Scaredy-cat

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It's a windy night. Donghae is on his black sofa. He doesn't fully sleep all the time. He can. In his own realm. But here... he occasionally does. It's when he knows Hyukjae's in a deep sleep. That's when he can sleep too. 

So right now... he's half-awake. He can hear the howls. Of the wind. On the doors too. He brought the table in. The chair. From the balcony. Because they fell over. The shrub is out.

But Donghae can sense... that Hyukjae's restless. Is it the weather? He is a scaredy-cat. Maybe this is keeping him up. 

There's a crash.

Donghae jumps up. Pulls the curtains--

It's the shrub. The container's split open.

.

He should've brought it in too.

Donghae sighs. Slides the door open.

"Donghaee!"

He steps back in. Was that Hyukjae's scream?

"Donghae?!"

He hurries to Hyukjae's room. Enters. Flicks on the light. He hears a gasp. Hyukjae's sitting up in bed. Clutching his blanket around himself. His eyes are shut.

"What's the matter?" Donghae asks.

"Donghae?"

The boy opens his eyes. He's white. Seeing Donghae... the boy tumbles out. Rushes to him. Throws his arms around his waist.

"Kid..." Donghae says. "Are you okay?"

"Something -- someone's here! I h-heard it!"

"No? That was just on the balcony..."

"They came through the balcony?" Hyukjae breathes. His arms tighten. He shoves his face more into Donghae's chest. "Please make them go away, please, please--"

"What are you talking about? It's your plant on the balcony. The wind knocked it over. There's no one here."

"No, please check, please, please--"

Donghae curses. He has to do what Hyukjae says. He grabs the boy off his feet. Walks with him clinging to his body. Donghae turns on the lights everywhere. On the balcony too. He stops at the doors. They're still open. The cold wind's shaking them.

"Look, monkey!" Donghae says. Loudly.

Hyukjae turns half his face.

"That broke. That's what you heard."

Donghae slides the door shut. Blocks out the noise.

Hyukjae doesn't let him go. "A-Are you sure?"

"Of course I'm sure! I heard it break."

"W-What if... someone broke it?"

Donghae rolls his eyes. "Yes, someone climbed onto your balcony and kicked your stupid dying tree."

Hyukjae's arms get looser. He sniffs. Clasps Donghae's shirt. He steps close to the glass doors. Looks out.

"So it's the wind?" he says. His voice is small.

"Yes."

"It's... it's not your demon friends?"

"No? Why would they just disappear? Besides, they don't come unless I call them a hundred times, those s."

Hyukjae keeps looking out. Rain starts. His fingers let go of Donghae's shirt. He breathes deeply.

"Okay..." He turns back. "Um... I'm sorry..."

Donghae observes his face. His remaining tears. Hyukjae's truly frightened. Donghae pats his head.

"It's okay. Go sleep."

"Okay..." Hyukjae says. Quietly. "Thank you..."

 

 

---

 

 

Hyukjae likes to dance. He's a good dancer. He wants to join some dance club. Donghae had watched him count his spare money. Which he has more of now. Because Donghae covers his own bus fare. The groceries. The phone bills. And whatever else Hyukjae doesn't notice.

But the boy still seems hesitant.

"Why don't you join?" Donghae finally says.

Hyukjae's surprised. That Donghae's watching him. He turns off his phone screen.

"Join what?"

"That dance thing."

"W-What dance... thing...?" Hyukjae mumbles. Turns his back to him.

The patience... to get something out of this twig...

"Do you want me to go with you?" Donghae says.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter