In Power

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Are you sure it's a hundred years?" Ryeowook says.

"Mm..."

Donghae's at the place Kyuhyun got. He's looking out the window. Hyukjae's building can be seen. The paths, too. To his school. Work.

"So you stick to him until he dies?"

"I suppose so."

"They all die before that, Donghae."

"Mm."

"Can't you just convince him to let you go?"

Donghae turns. "Why...?"

"Because... you seem to care about him? Kyuhyun said the boy hasn't asked you to do anything a human can't do."

"That is correct."

"Then tell him to let you free. Even if you don't use your powers for him, you could affect his soul just by being bound to him. Who knows what could happen to him?"

Donghae's perturbed, too.

Ryeowook adds, "I know demons who have managed to persuade the human to break their spell because they promised them their suffering would stop. If they're still sane, then you can reason with them. Otherwise, they'll just... end up taking their own lives."

Donghae looks away.

If a human takes their own life... the demon doesn't die. Humans have done that. Because they want to kill their pain. Kill the demon with them.

But humans... just don't know everything.

They could attain knowledge. To bind demons. Enslave the most powerful ones. But they're never the ones truly in power. They can't be. Their bodies and minds are too weak.

"So?" Ryeowook says.

"Hm?"

"Has he shown any signs of suffering?"

"Suffering? Because of me being near him? The twig's been suffering before me, Ryeowook. Besides... why would a human go to the trouble if they were doing fine? They all do it for a reason."

"Yeah... but they shouldn't? Their reasons are ed up, and they're always using us to hurt their own! Why do I feel like you're defending these stupid humans now? You spent a few weeks with an idiot boy and you've switched sides?"

Donghae laughs softly.

"No. I'm just trying to understand this monkey. I want to know why he's done this and how. Because he's mostly... quite nice... until he gets scared or uncomfortable."

Then he becomes a brat.

Ryeowook leans on the window pane near him.

"Then isn't it imperative to make him let you go? If he's nice and innocent? And young. What if something starts changing in him?"

"I have not used my powers on, near, or for him."

But Ryeowook is still right.

"Oh," Donghae says. "He'll be done school soon. I have to bring him home."

"What important duties you have, king."

"Shut up. Make sure Kyuhyun doesn't dethrone me. I will be back."

 

----

 

Hyukjae's happier today, too. He's grinning on the bus.

"You are excited to eat," Donghae comments. Quietly.

He still can't ask questions.

"I'm going to have spicy ramen!" Hyukjae whispers.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter