Act 4

Gravitational Pull
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Missed me?🙃😆

-

That same beach day, everyone gathers around in the wide parts of the shore to make a sorry excuse of a fire upon nightfall, and they huddle around it like scavengers do around a forest fire to salvage some warmth. They’re all holding bears in their hands and Chanyeol’s forcing her to - suspiciously - sit next to him so he can hand her her own beer. As if he can’t just throw her one or pass her one through literally every single person. But she knows that he’s scheming under his fingers. It’s his agenda these days to make her life miserable.

Once she does sit down, she looks around; her eyes subconsciously searching for the boy her heart seems to kidnap inside. It’s turning into a subconscious move and she’s a little terrified of it; how she simply gravitates towards him like steel towards magnet. Baekhyun’s sitting across her on the other side of the fire under the wet logs they managed to roll over, still donned in his jeans and uncomfortable sweater. He’s squished between Junmyeon and Jongin, the latter giving him a beer bottle. She giggles a little upon seeing his scowling face, his hand accepting the beer for the sole reason of obligation rather than actually wanting to drink it. She suddenly wants to ask him what his favorite drink is.

He looks up when he hears her laugh, as if he’s got his hearing senses attuned to her voice, like a radio channel. They lock eyes, and she raises a playful eyebrow up, whereas he rolls his eyes at her. There’s a smile up his face, though.

Sehun sits besides her with a large exhale, his whole body falling down on the log underneath her in a way that purposefully make it shake, as if affected by a hurricane. Almost instantly, she shoots Chanyeol a reproachful look, knowing that this was his plan from the start, considering Sehun has been standing beside the taller man for the duration of fire-making. Chanyeol smirks at her victoriously. 

“You cold?” Asks Sehun, nodding at the vigorous way she’s squeezing her beer between her hands. His voice is low-pitched and warm, making her shudder. He’s not aware that her grip is atrocious because she’s irritated, not cold, but to be very honest, she is a shivering mess. She decides to be truthful. It’s not him in particular she’s annoyed with.

“A little.” She confesses, shooting him a guilty pout. He did tell her to bring a jacket, and she wholeheartedly ignored him.

He takes off his jacket without question - or reprimand - and drapes it over her shoulders, snorting when she purrs like a comforted cat and snuggling in, the jean material slightly uncomfortable but warm nevertheless. “You’re such a child sometimes. Like, you have that sharp tongue of yours open twenty four seven and then you do something dumb like forgetting to bring a jacket. I don’t understand how you’re brilliant but also extremely irresponsible at the same time.”

“Now why’d I take care of myself when I have you to do my bidding?” She cheekily grins, winking.

He reaches over and pinches her nose between his knuckles, hard. She squawks, flinging her arms around, and he doesn’t release it until he sees his jacket falling off of her. He brings the jacket back to her while she whines, huffing and trying to cool her reddening nose with her hands. She shoots him a venomous glare but he merely opens the jacket for her. “Come one. Put your arms in.”

She does reluctantly, shifting her expression from between glaring and pouting childishly. He crawls closer and zips the jacket for her agonizingly slow, almost teasingly; his large fingers holding the zipper like a throwaway stone. Once the jacket is zipped up entirely around her neck, he guides his eyes up to her face, watching her as she screwed her lips in, her eyes avoiding his so she doesn’t end up attacking him, or poking her tongue at him like a juvenile, her nose preciously red. Then, slowly, his eyes turn adoring and fond. She’s not looking at him, shifting her attention elsewhere because she gets uncomfortable when people’s faces turn exceptionally close to hers, so she doesn’t notice the adoration painting his expression. But she does realize he’s taking a while not moving away.

“What?” She shifts her eyes to his, glaring and wholeheartedly waiting for the coming up insult. He does not, however, insult her.

“Nothing.” he shakes his head, prodding her nose in a gentle caress of apology, and then straightening. He looks away from her suspicious eyes, his cheeks suddenly feeling warm. 

“Aren’t you cold?” She tilts her chin at him, her hands finding residence in the toasty pockets of the large jacket. “You were the one parading around, happy that you’re the only one to bring your jacket, but now you don’t have one.”

“I’m one of those highly alternative woods that absorb heat from their surroundings,” he jokes, pressing his hands against the heat of the fire in front of him. “I’m shoveling all of these flames inside of my body. Don’t worry. I’m cool.”

She rolls her eyes but she can’t help but smile at him. He can be a bit of a dummy when he’s trying to appear ineffective to the world, and it’s exceptionally adorable. “You’ve been in the water since morning. I barely even saw you except for food breaks. You’re not cool. You’ll get sick in only a shirt,” she raises her eyebrows. “Maybe I can give you your jacket back?”

“No,” he rolls his eyes with a scoff, squeezing his hands into theatrical fists, “I’ll just steal Kyungsoo Hyung’s spare blanket.”

She splutters in surprise, “Why’d Kyungsoo travel around with a blanket and a spare one?” She shoots him a very worried, very crept out look. 

“He’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter