Sojung 2

Common Sense
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Those three words coursed panic through my body. I pull her inside, and have her sit on my bed. Her eyes seemed dead, yet full of fear. I crouch down in front of her, trying to search her hazy eyes.

"Unnie... I didn't mean to do it... I didn't..." Her voice shook, and her nails started to dig into her thighs.

"Didn't mean to do what?" I ask quietly.

She raises her head up slightly, looking sadly into my own eyes. "Last night... we were drunk. Someone brought me home. Their home. I—" She starts to choke up. I lay my hands on hers in an effort to help calm her.

"—I don't remember much. But someone was trying to get me to lie down, a-and we were in bed. i–I woke up, and my top was gone, but... she was wearing less." Her hands clasp into mine tightly. "I don't know how far we went... b-but I wish it never happened in the first place."

Tears start to fall from her eyes. There's utter regret in her voice and on her face, and I don't even know what to do or say.

"I never meant for it to happen." She sobs and gets off of the bed, throwing her arms around my neck and crying into my shoulder. "I tried to get here as fast as I could. I'm sorry... P-please forgive me."

It broke my heart. She is the victim, and yet she's apologizing to me.

It's not about me.

But right now, I'm her shoulder to cry on. 

It's not your fault.

-

 

It took a while for Eunbi to calm down and fall asleep.

When her sobs died down, I grabbed her some water and a pill to lessen her hangover headache. I let her take a shower and offered her a pair of sweats and my school hoodie.

A realization came back to me after a while: Eunbi is that much smaller than me. I don't even remember the last time she stole one of my pieces of clothing, but it reached down to her thighs, making her look so soft and small.

My fuzzy blanket curled with her as she slept on my bed. Even in her unconscious, her brows furrowed, and it made me want to just hug her again.

 

I don't even know what to do.

Am I supposed to find out who it is? 

Will Eunbi tell me when she's ready?

Am I supposed to get revenge?

What will Yewon think? 

Why did Yewon do that?

What did I do for Eunbi to come back to me?

 

Just when I think my thoughts are about to consume me, I hear a soft groan from the side.

"Unnie..." she called out to me, barely over a whisper. Her drowsy eyes looked at me, and her arm stretched out towards mine. "Unnie, you should get some sleep too..."

She's right. I'm tired as hell.

When I start to lay my head on my desk, Eunbi lets out a small whine. "That's not good for sleeping..." She opens up my blanket, signaling me to come join her.

I wanted to jump right in, yet my feet stayed planted to the floor. If I step into that bed, things will change. Our unspoken status we have right now could change. I might overstep, and she could break down again. What kind of person will I turn into when Eunbi holds me?

Before I know it, I'm under the covers with her. I could tell she hesitated, but she rests her head on shoulder and her hand holds on to my arm. 

I lie here with my eyes closed for I don't know how long, but my consciousness stayed wide awake. 

And Eunbi could tell. I feel a gentle touch on my jaw, causing my eyes to open and look at her.

Those beady eyes were looking at mine in a way I can't find the words to describe; a mix of emotions that I would never be able to comprehend, because that's who Eunbi is.

But I only feel one thing when her lips are on mine—

Heartbreak.

 

Eunbi pulls away not too long after. It was chaste, yet I found myself out of breath. She brings her head under my chin, sighing in content. For some reason, it helped me find the ability to get the sleep I needed.

---

 

I thought I would be happier with her back in my life.

I think I am.

But when Yewon comes back to the dorms, and Eunbi and I continue seeing each other in private, I start to get pulled in all these directions I can't stretch to.

Yewon thinks Eunbi and I are just friends.

Eunbi thinks we're about to cross the fine line between us.

I don't even know where I stand with either of them. 

 

One day, Eunbi texted me, asking me to come over to her dorm room saying she had great news.

I was confused as to why she was holding a balloon in her hand and a rose in the other. 

"Sojung unnie," she starts with a smile. "I did it."

"Did what?"

"I came out to my parents."

There's a big smile on her face, so I'm assuming it went well. Remembering how scared she used to be, it brought relief to me that she could smile about it now.

"How did it go?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

She steps forward, and hands me the flower. "They weren't surprised. Apparently, I'm too charming to be straight," she laughs. "I told them about you too. And... what do you say we go out tonight?" 

With Eunbi's bright smile, all I can think about is how much I've missed seeing that— especially knowing that she's smiling because of me.

"In public?" I say as a joke.

"In public."

And it was fun. We finally got to go bowling again, had a couple of drinks, kissed at the Han river— it's like we never broke up.

It's been three months since we did, and honestly, I should stop counting.

We find a little spot on the grass to sit down on. There is barely anyone around, and the night was cold and quiet.

"So..." Eunbi mutters as she stares into the water. "When will Yewon stop hating me?"

I shrug. "Yewon is... complicated." That was the best answer I could give. In truth, Yewon is open and concise, only complicated to me because that's what I make of her.

"She never really did like me, did she?" she laughs.

"Nonsense. You guys were great friends. She just... doesn't know the whole story." There's a thought itching in the back of my mind, wanting to come out of my mouth to tell Eunbi. If I do tell her, what would it change? 

"Actually Eunbi, there's something I need to tell you." I shift my body so that I'm completely facing her. She looks towards me with concern in her eyes, and I feel my throat tighten. "That day when you went out for drinks with your friends... Yewon asked if we could hang out before she left for home. She uhm..." I take a breath to prepare myself from something I've been pushing back for a while.

"She kissed me," I finally say. 

"...oh." Eunbi looks away after a moment, her brows furrowed.

"I don't... exactly know her feelings for me. But I can tell you one of the reasons why she didn't want you to have a second chance." I can tell the other is upset—  likely thinking hard with the way her fingers pull at the grass beneath us.

After a minute of silence, she lets out a sigh and keeps her eyes trained on her feet. "Do you have feelings for her?"

"Eunbi..."

She turns her head to look into my eyes. "Do you still have feelings for me?"

That was a difficult question. It shouldn't be. I like Eunbi, don't I? Isn't that why I gave her a second chance? 

Why is it suddenly so hard for me to answer?

"Eunbi, I do like you—"

"Then why can't you tell Yewon?"

I shift back at that, anger starting to boil in my gut. "Well, what the hell do you want me to tell her? 'Back off'? 'Yewon, I need you to stop liking me'?"

"Why can't you?" Eunbi says through her teeth.

"She's my roommate. I've known her for years, and I see her way more than I see you. What, you want one of us to change dorm rooms in the middle of the semester?"

She huffs out heavily and turns away. "I want us to be together again."

Those words struck me, a sore bone stinging me that felt uncomfortable everytime I thought about it.

"What if I don't?" I mutter out with half a mind.

"...what?" Eunbi's eyes filled with confusion as her head snapped towards me.

"What if I don't want us to get back together?"

"Unnie." She shifts closer, in a defensive stance as if she's ready to hold me down. "What are you talking about?"

I don't answer her. I simply keep my gaze out on the water with my breathing slowly growing erratic.

"You gave me a second chance. I thought... I thought you wanted this. What was going on then this entire time?" She exhales shakily. "Why do you kiss me back? Why did you agree to go out with me today and all those other times? Why didn't you say anything?!"

"Maybe it's because I don't know what I want!" I yell out. "Maybe I don't want to be put in the public eye just because I'm with one of the most popular girls on campus. Maybe I don't want to go out adventuring. Maybe I'm still hurt from when we br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter