Crazy Love

In our Sweet Home

Spring 2020, Seoul

"Paging Dr. Lee Eun Hyuk, please proceed to the emergency room."

"Aist, what it is again this time? He told himself. His been in the hospital for roughly 36 hours, totally exhausted and sleep deprived.

"Ouch, it's hurt so much!" The patient cried, a 16-year old ballerina who injured her ankle after doing a complicated dance routine.

"What happened to her?" He asked one of the girl’s coaches.

"It's seems that she twisted her ankle while doing the twirl, when she landed on the floor she can no longer stand up." The coach said.

"Ok, let me check her!" He hold the girl's foot.

"Ouch!" She groaned.

"I know, but you have to endure it." He smile at the girl as he continues putting cast on left her foot.

"Will, I be able to do ballet again?" She asked while she wipe her tears.

"Do you love ballet that much?" He asked and the girl nodded.

"You can still dance, as long as you follow my instructions, you need to rest for 3 months and attend therapy sessions, you have to eat healthy and don't force yourself to stand or walk not until you are completely healed, understand!" He explained 

"What if I can no longer dance again?" She continues to sob.

"Don't you trust me?" He asked.

"I do!" She answered.

***

He was on his way to his car, when he heard someone calling him.

"Doctor Lee Eun Hyuk!"

"Oh, there you are Myunghee-ssi! How's your legs?" She greeted the girl.

"It doesn't hurt that much anymore! Thank you for taking good care of me!" 

"Good, like I told you, you don't have to push yourself, the healing process really takes time."

"You are going home now?" The girl asked again.

"Yes, I will see you on Monday, I'll check your progress." He smoothe the girl's hair.

"Doctor Lee, you look like a college student without your coat!" She said blushing.

"Really!" He is wearing his signature ripped jeans, flannel and converse.

The girl smiled "And you look more handsome without your eyeglasses!"

He laughed at her remarks, she sure does reminds him of someone he misses the most.

"When will I see you again, Lee Eun Yoo?"

***

Summer of 2003, Seoul.

"Eun Hyuk, we are here, can you come down please." The 8 year old Eun Hyuk woke up from his nap as soon as he heard his father's voice.  He ignored and tried to sleep again, but his father called again and he knows that it's now time for him to get up before his father yell once more. He carefully went down from the tree house and headed inside the house. In the living room, he saw his Omma sitting on the sofa smoothing the hair of a young girl he never saw before, while his father is sitting facing his back.

"Eun Hyuk-Ah, you're here, we would like you to meet someone." His Appa said.

"Eun Yoo -Ah, he is our son Eun Hyuk!" His mother introduced the young girl.  She looks a lot younger than him with her small frame. He thought she might be 4 or 5. Her long hair, neatly coiffed in a pigtail. Her round face is adorned with doe eyes, cute little nose and pouty small lips. She is wearing a pink dress and a ballet flats. 

"Eun Hyuk, Eun Yoo just turned 5, she will your  dongsaeng!" His mother said cheerfully. "Eun Yoo, from now on you can call him Oppa, Eun Hyuk, please take good care of your little sister. Look how cute she is!"

"Aniyo, I want a baby brother not a sister!" He said before he run upstairs to his room.

"Yah, Lee Eun Hyuk!" His father called him.

Eun Yoo cried as soon as she heard what Eun Hyuk said. She was upset, thinking that nobody like her. She was born out of wedlock, to parents who are both underage. Her father is on jail for abusing her mother who's now recuperating from physical injuries she sustained. Eventhough her mother loves her, she has no capacity to raise a child that she opted to find a family who will adopt her. Eun Hyuk's Omma who works as a social worker heard the sad story and when she saw Eun Yoo, she easily fell for the girl and decided to get the consent of his Appa to adopt her. Her husband was somewhat reluctant, he thought adoption would be too much, they can help the young girl through other ways and it might cause difficulties for all of them to adjust. But he saw the desperation on his wife's eyes, how she justified that Eun Yoo needs a family in order to grow up normally and happily. They came up to an agreement that they will be her foster family at first and not to legally adopt her. It just a coincident that she used her mother's last name which is also Lee and her first name sounds like their son's name.

Eun Hyuk, didn't join them for dinner.  What they don't understand is his cold treatment towards Eun Yoo, he is a nice kid by nature, though he is normally quiet he can be friendly and accommodating among other kids. He is also mature and intelligent for his age, he knows how to take care of  himself and is independent. Probably because he is often left alone in the house only with their house helpers.

"Yeobo, Eun Hyuk might be hungry now, should I bring food to his room! His Omma asked.

"Let him be, he must be shocked, we never brief him about Eun Yoo on the first place. He should be ok by tomorrow. Eun Yoo, must be tired why don't you bring her to her room so she can sleep already." His father suggested.

Eun Hyuk's mother must be really excited to have a daughter, she decorated Eun Yoo room, like those of a princess. The walls is painted with baby pink hue, children books, stuffed animals and dolls were displayed on the shelves. She also filled her closet with cute dresses and skirts that she thought would fit Eun Yoo's cute and small frame. Her bed is soft, covered by white duvet that matches the window's curtain. Eun Yoo's room is comparatively small than Eun Hyuk's but she ensure that it is comfortable. Eun Yoo sleep peacefully that night.

The following morning, at the breakfast table. Eun Hyuk remained distant to the younger girl, he eat his breakfast quietly and go to the tree house as soon as he finished.

"Eun Hyuk, why don't you come down and play with Eun Yoo!" His mother asked. Eun Yoo is carrying her stuffed bunny. 

"Well, I don't play dolls, Omma!" He answered scratching his head. 

"Aist, this kid! It's ok Eun Yoo, since I have no work today. Omma will play with you!" It made Eun Yoo smile. 

Eun Hyuk, observed how his Omma and Eun Yoo played from his tree house. At his young age he easily recognized the feeling of jealousy he felt toward the other kid, both of his parents are always busy with work and don't spend much time with him. But seeing how happy his parents spending time with Eun Yoo made him loathe her. His young mind believe that he is losing his parents because of her. His parents must love her more than him.

Weeks passed and he's still aloof towards his adoptive sister. His father often chides and reminds him to treat her nicely but he would act rebellious. He manages to act like a cool older brother to Eun Yoo only when his parents are around but act otherwise when they are not around. However, the young girl don't know how to read the signal he is sending her. She follows him everywhere he goes like a shadow and it's annoys him. He can't play video games on weekends because his parents tagged him along to watch her ballet rehearsal or recital. He also hates that no matter how he try to push her away, the young girl will only flashed him, her eye smile. Eventhough he is still young, he can already differentiate what is pretty from what is plain and he knows that smile of her's makes her prettier than any girls of her age, but still he don't like her.

"Eun Hyuk, we are going now, please look after Eun Yoo, while we are away. We will be back before dinner." His mother instructed.

"Why don't you just bring her along?" He retorted irritatedly.

"You know we can't, it's a formal event and kids are not allowed." His mother answered.

"Eun Hyuk, I told you to take care of your sister why it seems you are disobeying us!" His father joined the conversation.

"Ok, ok, you may go now and I will take care of my cute little sister." He told his parents but he gives Eun Yoo a deathly stare.

"Very good son, you know how much we love you Eun Hyuk my baby!" His mother kissed him.

"Omma, stop! I'm no longer a baby!" He tried to deflect his mother.

"Then you should act like a responsible older brother. Yeobo, we are running late, let's go now!" His father divulged.

"Be good and get along with each other!" His mother last word before they go out of the house.

Eun Hyuk decided to spend the afternoon in his treehouse, but Eun Yoo sticks to him like a glue.

"Why do you keep on following me?" Eun Hyuk asked the young girl.

"Oppa I want to play! Omma said we will play together.  Can you show me your treehouse?" Eun Yoo answered, she struggling with her words.

"No, I won't and please leave me alone!" He rejected.

"Please Oppa!" She continues to follow.

"I said no!" Pushing the young girl who fell on her knees at once. Eun Yoo stood up, apparently she was hurt, blood runs down from her scrapped skin but she tried her best not to cry. Eun Hyuk somewhat felt guilty for pushing her but he is  annoyed of her stubbornness. 

"Go to your room, and don't tell Omma and Appa about this!" She warned Eun Yoo who seems scared of him now.

He woke up from his nap when it suddenly drizzles, he climbed down from the treehouse and enter the house. He felt guilty over what happened to Eun Yoo and decided to get some bandage and medicine to clean and treat her wounds. He go to her room but she wasn't there. He search all over the house, but she's nowhere to be found. It was raining hard outside and there's also lightning and thunder. He started to worry but he braved himself to go outside and look for Eun Yoo! He brings umbrella and raincoat with him.

He saw Eun Yoo, few blocks away from their house crying and hiding in a large tree. The surrounding is dark due to heavy downpour and rumbling thunderstorms. 

"Eun Yoo-Ah Eun Yoo-Ah! He called as he approachesthe young girl. He tried to reach for her but Eun Yoo moved away and cover her face with her small hands.

"I'm sorry Eun Yoo, Oppa is sorry for pushing you, let's go home." He persuaded her

"You hate me oppa!" She cried.

"No, I don't hate you. It's just I don't like it when you keeps on following me." He told her. 

He sat besides her and they waited for the rain to stop, Eun Yoo continues to sob.

"Stop crying please!" He told her but thunder rumbles again and it made Eun Yoo cry harder. Do Hyun wrapped his arms around her, she trembles everytime thunder roar and Eun Yoo would hold onto him tightly. 

"I'm scared! Don't leave me!" She cried.

"It's ok, I won't leave you!" He hug the little girl and they stayed in that position until the rain stop. The sun already set and their parents must be home already. He told Eun Yoo that they should leave, but she's in pain and cannot walk that he opted to carry her on his back. When they arrived home their parents welcomed them worriedly.

"Eun Hyuk, What happened to you?" His mother asked. "Yeobo, please carry Eun Yoo to her room. "Eunhyuk are you ok? Hurry take a shower and change!" His mother looked so concern about his state.

"Yeobo, Eun Yoo is burning with fever." His father told them. 

"Sweetie go to shower now, I don't want you to get sick too. I'll check Eun Yoo first and will prepare your dinner after!" His mother said before she rush to Eun Yoo room. 

Eun Hyuk felt sorry about Eun Yoo and he blame himself because he is the reason why she fell sick. He went to his parents room and explained what happened and more importantly to apologize. Both of his Omma and Appa are understanding of him, for them Eun Hyuk no matter how smart and matured he is, is still a child. There are lot of things that he need to learn and experience. His parents told him the reason why they adopted Eun Yoo. According to them she is suffering from trauma because she witnessed violence at home and at some instances her father hurt her too, that's why she is afraid of noise and loud voices.  Her attitude is unpredictable too, she can be extremely shy or aggressive and also has tendency to be obsessive. He can't fully grasp what they are explaining to him but he tried to understand.

"Eun Hyuk, be nice to Eun Yoo, she needs a family. We know you are too young to understand and take responsibility but can you help us taking care of her." His mother told him.

"Son, be kind and understanding not only to your sister but also to other people. We are already proud of you but we will be happier if you will grow up as a good person and please let us know if have problems or if things get difficult for you so we can help!" His father added.

That night he decided that he will take responsibility, he will take care of Eun Yoo and will treat her like his true sibling. He will do it so his parents will be more proud of him.

He go to Eunyoo's room and bring her breakfast, she is still down with fever and he volunteered to look after her.

She stirred on her sleep and woke up. Though her body is still week she tried to sit on the bed. Eun Hyuk also sits on the edge of her bed.

"Good Morning, Eun Yoo-Ah, are you feeling better now, are you hungry? I brought your breakfast, do want me to feed you?" He offered to help the young girl but she shook her head, apparently not happy seeing him.

"Eun Yoo, I know you are mad but Oppa is really sorry!" He said, while she hide her face on the duvet.

"I'm really sorry, I know you can't forgive me now but at least eat breakfast, Omma prepared this for you." He continues but the girl didn't falter.

"Eun Yoo, please eat or drink your milk. I promise that once your fever goes down and you are completely well. I'll show you my treehouse and I'll play with you!"

With that Eunyoo, uncovered  herself and looked at Eun Hyuk.

"Is that true, you are not angry and you don't hate me anymore?" She innocently asked.

He smiled at her and gently smoothe her hair. "I'm not angry at you and from now on I will be your Oppa, I will protect and will take care you!"

Upon hearing that Eun Yoo immediately hug him

"I'm happy Eun Hyuk Oppa!" She said cheerily.

"But you have to listen to me and quit being stubborn, ok!" He hug her back.

She nodded before she says "I like you so much Oppa!" she kissed him on his cheeks and that made the young boy flushed and embarrassed.

From that day on, they have a better relationship. They become closer, Eun Hyuk open ups and become more accepting to her. He kept his promises, he showed her his treehouse and at present she has her own space there. He acts like a true older brother, he played with her. He taught her how to write and read, with that she was able to communicate with her biological mother, her handwritten letter appeased her real mom who is grateful to her new family for keeping her updated about Eun Yoo's well-being. He studied with her and take cares of her. Ironically, he now enjoys watching her ballet recital, he would choose spending time with her than playing video games alone. The two become inseparable and his world is now filled with more laughters.

***

Summer of 2011

"They are really annoying Omma, imagine they already know that I and Eun Hyuk Oppa are not biological siblings but why do they keep comparing my nose to Oppa's." Eun Yoo ranted to their parents while they are relaxing in the family room. 

"Eun Yoo-Ah, your nose is totally fine. Just ignore them, you are pretty, keep that in mind." Her father told her, who is reading a newspaper.

"Still, I wish I have more pointy and tall nose like yours and Oppa! At least if I have them, people will think that I'm your real daughter. She pouted and continues to complain.

"Stop that Eun Yoo, how many times we have to tell you that you are our real daughter." Her mother chides.

"I'm sorry, I know but I look totally different than you Appa and Oppa. People compliment Eun Hyuk Oppa always, about how handsome he is and he's like genius, but me I'm just plain, and my grades are not even good eventhough I'm studying hard, all because I'm not your real daughter." She told them.  

Eun Yoo, knows that her adoptive family genuinely love her and she is grateful that they treat her like their own family and continuously giving her the best life she could imagine. But she sometimes feels guilty and insecure that she can't make them proud. She even questions herself if she really deserves them. 

"Yah, come here. Does it really matter to you. Is our love not enough to make you feel better?" Her mother hug and console her.

"Aniyo, I love you Omma, Appa and Oppa! Nothing else matter in my life but you!" She said. 

"Eun Yoo, since you are too obsessed with beautiful noses.  I know a method that will surely make your nose looks beautiful ." Eun Hyuk in all of a sudden.

"And what it is, you know I have no plans to do surgery" She said suspiciously.

"Come here, I'll tell you!" Eun Hyuk said winking at his sister.

Eun Yoo come closer and she was surprised when Eun Hyuk started pinching her nose without any warning.

"Ahhh...oppa, it's hurt! Omma! Appa!" She protested.

"Eun hyuk stop that you are hurting her!" Their mother said which he ignored. He continues pinching her nose while he laugh hysterically.

"Eun Yoo! Look at your beautiful nose." 

"Ahh...I can't breathe, I hate you!" She screams

"No you don't!" He said before he run outside the family room. Eun Yoo followed him trying to get even.

"Aist, these kids!" Their father laugh at them as they continue bickering.

"Yah Oppa, come back!"

"You gotta catch me first!" 

Later that night.

"Oppa, can I come in?" Eun Yoo knock on his door already wearing her pajamas.

"Ok, can't sleep?" Eun Hyuk asked he is  lying on his bed and reading." Do you need anything Eun Yoo or are you still mad and still trying to get even?" He asked suspiciously.

She shooked his head to disagree.

"Do you want to sleep here?" He asked this time.

"Can I still, Omma already told us not to sleep together? "She reluctantly asked.

"Ok!" His simple reply. He remember the time when his mother talked to him, it was on the day when Eun Yoo had her first menstrual cycle. He recalls how grumpy she was that day and she consistently complained about abdominal pain. He found her sleeping in the treehouse when he decided to annoy her.

"Eun Yoo-ah, wake up!" He shook her body vigorously.

"Why?" She obliviously asked.

"Nothing, I just want to! Look at you, you're drooling!" He laughed at her sleepy face.

Eun Yoo, wiped her face, she's sweaty but there's no trace of saliva. "Yah, I hate you Oppa." She cried and walked out.  

"Eun Yoo-Ah!" He called her.

"What?" She muttered 

"There's a blood in your pants!" He told her hesitantly.

He remember how hard she cried that day because of pain and mostly of all because of confusion and fear.

"Eun Hyuk, I know how close Eun Yoo is to you, but you are no longer kids, you two shouldn't sleep together from now on. I'm sure you understand the reason why." His mother requested.

"Yes Omma!" His simple reply.

Eun Yoo casually bit her lips before she speaks "Let's just tell her that I can't sleep and I had nightmares that's why I came here! I will sleep here tonight, I don't care if Omma will scold me!" She said, she hurriedly lie beside him on the bed and excitedly wrap her arms around him.

"I miss you Oppa!" She told him but the he remained silent, he removed his eyeglasses and place it on the side table, before he pull her closer to him like a protective brother he is.

She raised her head a little, enough to look at his face. 

"Oppa, the mole in your neck is more visible now and that lump on your throat, does it's hurt?" She curiously asked.

"No it's not, it's normal for a guy to have Adam's apple!" He told her.

"Of course, I know that, I'm not that stupid!" She said sarcastically.

"Yah, Eun Yoo, are you trying to pick a fight?" He asked a bit pissed off.

"Hahaha! I'm sleepy now!" She said as she close her eyes.

"Eun Yoo-ah, do you wear perfume, your hair smells nice? He asked as he snip her hair.

"No, Omma told me I should not wear perfume yet, not until I reached 16? I'm not sure!" There's a hint of sleepiness on her voice.

"Is that so?" He said as he continue inhale her sweet fragrance.

"I love you Oppa!" She said before dozing off but he didn't reply. How can she easily say those words, while he don't know what to say when he hear that? How come he is still not get use to it, why he always appears taken aback?

Her breathing is now steady and he knows she is already asleep. On the other hand, he is still wide awake and he feels like his heart beats faster than the normal just looking at her face. He thought, how can she be insecure at how she looks, because for him she looks pretty, she is the prettiest among any other girl he met. Even her guy friends tell him that, which he actually find annoying. He don't know but he don't like the idea of other boys complimenting and ogling  at her, she is just 13, she is still a little girl. Their parents told him that Eun Yoo has tendency of becoming obsessive and he wonder if they also start to notice that their son is close to becoming possessive and over protective over his adoptive sister.

***

"Go change, you will not go out wearing that!" He commanded.

"Why not, my friends agreed that we will wear the same kind!" She retorted.

"That's too short!" He said.

"That why it's called mini skirt, it is supposed to be short." She justified.

"No, or else no one will go out, both of us will stay here." He stated firmly. 

"Ok! You're such an old-fashioned ajhussi!" She said before storming back to her room. He laughed at her remarks, she often say that his fashion choice doesn't make sense and he don't understand why. He believes that he looks cool on his ripped jeans, flannel and converse and of course his ever trusted eyeglasses.

***

Knowing that her brother is in the bathroom, she sneaked to his room to hide his eyeglasses. 

"Lee Eun Yoo!" He called. "Give it to me!" He demanded.

"What?" She asked, faking her innocence.

"Yah, stop fooling around. You know what I'm capable of doing. Give me back my eyeglasses." He warned.

"I don't know what you are talking about, I'm in my room the whole time." She continues to deny.

"You will not give it to me!" He step closer to her. "Lee Eun Yoo, you are really testing  my patience, huh!" He warned again.

"Hmmm..."

And there he started to attack her with tickles.

"Yah, oppa, don't !" She try to stop him. 

"I won't not until I have my eyeglasses back." He said, but she remained unbothered. Instead, she tickles him back. They continue their tickle fight and laugh until they both collapsed on the bed completely out of breath. 

"You still won't give up don't you?" Eun Hyuk challenging the younger and tickle her again. 
Knowing that her brother is stronger she finally concede.

"Arasso, I hid it in there in your shoe closet!" She revealed. 

He get up on the bed and she followed immediately.

"Oppa, you look better without them!" She told him.

"I know, I'm handsome with or without my eyeglasses on. You don't need to tell me that." He retorted.

"You are too full of yourself!" She scoffed but the boy only smirk.

Their relationship is like that, like cat and dog, they constantly bicker and prank each other, but at the end of the day they always support each other. Together they celebrate each other's victories and achievements, they understand each other's shortcomings and flaws. 

***

Spring 2014, Seoul


"Congratulations Eun Hyuk, we are really proud of you." Their father announced. He won a competition and will represent Seoul for National Science Olympiad. 

"Congratulations, Son! Where do you like to celebrate?" His mother asked.

"Omma, can we just stay here. I like your cooking's the best." He said shyly. "By the way, where is Eun Yoo-Ah. He asked, he noticed that his sister is not there to greet him, she already knows the news that he won. He wonder if she received his message.

"She's in her room. She said she doesn't feel good." His mother answered. Eun Yoo sustained injury on her left ankle, while rehearsing ballet, she was about to audition for a role but she accidentally twisted her ankle and fell on her foot. Her doctor told her to rest for 3 months to fully recover, she felt frustrated because aside from that she can't walk properly without any support she also gave up being casted as main ballerina in the play she has been dreaming of. 

He went to her room, but she wasn't there. Then he went outside and found her on the garden, sitting on the grass. He suspect that she fell down and is now trying to stand up. 

"EunYoo-Ah, what happened?" He yelled and ran to assist her. "What are you doing, you know that your ankle is not fully recovered why are you pushing yourself to walk." He asked his eyes is full of concern.

"Yah, I'm not cripple. I can stand on my own." She said, pushing him and rejecting his help.

"You are really stubborn you know!" He said

"I said I can, why are you treating like I'm not capable of doing anything." This time her tears rolling down on her cheeks, obviously she is hurt not only physically but also her ego.

"Eun Yoo-Ah, you are only hurting yourself. You don't have to be like this." He calmly said, knowing she will only get frustrated if he scold her.

"I'am such a failure, why I can't be like you Oppa. Why can't I make you, Omma and Appa proud. Ever since I was little I only cause trouble. You know how much I wanted that role, I'm only one step away on achieving that but why this thing happened. Don't I deserve that, Am'I not good enough?" She cried her heart out and it broke his heart seeing how devastated she is.

"Everything will be alright, it's not like the end of the world. You just need to be healed first and be healthy. There's always a chance for you, because you are good at it and you love dancing, right? Sometimes, you just need to take things easy, you also need to rest, look at you, you are light as a feather. Aren't you tired blaming yourself for the things you can't control. We are worried about. I'm worried about you! You don't need to prove anything to us because we are your family!" He hug her.

"What if that is my only chance?" She asked as she continues to sob.

"Don't say that, you are extremely talented, aside from ballet, you are also good in writing and designing and styling." He tried to console her and wipe her tears.

"But I love ballet the most." She said.

"I know! Yah, come here!" He said before he knelt down and told her to hop on his back.

"Where are we going?" She asked curiously. And the next thing she knew is that he carried her to the treehouse. He was careful on his steps and ensure she is safe. 

"Why did you bring me here?" She asked again. He put her down carefully. He didn't speak, he look over the horizon instead, the sun is starting to set. She also look at the sky and watch how variety of hues made their appearance. The blue, indigo, orange, lilac and pink, they are from different color family but they blend perfectly and against the sunlight they form a majestic view of the sky. She actually miss this, how many times they spent afternoons in the treehouse watching sunsets. How they pulled an all nighters several times to witness meteor shower and how hard she wished and prayed on falling stars. She didn't realized that the treehouse is their safe haven and she's glad Eun Hyuk shared it with her. She now understands why he brought her there. The sunset exhibit different colors but the sky embrace them and together they shine. Her origin maybe different from her present family but she fits well with them like a puzzle piece because they wholeheartedly accept and love her. She felt the soft breeze against her skin.

"It's beautiful!" She whispered as she continues gazing in the sky.

"Yes, indeed it is beautiful!" He agreed but he is not staring at sky but rather to the young lass beside him. It his favorite time of the day, Golden Hour beside his favorite person, Lee Eun Yoo.

***

Eun Hyuk, prepares for the competition, he received all the support he needed, from his school, his friends and mostly from his family. While Eun Yoo, keeps her focus on healing, she do light yoga exercises to condition herself. She also spend time improving her other skills. She writes on her journal more often and start making and selling online dresses and skirts that she designed. She even learned baking.

"Congratulations, Oppa!" Eun Yoo jumped and wrapped her legs around Eun Hyuk's waist.  He won first place on National Science Olympiad.

"Eun Yoo-Ah be careful, is your ankle ok now?" He asked full of concern while adjust his eyeglasses.

"I'm happy for you Oppa! Come here I have a surprise for you!" She get down and lead him to the dinner table.

"Tada!" She said, showing him the cake she baked and decorated.

"Yay you did this for me?" He asked in amusement.

"Of course, I did it, you never know how many trials I did, just to make it perfect." She said proudly.

"And you are proud wasting so many ingredients. Aist, common let me taste it and I'll give you my verdict." He retorted.

"No, we have to wait for Omma and Appa, they'll be here anytime soon." She said.

They eat dinner happily, it's been a long time since they have dinner together. Although it wasn't home cooked meal, their parents just take our some of their favorite foods.

"We are so proud of Eun Hyuk!" Their mother said happily.

"Thank you Omma!" He said "Let's now have a taste of Eun Yoo's cake." He said excitedly.

"Wow, this taste good Eun Yoo!" Their Omma said as soon as she continue munching the cake.

"So, you are proud of me too!" She asked.

"Of course, we are proud of you, always remember that." Their father short but sincere reply.

Later that evening, Eun Yoo went to his room, to catch up and watch their favorite series, but ended falling asleep in each other's arms.

***

"Omma, I mean mom, called me yesterday and asked me if I want to visit her in L.A. on my school break and you can come with me too, but then it is if you will allow me!" She smiled looking at their parents.

"Sure, why not, it will be a great experience if you can travel, however we cannot join you sweetie, you know work." Her mother answered. "But Eun Hyuk perhaps can come with you.

"Omma, I have advance classes. I can't go neither." Looking sorry at his sister. Eun Hyuk has been accepted in SNU college of medicine. He is on the verge of fulfilling his dreams of becoming a doctor.

"Eun Yoo, if you could delay your plans until next year, we will fly with you to L.A. I promise I will file vacation leave  as soon as we confirm our schedule." Their father suggested before taking a sip on his coffee.

"It's ok Appa, Mom told me that we can go there anytime as long as our schedules permit and besides I'm scared traveling alone and I think I still need to practice my English." She said cheerfully.

"Why don't you read the English books I gave you? It's been a year already and they're just sitting there on your selves collecting dust." Do Hyun exclaimed as he continues eating his breakfast.

"Yah, you know I'm busy!" She sneered.

"Busy? Just admit that you're lazy!" He answered back.

"Omma, Appa!" She cried obviously asking help from them.

"Just stop bickering, you two!" It their Omma who reprimanded themselves. And they continue eating their breakfast in silence.

***
"Eun Hyuk, please call Eun Yoo, it's time for dinner." His mother told him

"Why do I have to call her? She sure know that it's already time for dinner. If she don't want to eat, then let her be." He answered irritatedly.

"Are you still not on speaking terms?" Why don't you try being more understanding of your sister?" His mother stated. 

It's been two weeks since they last spoke to each other, it was after they attended his bestfriend Sang Yi's birthday party. Eun Yoo got herself involved in an underage drinking and eventhough it's a private party as an older brother he can't tolerate that, seeing how wasted she was. He actually don't mind nursing drunk Eun Yoo but what made his blood boil was that one of Sang Yi's guest tried taking advantage of her drunken state. Earlier at the party he already noticed that this group of guys ogling at her and when she got drunk, a guy who she was dancing with tried to kiss her. He gone mad with what he saw that he pulled Eun Yoo away and punched the guy on his face. It seems that he lost his mind that he continued beating the guy until he fell on floor and blood is flowing on his mouth. He only came back to his senses when he felt Eun Yoo arms around him. 

"Please Oppa! Stop now, you'll get hurt too!" She cried pulling him away from the guy. He still furious not only at the guy but also to Eun Yoo. He reminded her several times not to drink because he knows she can't tolerate alcohol, he even told her not to wear flashy and revealing outfits but she took his advice for granted.

The guy sustained several cuts and bruises on his face due to Eun Hyuk's punches. But they are still thankful that the guy did not file complaint. After that night, Eun Hyuk opted to stay in his dorm, despite how his parents convince him to come home. He told them that they shouldn't worry and he needs time to reflect on what he did.  It's not that he don't want to see Eun Yoo, he is still mad at her and of course worried. He don't know how he will forgive himself if something bad to happen to her that night. He don't even want to think about that.

"Hey, Eun Yoo called earlier, are you still not going to talk to her?" Sang Yi asked. 

He ignored her call, although he feels guilty knowing that she didn't mean what happened, he thought she should learn from it. She should understand  that he can't be with her 24/7 to protect her and she should start to act matured at her age.

"Aist I can't believe that you resist her like this.  You are always soft when it comes to her, like she is the most important person in your life. If I didn't know you since our diaper days I would think that you like her not as a brother but as a lover." Sang Yi continues blabber.

"What are you talking about are you crazy? You know that she is my sister." He yell.

"Defensive much, but if you only see yourself that night, you act like an overprotective and jealous boyfriend than an older brother. Hmmm but come to think of it you and Eun Yoo are not real siblings anyways!" Sang Yi tease. 

"Can you please stop, you're giving headache! And I'm telling you I'm not in love with her! I'm just teaching her a lesson!"He retorted.

"Bro, easy, it's just an observation! I know you are just responsible older brother." Sang Yi laughed at his reaction.

He toss and turn on his bed that night, his conversation with Sang Yi, made him think. Does the love he has for her is just brotherly love or does he starting to see her in a different light. Is Sang Yi's assumption's right? Is that the explanation why he can spend the night just  watching her sleep, that his heart beat faster everytime they hug? For sure her welfare is his outmost priority, she is his sister, but is that enough reason for him to hurt someone, because he know himself that he is willing to kill or to die just for her. He wants to see her smile, he wants her to be happy and always he wants her to be by his side. 

***

Autumn of 2015, Seoul

"Han Sora, I would like you to meet my friend Lee Eun Hyuk! Sang Yi introduced them.

Han Sora, a 1st year law student. She is pretty and smart. After their meeting, he already knew that the girl is into him. She constantly message and invite him for series of friendly dates, how many times that he was tempted to decline her but he thought she could help him in diverting his attention and stop thinking of his so-called sister. Also, in this way he can prove that Sang Yi's speculations are wrong.  He and Sora get along after several meeting but deep in his heart her presence is not enough to fill the void in his heart. No matter how he deny to himself he still longs for Eun Yoo. But he thought it's better off this way. The more he gets closer to Sora, the more he distant himself from Eun Yoo. He seldom go home and he noticed that Eun Yoo tried giving him space. Unlike before their home is filled with their laughters, now their silence is deafening. She no longer go to his room to sleepover. She act her usual self when their parents are around, she smile sweetly to him but she don't hug nor cling to him anymore. He missed her, there are times that he want to knock on her room and spend the night there. But he hold back, he's afraid that once he's alone with her, he'll let his guard down. Because he realized one thing thru this distance. Sang Yi is right, he is in love with his sister. He loves Lee Eun Yoo and he is aware that it's not right because both of them will only get hurt in the end.

***
"Omma, I'm here!" Eun Yoo said as she enter the living room. She is excited to tell them a good new, but she was surprised to see with Eun Hyuk and the girl she haven't met before. She is sitting close to her brother, she is pretty, tall and seems nice. 

"Eun Yoo, finally you are here! Sora-ssi she is our daughter. Eun Yoo, she's Eun Hyuk girlfriend." Her mother happily exclaimed. 

Apparently she was shocked, he looked at Eun Hyuk but his brother lower down his gaze in order to not meet hers.

She managed to smile and greet the girl. "Sora Unnie nice to meet you! She said extending her hand to their guest.

"I finally met you! I heard a lot about you from Sang Yi!" She said smiling.

"Sang Yi Oppa?" She asked.

"Yes, he talked about you and Eun Hyuk. You know I don't expect that much on your brother. He is so reserved that I have to do my own research to know more about him but the good thing there is Sang Yi!" She replied as she intertwined her hands with Eun Hyuk. 

"Sora-Ah!" Eun Hyuk exclaimed.

"What babe? I'm just telling the truth!" She said.

"Yah, I never imagine Eun Hyuk being shy! Sora-ssi, you are the first girl he brings home." Their mother explained.

"Eun Yoo, why don't you go to your room and change, so we can already have dinner!" Their father interrupted.

She walked silenty to her room. She felt her eyes stinging, as soon as Sora was introduced to her as Eun Hyuk's girlfriend. She only allowed the tears to escape her eyes in shower but she did her best not cry too hard. They are expecting her to join dinner and they are waiting for her. She must show them that she genuinely happy. She should act that she is not affected that her brother choose not to tell her what's going on with his life. 

The dinner table was set according to their mother's likings. She can't believe how she managed to prepare all Eun Hyuk's favorite dishes, she thought maybe their parents know in advance that he will introduce his girlfriend today. Suddenly she felt out place, in the near future Eun Hyuk will have a family of his own, while she will remain as the adopted daughter of this family.

"By the way, Eun Yoo, what happened to your audition?" Her father asked, she totally forgot the reason why she hurriedly go home, is because she want to share  the a good news to them that she will take a part on dance play. The King and I.

"I got in!" She said timidly, wiping with the tissue.

"Really, so what will be your role then?" Her mother asked excitedly.

"Anna!" Her simple reply. 

"Wow, that's the main character, and you'll be the main ballerina. How come you didn't tell us soon? Anyways, we are proud of you Eun Yoo-Ah!" Her mother said and she just smile before she go back eating her food.

"Congratulations, Eun Yoo-ssi I heard that too, that you are a ballerina!" It's Sora who speaks.

"From Sang Yi Oppa!" She said, trying not to sound irritated. She felt that this girl know everything about her life. She is a chatterbox for sure but is she really that nosy, is she a private investigator she thought.

"Yes, I also learned that you have on line shop. Honestly, I'm impressed with your designs, you are really talented." Sora smiled at her.

"Thank you!" Her short reply.

"You are lucky to have supportive parents, I would like to commend Mr. Lee and Mrs. Hwang for raising and giving you the same amount of love as Eun Hyuk despite the fact that you are adopted." Sora said tactlessly which surprised everyone.

"Sora-Ah!" Eun Hyuk lightly raised his voice.

"Sora-ssi, Eun Yoo is our real daughter and I should say we are the lucky one, because she is part of our family! And whatever she does we will continue supporting her and it should not be your concern!" His father retorted, completely turned off with Sora's behavior. 

"Appa!" "Yeobo!" Eun Hyuk and their Omma exclaimed simultaneously.

"I'm sorry!" Sora, bow her head, clearly embarrassed with what she said.

"It's ok, I actually think the same, indeed I'm really lucky! Omma I'm glad you made this beef ravioli, I miss this and I guess Oppa should bring more guests here so I can eat this more often." She said smiling, gazing at her brother and Sora trying to show them that she is ok. She continue eating despite that she no longer have appetite.

***

"Thank you for having me here!" Sora bow and bid her goodbye to the family.

"Kaja, let's go!" Eun Hyuk said as she lead Sora to the car.

"Drive safely Eun Hyuk!" His mother reminded him. He looked around to see Eun Yoo but she's not there to say goodbye. He knows for sure that she's in her room, maybe crying. She's good at hiding her emotions specially to their parents, she always choose to show them that she is happy eventhough she is suffering. The word adopted is taboo in their home and what Sora did eventhough unintentionally could possibly change the way his family sees her.

"Babe, I'm sorry about what I said at the dinner!" Sora said.

"It's ok, just forget it! He said as he continues to drive.

"I'm really sorry and I mean it!" She blurted again. His focus seems to be on the road but his mind wandering, creating a scenario when he is happy at home with his family, with his Eun Yoo.

***

Eun Yoo busied herself, preparing and rehearsing for the play. She was glad that her former injury didn't affect her performance during the audition and now that she will be playing as the main ballerina. The play will run for two weeks, M-W-F. Her parents show their outmost support to her and she wasn't expecting that his now estranged brother to do the same. She haven't heard from him since that night, he didn't even congratulate her. Her mother told her that he sometimes go home but their schedules didn't match that why they don't see each other. He is also busy with school and preparing for his upcoming internship in the hospital.

Her parents watch her every performances but Eun Hyuk didn't show up not even once. She hate it but she now starting to develop the feeling of remorse to her brother. She ignore her feelings though, she believes that she will still shine on her own, with or without his support.

The whole cast were celebrating the success of the show. Eun Yoo is now being named as the future of Korean Ballet. She is only 18 years old and there are lot of good opportunities under her belt. They are having fun when she received a call from her father, they couldn't fetch her but they told him that Eun Hyuk is coming home and asked him to fetch her on his way home. She told them that it's ok and she could take a cab instead but they insisted that she should wait for him. The dinner celebration ended, her conditioning coach offered to take her home but she told him, that she is waiting for her brother. She thought that Eun Hyuk agreed to fetch her, so they can catch up, maybe he miss her too and she is willing to forgive him for being distant to her for the past few months. For her, he is still the most important person in her life. An hour passed but Eun Hyuk didn't show up, she refrained from calling him for he might be driving. She is somewhat nervous, thinking that something bad happened to him. She tried calling her parents but they are also not picking up. Half-heartedly, she then decided just to take cab. She's on the corner of the street waiting for the cab, when she heard a loud screeching sound and some people shouting. She look around and surprised to see a car fast approaching her way. It was too late for her to run away, the light from the vehicle is also blinding and the things happened really fast. She felt like flying but not it a good way, she felt pain when she landed the ground, there is no cushion to protect her. Later on there was blood come rushing from her head and she can't move her lower body. She's in pain and is helpless, she lost her consciousness.

***
Eun Hyuk hurriedly answer the phone which is ringing for sometimes. He's in Sora's place, he is supposed to fetch Eun Yoo and bring her home but her girlfriend called him. She is down with flu  for few days and obviously needs help. 

"Where are you?" His mother said who seems in distraught.

"I'm here at Sora's apartment, she is sick. I send message to Eun Yoo to go home by her own, because I have an emergency." He replied nonchalantly.

"Come here now, Eun Yoo!" His mother cried.

"What happened to Eun Yoo Omma?" He asked worriedly.

"She had an accident, we are here in the hospital, what are we going to do, she is still unconscious." His mother said on the other line.

Upon hearing that he immediately went out, ignoring his girlfriend questions. The things doesn't sink in, he wish it's just a bad dream.

He arrived in the hospital and saw his mother who approached him at once, fear is evident on her face.

"Where is she?" He asked.

"She is in the operating room, the doctor said that her legs are severely injured, they saw fractured bone and torn ligaments. The only good thing is that she didn't have any head injury and the reason why she's unconscious is because of the trauma. I can't believe that this happened to our Eun Yoo." His mother cried.

His father arrived from the police station, according to the report, the driver was drunk but they are not sure if they can file a case because he is still underage and have no license to drive. They all feel frustrated, his father gave him a cold shoulder and he can't blame him, he entrusted Eun Yoo to him, but he take her for granted. The operation lasted for 5 hours. He sigh in relief when the surgeon told them that Eun Yoo is now out of danger, however he also informed them that it will take months for her to recover and for the worst case she might not be able do ballet again. Guilt is consuming Eun Hyuk, he is sorry about Eun Yoo and feels he is responsible for it.  He cannot concentrate on his studies that he decided to file leave of absence in the university, which his parents supported. He stayed in hospital almost 24/7 to look after her and monitor her condition. They are worried because she is still unconscious despite the fact that the surgeon and some doctors told them that her vitals are ok.

"Her MRI shows that there's no damage on her brain and spinal cord." The doctor said.

"And how you'll explain her case, she's been lying in the ICU bed and been unconscious for several days and yet we don't see any improvement." He cried out of desperation. 

"I understand, but there are things that cannot be explained by science. Still it relies on the patient's will to recover. What I want to say, is don't estimate the power of prayers, miracle happens at the time you needed it the most!" The doctor said before leaving him.

Prayers, he's been praying so hard. If only he could turn back the time, he will ensure that she is safe all the time. 

***

"Sora, came to me crying, did you guys really broke up?" Sang Yi asked. Eun Hyuk went to his dorm to get some clothes, he camp in the hospital since the day of the accident.

"It's for the best, I obviously have no time for her. Eun Yoo needs me and I have to take care of her." He said as he arrange his things on his bag.

"Aist, it's Eun Yoo. I feel sorry about her. But is breaking up really necessary." Sang Yi continues to interrogate him.

"Yes, I can't continue being unfair to her. She deserves someone who will take care and love her the way she wanted and I can give her that!" He said.

"Is it because of Eun Yoo? What don't you be honest with yourself once and for all, why don't you just admit that you are in love with her?" Sang Yi challenge him.

"You are right I'm in love with her! But will it change the fact that I wasn't able to to protect her? I failed being older brother to her, do you think that if I tell her how I feel she wouldn't freak out? And about our parents they will only blame themselves for raising a son like me. God knows how I tried to stop myself from liking her but what can I do, I'm weak.  Even if I stay away from her, I can't stop thinking of her." He said frustratedly.

Sang Yi, come near him and gave him a light pat on his shoulder.

"It's ok bro! I don't know how can I help you, but I'm here if need someone who will listen. I pray for Eun Yoo's fast recovery. Don't blame yourself for what happened, it isn't your fault."

In the hospital he saw her mother talking to a familiar lady in her mid-30s and he was right, she is Eun Yoo, real Omma, Lee So Eun.

"Thank you for taking care of Eun Yoo!" Ms. Lee told him while handling him a coffee.

"I'm sorry!" He told him.

"Your Omma told me, that you are blaming yourself for what happened to Eun Yoo. Please refrain from doing that, Eun Yoo wouldn't be happy if she sees you like that. I now understand why she likes you so much. She is right you are more handsome in person maybe that's why she can stop talking about you.  Actually she talks more about you more than herself.  Eun Hyuk Oppa is like this and that, that she is so proud of you and she is happy everytime you are together." She laughed as she those things to Eun Hyuk. 

"But I wasn't able to protect her that night, I ignored her and I hurt her with my actions. I didn't fulfill my role as her older brother." He said.

"You like my daughter, don't you?" She asked.

"Of course, we grew up together, she is part of our family." He justified but he can't prevent himself from blushing.

"Hmmm...why do I feel sad for my daughter, Yah, please don't tell me that my Eun Yoo's love is one-sided. She still haven't realized that but I can tell with the way her eyes sparkles when she talks about you. Honestly, I don't know if I will support her on that, because you two are siblings. But I don't want to be blinded by any wrong judgement. I just want my daughter to be happy and I will support her as long as her decision will not ruin her!" She said. 

"Ms. Lee and Eun Hyuk-ssi, please proceed to Ms. Lee Eun Yoo's room." The nurse interrupted their conversation.

"What happened to my daughter?" She asked.

"Eun Yoo-Ah, baby!" 

"Mom!" Eun Yoo regain her consciousness. 

"My baby, I'm here!" Her mom said, who is already in tears.

"Mom, is it really you, when did you arrive from LA?" She asked struggling to speak but still manage to give her a weak smile.

"Don't force yourself to speak. You are still weak and need to rest! Her Mom said.

"She is right Eun Yoo-Ah!" Eun Hyuk, smile at her.

"Go away, I don't want to see you Lee Eun Hyuk!" Eun Yoo said which surprised him.

***
He can't believe with what he heard, he want to talked to her but she went hysterical when he tried to come closer. Ms. Lee pleaded him to leave them for a while. He can't explain the pain in his chest seeing the hatred in her eyes.  Their parents were also shocked at Eun Yoo's behavior, she welcomed them but not Eun Hyuk. They can't do anything about it but convince Eun Hyuk to be more patient with her. And he did, he didn't try to approach her after several times that she pushed him away. He always visits her in the hospital and watched her from a far. He miss her every day but what can he do, he thought he finally had a taste of his own medicine, this must be how she felt everytime he avoided her and its painful. He wants to be with her, he wants to show her how much she means to him and he is willing to wait no matter how long until she is ready to forgive him.

"My husband, suggested that Eun Yoo can continue her rehabilitation and therapy in L.A. and as her parents I also want to consider your thoughts." Ms. Lee said. She and his parents were talking about Eun Yoo's condition when he was about to enter their living room. For the passed week, Eun Yoo shows no progress in her therapy she still cannot stand on her own.

"We only want the best for her and if that would help her recovery, we will not oppose, right Yeobo!" His mother said.

"I don't see anything that is lacking in the hospital facilities here, but Eun Yoo seems having a hard time accepting the situation. Her Psychiatrist thought that change of environment might help her. I'm really sad that until this day I can't do anything for her. She suffered a lot since she was a child, if only we could switch positions I'm willing to do that so she will no longer feel pain." Ms. Lee burst. His parents can't help but sympathize with her. They treat Eun Yoo as their real daughter, they love her unconditionally.

"We will support whatever will be your decision, we are co-parents now and we will help in every aspect." His father assured.

"I'm so grateful to you Sir and Mam, but nothing is decided yet. It is still up to Eun Yoo, I don't want to influence her decision. I know how much your family means to her." Ms. Lee said "And also I'm worried about your son, probably he will have the hardest time adjusting, if Eun Yoo decides to come with me to L.A."

"Eun Hyuk will understand for sure, he care about Eun Yoo and her health is also his top priority." His mother hold Ms. Lee's hand seemingly assuring her that everything will be alright.

Eun Hyuk was agitated, he can't imagine being separated to Eun Yoo. The thought of losing her is driving him crazy. That night he went to the hospital and proceeded to her room, he don't care if she is still mad at him all he need is to convince her not to leave him. 

She is sleeping peacefully when she felt someone is her hair.

"Mom!" She said thinking it's her mother but the shock was evident in her face when she realized that the person wasn't her Mom but instead it's her brother.

"What are you doing here, I said I don't want to see you!" She said trying not to scream.

"Eun Yoo, hear me our first. I'm sorry, I'm really sorry for hurting you. I will do anything for you, please forgive for taking you for granted this past few months. I will be good to you, I will take care of you, we can runaway together and be happy for the rest of our lives. I don't care what other people will say about me, but I can't live without you. I know I might sound crazy but I like you and I want us together." He said in despair.

"What are you saying? You sure gone mad don't you? We can't be together and I'm sure you know that." She's now confuse.

"Please, Eun Yoo-Ah don't leave me!" He pulled her body closer to him.

"This is wrong!" She said and tears are now b in her eyes. She thought they are both crazy because no matter how she deny it, she loves him too.

His forehead is now touching hers and he wipe her tears, ignoring his. He wants to prolong the moment, he lightly kiss her hair and inhale her sweet scent. He slowly descended his head to kiss her but he felt her arms pushing him.

"We can't do this, Oppa!"

He hug her again with more force. "Please Eun Yoo! Stay with me, I'll make you happy!" He insisted.

"I said don't, you are hurting me!" She scream and in a matter of seconds Ms. Lee come in.

"Eun Hyuk, what are you doing here?" She asked completely shocked.

"Ms. Lee, please don't take Eun Yoo with you. Let her stay here with me. I promise I will be a good doctor, I will take care and protect her. I will make her happy! Eun Yoo, please give Oppa a chance, you know that I can't live without you." He cried in desperation. 

"Oppa, please just go! Don't make it hard for us!" Eun Yoo pleaded.

"Eun Yoo-Ah, please!" He's on his knees begging.

"Eun Hyuk, please go home now. We can talk about this tomorrow." Ms. Lee try to calm him down.

His parents fetch him at the hospital. They weren't really surprised with Eun Hyuk's revelation, but they are quite disappointed because they think that they should have handle it better. They put all the trust to their children specially to Eun Hyuk they were convinced that he is always level-headed because he exhibited maturity since he was young. It's not they fail to teach them good values but they ignore that their constant togetherness could lead to the possibility that they might fall in love with each other. If they will look at it on a bigger picture, to be honest there is nothing wrong because they are not blood related but reality bites, the society has different expectations and perspectives about their situation. It will all boils down to the type of parenting they had. People look up to them because they are successful in their professions as Social Worker and a Lawyer respectively. But it doesn't matter now all they want to do is to protect their children at all cost.

Both parents agreed that Eun Yoo continues her medication abroad. They are aware of impact of separation for the two but at that moment they thought it's the right thing to do.

"Eun Hyuk-Ah, can we come in? His mother asked. He didn't reply but his parents decided to open the door and found him sitting on the floor of his room. His mother cried seeing her son so down. It's been a month since Eun Yoo left. Her Mom update them about her current condition almost every day, somehow they are appease to know how her body is responding well to the therapy. However, she didn't hide to them that Eun Yoo is having difficulty adjusting being away from them specially to Eun Hyuk.

"I'm sorry I disappointed you, I pushed Eun Yoo away. I'm the reason why she left. If I didn't tell her how I truly feel she wouldn't be scared, she could have choose to stay with us. I didn't mean to fall for her but I'm so weak and just allowed that to happen. I feel like I'm the monster who destroyed  this family." He exclaimed.

His mother hugged him tightly.

"Don't say that, it's no one's fault!"

"Eun Hyuk-ah, pull yourself together! Do you think it will help Eun Yoo, do you think she will be happy if she learned that you are punishing yourself." His father spoke. 

"Your Appa is right, we can never change what happened. But if you really love Eun Yoo, you have to be strong and prove it to her. If you are meant to be, for sure love will find the way!" His mother said. 

*** 

Sunmer 2020, L.A.

"Eun Yoo, are you ready? We don't want to be late for the flight." Her Mom, knock on her door.

"I'm ready!" She answered.

"Hon, are you sure you and Eun Yoo will be ok that I will not come with you to Seoul? Her stepdad asked.

"It's ok dad! Should we be the one to ask if you are fine being left alone here with Meg and Riley." She . She was referring to her younger half-brother and sister.

"I miss you, take care of yourself, my daughter and don't forget to call as soon as the plane landed." He hugged Eun Yoo, he treats her like her real daughter.

"I will miss you too dad!"

"We need to check-in now baby! Honey, take care of yourself and the kids while we are away! I love you!" Her mom kissed his stepdad before they leave.

***

Summer of 2020, Seoul

"Eun Hyuk-Ah, did see the invitation, Sora will get married next month. Should we attend, for good old days sake?" Sang Yi said.

"Hmmm, I'll check my schedule. What will be the date again? He asked as he dry his hair with the towel.

"It says July 15!" Sang Yi reply.

His phone rings.

"Yeoboseyo, Omma!" He answered his phone. "Yes, I'm free tomorrow. See you then." He said before hanging up the phone.

"I'll go to bed now, I had a long day at the hospital." He told his housemate.

***

"Mr. Lee, Mrs. Hwang, thank you for accepting my invitation, I'm really happy to see you both healthy and still looking young!" Ms. Lee complimented and greeted the couple.

"We are happy to see you too, you look great. I can't believe 5 years had passed!" Mrs. Hwang said.

"Eun Yoo, told me that she'll be a little late. It's been 5 days since we arrived and all she's doing is work. But she is really happy that she will be able to launch her clothing line here in Seoul.  By the way, Eun Hyuk, will he come?" Ms. Lee said excitedly.

"Yes, but we were actually little worried, he didn't know that we will meet you and Eun Yoo here." Mrs. Hwang said hesitantly.

"Like you said Ma'am, it's been 5 years. The kids are more matured now for sure they can handle this better. Either way they need to meet at least for good old time sake." Ms. Lee smile

"He is here!" Mr. Lee blurted upon seeing his son.

"Ms. Lee!" He was clearly stunned to see her.

"You should sit first, I heard you are a doctor now Eun Hyuk-ssi!" Ms. Lee greeted him.

He was about to say something, when he heard a familiar voice.

"Mom!" 

It's no other than, Lee Eun Yoo. The world seem stop as soon as their eyes met. He remember her pretty and cute face as a teenager but he is astonished at how stunning she is now. Her hair still long but a little curlier at the tip. He wonder if it still smells the same, at that moment he wants to run his fingers to feel how smooth her hair is. She is naturally skinny since then, she did ballet as a kid but she is more graceful and elegant now. Her accident made her quit dancing not because she wanted to but her health is already at stake if she continues. That reality only made him guiltier than she was when she was still lying on the hospital bed. He ruined her dream and take away the thing she loves doing the most. But she proved how strong-willed she is, she bounced back and pursue her passion for designing. She is now making name in the fashion industry abroad with her street-smart and casual clothing line. Although they don't communicate, his parents update him almost everything that is going on with her life. He is happy to see her but he not sure if she feels the same.

That dream-like state was cut-short when his mother stood from her seat to hug Eun Yoo.

"Eun Yoo-Ah! I can't believe you are here. Look how beautiful you are. Yeobo our daughter!" His mother is in tears, showing how she missed her.

"We are happy to see you! We missed you!" His father joined them.

"Omma, Appa, I'm happy to see you! I'm actually surprised! I miss you so much." She cried, still like a child. 

If their situation is different, he might have also join the group hug. He miss her too, so much, not a single day passed that she wasn't on his mind. But he afraid that he if does, he might scare her away. He remained rooted on his seat, for now he is contended for the fact that she is here just few steps away from where he is sitting. He noticed Ms. Lee looking at him and she gave him a weak smile.

They are enjoying the dinner but the awkwardness is still there. Eun Yoo is aware how Eun Hyuk steal glances on her, she knows because she can't  help from doing it too. She misses him so much, everyday. She was surprised to see them and she is mentally scolding her mom for setting up this dinner without her knowledge, her mom on the other hand is ignoring the knowing looks she is giving her throughout the dinner. She thought he didn't change that much, he still have those eyeglasses. He looks dapper in his suit, maybe because his parents told him it's a formal dinner and he is a doctor now, an Orthopedic, that's maybe one of the reason why his fashion sense change. He is still lanky but she figures that his shoulders are much broader now and his face how can she ignore the most handsome face she'd seen in her whole existence. His brushed up hair looks good on him and that shy smile. She realized she still wants to be the reason behind those smile.

"So how long you will stay here?" Mr. Lee asked.

"I might stay for another two weeks, but Eun Yoo will stay a little longer until she settles everything  in the store!" Ms. Lee said.

"So you two are staying at the hotel?" His mother asked.

"Yes Omma!" Eun Yoo answered back.

"If that's the case why don't you just stay with us, the house feels lonely since you left. It's just your Appa and me there.  Eun Hyuk, since he became a resident orthopedic he stays more in hospital more than his apartment. He barely visits us." His mother ranted.

"Omma!" He said seemingly embarrassed.

"Is that true Eun Hyuk, you must be workaholic too like Eun Yoo? Aist you should have time to rest too." Ms. Lee said

"Mom!" Eun Yoo protested.

"What, it's not like that I'm lying." Ms. Lee retorted.

"Both of you can stay with us, specially you Eun Yoo when your mom leaves." His Appa said

"But Appa, I think it's too much." Eun Yoo protested again.

"I have to agree with them, I'll be more at peace when I know someone is looking after you when I leave. I know you will tell me that you are no longer a child, but for me you are still my baby!" Ms. Lee's laughter is contagious that can make everyone laugh along with her.

While Eun Yoo just rolled her eyes upon hearing what her Omma had said. She knows she will never win  against her.

***

Weeks passed and Ms. Lee flew back to the states, leaving Eun Yoo under the care of her adoptive family. Her room looks like the same. She laughed seeing some of her silly photos posted on the wall. If only she can stay longer, she will rearrange it, it doesn't suit her style anymore. Her tears fell as soon as she saw her favorite pair of ballet shoes is still placed in glass box. Her parents still taking good care of her belongings eventhough she was away.

What her parents said about Eun Hyuk was true, she's been staying with them for 4 days already but he didn't even come home since then. She can't stop thinking that maybe he is still avoiding her although their Omma says he busy in the hospital. 

"Eun Yoo-Ah, are you sure if you are going to be ok alone here? 

"Yes Omma, besides halmoni needs you and Appa. I can take care of myself, I really want to go with you too but I need to take care a lot of things in the store." She assures them.

***
She woke up with a throbbing headache. Her team decided to cap the night drinking in a nearby bar. She remember taking cab to get home, she can't drive because she don't have South Korean Driver's License yet. She got home safely but she don't remember going upstairs. She struggled walking, that's why she decided to just sleep in the couch but here she is lying in the comfort of her bed, still wearing her yesterday's outfit.  She went straight to the shower, fixed herself and get ready for work. 

Once done, she goes down, she think of having coffee before she heads out when she heard noise in the kitchen and that low voice of Lee Eun Hyuk.

"You're awake!" He greeted.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as she recovered from shock.

"As far as I know, I live here too!" He said trying to  looks funny. "Aist whatever, sit down and have breakfast first." 

"I'm already late, I'll grab one once I arrive in the studio!" She said.

"Yah, that's non sense. I also prepared hang-over soup, it will help your headache. I'll drive you to work." He said and push her down to sit. Now, she knows the reason why she is in her bedroom, he carried her there.

"You should be in the hospital, right?" She asked.

"I took a leave! Omma called me last night and told me what happened to grandma." He explained.

"Then you should come with them, for sure grandma will be happy to see you." She said.

"I'd love too but Omma, requested me to stay here with you!" He smile awkwardly.

"Aist, I told Omma, that I can already take care of myself." She scoffed.

"Really, is that so why you just slumped yourself on the couch? As I can see you still didn't know your alcohol limit huh." He said sarcastically.

"And why do you care? I don't need your help!" She angrily replied  and stood up from her seat.

"Lee Eun Yoo, stop being stubborn, sit down and finish your food." He yelled. She don't know but as soon as she heard him she did what he order, she sat down and eat in silence. She knows he still have the authority in this house because he is the real child of the owner and she is just a guest, a very privileged guest.

***

"Thank you for the ride, you can go now!" She said before opening the door in the passenger seat. She was completely stunned when she learned that he followed her.

"Where are you going?" She asked with the furrow eyebrows.

"I'd like to see your workplace!" He answered 

She looked at him suspiciously. She noticed that he is wearing his signature outfit, ripped jeans, his flannel and a sneakers. She ignored him and continue walking to the studio.

"Boss, you're here. I would like you to see this, but who is he, is he your boyfriend ?" One of her staff asked looking at Eun Hyuk

"Are you crazy? He is my..." She retorted.

"Hi, I'm Lee Eun Hyuk, her brother." He introduced himself.

"OMO!" All the staff were surprised.

"Yah, I know, didn't I tell you already that I grew up here in Seoul? His family adopted me so technically were siblings." She exclaimed irritatedly.

"But we are not blood-related, so we are more like of strangers turned siblings who were forced to live and grew up together in the same house." Eun Hyuk said out of nowhere.

"Yah!" She glared to silence him.

"You're cute!" The staff said.

"Ms. Eun Yoo, we have a problem, our model Song Gaon had an accident on the way here, he is now confined in the hospital." One of the staff said.

"Oh my God, we can't delay the shoot, we must meet our deadline. Call the agency and tell them to send another model?" She instructed.

"I did, but they said that all of their male models are fully booked today, they will have available model tomorrow." Her staff explained.

She took a deep breath "Can we check with other  modeling agencies? I know it might incur additional cost but we have to finish the shoot today." She said frustratedly.

"Boss, please relax, I think we have a solution now for this problem I know someone who can help us!" Her staff said who is looking intently at her brother.

***

"I don't think he can do that!" She said.

"Why not, he's tall and fit, and he is handsome. Boss he is our only chance. Do you agree girls?" The staff's nodded to show they agree.

***

"Are you sure, you can do this? You can say no!" She told Eun Hyuk.

"Don't you trust me? You know I can be good at anything if I want to!" He said showing his naughty smile.

"You are too proud!" She said slightly annoyed. "Yah, go and change." Pushing him to the  dressing room.

In a matter of minutes, he emerged from the room, his visuals stunned the staffs, the photographer and Eun Yoo. He still don't have make-up on but he is already glowing. The clothes fit him perfectly but Eun Yoo having a keen eye to details noticed something wrong on placement of buttons of the his polo. 

"You're still sluggish you know, look at buttons are you trying to ruin my design. How can you model my clothes if you look all so awkward?" She said while she fix his polo ignoring the other staffs in the venue. Eun Hyuk was surprised at their proximity because for so long, he had never been this close to her that he can smell the sweet scent she is emitting. Her fingers lightly brushed his bare chest, and that made his breath hitched which didn't go unnoticed to Eun Yoo with that she lightly move backward upon realizing how close she is next to him. 

"Do I really look bad at your sight?" He asked slightly hurt with her comment. 

"No, look I'm sorry. You look fine, it's just that.." She said giving him apologetic look.

He smiled, "It's ok, I know you are stressed, that is why I'm trying to help you. I'll do my best! Arasso!"

***

"You did a wonderful job Dr. Lee Eun Hyuk!" The photographer said.

"What, you are a doctor?" One the staff asked.

"Yes he is, apparently my niece told me about your Dr. Lee, she is one your patient, Myunghee is her name!" The photographer said.

"Aist, Myunghee really!" Eun Hyuk said.

"Anyways, we have a long day, everyone did well today. Specially Eun Hyuk-ssi. Models will loose their job once the modelling agencies discover you." The photographer said, continue praising him.

"Before, we go home let's eat first, food are just delivered courtesy of our boss." The staff announced.

"Where is Eun Yoo, by the way?" He asked when he realized she wasn't there.

"She went outside!" The staff answered.

He went outside and see Eun Yoo lighting a cigarette.

"I didn't know that you smoke!" He said, trying not to judge her.

"Yeah, occasionally, when I'm stressed." She said as she puffs the cigarette.

"There are other way to disstress, you know that is not good for you!" He said.

"Don't tell me what is good or what's not for me. Just mind your own business!" She said irritatedly.

"What, I'm just concern!" He said clearly frustrated.

"We are not related so stop bossing me around and don't interfere with my life ever again!" She said before walking away from him.

***

The ride home was quiet, no one dare to speak and as soon as they arrived she immediately locked herself to her room.

The house is big for the two of them, but for her it still suffocating with him around. She feels that the wall she built around her are starting to collapse. After 5 years he still have the power over her.

The next morning, she woke up. He wasn't there in the breakfast table but he still prepared her food. She goes home late at night so she will not see him and she thought he is doing the same, he might be staying in his room or maybe in the treehouse, they are back to avoiding each other phase, because they know if they didn't they will only yearn for each other presence.  They spend the days like that, running away, hiding their true feelings. 

She was in her lying down and preparing to sleep when the light went out. It was raining hard accompanied by the strong wind and thunder. She waited for the electricity to return but few minutes passed and still not happened. Eun Hyuk is still in the hospital and she don't know how to operate the generator. She searched her phone and check the news and learned that there is electricity outage in Seoul and no assurance when it will be fixed. She is starting to feel scared, she hates darkness, it brings back the bad memories of her childhood. Her body is shaking because of fear. She want to see light because the light from her phone is not enough and she can't see anything until she heard a knock from her door and a voice calling her name.

"Eun Hyo-Ah are you ok?" It's Eun Hyuk, he is panting, he hurriedly went to her knowing that she fears dark and thunder.

"Oppa!" She cried and wrapped her arms around him. He realized she never heard called him Oppa since she came back not until now. She's trembling and she tightened her holds on to him.

"It's ok, I'm here now!" He hugs her and assisted her to bed. "I'm sorry, but the generator runs out of gas and I only have flashlight with me. You lie down now, I'll stay here until you fall asleep." But instead she hugs him tighter and buries her head to his chest. She cried so hard while he rubs her back. 

"I can't believe you are still afraid of dark and thunder, you always act brave and fearless!" He sighed  and smiled  bitterly. 

"What happened to us Oppa?" She raised her head to face him, he was slightly taken aback with her question. "Why things between us keep falling apart? Why can't we just stay happy like when we were younger? Why can't I stop thinking of you no matter how I tried? What about you, do you still care about me, Oppa? I know it's wrong but I can't stop myself from liking you!" She said staring at his face, although it's dark, her face is glowing and her eyes are twinkling, despite of the tears and pain, still they reflects love. Her confession made his heart swell. He didn't answered back but instead he closed the gap of their faces and gave her tentative kisses on her lips. She closed her eyes, savoring the moment, until she felt the urge to reciprocate his kiss. He smiled into the kiss, he gently nibbled her lower lips and encourage her to open . His hands are now holding her neck for support as he deepen the kiss. He gently shove his tongue to explore and taste her sweet mouth. He knows he will never get enough of her. They continue kissing, they will stop for while to catch their breaths but go on kissing again.  He maybe not good with words, but he has his way to show how much he loves her. "I love you so much!" He said as he grasps for air and wipes her tears using his thumb before kissing her again senselessly.

The raindrops continue to splatter against the window, the wind whistles and thunder rumbles from time to time. She is shaking not because of fear but because of his touch and smooth caresses. His hands and lips freely wander around her body, feel her every curves. He worship her, she is his Angel and he swear she is the only woman he will love. She wept because of pain but she begged for more as soon as the pleasure takes over.

"Eun Yoo-Ah!" He whimpered. His lips gently kiss her neck as he rock their bodies as if they are dancing to the sound and beat which only the two of them can hear.

"Oppa! Ahh! Please!" She pleaded. She felt like her soul left her body due to the intense culmination of their love.

He was careful not to crash his body onto her. He rested his head against her bare chest and listen to her heartbeat. They are both heaving, they stay in that position until their joined bodies recover from their bliss.

"Will it be always like this? I mean, will it be always feels like this? She asked while she his hair. He carefully look at her "How does it feel?" He furrow his eyebrows anticipating her answer.

"What we did, it felt good. I never experienced something like this before. It so good to the point that I don't want it to end. You made me feel like I'm the most beautiful girl in the world. I love you!" She said. "You're my first love, my first, my everything."

"Because, indeed you are the most beautiful girl in the world and you're the best I ever had.  I'll keep my promise, I'll take care of you and will make you happy for the rest of our lives. I love you! I'm glad that I made you feel good and yes it will always feel like this, because it's you! You're  my life and my dream!" He kiss her on the forehead.

"Do you think they will accept us?" She asked. He looked at her and give her an assuring smile.

"We will make it work, we will fight for our love!" He said as he pull the sheet to cover their bareness.

They know that the road they're taking is not going to be easy. Some people will understand but most will judge them. But they are willing to take the chances regardless how crazy it may seem, because that is love, it's crazy but it's always worth it.

"Tonight, Im gonna breakaway! Just you wait and see. I'll never been imprisoned by a faded memory!