Choice

Demon King
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It's evening. Hyukjae's slightly better. Donghae's making him some food. His ears are strained. To the faint mumbling.

Hyukjae's speaking to Heechul.

There hasn't been a direct order. To not listen. The door's open too.

Well, it's... because of Donghae. He left it open. Because he's the one going in and out. Taking care of Hyukjae. The boy's been in bed mostly.

Donghae gets a tray. Places the bowl of hot soup on it. Water. More medicine for fever. Then he steps quietly. Towards the bedroom.

He stops in the doorway.

Hyukjae's wrapped up in blankets. But he's moved out of the bed. Sat on a stool instead. Near the window. He's facing away.

"Chullie, no... I'm already better..." Hyukjae voice's small. Frail.

It doesn't convince Heechul. Donghae hears him yell. Catches some of his words.

"But I'm resting!" Hyukjae says. Loudly. It makes him cough. He covers the phone. Holds it away. Muffles himself in his blanket.

Heechul's voice is sharp.

"You think rest is enough? Are you eating? Are you staying hydrated? I'm coming, that's it--"

"Nooo," Hyukjae almost cries. "Please... Heechul, would you let mom's work go to waste like that?"

Donghae takes a silent step back. If the boy sees him... he'll get ordered. To stay out of his room. That can't happen now. Hyukjae needs to be looked after.

But... the door's open. So Donghae can... just... hear...

"Chullie... don't. You have so many of them around you... whoever you send could be attacked o-or used and then... you'll just be giving them the address... it's not worth it..."

Donghae closes his eyes. Steps backwards again. He's afraid. Of Hyukjae abruptly ending his call. Donghae can't be two ing seconds from the door. Hyukjae will know. The monkey's shockingly keen.

Sometimes.

"Okay... yes... I have everything... I got it before cuz... cuz I could tell I was getting sick... yeah... nooo... I-I do dress warm... yeah. I've been wearing... all the clothes you sent... mm... yeah, I told the school yesterday... I told them I'll miss a day or two... nmm... kay..."

Donghae's taken more steps backwards. He's rolled his eyes. Hyukjae dresses warm? He could tell he was getting sick? The twig was about to go to school. He thought his dizziness was an earthquake. 

Idiot.

"I promise... yeah, I'll call you tomorrow morning... yeah, video. Kay. No, it's okay, don't send anything. Mm. Okay. Good night." There's a brief silence. Then, "Uggh..."

Donghae slides further. Back. He waits for the plop. Of Hyukjae falling into bed. Then waits longer.

Two minutes.

Four minutes.

But he should wait even longer. Yes. To be safe. From the boy's pouty miffed orders.

"Ddohaee..." the boy's voice calls. Softly.

Ddohae?

His feet move forward anyway. Immediately.

"Hyukjae," Donghae says. "I brought you something to eat. Is your throat still sore?"

"Mmm..."

"Let's check your temperature too."

"Kay..."

"How's your hand?" Donghae examines the bandage.

"It's okay..."

"Good. Try to eat a little more this time, please."

"I am..."

"You can take another pill only if your bowl is half empty."

Hyukjae pouts. Blinks sadly at the tray in his lap. "Okay..."

Sick Hyukjae's such a good boy. Donghae prefers him like this. He pats his cute head. 

 

 

----

 

A few hours later... Hyukjae's about to fall asleep. Donghae remembers to ask.

"Hey, kid..." Donghae says. Quietly. Touches his shoulder.

"Hm?" Hyukjae's eyes are droopy.

"I need to speak to someone--"

Hyukjae grabs Donghae's arm.

"I'll be here," Donghae reassures. "Just out on the balcony. Or if you don't mind, just in the kitchen? I'll even leave your door open. But I'm here. Okay?"

Hyukjae bites his lip.

"It'll take five minutes," Donghae says.

"Is it... Kyuhyun?" Hyukjae whispers. "You don't have to get mad at him..."

"Why?" Donghae chuckles. "You're afraid of making more enemies in the underworld?"

Hyukjae nods. Apprehensively. Donghae's not amused anymore. He sighs.

"Don't worry about that. I don't know who I'm going to call -- but if Kyuhyun does come, I won't smack him. Alright?"

"Okay..."

Hyukjae lets go. Hugs his pillow again. Curls into his blanket. His eyes are wide open

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter