Story

Work Hazards
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was supposed to be a temp job. 

Just data tracking, redirecting calls to the correct agent, and checking paperwork. Simple. Easy, some might say. It paid her bills while the other applications were processing.

She didn’t expect to have the desk closest to the door nor, for whatever reason, stay on while six other people got fired, one after the other, within her first two weeks. Bad.

But she still had the job. Good?

But the thing about the desk and her position, literal and in terms of the job, means she gets to greet and sit next to the first new face to be hired to that department.

And boy…what a face.

“H-hi,” Yoohyeon manages, bowing as soon as the other woman walks in. She’s probably older, and even if she isn’t it’s nice to be formal. She looks…not old, no way, but older, though maybe it’s just her presence? Her suit game is strong, the glasses are nice, and her smile is wide.

“Are you Yoohyeon? I was told to take the desk next to you, ask you about the Word software?”

“Oh yes, yes. Kim Yoohyeon, nice to meet you,” and she bows again. 

“Kim Minji.”

Cool, very cool. Classy.

Minji giggles and she feels the opposite of cool, as in burning hot, but she manages to boot up Word and points to Minji’s computer.

“Do you uh, do you need help to set it up?”

=

Minji’s hopeless with technology, but she’s smart and pretty and sweet. 

And observant. 

“Oh, you don’t need to write that part for me, I’ll do it.”

“Yoohyeon, are you hot? Your face is flushed.”

“I have some extra paper clips if you need them.”

“Did you mean to write “waret” or was it supposed to be water?”

Over the course of one week, she destabilizes Yoohyeon’s entire environment and mind. She makes a point to sit up at her desk after a subtle criticism of her posture, her pens are rearranged after Minji’s point about her organization proved correct, and she no longer keeps open the Dreamcatcher Twitter tab that she would check right when she got in and right when she left. 

(So she wants to see how her faves are doing—she still does all her work, it’s not bad.)

None of this gives her any indication of the absolute bizarre, bat, out of left field and not even this stadium situation that she’s about to find herself in.

I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter