Unrequited?

Just Desserts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joseph

 

February

 

I cannot believe how Jayce is acting right now! She is getting on my nerves!

She has avoided me since Christmas, and I have had enough!

Every time I try to get her alone to talk, she is so busy, she has no time, or she ignores me all together.

Make no mistake, she is still friendly but in that non personal way, like we are mere acquaintances and not friends.

I am not a mere acquaintance though I have had my tongue down for goodness sakes!

She enjoyed it too! Whether she admits it or not we both know that she did!

Her family has even noticed.

Whenever I come over, she hides in her bedroom to avoid me.

This makes me feel even more pathetic and rejected.

Her mother gives me sympathetic look and Easton is plain confused.

“Did you and momma have a fight Joseph?” He asked me the other day.

“No, why would you ask that?”

“Because she goes to her room every time you come over or when she knows you are coming over, she gets suddenly tired or leaves.”

“Oh? She does? I didn’t notice.” I lie.

He looks at me raising his eyebrows like yeah right.

This kid is too observant.

A few days later after our weekly basketball game her brother mentioned something about it.

“What’s up with you and Jayce man?”

“Huh, nothing why does you ask?” I reply.

 

“You two are acting really weird lately, whenever you come by, she leaves the room did you two fight or something?

“No, we did not have a fight, she has just been ignoring me.”

“Before you came, she was at least talking to me she hot one minute then cold the next but now she has turned to a complete iceberg.”

“What you got to understand about my sister is that she is very stubborn and set in her ways.”

“She has been on her own for so long that she doesn’t think she needs a man, you’re the first one since Easton has been born that I have even seen her look at.”

“I find that hard to believe she is way too gorgeous.” I reply.

“This is true, but she has baggage and wall built around her heart that are so thick you’d need a sledgehammer to break through.”

“But take heart I know she likes you.”

“How can you tell? I sure can’t.”

“Because she let’s you spend time alone with her son, she is like a bear when it comes to Easton.”

“You have taken him overnight and she let you? Man, ya’ll are practically married at this point.” He chuckles.

I chuckle unconvinced.

“From your mouth to God’s ears.”

“It’s like that bro?” He asks shocked.

“I thought you two looked like more than friends, but I had no idea it was like that!”

I shrug and chuckle.

“I can’t help it I am in love with her.”

“Did you tell her any of this?”

“I would if I can get her alone long enough to hear me out!

“Well you better get a move on it because she is leaving in three weeks!”

“Wait what?” Since when? I ask frantically.

“Her contract is up in next month; it will be a year where have you been man?”

“Jeeze I forgot! How could I have forgot about that!?”

“We are taking Easton back home with us on Monday so can wrap everything up back here and head out on the fourth, I thought you knew you are taking over her position after all.”

“Well this is all news to me? When did she tell you all this?”

“Well in her defense we just talked about it a few days ago, but I don’t know how long she has known about you taking over the position.”

I jump up from the bench.

“I got to go I will holler at you later.”

“Alright, good luck buddy call me if you need me to hold her down while you talk to her ok.”

I chuckle that is not a bad idea.

“Will do, later.” I sprint to my car.

I sit inside and grab my phone off the charger.

I immediately dial her number and surprise it rings and rings going to voicemail.

I hang up calling right back and this time it goes straight to voicemail.

She has either declined my call or turned off her phone.

Ouch.

“So now you’re not accepting my calls Jayce?”

I cannot lie I feel some type of way about this.

This makes me feel even more like a pitiful lovesick puppy.

The worst of it all is I found out she is leaving from her brother of all people.

She did not even have the decency or courtesy to tell me herself.

I mean if she is not interested, she could have told me to get lost!

This hurts me more than her giving me the cold shoulder for the last two months.

But would you have listened? She has told you and shown you she is not interested so why put yourself through all this?

Plus, you always knew she was leaving what is the point?

I love her that is the point, I never expected any of this to happen.

I look at the dash it reads 9:15 pm.

It is much too late to go to her room, she has been asleep for hours already.

I will just have to see her at work tomorrow.

“Lucy you got some splaining to do.”

 

The Next Day:

I arrive at work an hour in a half early knowing it is her early shift.

I must talk to her, and I do not have time for any distractions or interruptions.

I find her in the pastry kitchen prepping the dry ingredients for the day’s cakes.

She is blasting Mary Mary and dancing all around.

She is adorable as usual, but I am too pissed at her to dwell o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter