Hey, Otter

Otter

A/N: Happy Seulrene day, really random but this came to based on a photo of two otters holding hands and the description saying they do so in order to not drift away, it was very sweet? So here goes nothing I guess! Enjoy 





 

Baby, honey, sweetie….

 

These are just some of the affectionate pet names that come to mind for most people when referring to their significant others. However, Bae Joohyun’s girlfriend Kang Seulgi wasn’t like most people, and that was actually something Joohyun really appreciated about her.

 

“Hey, otter.” Seulgi smiled and lightly tapped her shorter girlfriend upside the head.

 

“Otter!” Son Seungwan, Kim Yerim, and Park Sooyoung looked at the exchange with wide eyes like they couldn’t believe what they just heard. Is that some new thing, or are they just that oblivious and they never noticed it before.

 

“Did Seulgi just call Joohyun otter?” Yerim is the first to ask.

 

“I know that’s what I heard.” Sooyoung nods several times. 

 

“It’s exactly what she just called her.” Seungwan tells them, because she definitely heard their friend call her girlfriend, who just happens to be their other friend otter. The only question is why?

 

“Hey, baby.” Joohyun smiles back and also affectionately taps her cheeks. 

 

“She’s not offended!” Sooyoung is the first to really react to the fact that Joohyun doesn’t seem all that bothered by being called otter. In fact, she seems certainly happy to see her girlfriend like she normally is, and they stand there looking as lost in their own world as ever.

 

“I’d be completely offended.” Yerim mentions randomly.

 

“Maybe it’s some kind of thing between them?” Seungwan shrugs.

 

“Oh, I’d be totally offended if you called me an otter, babe. Just saying.” Sooyoung lets Yerim know and she turns to her girlfriend with an expression that suggests she doesn’t care what Sooyoung’s opinions are.

 

“Why would I call you an otter when you’re clearly a chicken?”

 

“A chicken, oh that’s it! Come here you little turtle!”

 

And that of course gets them at one another’s throats, Seungwan barely has enough time to stop the younger couple from arguing before she sees a full on make out session, and that’s more than enough for her.

 

“Oh, come on, really!” She sighs and shakes her head in disbelief. Then again, this is Yerim and Sooyoung. What does she expect from them? By the time she finally turns away from the younger girls. Seulgi seems to have left and Joohyun is now heading over to them.

 

“Do I even want to know?” Joohyun wonders with a slight laugh.

 

“No, you really don’t want to know.” Seungwan laughs too. “So, otter?”

 

Joohyun looks suddenly serious then, a frown on her pretty face that wasn’t there a moment ago. Seungwan laughs nervously, and wonders if she’s in trouble.

 

“Oh, Hyun!” Yerim breaks away from Sooyoung long enough to notice that Joohyun has joined them.

 

“When did you get here, Joohyun?” Sooyoung wonders, as she casually wipes off Yerim’s lipstick from her face. 

 

“I just got here, but it looks like I was probably interrupting something important?”

 

“Oh, us making out. We can do that anytime, what’s with you? Are you going to explain the otter thing or what?”
 

Honestly, Joohyun didn’t even know their friends were paying attention when she and Seulgi were greeting one another. But it didn’t surprise her. The three of them seem to always be paying attention when it comes to herself and Seulgi.

 

“It’s just what she calls me.” Joohyun answers. 

 

“Is that why you looked like you were going to murder me just now?” Seungwan asks. “No one can call you that but Seul?”

 

Joohyun shrugs. She didn’t necessarily think of it that way until her friend suggested it. But perhaps? Since it’s kind of a thing only her girlfriend calls her. Sort of a special thing between them, and it is kind of random of someone else to start calling her that nickname too. Even if it is their close friend. Especially when their close friend doesn’t even know the significance behind her nickname. However, it’s almost time for her class to start. She probably should get going.

 

“I better go, it’s almost time for my class.”

 

“B-But...you didn’t even answer my question!”

 

“Or mine either! What’s with the otter thing!” Yerim wants to know.

 

“Yeah, what’s up with that! Come on, Bae Joohyun, explain, class will still be there. Aren’t our questions more important?” Sooyoung can be heard shouting after the slightly older girl, who doesn’t even bother to turn around. Leaving the three of them to groan.

 

Clearly, it’s not that important because Joohyun is already gone. 

 

“Can you believe her? The absolute nerve of some people.” Ever the dramatic one, Sooyoung sighs and wraps her arms around Yerim. “It’s not like we were asking something major like the pin to her ATM or whatever.”

 

“We already asked, remember, babe?” Yerim mouths that part while Seungwan pretends to look shocked at what she’s hearing. Those two are absolutely ridiculous. With that being said, the oldest of the three is honestly curious to know the story behind Joohyun’s nickname. She’s honestly surprised that Seulgi failed to mention it to her. Seeing as how the woman is only her best friend since HS.


“Ah! Why are we wasting time asking Joohyun, let’s go ask Seulgi about it?” Seungwan suggests.

 

“Brilliant, I’m so curious about it. Come on, let's find out.”

 

“Wait, does anyone know where Seulgi is right now?” Sooyoung is the one to ask and there’s a huge pause of silence when they all realize that there’s only one person who would actually know where the other girl is right now.

 

“Joohyun…” They all say together, and Joohyun has conveniently left. There’s no way in hell she’s going to tell them anything anyway. But it’s worth a try. 

 

Joohyun who is actually in class and trying her best to learn something when there’s a flood of messages coming in.

 

SonSeungwannie: Hey, Joohyun. Do you happen to know where Seul is? I forget if she’s in her art class or is it photography today?

 

YerimieNolongerKaty: Hey, Hyun. Where’s your girlfriend? You would know where she is faster than any of us? Answer this soon, please thanks.

 

“Are they kidding right now?” Joohyun can only whisper. What is wrong with their friends?

 

TheGoddessSooyoung: Joohyun! Where’s Seulgi? She’s not with you, right? I mean, probably right? She’s always with you. You probably smuggled her into your class. Why am I even texting this to you in the first place? She's probably with you, ignore this text.

 

Now Joohyun has to hold her laugh. First of all, all the texts continued to get sillier, and Sooyoung’s especially. Then there’s the fact her younger friend seems to think she has her girlfriend smuggled into this classroom with her. While it’s true that she does indeed know Seulgi’s schedule by heart. And nine times out of then they can be seen together. It’s not like she is just going to tell them what they want to know, not so easily. Besides, Joohyun knows they’re all going through this right because they want to know about her nickname.

 

“And this is why god invented the power down button.” She’s so ready to cut this phone off. Well, Joohyun was about to until another text came in. The most important one of all.

 

LOMLSeul: Hey, otter. Are you enjoying class so far? Want to meet for lunch? It’ll be my treat, it doesn’t matter as long as I see you.

 

She even leaves a cute heart emoji and everything. It’s sweet and cute. Now all Joohyun can think about is getting out of here and meeting up with Seulgi.

 

Seulgi’s phone buzzes with text and it's hard to stop drawing. She kind of does anyway because when it’s your girlfriend texting you back. Who cares about the rest, right? The teacher isn’t even paying attention as he’s much too busy going on and on about another student’s impressive work at the moment.

 

BaeHyunOtter: Can we go now! This class is ridiculously boring

 

Seulgi smiles at the fact there’s a sad face emoji too. It’s the kind of tactic that her girlfriend would use, and Seulgi almost wants to run out of her class and to her. But that wouldn’t be good for either of them. They had to have enough willpower to stay strong to wait until they were both free. Seulgi sends one more text telling her they’d see each other soon enough, and how she couldn’t wait. Joohyun sent one last text.

 

BaeHyunOtter: I can’t wait either. Oh and if you see our crazy friends make a run for it, love you baby!

 

“What an odd text?”

 

At least, at the time Seulgi thought it to be an odd text. Seulgi even told herself not to think anything of it. However, she also knew her girlfriend. Joohyun would not warn her for no reason, and soon enough Seulgi finds out exactly why she sent such a text. Seulgi was barely out of her classes and waiting for Joohyun when she could see a familiar sight of Seungwan, Yerim, and Sooyoung heading for her. They all looked determined too.

 

“Kang Seulgi!” 

 

“Whatever it is, don’t blame me?” Seulgi smiles cheerfully, with eyes disappearing into crescent shapes. 

 

“We only want to ask you a question…” The taller of the three takes a breath, acting like she’s been running for miles. Leaving both Seungwan and Yerim to take a moment to wonder if Sooyoung is even alright. They weren’t walking that long from the cafe on campus just to find Seulgi. 


“Um, are you alright, Sooyoung?” 

 

“Y-Yes, just about to pass out. But who cares about that, we just want to know…”

 

“Hey, there you are, Seul.” And of course, Joohyun is right on time to save the day. Or in this case rescue Seulgi from having to answer their friend’s silly questions. She happily links arms with her taller girlfriend. “Well, we better be going. Bye, guys!”

 

“What…” The other three girls blink and stare after the couple. Did Joohyun just really link arms with Seulgi and walk away like they’re not all standing there too? It would appear that’s exactly what happened. Of course, they aren’t just going to take that, oh no.

 

“Excuse us, how are you just going to walk away!”

 

“We’re still here!”

 

“Now, that’s really rude!”

 

The fact that the couple can still hear their friends calling after them with various chants commenting about how rude they are. Is only becoming more bothersome, and Seulgi feels like they don’t have much choice. She stops and turns to Joohyun with a small smile.

 

“We have to invite them to lunch with us.”

 

“We do?” Joohyun blinks, not sure when that became a part of the plan. She hoped to have lunch with just the two of them, and yet she also knows that Seulgi isn’t wrong. Seulgi who is looking at her with that pleading look in her pretty monolid eyes. The kind that says ‘do this favor me, I’ll make it up to you’. The kind of look that makes Joohyun want to do whatever she asks even if she originally didn’t want to.

 

“Yeah, look at them back there being as pathetic as they are, Hyun. We can’t leave them like this.”

 

“We can’t?” 

 

Seulgi chuckles and leans down slightly and kisses her lips. “No, we can’t. Come on, we’re only inviting them to lunch with us. Not anything like staying at our apartment or anything.”

 

“That’s where I draw the line, alright.” The shorter of the two takes a deep breath and turns to face the three of them, who are actually still complaining about how rude both herself and Seulgi are. It’s quite fascinating really.

 

“Guys, calm down. How about you join Seul and I for lunch?”

 

“What, really? Is this a trick?” Yerim and Sooyoung ask together. Not that they don’t want to tag alone for food, who wouldn’t. But it does seem a little strange that suddenly they’re being invited to eat. The younger couple don’t know what to think. Luckily, Seungwan interrupts and grabs a hold of them both.

 

“We’re not going to turn down food, are we kids? Come on, let’s go!”

 

Well, that was one way to settle the mess. Joohyun could care less now because she was once again walking with Seulgi. Their friends were walking together, no doubt talking amongst themselves about how they would find out about her nickname. This was turning out to be quite the day.

 

“So, what was with your text? Does it have something to do with why you wanted me to avoid our friends?” 

 

“I was only looking out for your safety, babe. You should have run when you had the chance.” It’s clear that Joohyun is mostly teasing that’s why Seulgi isn’t overly worried. Still, she must admit she wonders what’s going on. Seungwan, Yerim, and Sooyoung seem to be in some deep conversations over there, whatever they’re talking about.

 

Seulgi doubts it’s something about school, because they’re off the clock now in a manner of speaking. 

 

“You guys aren’t having a deep chat about philosophy over there, are you?”

 

“WHAT?” Three heads snap up and over to their monolid friend so fast. They then proceed to stare at Seulgi like she’s suddenly grown two heads. What on earth are they supposed to say to such a thing?

 

“Um, no?” Seungwan answers.

 

“Only the philosophy of weird girls who have strange pet names for their girlfriend’s.” It’s Yerim who whispers to the other two, who have no choice but to agree with her. The three of them really can’t believe they have never noticed this before. They’ve known Seulgi and Joohyun for long enough that a nickname such as otter would have been obvious. How could such a thing slip through all three of their minds? With that in mind, the three of them knew they would ask about it when they had the chance. However, it was clear they couldn’t just flat out ask it as soon as they get to the restaurant, oh no they had to be subtle.

 

“So we’re all in agreement that we’re going to be subtle, right?” 

 

“Oh, totally.” The younger couple nod when Seungwan asks them. “We can completely act subtly.”

 

Somehow, the older of the three wasn’t all that convinced. Seungwan finds out quickly she had reasons to not be convinced too. Because the very second they all sat down at their table, and were looking at their menus. Sooyoung and Yerim both decided to bombard the other couple with questions.

 

“What’s the deal with the otter name!”

 

“We want answers! We demand answers now!”

 

“Right now, tell us now!”

 

“Why do you call her otter, what’s up with it, and why?”


 

“What in the world!” Seungwan’s eyes go wide and she looks like she’s about to fall out of her chair. Does she need to pull out her dictionary and explain the meaning of subtlety to these kids again, or what? Seulgi and Joohyun look at the two of them for a long moment and then laugh together. Of course, they could expect nothing less of Yerim and Sooyoung. 

 

“Can we at least order food first?” Joohyun honestly is only thinking about that.

 

“Is that why you’re all acting so weird?” Now it all makes sense to Seulgi, why their friends are acting this way, and why Joohyun sent that text to her earlier. Seulgi has to admit this is honestly quite amusing. Why do they all care so much about what she calls Joohyun? It’s not their business what she calls her girlfriend.

 

“Yeah. She doesn’t even look like an otter. More like a bunny.”

 

“You think she looks like a bunny?” Yerim doesn’t think so. “Hyun looks more like a cat to me.”

 

“A cat?” Sooyoung blinks. “She doesn’t look like a cat. What are you talking about?”

 

“Joohyun totally looks like a cat!”

 

“No. She looks like a bunny!”

 

“Cat!”

 

“Bunny!”

 

“Say it with me C-A-T. She looks like a cat.”

 

“Fine she’s a bunny-cat.” Seungwan sighs heavily and that silences the entire table, including the poor stunned waitress who hadn’t even had the chance to ask them what they would like to order yet. Seulgi took the opportunity to apologize to her on behalf of everyone. Before turning back to their friends because clearly this was going to be a topic of debate until she and Joohyun explained. 

 

“Everyone please calm down, how about we order food first like Joohyun suggested. Because I think you all seriously need food in your systems right now.”

 

“You know what…” Sooyoung takes a moment to look at how appetizing the food does look. Perhaps it won’t be a bad idea to take a food break. “Fine, let’s order some food. But don’t think we suddenly forgot about the otter thing, because we haven’t.”

 

“No we haven’t. But I’m ordering the lemonade and strawberry cake right now because I don’t want to wait for dessert.” Yerim speaks. “We can talk about your otter nickname later, I guess.”

 

“Who cares about the name anymore, let’s order food. I’m starving.” Seungwan honestly doesn’t care for the moment. Now when the menu is calling her name and at the end of the day it’s none of their business what the meaning of Joohyun’s nickname is. Though she is surely curious just as Yerim and Sooyoung both are. She’s just not acting as insane as the two younger women are.

 

“Excellent idea, that’s what I said before.” Joohyun reminds them all. Seeing as how she already suggested they come to eat. Besides, it’s her nickname given to her by her girlfriend, and it’s none of their business. Finally, after what feels like centuries, orders are placed and everyone seems to be focusing on other things. Seungwan has gotten Yerim and Sooyoung to talk about their own relationship, which is a huge plus for Seulgi and Joohyun. Because they can do what they want, which is to be in their own world like usual.

 

“Where did this come from?” Joohyun frowns in concern when she notices Seulgi’s fingers, and what looks to be some kind of cut. Seulgi smiles in an embarrassed sort of way that turns into a softer expression as her girlfriend grabs her hand, and starts inspecting it, like she’s about to pull out a first kit from her bag.

 

“Art class. I’m fine, Hyun.”

 

“Did you stab yourself with the X-acto knife again?”

 

Now, Seulgi smiles because Joohyun shows she’s remembering things she’s told her about her art. But of course her girlfriend would because Joohyun always listens to what she says, even if it’s the most mundane and seemingly insignificant topic.

 

“If I did there would be more blood.” Seulgi laughs and that doesn’t necessarily please Joohyun to hear. 

 

“I’m going to assume this was a papercut, because you know I don’t like you being hurt. So if it’s something worse…”

 

“It’s a papercut, don’t worry.” Seulgi speaks gently and goes to kiss her in an effort to help calm Joohyun down. Once again, they are in their own world, not even noticing anything much around them. Until… 

 

“So she was totally going to cheat on me!” Yerim is the one that pulls them both out of their thoughts.

 

“I was not!” They hear Sooyoung scream. “You know that’s a lie.”

 

“What is the problem now?” Seulgi and Joohyun wonder.

 

“Oh, nothing. Just my girlfriend being delusional and making up stories, but you two go back to being in your own world. Don’t mind us.”

 

It’s hard to tell if Sooyoung is kidding or not, and before either of the older girls can ask her. Yerim intervenes with a smile that already prepares them for the answer.

 

“It can all go away if you tell us about the nickname.”

 

“You guys just don’t give up.” The monolid girl laughs and shakes her head. 

 

“This is why we should have had lunch alone.”

 

“Hey, I don’t care anymore, not really. Pass the beef skewers please.” Seungwan nicely asks, since all this food will not be going to waste, and she can act disinterested while stuffing her face. Honestly, Seungwan isn’t even sure if Seulgi or Joohyun is even going to tell them anything anyway. 

 

Joohyun hands over the plate with the beef skewers. Then looks at her girlfriend with a certain look and Seulgi understands right away. All Joohyun has to do is give a small nod and that’s it.

 

“Do you guys really want to know that badly?”

 

“Yes, duh! We’ve only been bothering you all day it seems.”
 

“It’s simple.” Seulgi begins and gently grabs a hold of Joohyun’s cheeks. “Doesn’t she look like a cuddly otter to you?”

 

And that of course sends the whole table spiraling. Seungwan, Yerim, and Sooyoung all immediately disagree that Joohyun does not look like an otter. Once again the debate is on and all the couple can hear are the words, cat, bunny, and somehow bunny-cat? It goes on like this for a few minutes until finally Sooyoung speaks first.

 

“She doesn’t look like an otter, that’s a silly nickname. Why can’t you be normal and call her something sweet?”

 

Seulgi and Joohyun only share a knowing look between them, and Joohyun squeezes her girlfriend’s hand under the table.

 

“Well, you know Seul. She has her own unique way of doing things.”

 

“So you don’t care that she calls you otter, even though you don’t look like an otter?” Yerim asks just for the clarification.

 

“No, I don’t care. Right, baby?” Joohyun looks at Seulgi with what can only be described as a classic girlfriend's affectionate gaze. Leaving their friends to sigh and shake their heads in disbelief. 

 

“Completely ridiculous.”

 

“Well, you heard the lady. She said she doesn’t care and now you guys have your answers.” Seungwan hopes that the younger two are satisfied. Though they don’t look all that satisfied, no one brings it up again. Everyone is able to finish their lunch in relative peace and of course the best part of all the truth behind Joohyun’s nickname belongs to them only.

 

Something, Joohyun couldn’t wait to talk about that night when they were getting ready for bed.

 

“Did you see the look on their faces, Seul?” Joohyun can’t help but to be a bit amused when pulling back the covers.

 

“I know. They really expected some amazing and fantastic story.” She agrees and helps Joohyun pull back the covers so they can both start to get comfortable. Today turned out to be quite a day overall, and Seulgi was ready for bed. Most of all she was ready to go to sleep next to the woman she loved so much.

 

“It’s not like I would have minded telling them. But some things are just ours, you know?”

 

Seulgi did know and she did understand, and that’s why the truth behind Joohyun’s nickname would stay between them. The very moment they were in bed and comfortable. Joohyun who also is a huge cuddler and highly affectionate makes sure she is already snuggled up to her taller girlfriend. Though that’s not all, as she reaches for Seulgi’s hand and holds on tightly. It’s kind of a thing she does. Something Seulgi always notices about her girlfriend is how she will hold on tight, as if making sure Seulgi won’t drift away in the middle of the night.

 

When Seulgi noticed, it reminded her of something. Because otters will hold on while sleeping so they don’t drift apart. It was sweet, adorable, and very much fit with her girlfriend’s personality. 

 

And so Joohyun’s nickname came to be and made perfect sense. If their friends really wanted to dig into it further they probably could find that out themselves. But for now, it would remain a thing between the two of them. Hopefully it would stay as such.

 

“Comfortable, otter?” Seulgi asks with a soft tone as she leaves a kiss on top of Joohyun’s forehead. 

 

“Hmm,” she nods and leans into Seulgi. “Very comfortable, baby.”

 

So perhaps Seulgi didn’t call her with the usual pet names most people called their significant others. Things like baby, sweetie, honey, and that didn’t matter. 

 

She loved her nickname and when it was always spoken with the kind of affection that Seulgi always used when saying it. Joohyun would gladly be called otter any day, because her girlfriend wasn’t like most people, and Joohyun absolutely preferred her that way.



 

A/N: There you have it! Happy Seulrene Day, originally there wasn’t going to be a oneshot for this month, at least it didn’t look as if it would be. But here we go and here’s something, it’s not too terrible? I don’t think so. If it was enjoyed even a little, then I certainly appreciate it of course, happy Seulrene day and thank you for reading!! 

 

Sponsor Mentions: As always, thank you very much to my sponsors. I appreciate all of you so much: AvryGeist171, Tay_84, royalshipper2122, DTHDHR, Bernkaset, Casti1004, jasonds,  ZombieJuhyun, falsuki, wittyadie95, Eris78, User_name1200, Androsssss, theRequiem78, jyrus_21, Seosunny, sleepyhead, InformedPuppy, dga214, pinkpinkypin, shinneay, iamforeverlame, Mmm2392, CheezeeMyoui, bangton, Supergirl03, aya_ah98, taeyang729, RedPaint, Shouto818,  jjlevi93, LOCOppl, AliyaViktoria, j33200, Karasxo, Mehrus, Chan_94, HornedDevil, Geekspeak00, Badgalval, Shaolan, Zesev7, PengusTigerClub, Mia317, Kim_saehyun97, Mustafina,  Scosk3, Jiminiepabo707, Darthhearts,  s1786343, satozaki, noob101, nneberba1, j3200, dmac20, Zesev7, Jewster88, tinann00, shinneay, aseulo, Mmm2392, Taitai84, agonists, km3bty, somebbboy, mondongo1, Bristol, Angelline152, geekspeak00, jjlevi93, ajhoon, Pinkbubl, zwilson4, royalshipper2122, Smpz11, Itheartisti, drunkenseul, noob101, ainijt, jjlevi93, jeticouple, Nao707, sonexpikachu64, Rated_pg, assortedcake, Simpz11, baetokki9, dianafeng, Revelsone, Icantstandtofly, Moonstunt, Fantasii, km62201n, ericakate, dmac20, seulseulseul,  YANGx_, Tempurany, bbongdrr, Xoxosoneegg, okay54321, Ginestroza2000, Username_1200, kindgomcomes, zwilson4, d9afa9ad92c09baf75c9, paulineringo, AlineKwon, issiswain56, howtokillyou, 223daeba3c7557ce6e, Gaybabytrash,  Thank you so much for being sponsors. :)