The Singer

Story of Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A man and woman sat on the stairs of a book store, each with a book on their hands. The only sound could be heard was the sound of people walking around or the sound of book being placed back on the shelf.

Despite the effort to concentrate on the book she was holding, the woman kept glancing at the man beside her. His pointy nose and sharp jaw never failed to mesmerized her since the first time they met. The way he furrowed his eyebrow as he concentrates on the book makes him hundred times more attractive.

Admiral Yi Sunsin: The Battle of Myeongnyang was written on the front page of the book, "What a fascinating book to read," she thought.

No more appealed by the book in her hand, she left it beside her and place her head on top of her knees, she scanned the reading lounge with her eyes and could not help to feel envy looking at couples who were also enjoying a book store date. The difference was their affection for each other, simply by holding hand or resting their head on the other’s shoulder.

"Will I be able to do that?" she asked in her mind while looking at the handsome man beside her.

The man looked up from his book, “Do you feel bored?” he mouthed, which she answered with a nod. He stood up and signaled for them to go out.

They were walking side by side along Seoul night. Despite the fact that it was their third date, the awkwardness between them had not went away. Due to the busy street, they were forced to walk closer to the point they can feel the back of their hand brushed with each other.

The delicate fingers started to reach out towards the masculine fingers, nevertheless the owner of the other hand quickly withdrew his hand and put it in his pocket.

The man cleared his throat, “Thank you for today, Eunjin.”

“It was me who should thank you Sehun oppa, I never knew a date in the book store would be so...” she paused, trying to find the right word, “Compelling.”

Sehun gestured for them to sit on one of the benches. They sat in silence for a while, until Eunjin broke it, “So, is this the end of our date?”

Sehun nodded but made no comment, Eunjin sighed, “This is our third date, but it is quite clear that you are not interested in me. Now that I think about it, it was always me who suggested we go on a date.”

“I'm sorry I gave you that impression. I do enjoy our dates.”

“On our first date, Daeun Sunbae was with us the whole time, and you barely talked. Our second date, we went to watch a movie, we were too focused on the movie to talk to each other. Today, we went to the book store, which naturally we can’t talk much. If I count each time, you actually talked to me, I’m sure it won't reach fifty times in total.”

“I’m just not the type who talk much,” replied Sehun.

“I don’t mind a man who doesn’t talk much, I mind a man who is physically with me but his mind is with someone else,” Eunjin turned to Sehun. “You are so wrong, if you think I don’t notice your blank expression every time we talked. Being someone who doesn’t talk much is different with being disinterested.”

The only thing Sehun can say was, “I’m sorry.”

Eunjin sighed once again, “I don’t know who she is, but she is lucky to have your loyalty. And if she can’t see it, then she is not worth your time.”

“It is complicated.”

“That is always what they said,” Eunjin stood up and brush her skirt. “I believe this would be our last date,” she reached out her hand.

Sehun took her hand, “As your former potential lover, I hope you rot in hell with your one side love. But as someone who thinks of you as a good man, I hope you can find someone who can have your full attention and forget about the woman who doesn’t appreciate you,” Eunjin smiled.

Sehun smiled at Eunjin’s remark, “I’m sorry, I also hope you find someone much better than me soon.”

With that, the man and woman turned around and went on their separate ways.

 

❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧

 

Daeun was proofreading an article about an interview with a renowned actress, when a coworker dropped three more files on her desk. “Oops, can you also please proofread these articles?” followed by a fake smile.

Flabbergasted by the increase of work for the past few weeks, Daeun asked, “Sunbae, can’t I just use the grammar software?”

“If you’re just going to use the software, why do we bother to hire you?”

“Because you are torturing me for not being insider source for Jongin-Seyeon scandal” Daeun muttered.

The employee continued, “There is always room for error, it is always better to be sure,” and she walked away.

Daeun took a deep breath in an effort to calm herself, however her anger rose when she saw the workload difference between her and the person sitting next to her.

While Daeun was concentrating on her work, Seulbin asked, “How are your friends doing?”

Daeun halted her activity for second before continuing, “They’re fine.”

“Is Seyeon having a hard time adjusting to the royal family?”

Daeun paused her work and starred at Seulbin, “You should not say her name casually like that, it is Seyeon Gunbuin.”

Seulbin shrugged, “Well yeah, but the wedding hasn’t been held yet.”

“Even the King calls her Gunbuin, who are you to not do the same? Besides, I think it’s inappropriate for someone who doesn’t know her personally to have a negative opinion about her.”

“T-that is not what I mean—“ Seulbin tried to explain, only to be cut by Daeun, “Whatever. I just want to say, you are awfully interested in Jongin Gun and Seyeon Gunbuin’s affair, and it is not appropriate to talk about private life at work,” then she went back to work.

 

Daeun sat back on her seat after coming from the manager office, when she checked her phone, she saw a notification from Jongin asking the group to hangout for bowling tonight, which followed by response from the group that they agree with his suggestion.

“I guess, today will be better after all,” Daeun thought to herself.

 

❧ ❧ ❧ ❧ ❧

 

The time is three hours before the appointed time for the group to gather, Kyungsoo and Jinjoo were sitting by the Han River. The gap between them would not make people assume that they know each other.

“I’m sorry for not remembering that I kissed you,” Kyungsoo began.

Jinjoo stared at the river, “It was actually understandable, you were very drunk. I was just extremely embarrassed that I’m the only one who remembered and I even kissed you in the middle of the day, with zero drops of alcohol.”

“I do remember that kiss though,” Kyungsoo tried to make a joke, in which Jinjoo gave a half smile. Kyungsoo added, “I guess you took one step ahead, but I took ten steps back that day huh?” Jinjoo nodded.

“That doesn’t mean that I lost my chance, do I?” Kyungsoo asked while trying to read Jinjoo’s expression.

“Hm… you have about twenty percent

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter