy now, unnie? Are you satisfied?!”

 

Joohyun was rooted to her place, not expecting this outburst from Seungwan. Guess she wasn’t the only one repressing feelings after all.

 

Joohyun mustered up some courage and took a step closer to Seungwan, hands reaching out to the younger girl.

 

“Seungwan-ah, that wasn’t my intention.”

 

With every step that Joohyun took towards her, Seungwan took an equal step back, not trusting herself to be within close proximity of Joohyun.

 

“Then what is your intention, unnie? Do you want my attention? Do you want to push me away? I’m begging you to figure it out because I can’t tell!”                 

 

Seungwan huffed, leaning against the wall to catch her breath from all the yelling she’s done. She angrily wiped the traitorous tears that fell on her face, already embarrassed at the mere fact that she allowed Joohyun to reduce her into a crying mess.

 

“Seungwan-ah” Joohyun used Seungwan’s current position to her advantage and stepped closer until they were face to face. This fight, whatever it was, was going to end today. She’ll make sure of it.

 

“Unnie, don’t. Please.”

 

The anger from earlier was no longer there. Seungwan couldn’t even find the strength to meet Joohyun’s eyes, her head bowed down as she felt Joohyun taking her hands into her smaller ones, fingers entangling automatically even after so long.

 

“Hey.” Joohyun tipped her chin up. And as their gazes met, both of their eyes shining with tears shed, Joohyun tugged Seungwan into her arms, locking the younger woman in an embrace, Joohyun burying her face into Seungwan’s neck as she tightened her grip on her.

 

“Unnie.” And as much as Seungwan wanted to fight, as much as she needed answers, she couldn’t help but immediately return the contact, her arms wrapping tightly around Joohyun’s waist, hands clutching and grabbing at the material of the older woman’s shirt in an attempt to get even closer.

 

For several minutes, all they could do was hold each other, both crying and whispering words of reassurance and apologies of their own. When their breathing returned to normal, and when Joohyun was sure that Seungwan was no longer crying, she began to pull away much to the latter’s dismay, Seungwan immediately looking up at her in worry.

 

Reassuring her, Joohyun tucked Seungwan’s hear behind her ear before leaning in to press a kiss against her temple as Seungwan nuzzled her face in Joohyun’s shoulder.

 

“I’m so sorry, Wan-ah. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

 

“It’s just that…I didn’t know what to do anymore. We’ve never been like this, you and me. We don’t fight. At first I thought it was nothing but all of a sudden, you wouldn’t talk to me anymore. You avoided me every chance you got.”

 

She took a breath.

 

“God, you even stopped looking me at me, Wan. And despite everything the members would say, all I could think of was the thought that you hated me. And I couldn’t function. I just wanted you back. I just…”

 

She was going to do it. She was going to confess.

 

“I just wanted you.”

 

There was a long pause, both trying to process what Joohyun just said. And for a moment, Joohyun was frightened that she might’ve scared Seungwan away. But before Joohyun could drown in her state of panic, Seungwan looked up at her, eyes warm and shining with happiness she hasn’t seen in so long time, a genuine smile gracing her face.

 

Her Seungwan, Joohyun thought.

 

Seungwan leaned in, hands travelling from Joohyun’s waist to the sides of her neck. Their lips one kiss away, breaths mingling as they inched closer and closer to what they’ve always wanted.

 

“I don’t hate you, unnie.”

 

I love you.

 

“I can never hate you either, Seungwan. You have to know that”

 

I love you too.

 

And as they closed the final distance between them, their lips meeting for the first time; tears mingling in between, Joohyun decided she’ll do absolutely everything in her power to never let Seungwan go again.

 

 

BONUS:

 

“I’ve decided.”

 

Joohyun could only anticipate in horror as to what was about to come.

 

“You have to say yes to anything I want for a month. No questions asked.

 

Joohyun scowled and shook her head.

 

“And you have to call me unnie for a month.”

 

“Park Sooyoung, do you seriously wanna get smacked right now?”

 

The younger girl only smirked at her, knowing she had Joohyun trapped. “You said it yourself, unnie. You owe me, remember? And I’m just here to collect.”

 

Before she could knock some sense into Sooyoung, Joohyun’s bad mood immediately went away when she felt arms wrap around her waist and a chin settling on her shoulder.

 

Craning her neck, Joohyun was met with the smile of her favorite person who just came from the shower she took in her room moments ago. Or more appropriately, their room.

 

“What are you two arguing about now?” Seungwan asked, and Joohyun just wanted to leave Sooyoung right then and there so she could kiss her girlfriend’s cute pout away.

 

Sooyoung winked at Seungwan. “What’s it gonna be, Joohyun unnie?”

 

Joohyun sighed. “Two weeks. Take it or leave it, Sooyoung.”

 

And as expected, Sooyoung squealed – just happy enough that she’s gotten the better end of the bargain.

 

Sooyoung ruffled her unnies’ hair and skipped towards the direction of her room, not before shouting looking forward to it, dongsaeng in Joohyun’s direction.

 

Shaking her head at the girl’s antics, Joohyun turned around to face Seungwan, taking the towel on her shoulders to pat dry her slightly damp hair.

 

“What was that about, Hyun?” Feeling sleepy from being tended to, Seungwan wrapped her arms around Joohyun’s waist and leaned her head on her girlfriend’s shoulder.

 

“It’s nothing, Wan. I just lost a bet and Sooyoung wanted to make sure I comply with my end of the deal.”

 

Pulling away, Seungwan looked at Joohyun, a sympathetic look on her face. “Ahh. I’m sorry, Hyun. I know you hate losing, especially when it comes to Sooyoung.”

 

And right at that moment, with Seungwan warm and safe in her arms, Joohyun could only press a kiss to her forehead and tell her the truth.

 

“Don’t worry, Wan. It doesn’t feel like I lost anyway.”