Sojung 1

Common Sense
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's only been a week since we broke up.

I thought I would feel fine.

Good riddance, I thought.

Yet, that damn smile never leaves my head.

 

It was after my literature class earlier today when I saw her in the hallway, surrounded by girls and guys as usual. She was the center of attention. She said something with that smile of hers on her face, and the group laughed. 

Seems like she's doing fine.

What was I even expecting? She's single now— of course people would come swarming for a date with her.

"Hey. Ignore her." I felt an arm lock with mine, and I turn to see my roommate Yewon looking at me, concerned. 

"Oh," I try to cover up with a shrug. "I was just curious as to why there was a bunch of people over there." I sigh, relaxing my shoulders. "I'm not surprised that she's the cause."

"Unnie, let's go."

Back in our dorm room and at our desks, Yewon had started ranting out of nowhere. 

"I can't believe her! Does she have no emotions at all? I thought she would sulk at least a little!"

"It sounds like you're the one that dated her," I roll my eyes, trying to read my assignment.

"Oh, come on. Can't I be angry at her?" She spins in her chair and rolls to my side. "She's the one that stopped caring about you!"

"Which is exactly why she's moved on so quick after I broke up with her." I close my laptop and jump to my bed. "I'm gonna take a nap."

I hear Yewon sigh lightly. "Unnie, just please forget about her. I don't want to see you get hurt again." The wheels of her chair rumbled as she rolled away, but it echoed through my mind as I tried to keep my eyes closed.

I did end up taking a nap for three hours. I woke up starving, and my roommate was most likely in the cafeteria. I was sluggish and hungry, so I didn't care about fixing my hair or at least rinsing my tired eyes before heading down.

Terrible decision. 

Of course Hwang Eunbi was there. 

I grab some food and look for Yewon. 

Of course Yewon had to be sitting at the table next to Eunbi's.

Reluctant, I still sat, knowing the latter is too busy with the swoons she's receiving from the people at her table to notice me.

But it was fine. Doesn't matter. I broke up with her.

"Good afternoon," my roommate greeted me. "You look like you had a good sleep." Her eyes darted to the top of my head, noticing the strands that were flying away from my bun.

"I did, actually. Didn't think about my ex, but here I am sitting two meters away from her." I give a sarcastic smile before beginning to eat.

It wasn't long before I felt like someone was watching me. I raise my head up, but Yewon's eyes were on her book. I slowly looked around, seeing students eating and talking in their own business. When I finally looked to my right, I almost spit my food out when I see Eunbi looking right at me.

When we make eye contact, her smile turns into a smirk, which then turned into a full blown grin. That stupid wide, crooked smile that makes my heart pound everytime.

Well, not anymore. I think.

Eunbi turned back to her group, keeping the smile as a reaction to some story a girl across her was telling. 

"You okay?"

Yewon had that same concerned look towards me.

"I'm fine. Why do you ask?" I lied.

"Your face is kinda red. Is the food spicy? I know you can't handle heat." She fanned my face, going as far as using her book.

"Yeah... Just a little." Another lie.

I noticed the table beside us begin to stand up and prepare to head out. One glance, I told myself. So I did—

— and I found myself frozen once again under her gaze.

 

Here I am, back on my bed, tiring myself out with my thoughts. 

What the hell? I broke up with her for a reason. 

She's messing with me again.

But I don't know why my heart skipped that time.

-

 

It's been two weeks since we broke up (not like anyone is counting.)

On one of the days, two girls suddenly sat in front of me while I was eating lunch and studying. I had no idea who they were, but they looked familiar to me for some reason. 

"Hi! You're Kim Sojung, right?" one of them asked. She spoke in a high tone, and had the innocence of a child in her eyes.

"Uhm... Who is asking?" I respond.

"I'm Eunha, and this is Yuna," she gestures to the one beside her. 

"Nice to meet you two." I'm not sure why they're talking to me, but might as well be polite.

"So! I heard you broke up with Eunbi. How? And why?" 

I felt like there was a microphone in my face and a camera recording. Did they really come here just to gossip?

The Yuna girl started her own commentary after the other's questions. "You and Eunbi dating was like, the hottest topic on campus. Now that you're apparently not together anymore, you're still the hottest topic!"

"Everyone wants to know the details!" Eunha squealed. 

"Just think about it! Eunbi didn't date anyone for the longest time, then suddenly you went and got her? And broke up with her instead of it being the other way around?"

The way Yuna spoke hit me a little too hard there. I had thought about it once when we first started dating, but never thought about it again as I was too busy being in love with her.

Hwang Eunbi: one of the most sought out girls on campus. Known for her tough outer shell, charming smile, and hot-as-hell fashion taste, everyone wants to get to know her. Some people know her for her friendliness (because they've actually had a conversation with her), while a lot still think she's one of those mean girls that could crush your soul with just one look.

She turned down every suitor that came her way, yet approached me and asked me out. Being completely oblivious and naive, I just accepted. No thoughts about ulterior motives, or the curiosity of the situation— I saw a pretty girl that was interested in me.

"So how did you break up with her?" Eunha asked once again. "Through text? A slap to the face? A lot of people are saying she cheated on you."

"Wh-what no!" As much as I would want to get revenge, I would never allow myself to accuse Eunbi as a cheater, or let rumors ruin her. "It was uh..." Gears turned in my head, trying to find the most vague yet specific answer. "We just talked one day. I felt like things weren't going to work out, so I ended it."

The two girls in front of me had the most intent faces, as if they completely understood every word I said.

"Wow..." Yuna muttered.

Eunha nodded. "That's really boring..."

I deflated a little, knowing they really wanted something scandalous yet I gave them an answer with a lot of omitted details.

"So, how are you feeling now?" The taller one had gentle eyes, so I felt like I could be honest towards that question. But I wasn't.

"I'm... alright, I guess. I'm not sad or anything," I shrugged. 

"Good for you, girl." Yuna gave me a high-five, together with a thumbs up.

"I heard Eunbi went on a date yesterday. She told us she'll probably follow through."

"Wait, she told you?" Who exactly were these girls?

"Yeah! We met through a music class." That's where I've seen them from. I knew I had seen these two girls from somewhere.

There was a glint in Eunha's eyes which I noticed a little late. I don't know what it was exactly, but I know it wasn't a good one.

"...why didn't you ask her these questions?"

The taller shook her head. "Everytime someone asks her about you, she switches the subject or doesn't answer. She never really talks about herself, which is why she's such a mystery."

"Oh. I see." Before I could ask them any further questions, they bid me farewell as they had to get to another class.

So much to leaving myself with my thoughts again.

I know Eunbi differently than everyone else. I didn't get to know her as a friend first. As I  had just found out, she doesn't talk much about herself. Yet, when we were together, she would answer any question I had about her.

Who is Hwang Eunbi?

-

 

"Unnie. It's common sense. You're right for breaking up with her." Yewon was again, lecturing me in our room after she returned from her last class.

"Common sense isn't as common as you think it is," I refute.

"If you get burnt, you step away from the fire." There she is again with her analogies. "If you get hurt by an Eunbi, you take her out of your life."

"Omuji, I'm just saying that maybe we should talk again. Hear her side, y'know. We could be friends, who knows?"

Yewon turns my chair around to face her. "Are you giving her a second chance?"

I think for a second. "Yes? A second chance as a person."

"And what if she doesn't accept it?"

"Then, I move on. She'll just be a memory." While my roommate looks very nice, her eyes can pierce right through me.

"Promise?" She puts out a hand and raises her pinky.

"Promise." I connect our fingers and close the promise.

-

 

"Hi. Uhmmm... Are you Kim Sojung?"

I look up from my book and see a familiar face. "Yes, I am."

"May I take a seat?" the girl asks.

"Uh, sure." I nod and close my book slowly, not sure why this pretty girl is sitting in front of me.

"I'm Hwang Eunbi, by the way. Am I bothering you?"

"No no, it's alright." No wonder she looks familiar. Hwang Eunbi. That girl Yewon pointed out before once.

"I uhm... I wanted to say that you're really pretty." I notice a little shy blush on her face, contrasting to her attire of a spiked leather jacket with thick leather boots.

"Oh. Thank you." I smile towards her. Well, this is something. 

"Are you seeing anyone at the moment?" 

If this conversation is going in the direction I think it's going, I might as well combust. 

"No. I'm not," I try to say with confidence, but then that would be kind of sad to confess that you're single.

"Cool. Cool." Eunbi nods in understanding, thumbs fiddling a little atop the table. "I was wondering... if you would like to go out sometime?"

Her face was too precious to say no to. She seems cool. A little shy, which is adorable. Why not?

 

Why would Eunbi date me out of all people? Why would she go out of her way to meet me and introduce herself?

She didn't steal anything from me. I'm not rich nor popular. I don't have connections to people of power. 

Was I a lowly prey she wanted to play with? Some girl she could go to when she feels bored?

Who was I to her? 

I didn't look back at her that day two weeks ago. I had rehearsed it all in my head, and told myself I wouldn't accept any excuses. 

For six months, I genuinely liked her. Loved her. Everyday, we would kiss and just talk. It was the simplicity of our relationship that felt so genuine and warm to me. 

Until one day, she started to grow distant. She stopped hugging me at random times. She didn't walk me to class anymore. She wouldn't even hold my hand. Our conversations felt dull, and there were days when we would only share a few words to each other. 

It's not like I didn't try. 

I would initiate conversation, or even catch her after her classes to talk to her. I would invite her on dates, and rewatch her favorite

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter