Chapter 5

They Woke Up Married
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s Villa

Hannam-dong, Seoul

9 pm

 

 

If Jong Kook is not working out in the gym, he stays home rather than hang out someplace else. He is most comfortable inside his villa watching reruns of Running Man or listening to music or he’ll just laze around in his big oversized bed talking to Hana over the phone.

 

 

There are days that the love of his life, Hana, would accompany him for days if she is not busy with work and would cook for him and Jong Kook’s day would be absolutely amazing. She would sometimes spend the rest of the night there. And his mom would sometimes drop by and visit.

 

 

His villa.

His comfort zone.

His solitude.

 

 

Until he woke up married one day and all of that changed. He suddenly doesn’t want to be left alone in that house. Well, he wasn’t alone technically. Ji Hyo is there; his wife is there with him. And it’s not a home for Jong Kook anymore.

 

 

 

Hana refuses to spend time there as well. She felt she lost her right to be there. She is just the girlfriend, and she can’t move inside the house with the wife being there. At least, she respects authority. Jong Kook and Hana cannot really spend much time in Hana’s house because her parents live with her, and they cannot really date freely outside because as much as everyone knows about their relationship, they still want to keep things private.

 

 

 

 

Basically, Jong Kook doesn’t have a choice but to get used to seeing Ji Hyo go in and out of what used to be an empty guest room. Not that she is getting in his way, but he of course had not imagined any of the situation that they are in now.

 

 

 

Ji Hyo is usually locked up in her room. She leaves whenever to wherever. She also doesn’t tell Jong Kook where she is going or what time she will be back or how many days she will be gone. And Jong Kook doesn’t tell her what goes on with his life either. Like they will care anyway. They seem like housemates. Only, housemates talk to each other. Jong Kook and Ji Hyo don’t. They simply nod at each other. Acknowledge each other’s presence if each one has arrived, and their paths crossed.

 

 

 

Jong Kook doesn’t even know where she eats. All he knows is that those cartons of milk and bottles of fruit juices in the refrigerator belongs to her. He wanted to ask her but that would start a conversation and he doesn’t want that.

 

 

 

He doesn’t want to do anything with Ji Hyo.

 

 

 

All he wanted with her was divorce and nothing else. Nothing else but divorce. And he wanted it soonest.

 

 

Never a day that he didn’t wish that it would come fast. Hana would always complain how their relationship has changed because of Ji Hyo. Jong Kook could not defend Ji Hyo because one time that he did, Hana didn’t talk to him for weeks. She thought he was developing some feelings with his wife, when in truth is they really don’t talk to each other. The relationship between Jong Kook and Hana did change because Hana became insecure, jealous and bitter. Who wouldn’t?

 

 

 

Her boyfriend is married to the most gorgeous, attractive and ier lady. And Jong Kook and that lady is living under one roof. And things can happen… You know, things… And Hana can feel the pressure. She is scared and threatened.

 

 

 

Hana started to be strict with Jong Kook and had become more irritated and more demanding. She flares up easily. She doesn’t accept Jong Kook’s apologies as quickly as before. Jong Kook is the one who is married to someone else, not her, and he cannot stop Hana for feeling bad nor he can stop her every time she blames Ji Hyo for everything that has happened. People are always like that, always looking for reasons for everything.

 

 

 

Jong Kook just keeps quiet and takes everything in. He follows Hana. So when Hana mentioned just once to him that she couldn’t possibly catch Jong Kook talking to Ji Hyo. Jong Kook took it as if it was cast in stone.

 

 

 

Jong Kook really does not talk to her, until one afternoon. Jong Kook saw Ji Hyo take out her empty trolley bag.

 

 

 

“Are you going somewhere?” He asked.

 

 

“I’m flying to Jeju.” She said without looking at him. “My friends from Australia are going there.”

 

 

“Can I come?” He asked.

 

 

 

It was Ji Hyo’s turn to remain silent. First, he spoke to her and then he wanted to come with her to Jeju? Ji Hyo stared at Jong Kook who darted his eyes away from her. She was waiting for him to take back what he just said. But he’s a man and for sure, it’s so cowardly to take it back.

 

 

 

“Are you serious?” Ji Hyo asked.

 

 

He nodded and shifted his eyes back to her.

 

 

 

“Okay.” She replied blankly.

 

 

“When are you leaving?” Jong Kook went closer to her. About three steps away from her. Three steps away. That’s close. She couldn’t speak now.

 

 

“Are you sick?” He touches her forehead while he touched his own neck. Ji Hyo removed his hand away from her head.

 

 

“I am fine.” She said after a few seconds.

 

 

Jong Kook nodded without looking at her. Seems like being lost for words is viral and contagious.

 

 

 

“I’m leaving this weekend. Taking Jeju Air’s ten a.m. flight from Gimpo.” She told Jong Kook not looking at him, so she was not sure if he was looking at her. “If you really want to go, then I’ll add up another room in my reservation.”

 

 

 

“I will come.” He told Ji Hyo and walked towards his room.

 

 

 

“Jong Kook-sshi?” Ji Hyo called out when he was about to close his door. “Why?”

 

 

 

“Nothing. I just wanted to go.” He answered and then he closed the door.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter